Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Install teh TSX MP3 Player

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2004, 05:00 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Install teh TSX MP3 Player

While jumping around teh Acura ste, I noticed the TSX has an optional MP3 in dash palyer, has anyone given any thought into if this can be isntalled into the TL? Or, does the release of this diswelder bronze mean that we can burn MP3's onto a DVD-A

I just have too many songs not to get then into the vehicle some how. Since I am waiting on the 05 TL, maby they will release a firmware update for teh DVD deck.

Thanks
Old 04-01-2004, 06:35 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
For the umpteenth time.. DVD-A is not a DATA/FileSystem/File format. It's a streaming audio bitstream just like CD-A (yes, it's DATA, but not reading files and processing them). So that still means you cannot store mp3's in their data format on the drive and have the TL read them. You can convert them back to WAV and burn them onto DVD-A in 44/16 format.
Old 04-01-2004, 06:39 AM
Team Camel Executive VP

bollingm- When I first got my TL I too lusted for MP3 functionality but the XM radio is so comprehensive that I find that getting 120 songs on 6 CDR's is more than enough for the average commute.

Don't go the DVD-A burning route as you'll just get 99 songs with no folder/menu structure.....lots of skip-skip-skip to get to track 55 and lots of memorization of what the hell track 55 is with no ID3.

Alpine is working with harness manufacturers and Apple on full integration of the iPod into *some* of their factory head units. It remains to be seen if the TL will be one of the ones chosen for this modification in the future.
Old 04-01-2004, 06:39 AM
Team Anthracite Member

From what I have seen with discWelder Bronze is, that you can't burn a mp3 directly to dvd. It uses wav or aiff files from memory. Downloaded the demo to check it out. I am still trying to find a program that would allow the burning of mp3's directly to dvd-a, doesn't have to be inthe 5.1 format, so if anyone has any ideas, please let us know.

Bunyip
Old 04-01-2004, 06:48 AM
Team Camel Executive VP

bunyip- Do a search for DW Bronze as that's been covered by Mike I believe. Re-ripping is certainly the better approach. If you can only get 99 tracks on the disc, why not have 'em in the best quality 2 ch stereo possible?
Old 04-01-2004, 08:59 AM
Instructor

An answer to your first question: (((quote: While jumping around teh Acura ste, I noticed the TSX has an optional MP3 in dash palyer, has anyone given any thought into if this can be isntalled into the TL?))))

I asked if I could add the TSX MP3/CD player as a second disk player to the TL, rather than replace the DVD-A system. The answer was NO. The salesperson gave the impression of actually having researched the issue internally, but here answer as to why was vague--space, DVD-A set-up.
Old 04-01-2004, 09:03 AM
Safety Car

not only does skipping to track 55 suck but when you get a scratch on the disc it doesn't knock out a few seconds of a song but a few songs.
Old 04-01-2004, 09:08 AM
VTEC HoooA

Alpine does not make the factory head unit, so will the harness they are working on work with the Panasonic unit??
Old 04-01-2004, 09:45 AM
Advanced

Tristero ... thanks, to me finding some way to get the OEM MP3 player in there is the best solution.
Old 04-01-2004, 09:49 AM
Team Camel Executive VP

Nodoze- Alpine is the OEM for the navi system / screen.....so if you've got nav there's a 50/50 shot that you'll someday be able tp plug your iPod into a hidden wire in the armrest and use the touchscreen to navigate folders and see the ID3 tags right there on the screen where they belong. BJ
Old 04-01-2004, 10:24 AM
Racer

I'm waitin' for the day when I can have my ipods ID's displayed and control it on screen!
Old 04-01-2004, 10:55 AM
Advanced

Clarification

For the folks wanting to "burn MP3 directly to DVD-A"...just to be completely clear, it is not possible for the Acura TL stereo to play back MP3 encoded songs. It would take significant brain surgery to make it possible: basically, MP3 is a data compression format, and the current player in the TL does not work with compressed music files. The DVD-A format is uncompressed: if you want to put MP3 encoded songs on a DVD-A disk, you need to uncompress them into a WAV or the other format whose name escapes me at the moment.

You will *not* find any magic software that will somehow make a disk full of MP3's readable by the Acura, short of decompressing them. An example of software that will take an MP3 and decompress it is dbPowerAmp: do a Google search on it and you'll track it down. All Diskwelder Bronze (or any other DVD-A burning software) can do to help us is take uncompressed audio files and burn them correctly on a DVD-R. Even if it were possible to put an MP3 on a DVD-A disk, our Acuras would have no idea what to do with it.

What I want is some way of a) quickly and easily creating my own "compilations" of music for replay in my TL; and b) having those compilations organized in some human navigable form, preferably using the Acura TL Navi display. I don't really care what the underlying format is, so long as it fulfills these requirements and produces sound playback quality roughly equivalent to 192 kb/s encoded MP3. Hooking an iPod to the stereo (maybe via a cassette interface or some such) would get me the first thing I want and part of the second today. If Alpine supports the Acura TL with their new interface, I might get everything I want. I think I'll wait a little while and see how Alpine's interface works out.

By the way, I am *not* an iPod fanboy: I don't own one currently and, unless it interfaces as above to my TL, likely never would. I think the iPod is a reasonably good music player with a decent user interface, but I think the 'buzz' around it is blown way out of proportion. Probably the most useful feature the iPod has in the context of this discussion is its control interface, that allows its song navigation and labelling data to be transferred to an external device (E.G.: to the future Alpine iPod interface).