Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Injen vs AEM Intake

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2004, 03:12 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Injen vs AEM Intake

So yeah, I've already searched but really haven't found a post with head to head comparisons.
Old 08-28-2004, 03:19 PM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

Don't think the AEM is out yet so "what's the point"? Edited - Apparently the AEM is now out (saw it in another post just below this one). I guess my question now is "Why create another of these posts?" There are a LOT of Injen vs. AEM debates out there. This is just one more. Waste of space IMHO.
Old 08-28-2004, 03:23 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
on stillen i think its out. u have ot call for the price but im pretty sure its available. i just had a debate with my cousin for making a deciion on getting AEM CAI or INJEN
Old 08-28-2004, 03:47 PM
Racer

I'm just asking ahead of time because it would be useless for me to add an intake right now anyways. I'm not sure when I'm allowed to start flooring it but the manual said from 600 - 1000 miles take it easy. I just want to be able to pick one up as soon as I hit 1000.
Old 08-28-2004, 03:57 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by donkeykang
So yeah, I've already searched but really haven't found a post with head to head comparisons.
K&N is shipping their cold air intake. It can also be used in a short ram config. I have ordered this unit . I will post the results.
Old 08-28-2004, 04:40 PM
Instructor

I'm still undecided. I'm leaning towards Comptech. I spoke with some Honda guys and they love the Comptech. A few people recommended Injen as well. Others posted problems with AEM.
Old 08-28-2004, 05:37 PM
Burning Brakes

if you look at the AEM and the K&N Typhoon, its pretty much alike. i think it is one and the same. same manufacturer slapping on different brand namees/badges on the CAI. i would probably go with the Injen....3" pipe!!
Old 08-28-2004, 05:47 PM
AM MT Navi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Anyone know if there a CAI w/ bypass valve available for the TL yet? Do comptech CAIs usually have a bypass? thanks
Old 08-28-2004, 05:53 PM
Burning Brakes

i do not think comptech has a cai yet. the car really comes with a built in cai. i guess, these aftermarket cais are just increasing the volume and maybe velocity.
Old 08-28-2004, 06:04 PM
AM MT Navi

Originally Posted by 3PUTT
i do not think comptech has a cai yet. the car really comes with a built in cai. i guess, these aftermarket cais are just increasing the volume and maybe velocity.
I was wondering if comptech CAI for other honda/acura models have had bypass valves, to see if its a possibility that the TL's CAI will have one or possibly an optional one.
I remember seeing a member in another TL forum claiming he gained 12 WHP from the Injen intake (i believe). Seems like a significant amount of hp for an intake. If this in inaccurate, please clue me in.
Old 08-28-2004, 06:16 PM
Powered by Guinness

The Injen and K&N are basically the same shape and size and produce similar results. I anticipate the AEM is probably about the same - unless they use magic paint or something. How much difference can their be between aluminum tubes with cotton filters stuck on the end? I went with Injen because it was the first one available and the only one with a black finish. It looks really sharp.

Comptech's icebox is a different animal - basically a tube cai with the filter surrounded by an OEM-style filter box. I think it's quite a nice setup. If I had to guess, I'd say it will probably be developed as part of the supercharger packaging.
Old 08-28-2004, 06:18 PM
Powered by Guinness

Originally Posted by shotcaller88
I was wondering if comptech CAI for other honda/acura models have had bypass valves, to see if its a possibility that the TL's CAI will have one or possibly an optional one.
I remember seeing a member in another TL forum claiming he gained 12 WHP from the Injen intake (i believe). Seems like a significant amount of hp for an intake. If this in inaccurate, please clue me in.
I gained 8 hp compared to my 'stock airbox with resonator removed' baseline.
Old 08-28-2004, 06:23 PM
Shift_faster

Originally Posted by Aegir
Comptech's icebox is a different animal - basically a tube cai with the filter surrounded by an OEM-style filter box. I think it's quite a nice setup. If I had to guess, I'd say it will probably be developed as part of the supercharger packaging.
Aegir:

Can you explain this to me? I can't seem to picture this setup. Why is it better? Or is it better? Are there more gains? Less chance of hydrolock?

Thanks.
Old 08-28-2004, 06:41 PM
Powered by Guinness

Originally Posted by PoochaKannInc
Aegir:

Can you explain this to me? I can't seem to picture this setup. Why is it better? Or is it better? Are there more gains? Less chance of hydrolock?

Thanks.
There's a good diagram in the install instructions that explains the construction better than I could. http://www.comptechusa.com/instructions/ins110.pdf The icebox produced good power gains in the second-gen TL/CL's. It does not produce any of the part-throttle 'whistling' type noises that are common with aluminum tube intakes. Filter access is much easier - no crawling under the fender, and the air filter should stay a bit cleaner. It seems like it would be possible but harder to hydrolock with an icebox. The air horn would have to be submerged and it's fairly high up.
Old 08-29-2004, 12:49 PM
Cruisin'

Injen vs. AEM

I went ahead and purchased the Injen cold air intake system because of the availibility and the inexpensive price tag that NOPI.COM had on their web site $166.77 + shipping. Injen posted the dyno on their web site and it had some numbers that confused me a little, it said that the stock TL was putting 202.3 HP to the wheels and only 182.5 lbs-ft of torque a whopping 66.7 hp. drop and a 55.5 lbs-ft drop from what the TL is said to have ??????????????WHY SO MUCH?????????????. Injen did accomplish an 11.4 hp and 3.5 lbs-ft increase. During instalation as i pulled out the 5ft of tubing for the stock intake system I took the liberty to make the hole in the front bumper for the stock cold air intake LARGER so at higher speeds it acts more like a ram air system. It sounds great especially when VTEC kicks in, and I have noticed a major top end power increase but from stop it does'nt feel like it has as much torque, it might be me just imagining things.
Old 08-29-2004, 01:49 PM
Shift_faster

Originally Posted by Aegir
There's a good diagram in the install instructions that explains the construction better than I could. http://www.comptechusa.com/instructions/ins110.pdf The icebox produced good power gains in the second-gen TL/CL's. It does not produce any of the part-throttle 'whistling' type noises that are common with aluminum tube intakes. Filter access is much easier - no crawling under the fender, and the air filter should stay a bit cleaner. It seems like it would be possible but harder to hydrolock with an icebox. The air horn would have to be submerged and it's fairly high up.
The link doesn't seem to work, but I do understand. I looked at some pics of other 2nd gen icebox installs. Thanks for the help!
Old 08-30-2004, 11:13 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by AcuraTLInjen
I went ahead and purchased the Injen cold air intake system because of the availibility and the inexpensive price tag that NOPI.COM had on their web site $166.77 + shipping. Injen posted the dyno on their web site and it had some numbers that confused me a little, it said that the stock TL was putting 202.3 HP to the wheels and only 182.5 lbs-ft of torque a whopping 66.7 hp. drop and a 55.5 lbs-ft drop from what the TL is said to have ??????????????WHY SO MUCH?????????????. Injen did accomplish an 11.4 hp and 3.5 lbs-ft increase. During instalation as i pulled out the 5ft of tubing for the stock intake system I took the liberty to make the hole in the front bumper for the stock cold air intake LARGER so at higher speeds it acts more like a ram air system. It sounds great especially when VTEC kicks in, and I have noticed a major top end power increase but from stop it does'nt feel like it has as much torque, it might be me just imagining things.
When auto manufacturers advertise HP of a vehicle they always provided the HP rating at the flywheel instead of at the wheels.
Old 08-30-2004, 12:03 PM
Team NightHawk VP

keep us updated as if that is the intake with or without the pcv valve..thanks
Old 08-31-2004, 10:25 AM
Cruisin'

Power To Flywheel

I Know That The Manufacture Always Post The Hp At The Flywheel, What I Wanna Know Is Why Is Their That Much Power Loss From The Flywheel, Through The Powertrain And To The Street.-------- 66.7 Less Hp And 55.5 Less Lbs-ft
Old 08-31-2004, 10:30 AM
Shift_faster

I Know That The Manufacture Always Post The Hp At The Flywheel, What I Wanna Know Is Why Is Their That Much Power Loss From The Flywheel, Through The Powertrain And To The Street.-------- 66.7 Less Hp And 55.5 Less Lbs-ft
Various losses due to friction, wheels, type of transmission, etc. etc. I don't know where you got your numbers on the losses, but the 6MT TL dynos at around 220-225 and is rated at 270.

Here is another thread on whp vs. hp measured at the crank.
http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showt...eel+horsepower
Old 09-23-2004, 09:09 PM
Racer

Just reviving the thread. I read a post a while ago that the AEM intake had been realeased. If people could post their results that would be really helpful. I'm looking to purchase an intake soon and from many posts I read that AEM claims more HP gain, although to me that is doubtful.

Also to Road Rage I remember you wanted to see a dyno for the Injen Intake

Here's what Injen has posted on their website:
http://www.injen.com/webpages/testin...%2004%20TL.GIF

Also how about the Comptech Ice Box? Or K&N?
Old 10-08-2004, 02:26 PM
Team NightHawk VP

called stillen today and they said aem has no dates on the release of the cai
Old 03-09-2005, 03:42 PM
Racer

First time on the boards in almost a month...I read that the AEM is now out...so I'm gonna give this thread a bump...
Old 03-10-2005, 10:18 AM
TLoser

had the AEM intake in my car for a little over a week now and it has its (+) and (-)

overall I love it and would do it again if I had the choice...

There is a whistling at certain intervalls of acceleration...it can only be heard when driving with no music on and the windows down though so it is manageable...

The growl at full throttle is enough to make you drive around in 2nd and 3rd gear for a few days and eat gas like a mad man...all in good fun...

There is a slight performance addition from it although you won't notice it until you really get on the trottle...its tough to notice a few extra horses on daily driving...

and if I can figure out how to post pics i will put some up....
Old 03-10-2005, 10:59 AM
321 whp SAE

Willy.. I second that.. nice growl when you romp on it.. performance not really noticeable..

did you reset your ecu?
Old 03-10-2005, 01:37 PM
Turbo kit in the works!!!

Originally Posted by bklynpanman
Willy.. I second that.. nice growl when you romp on it.. performance not really noticeable..

did you reset your ecu?
Reset your ecu? Why?
Old 03-10-2005, 01:48 PM
Racer

Also, my biggest issue in not getting the Injen intake and waiting for the AEM was the loss of low-end torque, how is that with the AEM? I hope someone dynos their AEM soon because I'm really interested in the results...my biggest concern is torque, not so much the 20 HP AEM claims.

^ to nicetl, i think he's asking because by resetting your ECU, your ECU can "relearn" the new style that you're driving to and become accustomed to the new amount of air flow going into the engine.
Old 03-10-2005, 02:26 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
I thought the TL's ECU was difficult to reset so it would "learn" new driving habits and get used to the increase in air flow. Comptech ran into that problem with the ecu registering the added power from the supercharger. The ULEV rating makes it harder to recognize power increases due to increased fuel/air.
Old 03-11-2005, 05:08 PM
Racer

f