Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is initial lag in acceleration normal?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2004, 11:45 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is initial lag in acceleration normal?

My 04 TL has distinct and consistent throttle lag when accelerating from a stop. It is noticeable to the point of aggravation. It announces itself when you initially begin to depress the gas pedal. It actually jars your head just a bit. My wife is the primary driver of the vehicle. I asked her if she noticed anything unusual when accelerating and she described the car as "punchy" from a stop. My wife's driving style can best be described as smooth and fluid.

I spent some time driving the car and no matter how I positioned my foot on the pedal whenever I tried to accelerate in a smooth manner it would lag and then "kick in". Before somebody advises me to tell my wife to just floor it, just know that she is transporting a newborn in the car and if we feel annoyed by the less than stellar throttle system, I would guess the baby isn't all that thrilled with it either.

Is this a normal characteristic on this car? If it is, Acura sure has a funny concept of the meaning of smooth and linear acceleration. Once it gets past the lag, however, everything is awesome. If it isn't normal, is there a way it can be adjusted by the dealer?

Additionally, I went out to crack the windows on this car the other day (104 degrees) and when I shut the driver's door I thought something broke. I went on to discover that if the windows are rolled part way down something bangs real hard in both driver and passenger doors upon closing. Sounds like crap. Do all these cars do that?

I have done the prerequisite searches using various and assorted search terms, but failed to come up with anything definitive on either of these subjects. I appreciate any help or directions in dealing with the dealer on these issues.
Old 05-06-2004, 01:00 AM
Advanced

My '00 Accord is just like that. As far as the door, think about it. With the windows down even a bit, the structural integrity of the door now has a hole in it, and it will jarr a bit. As for the lag, I believe it's just the automatic tranny that is doing that, torque converting or whatever (now I need to stop because I don't know what I'm talking about). If I were to get a TL I'd go for 6 speed, as that is the only reason I'd trade up from my [fairly comparable drive] Accord.
Old 05-06-2004, 01:09 AM
Team Camel Executive VP

Originally Posted by GSD98
My 04 TL has distinct and consistent throttle lag when accelerating from a stop. It is noticeable to the point of aggravation. It announces itself when you initially begin to depress the gas pedal. It actually jars your head just a bit. My wife is the primary driver of the vehicle. I asked her if she noticed anything unusual when accelerating and she described the car as "punchy" from a stop. My wife's driving style can best be described as smooth and fluid.

I spent some time driving the car and no matter how I positioned my foot on the pedal whenever I tried to accelerate in a smooth manner it would lag and then "kick in". Before somebody advises me to tell my wife to just floor it, just know that she is transporting a newborn in the car and if we feel annoyed by the less than stellar throttle system, I would guess the baby isn't all that thrilled with it either.

Is this a normal characteristic on this car? If it is, Acura sure has a funny concept of the meaning of smooth and linear acceleration. Once it gets past the lag, however, everything is awesome. If it isn't normal, is there a way it can be adjusted by the dealer?

Additionally, I went out to crack the windows on this car the other day (104 degrees) and when I shut the driver's door I thought something broke. I went on to discover that if the windows are rolled part way down something bangs real hard in both driver and passenger doors upon closing. Sounds like crap. Do all these cars do that?

I have done the prerequisite searches using various and assorted search terms, but failed to come up with anything definitive on either of these subjects. I appreciate any help or directions in dealing with the dealer on these issues.
I've got the 5AT and I've got no such 'hesitation' when starting cold from a full stop.

As for the doors, it's either the window itself hitting the molding of the window sill *or* you've got some stuff in the ill-conceived door storage pockets which either rattle or conveniently allow you to wreck your $250 RayBan's as you slam them time after time after time...
Old 05-06-2004, 01:31 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Get it checked.

I don't experience that. My car is smooth as silk on acceleration. Since it's drive by wire, I would have the dealer check the computer and emissions controls.
Old 05-06-2004, 06:46 AM
Team Anthracite Member

yep - i'm pretty tight and responsive off the line. I only get hesitation when she gets up in 5th and I try to destroy the guy in front of me, if my rpms are hanging at 1500, she hesitates, then tears it up. definately check out the cable etc. my toro self propell lawnmower had same issue and I had to tighten the cable. I know, apples and oranges, but similar concept.
Old 05-06-2004, 06:51 AM
You touch my tra la la...

Its typical of an AT car. I guess just more noticable in our TL. I haven't had much of a problem but thats because I probably don't care if I feel it... I'm a pretty aggressive driver.
Old 05-06-2004, 06:56 AM
Team Anthracite Member

yep - just mash the gas at the line - I have no probs and my 2 year old actually enjoys the ride change from my wife's style - he laughs...and we both crank some Mickey Mouse sing-along!
Old 05-06-2004, 07:06 AM
You touch my tra la la...

Haha!

Yeah, when I was a little kid I defintely preferred my dad's aggressive driving over my mom's... woman driving :p
Old 05-06-2004, 07:43 AM
Pug
Team Camel, VP for Zaino

I have experienced the acceleration sympton you describe (but not with my TL, yet). It sounds like the car may have run out of gas, or have another fuel line issue. I'm not sure of the mechanics, but if you run out of fuel in a FI car, you need to bleed the fuel system (or something) to get it back in sync. I think a trip to the dealer is definitely in order. Good luck.
Old 05-06-2004, 10:47 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Question

... ... has distinct and consistent throttle lag when accelerating from a stop ... ...

... ... I went on to discover that if the windows are rolled part way down something bangs real hard in both driver and passenger doors upon closing. Sounds like crap... ...

For the crap sound, I guess it's what the sound would be when rolling down any of windows. Most of car will sound terribly in this situation.

For the acceleration, a while ago, some ppl ever wonder if Drive-by-Wire Throttle System is one of the main factor. I'm not sure how bimmers deal with this issue, but this seems to be the way how Honda/Acura handle this technology for now. (The conventional system would just pull the line and feed the oil to your engine right away, this is quick and direct.) ??

I do feel a little hesitation... just a litt... if comparing to other cars.
Old 05-06-2004, 11:02 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Pug
I'm not sure of the mechanics, but if you run out of fuel in a FI car, you need to bleed the fuel system (or something) to get it back in sync. I think a trip to the dealer is definitely in order. Good luck.

Not with modern electric fuel pumps.

The lag is normal, the stall converter(automatic clutch) engages fully at an RPM just above idle. That is what is causing the "lag".

-Keith
Old 05-06-2004, 11:18 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That slight hesitation occurs pretty much any time you are off the gas then accelerate. It is normal and is not a problem.
Old 05-06-2004, 11:19 AM
10th Gear

We did not experience this throttle lag our 2000 Accord V-6 coupe, which is why I find it disturbing in the Acura. I'll run up to Cush Escondido and see what they say.

I would have to agree that it is the windows bouncing around. I could learn to always shut the doors with windows all the way up but it shouldn't be necessary.

Thanks for the opinions.
Old 05-06-2004, 11:38 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
I have noticed the same ever so very slight hesitaiton, I also notice a slihgt delay of the tranny kicking into gear when putting car in Drive, kind of a delayed lockup of the torgue converter. I also attributed some of the accelerator hesitation to the fly by wire system.
Old 05-06-2004, 11:44 AM
Instructor

When I'm already coasting and then want to accelerate hard I feel a second or two of hesitation before it slams me back into my seat and I take off like a bullet. I thought it was somewhat normal, don't know for sure. I've gotta 5At.
Old 05-06-2004, 12:25 PM
Team Anthracite Member

that's cause it has you up in 5th already. My wife's '02 has the shift indicator for OD (5th) and you can choose to go in there when you want. This eyar, they forced us into always being in OD - sucks. IMO.

It needs to downshift - thus the delay. I hate it, but I'm trying to adjust my driving style to it.

Originally Posted by kinggeorge
When I'm already coasting and then want to accelerate hard I feel a second or two of hesitation before it slams me back into my seat and I take off like a bullet. I thought it was somewhat normal, don't know for sure. I've gotta 5At.
Old 05-06-2004, 12:38 PM
Cruisin'

No lag here, be it VSA on or off ( in fact unless the VSA status light comes on ) all it's doing is monitoring Can buss messages/status, not affecting.
Old 05-06-2004, 12:47 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rets
For the acceleration, a while ago, some ppl ever wonder if Drive-by-Wire Throttle System is one of the main factor. I'm not sure how bimmers deal with this issue, but this seems to be the way how Honda/Acura handle this technology for now.
I remember this too, rets. I also remember that in some of those threads, some people raised the question of whether the Drive-By-Wire could have become "programmed" badly by break-in driving, and/or whether it could be "reprogrammed" later to get rid of hesitation.
Old 05-06-2004, 01:09 PM
TL hacker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GaleForce
Haha!

Yeah, when I was a little kid I defintely preferred my dad's aggressive driving over my mom's... woman driving :p
Mine was the exact opposite. My parents had a brand new 1971 Javelin, which I really loved at the time. My mom would really floor this thing. My dad is the conservative type and never got a speeding ticket in his whole life.

I got my mom in trouble once when my dad went to drive it. I blurted out: "Daddy, let mommy drive. She's faster!"

Uh oh!
Old 05-06-2004, 01:54 PM
Pro

The acceleration lag is what I experienced when I test drove the auto TL. As for the DBW system being the culprit, I dont think so. My 2k2 Maxima has DBW and it pretty much jumps off the line upon PT application, let alone WOT.

Peace.
Old 05-06-2004, 02:56 PM
Team Anthracite Peon

The acceleration lag was noticeable for me too (coming from a 2002 TL Type-S)...I think it's a combination of the front-hinged gas pedal and drive-by-wire system. At first it annoyed me, but you DO get used to it. Or maybe the car got used to me. Either way, I don't even notice it anymore.

-X-
Old 05-06-2004, 03:28 PM
Team NightHawk VP

i think i know what he is talking about. it feels like the clutch is engaging on a 5at, sometimes when you move from the start, the rpm will go up just a little bit (maybe around 1500-2000), then the rpm drops back down then it starts moving again. we have a 96 accord and it does the same exact thing, i think its a design that honda put in to make less stress in the tranny(although it didnt seem like it with all the tranny problems in the 2nd gen)
but i think its normal, or else honda would have gotten rid of this problem already.
Old 05-06-2004, 05:54 PM
10th Gear

I thought the way the pedal was hinged might play a part in it, but, as Cliff describes, the RPM goes up just a bit before it drops. That is computer controlled and obviously built into the system for some unknown reason. Like Xerxes said, it is something I'll have to get used to. One thing that is real easy to get used to, however, is that mid to high range power band. The car is a freaking rocket. All in all, it is awesome value for the money.
Old 05-06-2004, 08:39 PM
Team NightHawk VP

agreed
Old 05-06-2004, 09:35 PM
Burning Brakes

silly auto transmissions.

:toothless

<---kindly exits thread.
Old 12-09-2004, 07:29 PM
Instructor

Naw, drive-by-wire is not necessarily the culprit here. Have had (2) DBW's and no problem like this existed. Actually the DBW was smoother than linkage. Current BMW (soon to take delivery of an '05 TL as wife is picky about me driving her Beamer) is as smooth as silk no matter the ease or aggressivness of accelleration. Me thinks there are some adjustments in order. Ask to drive another or other TL's (many dealers are now using TL's as loaner cars) and see if that characteristic is present. I would NOT stand for a dealer tech saying that was normal! BS that is NOT normal. Actually, I believe my '03 RL has DBW and it is as smooth as a new born babies buttocks. The TL's I have test driven (2005's) have all been smooth off the line. I did however notice a little engine roughness when first starting up but that smoothed out quickly. My new baby has 0000049 miles on it - all driven by ME on my test runs.

PS anyone know if the RL burl gear knob will fit the TL shifter stick? I hate to spring for another $119. (RL is coming off lease)
Old 12-10-2004, 07:15 AM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by TBone2004
yep - i'm pretty tight and responsive off the line. I only get hesitation when she gets up in 5th and I try to destroy the guy in front of me, if my rpms are hanging at 1500, she hesitates, then tears it up. definately check out the cable etc. my toro self propell lawnmower had same issue and I had to tighten the cable. I know, apples and oranges, but similar concept.
I have the 6MT and I know you drive an automatic differently, but IMO 1500 rpm is a bit low is you want to acceleate from a higher gear--if I'm turning 1500 and I want to pull out and pass I would normally downshift, especially on two-lane roads. Perhaps you could move it over to the manumatic gate in this situation?
Old 12-10-2004, 09:42 AM
Advanced

I would have the dealer look at both the drive-by-wire system as well as your MAP sensor, my S2000 used to have this problem occasionally and a light tap on the MAP sensor corrected it every time.
Old 12-10-2004, 06:06 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
My former car was a 2002 Altima SE with manual transmission, of course. It was built in November, 2001. One of the persistent problems with the car (mostly, the earlier build units) was a throttle hesitation problem. It also had drive-by-wire and this is what we all initially attibuted the problem to, but that was not it. The problem was in the software and a TSB was issued to load new software. While I never had this done to my car because I had installed some speed equipment and didn't want to lose my warranty, I had the opportunity ride in two and drive one that did have the TSB done.. and what a difference!

So check to see if there are any TSBs out on this. Oh, by the way, my TL is a manual transmission and there is absolutely NO throttle hesitation AT ALL with my car. The throttle response is SO good that I don't get into it as much as I did the Altima because the feeling of response is always present.
Old 03-15-2005, 05:45 PM
Intermediate

Window rattling on 3rd generation TL's

We did not experience this throttle lag our 2000 Accord V-6 coupe, which is why I find it disturbing in the Acura. I'll run up to Cush Escondido and see what they say.

I would have to agree that it is the windows bouncing around. I could learn to always shut the doors with windows all the way up but it shouldn't be necessary.

Thanks for the opinions.

I find this annoying because most other that I have had did not have this level of severity in window rattle when the windows are not in the full up position. My recommendation is for Acura Engineers to go look at European designs and learn from the best. After all, those cars are designed with winds and rain in mind. They always seem to come up with nifty car features such as auto rain sensor for the wipers.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:33 AM
10th Gear

I definitely feel the lag on my 2006 TL as well. I enjoy my car very much but my previous car was a 2002 Maxima, I never felt any lag whatsoever but I also know Nissan has practically perfected their V6 (performancewise).

An interesting note, I was loaned an '09 TSX the other day at the dealer, I couldn't believe how much zippier and how instantaneous the response to the gas pedal was. matter of fact when I got my car back later that evening, I first thought I was having engine trouble because I was being so careful with the gas pedal after driving the TSX all day (its much more responsive than my TL). oh well.

Oh yea, I also have the loud knocking when the window is partly open (yes thats annoying).
Old 01-16-2009, 11:09 AM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,107 Likes on 765 Posts
Originally Posted by Ace06
I definitely feel the lag on my 2006 TL as well. I enjoy my car very much but my previous car was a 2002 Maxima, I never felt any lag whatsoever but I also know Nissan has practically perfected their V6 (performancewise).

An interesting note, I was loaned an '09 TSX the other day at the dealer, I couldn't believe how much zippier and how instantaneous the response to the gas pedal was.
If you have an auto transmission, clear your ECU to get it back to OEM new specs-- the TL has an adaptive transmission and ECU which adapts to driving habits within 100 miles.

Welcome to a zombie thread and AZ.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:27 PM
A Black TL

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thier is nothing wrong with ur car. When u are slowing down then tranny is getting ready to downshit just as it downshifts u hit the gas it makes a sudden jolt, becuase it just upshifted not even a sec after it downshifted. And it could be the gradelogic system thats built in our cars, u can feel downshifting and upshifting, i actually like it.
Old 01-16-2009, 03:08 PM
TL=True Love

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Will Y.
If you have an auto transmission, clear your ECU to get it back to OEM new specs-- the TL has an adaptive transmission and ECU which adapts to driving habits within 100 miles.

Welcome to a zombie thread and AZ.
how do u reset the ECU?
Old 01-16-2009, 04:50 PM
A Black TL

I think u just unplug your battery and wait for 15min that plug it back in?
Old 01-16-2009, 09:26 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,107 Likes on 765 Posts
Originally Posted by wall e
how do u reset the ECU?
Two ways here: https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...37&postcount=2

The third way is to drive the car like you stole it for three or four days- it'll adapt, but your fuel economy is likely to suck.
Old 01-16-2009, 10:33 PM
06 WDP / 07 WDP Type-S

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
All you guys are feeling is upshifting. Put your car into semi-manual automatic. You can watch the number go from 1st gear to 2nd gear around 2,000 RPM. This is normal. As far as accelerating at 1500 RPM in 5th gear, you have to remember this is overdrive. The gear ratio is not engineered for torque; you need torque to pass people up. Think about it, wouldn't you want your engine to turn 1:1 instead of .9:1? 1:1 is 4th gear or direct drive. There really isn't a hesitation, you are just expecting it to do something it cannot do without harm. Acura has engineered our cars to not cause too much damage internally.

The adaptive system also keeps track of how you drive. This technology has been around for decades. The system takes your driving habits and sets the computer to react to your normal-everday-driving habits. Like Will Y. mentioned, you can reset your ECU so the computer is fresh from the factory. This should help you 'break-in' your engine to your specific needs.
Old 01-16-2009, 10:50 PM
A Black TL

Is thier any reason to reset the ecu, even if ur not putting any new stuff into your car?
Old 01-16-2009, 11:03 PM
Unregistered User

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
get a sprint booster!
Old 01-17-2009, 09:37 AM
06 WDP / 07 WDP Type-S

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I apologize, most vehicles are 1:1 in 4th gear. It seems Acura doesn't like that concept, so they have this as their gear ratio for A/T

Gear Ratios (:1)
1st 2.70
2nd 1.61
3rd 1.07
4th 0.69
5th 0.49
Reverse 1.89
Final Drive 4.31 | TL
4.53 | TL SH-AWD

from http://www.acura.com/DriveTrain.aspx?model=TL

Quick Reply: Is initial lag in acceleration normal?