Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm sorry, but the TL rapes the new BMW 3

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2005, 02:34 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm sorry, but the TL rapes the new BMW 3

I own a 2005 NBP/Camel Auto/navi Tl (absolutely gorgeous btw), and recently drove the new BMW 3 series, and to be honest with you, I dont understand what all the hype is about. The driving dynamics of the 3 were superb, but not THAT much better than the TL...I mean, come on, gimme a break. If I were to rate the the driving dynamics of the 3 a 10, I would give the TL a 9, but.....the interior, now thats a different story....BMW a 7, TL a 10. The interior of the TL just absolutely RAPES the new bmw, cant even compare.....BMW just looks plain medieval as far as I'm concerned.

I'm sure the performance of the A-spec cuts the gap that much closer. The TL is roomier, the NAVI is best in its class, better value, cant beat the blue lights (absoultely sick!), and the exhaust sounds like a freakin beast when pushed. All this nonsense about the new 3 is just hogwash. In the past, it was far ahead of its competition, but the gap, is almost inperceivable during everyday driving. But I understand the need for 3 series drivers to justify their purchase...they're spending thousdands more, so hell ya, why not try to justify your purchase. Call me crazy, call me stupid...but the TL molests the new 3 in almost every aspect. To think otherwise, is just plain living in the past. Just my 2 cents.
Old 08-21-2005, 03:47 AM
9.5+10.5 22m=Hella Flush

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by blacktlsport
I own a 2005 NBP/Camel Auto/navi Tl (absolutely gorgeous btw), and recently drove the new BMW 3 series, and to be honest with you, I dont understand what all the hype is about. The driving dynamics of the 3 were superb, but not THAT much better than the TL...I mean, come on, gimme a break. If I were to rate the the driving dynamics of the 3 a 10, I would give the TL a 9, but.....the interior, now thats a different story....BMW a 7, TL a 10. The interior of the TL just absolutely RAPES the new bmw, cant even compare.....BMW just looks plain medieval as far as I'm concerned.

I'm sure the performance of the A-spec cuts the gap that much closer. The TL is roomier, the NAVI is best in its class, better value, cant beat the blue lights (absoultely sick!), and the exhaust sounds like a freakin beast when pushed. All this nonsense about the new 3 is just hogwash. In the past, it was far ahead of its competition, but the gap, is almost inperceivable during everyday driving. But I understand the need for 3 series drivers to justify their purchase...they're spending thousdands more, so hell ya, why not try to justify your purchase. Call me crazy, call me stupid...but the TL molests the new 3 in almost every aspect. To think otherwise, is just plain living in the past. Just my 2 cents.

I felt the same when I jumped into the new 330i and I was not impress at all for the interior. Especially the front seats looks thin and cheap without any side supports. The dash is like back in the 80's (Very plain and I think the previous gen's interior looks way better) so I think they took a big step back from the interior instead of taking a step forward. The only thing I liked about the new 3 is the exterior styling and the handling. But that will not sell me but the TL did as it is a total package compare to the new 3 series!!
Old 08-21-2005, 07:21 AM
Banned

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts
Smile

Sorry guys, but I *disagree*.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/att...chmentid=53175
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/att...chmentid=53176

I have come to prefer the 330i interior (I prefer the TL exterior, though).

I am willing to give 18.5/20 to the TL overall (because I really like it) and 19/20 to the 330i (because I love it).

I had the occasion to test drive a few E90 325/330 on a closed circuit and the 330i flies. If it is what you are interested for, the 330i is easier to control/maintain in a drift. I think that the 3-series is just a better toy.
Old 08-21-2005, 10:02 AM
TL 2012 SH-AWD TECH/UMBER

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
how many people are going to drive on race track and how often. If you are a race driver buy a race car specially designed and tuned for that.

For a daily driver you won't see a lot of differences.

I like to push the TL sometimes and it's fun may be it's more fun with a bmw but the fun is that i didn't spend $10000 more for almost the same performances.

Here in CAnada with a lot of potholes it's better to have a less sporty suspension.
Old 08-21-2005, 11:24 AM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Saintor

I am willing to give 18.5/20 to the TL overall (because I really like it) and 19/20 to the 330i (because I love it).

I had the occasion to test drive a few E90 325/330 on a closed circuit and the 330i flies. If it is what you are interested for, the 330i is easier to control/maintain in a drift. I think that the 3-series is just a better toy.
What a shock this post was
Old 08-21-2005, 11:44 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...8&page=1&pp=25

Oh well..then what do you guys think of this post considering TL vs 330. The same discusion is happening t this thread https://acurazine.com/forums/dating-relationships-14/age-consent-121441/
Old 08-21-2005, 12:48 PM
05 BMW 745i, 07 BMW 335i

You're simply blinded by the fact that you love your TL....3 series is a very aggresive car and has a big edge over TL. Tl has a nicer interior though and like you said it's roomier, but as far as driving dynamics I thing, at least new 3 series, is a lot better than TL.
If TL would switch to AWD than it would be a different story...
Old 08-21-2005, 12:57 PM
Instructor

Your choice of terms (raping and molesting) is creepy. Once, making a salacious point. Twice, subconscious tendencies are at work...
Old 08-21-2005, 01:37 PM
Shift_faster

Originally Posted by MichiganRich
Your choice of terms (raping and molesting) is creepy. Once, making a salacious point. Twice, subconscious tendencies are at work...

I am expecting an emergence of vs. threads now that the 3 and the A4 are redesigned. Lots of people looking to justify lots of decisions...
Old 08-21-2005, 09:24 PM
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE=Saintor]Sorry guys, but I *disagree*.

Sorry, that interior doesn't hold a candle next to the TL's.
Old 08-21-2005, 09:29 PM
Banned

What about after you factor in the price difference?
Old 08-21-2005, 09:54 PM
Instructor

“I think that the 3-series is just a better toy.” I think that is the essence of the difference between TL and 330. The interior and exterior appearance is the matter of taste. I like TL exterior more than the BMW. I think BMW ruined classy exterior of previous models, but that is my taste. I drove 330 and liked how that car handles. It handles better that the TL, and I feel the brakes are better than in the TL. But are the brakes SO MUCH better? Does it handle SO MUCH better? No, and No! There is no world difference, just some, and someone’s personal; perception. Well said, Saintor, it’s just a better toy.
Old 08-21-2005, 11:43 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by mlionel

I think that the 3-series is just a better toy.” I think that is the essence of the difference between TL and 330. The interior and exterior appearance is the matter of taste. I like TL exterior more than the BMW. I think BMW ruined classy exterior of previous models, but that is my taste. I drove 330 and liked how that car handles. It handles better that the TL, and I feel the brakes are better than in the TL. But are the brakes SO MUCH better? Does it handle SO MUCH better? No, and No! There is no world difference, just some, and someone’s personal; perception. Well said, Saintor, it’s just a better toy.
Yes, I agree, a better toy for a lot more money. More upfront and probably more in the long run. We all have to decide for ourselves if it is worth it. My vote so-far has been no. A TL is not a BMW and that is why I have one.
Old 08-22-2005, 12:02 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 708 Likes on 325 Posts
This is quite possibly not relevant...

I'm not sure if the TL exactly "rapes" the Bimmer, but I'm 100% sure it's better than the 1985 Nissan Sentra SE.

In fact, even if Japan never ever in a million years agrees to apologize for the Nanking Massacre during World War II, they should at least apologize for the 1985 Nissan Sentra SE.

Old 08-22-2005, 05:04 AM
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

I agree with you, I recently drove the new 330 as well, I don't like the interior, at all, and while it handles and seems to be a little better balanced than the TL, I still don't think it justifies $45K to be similarily equipped as the TL. The one cool thing about the BMW is the keyless start, that is pretty cool, but something I can definetely live with out.

I drove the automatic 330 because they dind't have any sticks in, hopefully when they get them in all be able to try it out as well.
Old 08-22-2005, 05:49 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Apples to Oranges folks, they arent even the same size or drive configuration.
Old 08-22-2005, 07:40 AM
Team Anthracite Member

A family member recently (last Year I guess) got a BMW 3 series - I was sooo pumped to see it and drive it cause I had ridden in one back in the late 90's and LOVED it. I guess this one is a 2003 or 2004 and the interior is really lame and cheap looking. Not worth my money or my time. Really disappointed. TL interior so much better. But, the BMW I rode in back in the late 90's handled unbelivably tho - swore I would get one some day, but after seeing the lastest interior - nasty.
Old 08-22-2005, 08:05 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,285 Likes on 2,643 Posts
Nope, I feel the same as blacktlsport. I don't love my TL, will agree the 3 series has better dynamics but only slightly better. Haven't drove a new 3 series yet (drove a 2004 330) but drove recently drove a 2005 530 and didn't think it was that much better than a TL.

Originally Posted by nikko
You're simply blinded by the fact that you love your TL....3 series is a very aggresive car and has a big edge over TL. Tl has a nicer interior though and like you said it's roomier, but as far as driving dynamics I thing, at least new 3 series, is a lot better than TL.
If TL would switch to AWD than it would be a different story...
Old 08-22-2005, 10:57 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 209 Likes on 168 Posts
Unhappy Re: Molestation

Agreed. "Owns it" would work just fine for me.
Old 08-22-2005, 12:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Do you like Pizza? I kinda of like Pepsi better.

See, totally different things you are comparing, 330Ci is not a TL, they're in different leagues.
Old 08-22-2005, 03:09 PM
Tristate ViP Crew

I agree with everything blacktl says..It's all hype and not worth the 45K. The TL interior is superior is not that far behind in handling. Once more toys come out for the TL it would be even more fun to drive. I would never buy a bimmer unless it had an M in front of the number. TL>BMW 330Ci always has been and always will be. I give props to BMW and Audi to beefing up the power but I think the TL wins hands down in and out..All Acura needs is an AWD TL and wishfully hoping a turbo or supercharged version.
Old 08-22-2005, 03:43 PM
Intermediate

The only advantage that the BMW has over the TL, is the fact that it is RWD wil near 50/50 weigh distribution. Other than that the TL pretty much $hits on the BMW, even before you factor in the goodies.

Even if they were the same price, it would still be a tough call, due to matter of tast. The true "enthusiast" would prefer the RWD platform. The person that wants a perfect balance of lux/power/practability/cost, would prefer the TL. TL is a good long-term buy, BMW is a good short-term lease.

GL if you plan on keeping the BMW post warranty.
Old 08-22-2005, 04:53 PM
Banned

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by TheMainEvEnt
Do you like Pizza? I kinda of like Pepsi better.

See, totally different things you are comparing, 330Ci is not a TL, they're in different leagues.

Naaaah. Actually the old 325i won a comparo over the TL in Car&Driver. Imagine a new 330i...
Old 08-22-2005, 05:33 PM
Advanced

What am I not surprised to see people bashing on BMWs on an Acura website??? Of course you like your TL better...that's why you purchased one. Car magazines have been praising the 3 series for the past decade because it is an awesome car to drive. They put the car to various tests to see how the car performs while accelerating, cornering, braking, etc. But most people only drive freeways and city streets. A novice driver won’t feel much of a difference between the driving dynamics of the TL to a 3. We can’t tell if one car handles better than another. We look for things like how comfortable the seats are and how nice the interior looks. We hear numbers like 270 horsepower and think it’s better than the 3’s 255 horses (a number that is totally overrated BTW). Bash all you want on the 3, but it’s on top of all the car magazine’s lists for a reason.

With that said, I wouldn’t trade in my TL for the new 3. I love my TL because it’s comfy, smooth, and doesn’t put too big a dent in my wallet. The 3 might drive slightly better than the TL because of its RWD, but I wouldn’t be able to tell the difference anyway.
Old 08-22-2005, 05:36 PM
Banned

Naaaah. Actually the old 325i won a comparo over the TL in Car&Driver. Imagine a new 330i...
You mean a new 330i that has a base MSRP that's 20% higher than TL's?
Old 08-22-2005, 05:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by socal16
What am I not surprised to see people bashing on BMWs on an Acura website??? Of course you like your TL better...that's why you purchased one.
WRONG! I like BMWs. It's the fact that it costs a LOT more to buy a comparably equipped BMW. All things being equal (namely the price) and I'd choose a BMW 330i over a TL.
Old 08-22-2005, 05:55 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
Apples to Oranges folks, they arent even the same size or drive configuration.

Try comparing the TL to a true sport luxury vehicle like the 5 series and then maybe this discussion would make more sense.
Old 08-22-2005, 07:26 PM
Instructor

I was about to mention the same thing. Sort of annoying way of talking.
Old 08-22-2005, 09:31 PM
05 BMW 745i, 07 BMW 335i

Originally Posted by socal16
What am I not surprised to see people bashing on BMWs on an Acura website??? Of course you like your TL better...that's why you purchased one. Car magazines have been praising the 3 series for the past decade because it is an awesome car to drive. They put the car to various tests to see how the car performs while accelerating, cornering, braking, etc. But most people only drive freeways and city streets. A novice driver won’t feel much of a difference between the driving dynamics of the TL to a 3. We can’t tell if one car handles better than another. We look for things like how comfortable the seats are and how nice the interior looks. We hear numbers like 270 horsepower and think it’s better than the 3’s 255 horses (a number that is totally overrated BTW). Bash all you want on the 3, but it’s on top of all the car magazine’s lists for a reason.

With that said, I wouldn’t trade in my TL for the new 3. I love my TL because it’s comfy, smooth, and doesn’t put too big a dent in my wallet. The 3 might drive slightly better than the TL because of its RWD, but I wouldn’t be able to tell the difference anyway.
Just so you know according to SAE ratings 2006 Acura TL has been downrated to 258 HP whereas BMW 330i is still 255 HP.
To me TL never felt 270 HP anyway. You're right about the rest though...
Old 08-22-2005, 09:44 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Batman-JGII

Try comparing the TL to a true sport luxury vehicle like the 5 series and then maybe this discussion would make more sense.
The TL is an Accord in drag, it stands no chance in hell against REAL luxury sports sedans.

The CURRENT TL never could beat the E46 3 in ANY comparsion. It stands NO CHANCE against the new one.

Some of you feel the 3 is not worth 45k. Many people think the TL isn't worth 35k, and would rather just get an Accord.

The TL is a fine car but nowhere near the class leading 3. The TL is only sold to us fat ass Americans. The 3 is sold eveywhere.
Old 08-22-2005, 11:07 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by AcuraGT-3
The TL is an Accord in drag, it stands no chance in hell against REAL luxury sports sedans.
A. OK, so what? B. What do you mean? It competes quite well in all areas. The only way you can consider an E46 or E90 luxury is by the price, not the features

The CURRENT TL never could beat the E46 3 in ANY comparsion. It stands NO CHANCE against the new one.
What are you smoking? For starters the E46 starts life as an overpriced sub compact that must have expensive options to not be a laughing stock. It will out corner a TL; what else?

Some of you feel the 3 is not worth 45k. Many people think the TL isn't worth 35k, and would rather just get an Accord.
There are many less expensive cars that could be substituted for each. again, what's your point?

The TL is a fine car but nowhere near the class leading 3. The TL is only sold to us fat ass Americans. The 3 is sold eveywhere.
The 3 is a class leader only because of one criteria (cornering). A bunch of sheep have taken that for the Holy Grail of driving. Some of us look at the entire experience and wanted something more. BTW - BMW doesn't have the $$ to produce a reasonably priced and sized car for we 'fat Americans'.

If you feel that BMW makes the car for you, buy one. Most of us have decided otherwise for ourselves.
Old 08-22-2005, 11:07 PM
Love to have a TL

i am sorry
but i just test drove the 330i
it can't rape the 3 series
yes
is just better interior
but the 330i was a great ride
i love the ride
is so good
i love it
it keep me from wanting to drive it more !!!
Old 08-22-2005, 11:35 PM
Team Nighthawk

I had looked at the 3 series as a consideration, but even with the new look...i was not impressed by the interior. It was a bit boring for me. The only BMW I really like is either the M3 or the 7 series.
Old 08-22-2005, 11:53 PM
Home Of The Gemini Method

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
For me, it was the price of a new TL versus a used M3, 540i or the Mercedes E Class. Plus, I have always liked this body style of the TL.
Old 08-23-2005, 12:26 AM
It is OK to smoke V8's.

Talking

6speet TL /w summer tires - $32K ( )
Open track day - $400.
Hotel, gas, helmet, brake pads - $300

The face of a 3 series BMW owner/driver giving you a point-by cuz he can't keep up - F@king PRICELESS !!!

Old 08-23-2005, 03:49 AM
Intermediate

Ok, I just happen to own both an A-Spec TL (with the Comptech rear sway bar) and a 330i. So, I've logged quite a bit of time driving both. And in the end, lets put it this way... my wife drives the TL and I drive the 330i.

If you've driven these cars, and can't tell a marked difference between the two, then I'm sorry but that's not good. I mean, even with the A-Spec suspension and the Comptech rear sway, the TL is no where near the BMW in so far as how the cars drive. The TL without the A-Spec, shit, that's not even in the same universe.

Now if you just prefer a softer ride, like riding on a couch, when you drive around then that's fine. But don't go saying "the driving dynamics of the 3 were superb, but not THAT much better than the TL..." Sheeze, you might as well say, "Hey, you all know I can't drive that well because I can't tell the difference between a rear wheel drive and a front wheel drive car." Goodness.
Old 08-23-2005, 04:00 AM
Instructor

Well, I think the TL is the best value, lots of gadgets, great fit and finish, hot looking car compared to the new 3 series. However, when it comes to performance, BMW will always come out ahead. My roomates 13 year old, 210,000 mile 325i blows my 2005 TL away in handling. My TL feels like a nose heavy sled, it wants to push through the turns all the time. And the torque steer, although no quite as bad a the FWD V8 Caddilacs (worst ever) is pretty bad. But for me the TL is great, I love mine. Rear wheel drive will always outperform FWD just because of the dynamics, though, and weight distribution.
Old 08-23-2005, 07:59 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,285 Likes on 2,643 Posts
Which SAE standard is BMW using (the new or old) for H/P rating?

Originally Posted by nikko
Just so you know according to SAE ratings 2006 Acura TL has been downrated to 258 HP whereas BMW 330i is still 255 HP.
To me TL never felt 270 HP anyway. You're right about the rest though...
Old 08-23-2005, 08:31 AM
At least I'm housebroken.

The TL is unquestionably a better value than a comprably equipped BMW - no question. (Really, the comparison, given its size, should be with the 5-series, which start around $42,000 and go up rapidly from there.) If all you care about is the value question, then the TL wins.

Of course, nobody here really cares about the value issue. We are here because we're car enthusiasts. If we weren't, we'd be driving around in 7-year-old Accords we bought for $8,000, which, when you get right down to it, will get you from point A to point B just the same as a TL does.

I just sold my TL to buy a used M3. Is the TL a better value? Of course. I just spent $1200 for the M's 30,000 mile checkup. The TL's 12,000 mile checkup was $120. The TL has a smoother ride, a quieter interior, and is better on gas. The M is loud, has a rougher ride over bad roads, and gets about as good mileage as an SUV. Of course, no torque steer (which, admit it, is pretty bad), so tight, and just pick-your-feet-up fast. Makes the TL feel like a Caddy. I liked the TL; I love the M.

Is the TL a smarter financial choice? Yup. Is it in the same league as any 3, 5, or 7-series? No.
Old 08-23-2005, 08:34 AM
At least I'm housebroken.

Originally Posted by 6speedv6
6speet TL /w summer tires - $32K ( )
Open track day - $400.
Hotel, gas, helmet, brake pads - $300

The face of a 3 series BMW owner/driver giving you a point-by cuz he can't keep up - F@king PRICELESS !!!

I don't think your luxury sedan was too happy about that track day, as you can tell by the extreme body roll in your sig.

Quick Reply: I'm sorry, but the TL rapes the new BMW 3