3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Infiniti owner thinking about moving to Acura....

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 02:14 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Infiniti owner thinking about moving to Acura....

Longtime lurker and admirer of the Acura TL.

As the thread title states, I currently own a 2003 Infiniti G35 coupe with an automatic transmission. I will soon be looking to purchase a new car, and the 2007-2008 Acura TL Type S is at the top of my list. I am looking to yall to hopefully help point me in the right direction, and help me determine if the TL can fit what I am looking for.

So, first of all I will list the things that I do not like about my current car.

- overall quality of the car, interior parts are very cheap, and the seats are stiff and uncomfortable
- automatic transmission, a manual is a must for me in my next car
- lack of effective space and trunk space
- decent power, but somewhat of a lack of low end torque
- fairly poor gas mileage
- awful reliability, tons of suspension and electrical problems

Things I am looking for in my next car

- excellent reliability, and a car i can feel comfortable in owning for a long time outside of warranty
- comfortable and high quality interior, with useable space
- power that is at the minimum, comparable, and hopefully increased from my 03 g35 (specifically around town power, not necessarily interested in top end power, more mid range and low end)
- better gas mileage, somewhere in the 20 mpg or higher range
- a good, smooth and easy to drive transmission (for my wife, if she has to drive it for some reason)

Hopefully, some of you have driven both cars and can provide me with some help in comparing the two. And for those of you that own the TL type s, just getting a feel for what you do and dont like about the car would be very helpful.

And finally, if you were me, and were in my position, what other options would you consider?

Thanks for your time, and please let me know if i left any information out.
Old 03-13-2010, 02:50 PM
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 180 Posts
The TL should meet all your requirements that you stated. There's a world of difference between a 2 door coupe and a 4 door sedan. There's space and comfort for 4 people and 5 in a pinch. The interior is better and very comfortable for long drives. While I don't own a 6-speed, Honda makes some of the best shifting manual transmissions around so a 6-speed should not disappoint you. I have a pure urban commute and mileage is right at 19-20 with aggressive driving on city streets- the S 6-speed should be similar to mine with an auto. Highway is great and you can easily get 30MPG going 70+.

I have had my TL for 3.5 years and it has only gone to the shop two times: blown speaker covered under warranty and the power steering hose recall- that's it for 30k miles. Honda/Acura is a good manufacturer and I would say is better than Nissan based on my past Maxima ownership experience anyway. For example, our Honda Pilot has never been to a dealer for any unplanned repair in 50K miles.

I was in the market for the G35 in 2006 and it was the interior, features, and gas mileage that swayed me to Acura then. I recommend that you test drive a TL-S yourself and see how it compares performance-wise to your G. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised!
Old 03-13-2010, 02:54 PM
Advanced

If lack of low end torque is a concern for you, let me tell you that it would get bigger with the TL (comparing auto TL to auto G35). However, with the manual transmission, things get better. Though I only have experience with non type-s TL. correct me if things are different for TL-s.
Other than that, TL has one of the best interior in its class, and has much better gas mileage than g35.
Old 03-13-2010, 03:07 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
the Type S you mentioned is definitely an excellent value and meets all your criteria above. Another worthy contendor is the brand new V6 TSX...not sure if its available in manual though...

Pretty much the only thing worth gripping about these cars is the potential for rattles, so listen carefully when you test drive one. Turn the music up fairly loud.
Old 03-13-2010, 03:11 PM
Intermediate

Alright so I just got my 05 TL A-Spec auto about 2 months ago, before that I had an 03' G35 coupe with 6mt Brembo brakes etc. First off, realize that the TL is not going to perform better than the G35. If you prefer performance, you should get an 05+ coupe with the updated interior or 07+ G35 sedan.
Go with the TL if you want better mpg, nicer interior than your current G, more cargo room, a good looking car to cruise in.

Last edited by D-Rod; 03-13-2010 at 03:14 PM.
Old 03-13-2010, 03:15 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by leedogg
the Type S you mentioned is definitely an excellent value and meets all your criteria above. Another worthy contendor is the brand new V6 TSX...not sure if its available in manual though...

Pretty much the only thing worth gripping about these cars is the potential for rattles, so listen carefully when you test drive one. Turn the music up fairly loud.
..and that it's FWD
Old 03-13-2010, 03:32 PM
04Tl

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I would go with the 6mt type-s its a no brainer. It will stay with an 2003 6mt g35 coupe in performance and def. take the automatic oh yea the type-s also has brembos brakes if u were worried about that. THe TL type-s also wins in every other category from interior to reailbilty but did you consider the new g37s if you still want a coupe cause that's def. worth it.
Old 03-13-2010, 03:48 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by LaCostaRacer
The TL should meet all your requirements that you stated. There's a world of difference between a 2 door coupe and a 4 door sedan. There's space and comfort for 4 people and 5 in a pinch. The interior is better and very comfortable for long drives. While I don't own a 6-speed, Honda makes some of the best shifting manual transmissions around so a 6-speed should not disappoint you. I have a pure urban commute and mileage is right at 19-20 with aggressive driving on city streets- the S 6-speed should be similar to mine with an auto. Highway is great and you can easily get 30MPG going 70+.

I have had my TL for 3.5 years and it has only gone to the shop two times: blown speaker covered under warranty and the power steering hose recall- that's it for 30k miles. Honda/Acura is a good manufacturer and I would say is better than Nissan based on my past Maxima ownership experience anyway. For example, our Honda Pilot has never been to a dealer for any unplanned repair in 50K miles.

I was in the market for the G35 in 2006 and it was the interior, features, and gas mileage that swayed me to Acura then. I recommend that you test drive a TL-S yourself and see how it compares performance-wise to your G. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised!
great info, thanks. good to see you have had a great experience with the tl, specifically as far as reliability goes.

i would love to test drive one, the issue for me is that there are no tl type s's anywhere near here (within 60 miles). certainly when i get closer to the purchase time, i will absolutely drive one prior to purchasing. just trying to do some recon work at this point....

Originally Posted by geniusnouman
If lack of low end torque is a concern for you, let me tell you that it would get bigger with the TL (comparing auto TL to auto G35). However, with the manual transmission, things get better. Though I only have experience with non type-s TL. correct me if things are different for TL-s.
Other than that, TL has one of the best interior in its class, and has much better gas mileage than g35.
that definitely is a concern. i know the manual helps, (previously owned a 99 a4 v6 5 speed), but having some juice in first gear is always a good thing.

Originally Posted by leedogg

tsx has no manual, and is too new and expensive for me. i never buy new cars since i think the value of purchasing a slightly used car is much higher.

good to hear the positive feedback, and will keep an eye out for those rattles. my g is a rattlebox and it doesnt bother me too much, but its something to consider.

Originally Posted by D-Rod
Alright so I just got my 05 TL A-Spec auto about 2 months ago, before that I had an 03' G35 coupe with 6mt Brembo brakes etc. First off, realize that the TL is not going to perform better than the G35. If you prefer performance, you should get an 05+ coupe with the updated interior or 07+ G35 sedan.
Go with the TL if you want better mpg, nicer interior than your current G, more cargo room, a good looking car to cruise in.
..and that it's FWD
thanks for the feedback. do you feel like if both cars were auto, or both were stick, they would be more comparable? i was under the impression that the type s, with the bigger motor and 6 speed could at least hang with the g35 from 03, but maybe i am mistaken.

as far as a coupe goes, im done with that for now. it is very frustrating due to the lack of space and utility of having a 2 door. being married now with kids in the future makes a 4 door fit my situation better.

i am a bit hesitant to say the least to go back to infiniti, and also i do not particularly care for the styling of the 4 door or their ubiquitous nature.

i also dont think fwd is a big deal for me. i have driven numerous fwd cars (celica gts, acura rsx type s) and had no issues with fwd handling. i also dont plan to track the car or anything, so its probably not a big deal for me.

Originally Posted by Yonkers914
I would go with the 6mt type-s its a no brainer. It will stay with an 2003 6mt g35 coupe in performance and def. take the automatic oh yea the type-s also has brembos brakes if u were worried about that. THe TL type-s also wins in every other category from interior to reailbilty but did you consider the new g37s if you still want a coupe cause that's def. worth it.
that sounds great, i hope you are right. i did know that about the brakes, and thats a good thing for sure.

not looking for a coupe so the g37 is out, but thanks.
Old 03-13-2010, 03:59 PM
Instructor

i say go with the tl man you wont regret it one bit i dont think i have ran into one person who actually drives a tl with bad opinions about them
Old 03-13-2010, 04:01 PM
2011 BMW 335i

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree Honda/Acura is a good manufacturer but Nissan is up there too...My Maxima is one of the best cars I have ever owned....

What issues did you have with Nissan or with your Maxima?
Old 03-13-2010, 04:26 PM
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
my friend went from a g35 sedan, to g35 coupe and now has the fx35 but she said my car (08 tl-s) is much better than both g35's
Old 03-13-2010, 04:35 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rully1012
i say go with the tl man you wont regret it one bit i dont think i have ran into one person who actually drives a tl with bad opinions about them
hard to argue with that

Originally Posted by greco9885
my friend went from a g35 sedan, to g35 coupe and now has the fx35 but she said my car (08 tl-s) is much better than both g35's
nice. is your car an auto or 6spd? and better, or faster? or both?
Old 03-13-2010, 04:39 PM
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ragincajun
nice. is your car an auto or 6spd? and better, or faster? or both?
auto. i compared the g35 vs tl-s when i was shopping, everything is better about the tl-s minus the FWD, but the pros outweigh the cons by far.

stock vs stock it was kinda even, my car is far from stock so now i smoke g35's even modded, g37 stock(not by much), but modded it beats me

the biggest thing i love about the tl-s(not sure about tl, never drove one) is the handling, stiff steering wheel, i love it, not like the g35
Old 03-13-2010, 06:24 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,102 Likes on 763 Posts
... do you feel like if both cars were auto, or both were stick, they would be more comparable? i was under the impression that the type s, with the bigger motor and 6 speed could at least hang with the g35 from 03, but maybe i am mistaken.
IIRC, the '04-'05 TL with manuals were slightly faster than the '03-'04 G35 manuals, and the G35 manuals always had an additional 20 HP over the auto-equipped G35. I think the '05+ G35 had increased horsepower in both manual and auto versions.
The TL-S manual should accelerate a bit faster than the manual 3G TL, too.
Old 03-13-2010, 06:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
...i also dont think fwd is a big deal for me. i have driven numerous fwd cars (celica gts, acura rsx type s) and had no issues with fwd handling. i also dont plan to track the car or anything, so its probably not a big deal for me.
Keep in mind though that the 6MT TL-S has horrible torque steer...a lot of power going through the front wheels....far more than any of the cars that you mention. Doesn't matter if you're not tracking the car...if you enjoy driving, the FWD/torque steer is definitely a liability. Something to be aware of if you're used to or prefer the dynamics of RWD.

Otherwise though, the car is stellar.
Old 03-13-2010, 07:38 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Will Y.
IIRC, the '04-'05 TL with manuals were slightly faster than the '03-'04 G35 manuals, and the G35 manuals always had an additional 20 HP over the auto-equipped G35. I think the '05+ G35 had increased horsepower in both manual and auto versions.
The TL-S manual should accelerate a bit faster than the manual 3G TL, too.
good info there. looking forward to a test drive!

Originally Posted by Ramrodthrusterpuppy
Keep in mind though that the 6MT TL-S has horrible torque steer...a lot of power going through the front wheels....far more than any of the cars that you mention. Doesn't matter if you're not tracking the car...if you enjoy driving, the FWD/torque steer is definitely a liability. Something to be aware of if you're used to or prefer the dynamics of RWD.

Otherwise though, the car is stellar.
horrible? ive heard it was bad from some sources, then others say its not an issue. when is it bad? when turning and hitting the throttle pretty hard?

if you could do it over, would you get a tl-s again?
Old 03-13-2010, 07:51 PM
Three Wheelin'

I think I can answer this questions relatively well for you considering I currently have a 08 TL, 10 Maxima, and 05 FX35!

Acura is very different then Infiniti; one thing you can expect that Acura is at a slight disadvanatge of is, their vehicles do not handle anywhere near the precise sport crisp handling that the FX, G or any other Infiniti can

Acura is way better in regards to BOTH dealership and corporate customer service then Infiniti or Nissan has ever been; there have been times I couldn't get Acura client services off my back finding out if my warranty work was done correctly and if there was any other problems or concerns I have had; Infiniti and Nissan has often on not even returned my calls or letters, so you can see the difference right there!

Acura to me, is a much more well rounded vehicle then the Infiniti's are! Infiniti's almost sole purpose is sport performance and handling to compete with BMW and their vehicles excel in those regards but Acura I feel has better overall quality, refinement, especially in the interior department; I would say Acura and Audi have the best interior's in the business!! Also, Acura vehicles tend to run and sound much more refined and more quiet then their Infiniti counterparts, mainly because they don't have as much HP and torque under the hood, which I personally like about Acura! they have just the right amount of HP and torque that you'll ever need; Infiniti's tend to have a little too much that unless your drag racing you'll never need!
Old 03-13-2010, 08:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

I forgot a couple of points I wanted to mention in that personally I have found Infiniti's seats to be a little bit more comfortable then Acura's but keep in mind I've had two low back surgeries so my spine is super sensitive compared to the avg person so that you have to really have to find out for yourself; on the other hand the Acura's tend to have a much more still firm but more balanced ride then the Infiniti's do! I personally like a little bit of a sports ride, but Infiniti, especially my FX35 rides like a freakin jeep with a severely bumpy/jarring ride that unless your sitting up front you could get car sick! my 08 TL actually I feel has the perfect amount of a little bit of sport firmness but not too much like the Infiniti's were it gets uncomfortable; also a little small minor issue, Acura for some reason does not heat the back portion of the passenger front seat, only the butt/bottom cushion, unlike Infiniti, Nissan, Lexus, etc etc that can heat both the back and bottom cushion in the front passenger heated seat? go figure! not a deal breaker for me, but I still don't know why everyone else but Acura can do it; Acura gave me the excuse its the airbag sensor but that is BS since all the rest have the exact same passenger airbag sensor!

anyway, it really comes down to what kind of vehicle you want; if you told me you wanted a firm sporty ride with sport performance/handling I'd tell you to go get a Infiniti; if you told me you wanted a soft, mushy, ubber comfort vehicle that babies you like your momma I'd tell you to go get a Lexus, if you told me your wanted a more overall refined, well balanced vehicle that can accurately blend the good point of Infiniti and Lexus together in a nice package I'd tell you to go get a Acura!

You can't go wrong with either Acura or Infiniti; they are both great automakers with, as you can tell by the vehicles I have, the best vehicles on the market!
Old 03-13-2010, 09:01 PM
Burning Brakes

The 07-08 TL-S is a great car but if you think the G35 doesn't have enough low end torque, I doubt you'd be satisfied with the TL's low end torque either since it has even less than the G. If you want something torquey you might consider the BMW 335, with the twin turbo that 3.0 inline 6 feels like a V8. It can also carry more since its backseat folds down unlike the TL's.

As for fuel economy the TL should beat the G there. One nice thing about the TL is that at highway speeds it's at about 2k rpm, makes for a great highway cruiser.
Old 03-13-2010, 10:08 PM
JAPAN

keep the G AND get a TL O_o
Old 03-14-2010, 06:39 PM
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 180 Posts
Originally Posted by carlos9827
I agree Honda/Acura is a good manufacturer but Nissan is up there too...My Maxima is one of the best cars I have ever owned....

What issues did you have with Nissan or with your Maxima?
I had a 1992 Maxima SE so you have a much more recent experience than me. I don't want this to get too off-topic but thought it was worth more elaboration since the question was asked.

I think Nissan is a good manufacturer but do think Honda is a little better. In looking at the most recent issue of Consumer Reports my thoughts are supported via their Reliability History Section.

The 2004 TL has issues with the Audio System and I'll informally consider the auto transmission even though it's not indicated by CU. The 2004 Maxima has issues with climate, brakes, body integrity, body hardware, power equipment, and audio system. This is a fair comparison of two first model year cars. There appears to be more issues with the Nissan than the Acura. The Infinity 2004 G is better, but still doesn't match the Acura TL in reliability. I can compare Civic .vs. Sentra, Pilot .vs. Pathfinder, Quest .vs. Oddyssey and see similar patterns. Based on this assessment, I can argue that Honda appears to manufacture cars that are more reliable than Nissan. Similarly, I can also say that Lexus manufactures cars more reliable than Acura by a similar improvement difference as Honda is better than Nissan.

Until this TL, the Maxima was my best car owned; however, I had issues with exhaust manifold bolts sheering, auto transmission, brakes, window regulators (all 4 windows) rear sway bar mounts, and audio system. I put a lot of miles on the Maxima and it was a pretty good car for the 12 years of ownership.

Granted I have only owned the TL 3.5 years so I have a long way to go before the final verdict can be made for it. My TL is about 2x more complicated than the old Maxima with Nav systems, ABS, Stability, HFL, TPMS, Advanced Audio system, more power and transmission gears so there is definitely more to go wrong with a more complicated car.

I base much of this opinion on our Pilot experience now. I had most of my issues when the Nissan was 4-6 years old which is where our Pilot is now and yet it is issue-free.

Reliability is just one issue of ownership and its importance varies across people. The OP seemed to have reliability issues with the G and listed this as the first requirement for the next vehicle. I hope this helps in comparing this metric a little better.
Old 03-14-2010, 07:06 PM
2011 BMW 335i

I had a 1992 Maxima SE so you have a much more recent experience than me. I don't want this to get too off-topic but thought it was worth more elaboration since the question was asked.

I think Nissan is a good manufacturer but do think Honda is a little better. In looking at the most recent issue of Consumer Reports my thoughts are supported via their Reliability History Section.

The 2004 TL has issues with the Audio System and I'll informally consider the auto transmission even though it's not indicated by CU. The 2004 Maxima has issues with climate, brakes, body integrity, body hardware, power equipment, and audio system. This is a fair comparison of two first model year cars. There appears to be more issues with the Nissan than the Acura. The Infinity 2004 G is better, but still doesn't match the Acura TL in reliability. I can compare Civic .vs. Sentra, Pilot .vs. Pathfinder, Quest .vs. Oddyssey and see similar patterns. Based on this assessment, I can argue that Honda appears to manufacture cars that are more reliable than Nissan. Similarly, I can also say that Lexus manufactures cars more reliable than Acura by a similar improvement difference as Honda is better than Nissan.

Until this TL, the Maxima was my best car owned; however, I had issues with exhaust manifold bolts sheering, auto transmission, brakes, window regulators (all 4 windows) rear sway bar mounts, and audio system. I put a lot of miles on the Maxima and it was a pretty good car for the 12 years of ownership.

Granted I have only owned the TL 3.5 years so I have a long way to go before the final verdict can be made for it. My TL is about 2x more complicated than the old Maxima with Nav systems, ABS, Stability, HFL, TPMS, Advanced Audio system, more power and transmission gears so there is definitely more to go wrong with a more complicated car.

I base much of this opinion on our Pilot experience now. I had most of my issues when the Nissan was 4-6 years old which is where our Pilot is now and yet it is issue-free.

Reliability is just one issue of ownership and its importance varies across people. The OP seemed to have reliability issues with the G and listed this as the first requirement for the next vehicle. I hope this helps in comparing this metric a little better.
Thanks
Old 03-14-2010, 11:33 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Babnik
The 07-08 TL-S is a great car but if you think the G35 doesn't have enough low end torque, I doubt you'd be satisfied with the TL's low end torque either since it has even less than the G. If you want something torquey you might consider the BMW 335, with the twin turbo that 3.0 inline 6 feels like a V8. It can also carry more since its backseat folds down unlike the TL's.

As for fuel economy the TL should beat the G there. One nice thing about the TL is that at highway speeds it's at about 2k rpm, makes for a great highway cruiser.
im worried about german reliability tbh. specifically the bmw turbo motor and the associated fuel problems. i also dont really like the styling of the 4 door.

i am concerned about those issues you mention, and hopefully the extra tl type s torque along with the six speed transmission can meet my needs

really looking forward to a test drive!

Originally Posted by TypeSblkura
keep the G AND get a TL O_o
actually, i will be lol. my wife will keep the g and ill be taking the tl, or whatever we get.

Old 03-15-2010, 12:59 AM
Unregistered User

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Funny thing about this thread... I kinda want a G37 coupe... those cars are HOT. If it weren't for the sensible practicality of a sedan, I would've purchased a G35 coupe.
Old 03-15-2010, 12:36 PM
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by smarty666
I think I can answer this questions relatively well for you considering I currently have a 08 TL, 10 Maxima, and 05 FX35!

Acura is very different then Infiniti; one thing you can expect that Acura is at a slight disadvanatge of is, their vehicles do not handle anywhere near the precise sport crisp handling that the FX, G or any other Infiniti can

Acura is way better in regards to BOTH dealership and corporate customer service then Infiniti or Nissan has ever been; there have been times I couldn't get Acura client services off my back finding out if my warranty work was done correctly and if there was any other problems or concerns I have had; Infiniti and Nissan has often on not even returned my calls or letters, so you can see the difference right there!

Acura to me, is a much more well rounded vehicle then the Infiniti's are! Infiniti's almost sole purpose is sport performance and handling to compete with BMW and their vehicles excel in those regards but Acura I feel has better overall quality, refinement, especially in the interior department; I would say Acura and Audi have the best interior's in the business!! Also, Acura vehicles tend to run and sound much more refined and more quiet then their Infiniti counterparts, mainly because they don't have as much HP and torque under the hood, which I personally like about Acura! they have just the right amount of HP and torque that you'll ever need; Infiniti's tend to have a little too much that unless your drag racing you'll never need!
I agree with Smarty. The TL has a better feel and overall more refined. I just came from a G35 Sedan and like the TL better overall. The G does handle better and has more torque and its noticeable in my opinion but the TL has a much taller overdrive hence better gas mileage. They are both great cars but for a daily driver and better gas mileage the TL is the winner. I was averaging 19-20mpg with the G and now its 23-24mpg with the TL.
Old 03-15-2010, 12:49 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Ragin', obviously everyone on this board is more of a "homer" when it comes to Acura. But overall, I honestly think that Acura gives you the best overall bang for the buck. BMW, Infiniti and others will possibly do better in different, specific categories, but OVERALL, it's tough to beat Acura's 3G looks, dependability, reliability and resale value.
Old 03-15-2010, 12:57 PM
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
You should search gas milage on the forums. The TL is a heavy car and only gets about 17 mpg in stop and go driving. As one of the other posters pointed out, on the highway you can get 30 mpg.

There are also a lot of posts on rattles and other types of noises. For whatever reason the TL has them. Acura has worked out a lot of the rattles over the years and the later models are better but my '08 type-S has a passenger seat that has been in twice for noise issues.

As for the tourque performance, the type-S is pretty good as far at I'm concerned. I'm not sure what the other posters are thinking of but in "normal" driving or even sport touring type of driving, I don't think you will be disappointed. Again remember the TL is a heavy car.
Old 03-15-2010, 01:16 PM
WOT in the new ATLP V2s!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
My dad has an '06 G35 coupe and to be honest, I would pick my '08 TL-S over it...so would my wife. I actually had to loan him my car the other day cause we had family from out of town and he had to drive them around...of course mine is more practical, has more seating and the navi. We drove the G35 and I just didnt like it anymore...it has the all wheel drive package and upgraded suspension so it does handle well but for Chicago roads daily driver I personally dont like it. I've played with him a little at stop lights and he gets a better initial kick but only about a 1/2 car length or less and then I'm right there with him. We both have ATs.
Old 03-15-2010, 01:18 PM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts
I had a 2004 and 2005 G35 Sedan 6mt's and moved to a 07 TL-S 5AT now. Love the Acura vs those cars. It may not be RWD, but the quality, build, quietness, is just way better.

The TL has more room than the G35 does overall. Gas mileage is about the same though so really no change till you get on the highway then it is better.

Longtime lurker and admirer of the Acura TL.

As the thread title states, I currently own a 2003 Infiniti G35 coupe with an automatic transmission. I will soon be looking to purchase a new car, and the 2007-2008 Acura TL Type S is at the top of my list. I am looking to yall to hopefully help point me in the right direction, and help me determine if the TL can fit what I am looking for.

So, first of all I will list the things that I do not like about my current car.

- overall quality of the car, interior parts are very cheap, and the seats are stiff and uncomfortable
- automatic transmission, a manual is a must for me in my next car
- lack of effective space and trunk space
- decent power, but somewhat of a lack of low end torque
- fairly poor gas mileage
- awful reliability, tons of suspension and electrical problems

Things I am looking for in my next car

- excellent reliability, and a car i can feel comfortable in owning for a long time outside of warranty
- comfortable and high quality interior, with useable space
- power that is at the minimum, comparable, and hopefully increased from my 03 g35 (specifically around town power, not necessarily interested in top end power, more mid range and low end)
- better gas mileage, somewhere in the 20 mpg or higher range
- a good, smooth and easy to drive transmission (for my wife, if she has to drive it for some reason)

Hopefully, some of you have driven both cars and can provide me with some help in comparing the two. And for those of you that own the TL type s, just getting a feel for what you do and dont like about the car would be very helpful.

And finally, if you were me, and were in my position, what other options would you consider?

Thanks for your time, and please let me know if i left any information out.
Old 03-15-2010, 01:21 PM
Safety Car

The TL Type-S actually performs just as good as the G35 Sedan/Coupe and in some cases better. The 05 upgrade from the 04 isn't that much better. The biggest change was with the new body in 07.
Old 03-15-2010, 01:23 PM
WOT in the new ATLP V2s!

Damn, I wanna print this thread out for my dad but I'm sure G35 forums will side with Infinity.
Old 03-15-2010, 01:24 PM
Safety Car

thanks for the feedback. do you feel like if both cars were auto, or both were stick, they would be more comparable? i was under the impression that the type s, with the bigger motor and 6 speed could at least hang with the g35 from 03, but maybe i am mistaken.
The TL Type-S is much quicker than just the regular TL. The guy responding only has a TL not a Type-S. The TL-S vs a G35 of 03-06 would be a close race but the edge going to the TlL-S as it has more top end power vs the G35. Both have about the same Torque.
Old 03-15-2010, 01:31 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Izzy-Type-S
Damn, I wanna print this thread out for my dad but I'm sure G35 forums will side with Infinity.
IMHO, this forum is more laid back and less biased than the G35 forums are. They will think the G35 is the best car out there and make fun of the FWD in the TL to no end. I have seen it many times on that forum. IMHO, I wouldn't even ask them and go to Edmunds forums or a forum for all cars and ask them as you will get a opinions from non-biased owners.
Old 03-15-2010, 01:44 PM
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Ok, my opinion....
I went from 04 G35 sedan to 08 TL base. I really miss the G power. It is instant off throttle. The TL needs to rev before you feel any true power. My experience is with an auto, the manual might be a little better. RWD is a blessing. I really miss it. I'm still trying to adjust to FWD. I felt much safer & confident in my G than the TL. Panic braking scares me with all the wheel hop.
On the other side, the TL has the best tech features in any car I have driven. Nav is superior as are many of the Acura exclusive features. I found my G seats a tad more comfortable as the leather seemed thicker. My TL seats are wrinkled after only one year.
If I had the chance to go back one year (and had xtra 10k), I would buy the new G37 sedan. I am currently on a lease & can't wait to switch back. The TL is a fine car but I lean toward the performance side & thats where the G beats the TL hands down.
Old 03-15-2010, 01:46 PM
WOT in the new ATLP V2s!

Sounds like my pops...the other day he said "yeah but your car is not a sports car" I was like yeah but I can comfortably take my friends around & drive in winter.
Old 03-15-2010, 02:51 PM
Safety Car

Guys, please do not compare a TL to a G35. He is interested in the TL-S vs the G35 as the TL-S is in the same league with performance as the G35 is. The TL isn't.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:25 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by pimpin-tl
Guys, please do not compare a TL to a G35. He is interested in the TL-S vs the G35 as the TL-S is in the same league with performance as the G35 is. The TL isn't.
As a Base owner, I would agree. But cake and eat it too? One cannot have good MPG and high-torque unless you want to consider an A4. I am just not one for an all-red dash. One thing I can say (and as others have said here too) - you will find the Nissan-based service and Honda-based service in wayy different leagues.
Old 03-17-2010, 01:58 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
If you want a 4 door car, TL is a good choice. Otherwise the new G37s are nice
Old 03-17-2010, 02:01 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ScorpioNAtl
As a Base owner, I would agree. But cake and eat it too? One cannot have good MPG and high-torque unless you want to consider an A4. I am just not one for an all-red dash. One thing I can say (and as others have said here too) - you will find the Nissan-based service and Honda-based service in wayy different leagues.
I get great MPG. I saw 28mpg on the highway doing 75-80mph, and 23-24 mixed city driving with my TL-S.
Old 03-17-2010, 03:18 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
23mpg city driving? Damn.

Quick Reply: Infiniti owner thinking about moving to Acura....