Sponsored by:

Injen CAI Dyno

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2004, 03:07 PM
Powered by Guinness

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Injen CAI Dyno

Test conditions:
81F, 245/40/18 tires @ 38psi, 8100 miles, 3rd gear pulls (about the same as the baseline run).

Car was run 'off the street' (hot) for two pulls. Best power was after cooling for about five minutes with the fans – just like in the baseline last week. I asked about the 3rd gear pulls and found out that the previous dyno run was also in 3rd gear. This is a correction from my last post.

Baseline pull was done last week. The only modification was that the intake resonator and ducting had been removed, leaving just the stock filter box with a new Acura filter. http://acura-tl.com/forums/showpost....9&postcount=39

Gains in hp and torque were observed after 4000rpm. Peaks were up about 8hp and 4ftlbs.

Why weren’t the gains higher? This is where the pitfall of pulling the resonator prior to the baseline becomes a problem. Theory 1 is that my baseline isn’t really stock. Warning - Potential for endless speculation! On my first test, I compared the results to the results from three other 6MT TL dynos and determined there was effectively no gain. My baseline is a bit lower to 4500 and about even above that with the average of the other three I compared, but trying to conclude something from that involves a lot of speculation. Some other things I’ve thought about are gear run (3rd vs. unknown for the other pulls), tires (wider), and weather differences (car differences not air differences between a summer dyno and a winter dyno). Any or all of these could muck up comparisons. Maybe the intake mod did add a bit of power, stealing a bit of the Injen’s thunder? This could account for some of the difference between advertised and actual gains. Just keep all this speculation in mind if trying to compare this dyno to another.

Theory 2 is that the advertised results had more cooldown, comparison differences, dyno differences, car differences, or some other factors, resulting in bigger gains. Not uncommon and I wouldn’t be surprised if that was part of it.

Theory 3 is that about 10 hp is what one should expect from a CAI. These are good gains, my car is making good power, and I should be happy. I’m going with Theory 3 unless I see more data (like more TLs on the same dyno) that makes me think otherwise. I'm happy.

An interesting data point: All dynos are different, but the guys at DSR told me stock 350z’s make about 235hp on their dyno. In their opinion my TL is putting out significantly more power than the 270 it is rated at.

For those in the San Jose area, the guys at DynoSpot Racing are great. http://www.dynospotracing.com/default.htm

Old 07-08-2004, 04:29 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts
Aegir - good stuff. Hard to make inferences from this, though, as IAT's have to be identical to make even the slightest significance out of a run like this. And Just the differences in the filters can swing a few ponies here and there - you did not have a low-restriction air filter on the baseline, did you? The other thing is you removed the res, which is a related upstream part of the tuned runner plate in the TL - I think you might actually have seen an advantage of the stock system WITh the res because they use Helmholtz tuning to optimise the mid-range juice. Peak-HP is fine, and important for a bit higher trap speed, and if you track at consistently high RPM. In a stock system, the added mid-range TQ can be an advantage in "street encounters".

Where does the INJEN draw air from, and what filter elemkent does it use?

Thx for the excellent post and picture - keep up the good work.
Old 07-08-2004, 05:20 PM
Powered by Guinness

Thanks. My decision not to dyno prior to removing the resonator has been eating at me as I've looked this over. Unfortunately, my work has been more spontaneous than methodical. I regret that it clouds analysis, but not enough to reinstall it and return to the dyno for a proper baseline. That can be someone elses adventure. You are right on with the IAT comment. This car is temperature sensitive. I probably could have made 240+ if I had cooled the car for an hour or so. I guess I'd be in the parts business then! The best I could do was follow the same cooldown process between runs in both sessions. A good OBDII scanner is on my Christmas list.

Power improvements were where I was looking for them. I'm typically between 4500 and 6500 when I'm off 'soothing my soul' in the twisty hills out here. Of course, I'd like more. Maybe exhaust in the future - but it may be hard to improve on what's there - very efficient. I'm still a bit up in the air on whether or not the louder sound is right for this car - but I do enjoy it.

The initial run was with a new Honda OEM air filter - installed just before heading to the dyno. I would have liked to have tried a high flow filter, but the only one available so far is the 'trim to fit' K&N. I was hoping that using a new OEM filter would minimize any filter variables.

The new filter appears to be a K&N cone (says Injen). It draws air from behind the bumper air inlet.
Old 07-08-2004, 05:34 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Post #2000

Thank you for this excellent post, Aegir. Even though I'm not into engine mods, I learned something from it. I think that 10 hp is a reasonable gain from a CAI, so I agree with your Theory 3.

Old 07-08-2004, 05:37 PM
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
Not sure if dynos are effected by rim size but does anyone think it could be a factor? Usually those guys will simulate road driving by taking hood off and using oversized blowers to get a little more air going.
Old 07-08-2004, 07:22 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't know how much this would factor either, but after my last shop visit when I got the new ECU programming, you'd have thought I got a new engine with 25 more HP and a new tranny. Some serious power change came with that firmware flash. Maybe some of the cars were at different levels.

Just another thought in the bundle.
Old 07-08-2004, 11:12 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Though the TL may be putting out more than 270hp ... it's still doggy dog slow in 5AT format....
Old 07-08-2004, 11:21 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sherlock
I don't know how much this would factor either, but after my last shop visit when I got the new ECU programming, you'd have thought I got a new engine with 25 more HP and a new tranny. Some serious power change came with that firmware flash. Maybe some of the cars were at different levels.
Please elaborate on this ECU flash upgrade.
Old 07-09-2004, 10:04 AM
Racer

Yes. Please elaborate.....
Old 07-09-2004, 01:59 PM
SOLD

Originally Posted by PeterUbers
Though the TL may be putting out more than 270hp ... it's still doggy dog slow in 5AT format....
Right, nothing until about 3K in 5AT. Aegir, do you believe power was taken away with the removal of the resonator? I have my fingers crossed that b/c K&N already promotes increased airflow, with the piping removed and the filter, it will be even better. Of course the only way to find out for sure is a dyno...anyone know a dyno place in CO? I would also like to know about this ECU, I wasn't aware they had any upgrades as of yet.
Old 07-09-2004, 02:35 PM
Powered by Guinness

Originally Posted by NightRider
Right, nothing until about 3K in 5AT. Aegir, do you believe power was taken away with the removal of the resonator? I have my fingers crossed that b/c K&N already promotes increased airflow, with the piping removed and the filter, it will be even better. Of course the only way to find out for sure is a dyno...anyone know a dyno place in CO? I would also like to know about this ECU, I wasn't aware they had any upgrades as of yet.
As I mentioned, comparing dynos involves a lot of speculation. I really should have done a baseline prior to removing the resonator to be able to draw better conclusions. I'm now speculating that my car dyno'd a bit lower than the other three dyno's I compared to (based on the shape of the curves comparing low rpm to high rpm results), and if that's the case I may have gotten a bit of top end power and torque from removing the resonator. Road Rage believes I could have lost some mid-range power and that may be the case. Looking back, I do regret not getting the baseline first. If you are going to do similar mods, I'd really recommend hitting the dyno first so that you can make better comparisons. It's too much work and money for me to backtrack at this point.

IMO, looking at the stock system on my workbench, I think it is inevitable that the power and airflow are compromised for acoustics, packaging, cost, and ease of manufacturing. This seems especially true when looking at the filter box.

IMO, the K&N probably does not flow more than a new OEM filter. It's hard to get past the surface area difference between the two.

Here is a dyno locator: http://www.dynojet.com/dyno_centers/...ve/index.shtml
Old 07-09-2004, 03:10 PM
VTEC HoooA

Any chance of some audio clips with the intake installed? I would love to get an idea of the difference between stock and with the CAI. Interior and exterior would be great both at idle and revving the engine.

I know it is alot to ask but some of us would really love them!!
Old 07-09-2004, 08:13 PM
Racer

i just put my injen cai on today and i think it sounds great. i couldnt stand not hearing the engine as the revs increased. the cai produces a nice tone once you get to 3k. at idle it is as quiet as stock. i am extremely pleased with it. the results you got on the dyno seem to be alittle higher than what injen got when they dynoed it.
Old 07-09-2004, 09:32 PM
Advanced

Im working on trying to get my Car 0-60 to 5.5 seconds... They need to release some performance parts for our cars already.. thats the problem with the TL... the G35 Had tons of Mods afte like 3 months of release... We got a fucking INTAKE made by Injen.. Which i would rather have a AEM CAI..
Old 07-09-2004, 10:09 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts
Aegir has posted a lot of good thinking - Although K&N portrays a simple more air = more power paradigm, it of course is not that simple. The equation has meaning if the air intake CFM on a vehicle were below what is needed to fully charge the cylinders with air and fuel. On our car, it isn't. Using standard computations, it can be demonstrated that for the displacement and maximum useable RPM, the stock system flows more than it can use. Now, the K&N may improve throttle tip in response a bit, since it can allow a bigger "gulp" of air due to slightly less restriction.

Also, consider that air filtration is a dynamic model - when new, paper filters flow very well, because the filter media consists of holes of varying size. A paper filter generally filters WORSE than even a porous K&N. As the miles build up, the larger holes get filled with debris, and the K&N has an advantage (small, but there) of being to maintain decent flow rates even as it becomes dirty - and its filtration efficacy also improves.

Some people I know change their air filters every few months - if you do that, better change your oil every few months as well, as it will be loaded with silicon.
Old 07-10-2004, 12:16 AM