Sponsored by:

Importing a TL to canada

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 08:14 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Importing a TL to canada

hey guys,

i found a TL and i think i am going to purchase it, i have been doing countless searches and found everything i need to know about the importation of the vehicule but some questions have remained unanswered.

- is there any things that need to be changed to the TL when importing to canada, apart from the DRL.(daytime running lights)

- there is a 10 day wait at the border, does the car have to remain at the border, or can i take it home for that 1 day period for it to be cleared?

Thanks

Jeff
Old 06-30-2009, 08:43 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by JeffEL
hey guys,

i found a TL and i think i am going to purchase it, i have been doing countless searches and found everything i need to know about the importation of the vehicule but some questions have remained unanswered.

- is there any things that need to be changed to the TL when importing to canada, apart from the DRL.(daytime running lights)

- there is a 10 day wait at the border, does the car have to remain at the border, or can i take it home for that 1 day period for it to be cleared?

Thanks

Jeff
I imported my SHO into Canada, does Quebec follow the same RIV rules as Ontario?

What do you mean there's a 10 days wait at the border? In Ontario (and depending on the crossing), I had to fax the title to customs 72 hours in advance, and when I arrived a couple of days later with all the paperwork I got across in less than 20 min. It was actually pretty easy.

Other than the DRL, you should be ok since the TL comes with child seat anchors from Honda. They will give you a sticker that you *should* tape on the car somewhere to remind you that the speedometer is in MPH, I never put mine on.

The only thing that would bug me is the gauge face, it's impossible to see the secondary (KM/H in your case) font...
Old 06-30-2009, 08:50 PM
Intermediate

yea i know. maybe changing the odometer would be a thing i would do if i came across one on sale. , what border did you cross at??

my buddy told me he imported a BMW and he had to change all the bumpers and shit at the border to make it safe for canada. cost him like 3gs!

Originally Posted by <{Kris}>
I imported my SHO into Canada, does Quebec follow the same RIV rules as Ontario?

What do you mean there's a 10 days wait at the border? In Ontario (and depending on the crossing), I had to fax the title to customs 72 hours in advance, and when I arrived a couple of days later with all the paperwork I got across in less than 20 min. It was actually pretty easy.

Other than the DRL, you should be ok since the TL comes with child seat anchors from Honda. They will give you a sticker that you *should* tape on the car somewhere to remind you that the speedometer is in MPH, I never put mine on.

The only thing that would bug me is the gauge face, it's impossible to see the secondary (KM/H in your case) font...
Old 06-30-2009, 09:13 PM
Instructor

i don't think it's worth the hassle of importing a car like the TL to canada since we already have TLs in canada.

if you ever want to sell the car, no one wants to buy an american car in canada. reading the little kmph sucks.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:32 PM
Instructor

yea i know. maybe changing the odometer would be a thing i would do if i came across one on sale. , what border did you cross at??

my buddy told me he imported a BMW and he had to change all the bumpers and shit at the border to make it safe for canada. cost him like 3gs!
I crossed at Queeston/Lewiston near Niagara Falls, they were flexible with the title as I can fax it in a 72 hours before and it didn't have to be under my name. The Kingston one needed the actual title in my name at customs 72 hours before; the seller was obviously hesitant in doing that since I hadn't yet paid him anything at that time...

You will also need a letter from Honda stating that all recalls had been performed since that's also a part of all the paperwork that RIV requires, they never checked mine though.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:43 PM
Instructor

I dunno why your buddy had to change bumpers and what not, the car either passes or not the old 8km/h bumper laws. If it did then you can import it, if not you can't... The TL will be fine either way. You still might want to check RIV's website though, they have a list of all the cars that you can import.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by CdTriX
if you ever want to sell the car, no one wants to buy an american car in canada. reading the little kmph sucks.
This is true, I have seen used car dealers who sell imported American cars (for example German Star Motors in Toronto) and they have to sell them for cheaper because most people want Canadian cars.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:43 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
Can you change the speedometer face to the Canadian one? That way you can read the KPH numbers better? That may be a bit of work though, taking the dash apart.
Old 07-01-2009, 10:28 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
^ changing the speedometer thing is relatively simple ... the part in front if it, if you just pull pops right out and you have access to all the screws to just remove it and swap it ... the part is like 400 bux though so i dont know if it really worth it
Old 07-01-2009, 10:44 AM
Instructor

make sure it's not the gauge cluster you are replacing. that will have incorrect kms on it and it will need to be calibrated which costs $$$$$$$$
Old 07-01-2009, 10:46 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by VQPower37
^ changing the speedometer thing is relatively simple ... the part in front if it, if you just pull pops right out and you have access to all the screws to just remove it and swap it ... the part is like 400 bux though so i dont know if it really worth it

yea, no doubt its expensive. i wouldnt be in any rush to change it, so like i would probably just shop around till i get one on ebay or at a scrap yard of somesort.

odometer does not worry me one bit. lol.
Old 07-01-2009, 10:48 AM
Intermediate

i don't think it's worth the hassle of importing a car like the TL to canada since we already have TLs in canada.

buddy, have you shopped TL's in Canada and in the states? TL's are way over priced in canada, like an 05-06 with 100 000+ km, 60 000+ miles is going for like 22 000$.

the dollar should par out again in september, so its worth it to save big dollars, resell does not worry me. i can sell condoms to a monk..
Old 07-01-2009, 10:48 AM
Intermediate

make sure it's not the gauge cluster you are replacing. that will have incorrect kms on it and it will need to be calibrated which costs $$$$$$$$
what you mean? not to change the whole cluster from teh dealer, your saying only do the face plate??
Old 07-01-2009, 10:56 AM
Instructor

i bought my 05 non navi for 17k cdn in toronto... with 105 000 kms... i just bought the car maybe 4 weeks ago...

i've seen 05 non navi go for 16.9 with 130 000 kms in a whole lot worst shape than my car.

the only navi one i found was an 04 and they were asking 16k with 155 000kms

if it's just the front plate, that's fine, but if it's the whole gauge cluster, you'll have to get it calibrated and the odometer will be incorrect since the MID holds the info for that.

Last edited by CdTriX; 07-01-2009 at 10:59 AM.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:34 AM
Intermediate

yea, you see thats too expensive. i would never pay 17K for a car with that much millage. out here in quebec its roughly the same, and when you go into the lower millage cars your looking at like 24-25K for a TL with 60-70K kilometeres.

i bought my 05 non navi for 17k cdn in toronto... with 105 000 kms... i just bought the car maybe 4 weeks ago...

i've seen 05 non navi go for 16.9 with 130 000 kms in a whole lot worst shape than my car.

the only navi one i found was an 04 and they were asking 16k with 155 000kms

if it's just the front plate, that's fine, but if it's the whole gauge cluster, you'll have to get it calibrated and the odometer will be incorrect since the MID holds the info for that.
Old 07-02-2009, 08:34 PM
Intermediate

I imported my '08 T.L. from Ohio to Windsor last October, no problem. You must wait 72 hours, and yes fax customs the title and info etc.

Why change all the gauges etc. It's not necessary.
It's in both miles and km's and easy to read. I actually prefer the larger reading in miles, perhaps since I'm old.

My T.L. which had 7,000 miles on it and now has 15,000 was cheaper in the U.S. especially last Fall when the Canadian dollar was around 93 cents U.S.

Once in Ontario I needed a safety, a federal inspection at Canadian Tire, but no E-Test since it was a current model , ie '08 in '08.
The dealer in Bedford Ohio was also great to work with.
Hey anyone looking for a great deal on a fantastic '08 T.L. let me know.
Old 07-03-2009, 11:56 AM
Intermediate

okay, and what fees did you have to pay at the border? just the RIV fee and the import tax 6.1% right? when you plated the car did you have to pay 2 more taxes?
Old 07-03-2009, 01:01 PM
Intermediate

No 6.1 percent tax. In Ontario I paid the 5% gst, and when I put the plates on the 8% provincial tax.

That was about it. The fed. inspec. plus the Ontario safety. Less than an hour, and quite easy.
Old 07-04-2009, 03:38 AM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just GST and PST.i dont think you have to pay the 6% import tax cause the car was built in north america.The border fee will include the Federal inspection at any canadian tire across canada or a couple of other specific shops on the govt. list, the out of province inspection you will have to pay out of your pocket after. yo can goto any other shop or even the stealership if they have a tech. that is licenced to do OOP's.

And yes canadian TL's are overpriced, got my 04 about a year and a half ago for 28K CND. now that i look back i feel like i got screwed big time.
Old 07-04-2009, 01:45 PM
Intermediate

so its actualy only the RIV fee and federal inspection fee that i must pay when importing it to canada.

wow, thats cheaper then expected.
Old 07-04-2009, 03:47 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by BELLER

Why change all the gauges etc. It's not necessary.
It's in both miles and km's and easy to read. I actually prefer the larger reading in miles, perhaps since I'm old.
The 04-06 TL had different gauges, the secondary font is IMPOSSIBLE to read, day or night.
Old 07-04-2009, 03:48 PM
Instructor

so its actualy only the RIV fee and federal inspection fee that i must pay when importing it to canada.

wow, thats cheaper then expected.
I imported my SHO a few years back so I don't fully remember all the fees and paperwork involved, but it wasn't much. The RIV websites directions are pretty spot on.
Old 07-05-2009, 12:00 AM
Intermediate

*snip* i can sell condoms to a monk..*snip*
hahahahahahahahahahahaha
Old 07-06-2009, 10:05 PM
06 6mt A-Spec Navi

Originally Posted by <{Kris}>
The 04-06 TL had different gauges, the secondary font is IMPOSSIBLE to read, day or night.
I agree I just got back from Orlando in my 06 and in the day time you can not see the small font mph at all i just converted it on the nav to save me a ticket lol.