3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If you're not digging the "plood", here's an OEM option...

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 11:00 AM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
If you're not digging the "plood", here's an OEM option...

So I'm loving my 2006 WDP/Parchment 6MT Navi TL...
I totally dig the White Diamond Pearl exterior and I'm OK with the Parchment interior (I'm a lot happier with it now that it's gettin hot out... so much cooler).
I originally wanted Ebony, but couldn't find a WDP/Ebony 6MT/Navi anywhere in the US without a 60-90 day wait.

The only thing I'm on the fence about is the fake wood trim that's installed o the center console and on the doors. It is nice looking, justy kind of "old mannish"... and certainly doesn't fit the A-spec sports sean theme.

So in my studies over the past few months, I've identified a few things to "sport up" the interior.

First:
I'm replacing all the rubber mats with black ones. Black all season floor mats, black door pocket mats, and black door pocker sunglass holder liners. I've listed the PN's below. Should be about $40 form your favorite online parts dealer (excluding the all season mats).

83512 SEP A01ZA - RF Sunglass liner 5.94
83513 SEP A01ZA - LF Sunglass liner 12.32
83562 SEP A01ZA - RF pocker liner 7.89
83563 SEP A01ZA - LF pocker liner 12.32

If you're not digging the plood, why not replace the upper and lower console pocket, shifter trim, and door trims with those from an Ebony interior TL ( with "plarbon pliber" interior). Those trim peices are sold seperately...
I think the 2 tone parchment/black interior with fake carbon fiber inserts is gonna look pretty sharp. It's not exactly cheap, around $400 for all the parts, but hey, you gotta pay to make it what you want. Install should be a breeze. I installed the Acura Ipod Musiclink and Comptech short shifter... so getting the console apart is old hat now... and getting the door liners off seems to be a snap. I assume the carbon door trims snap on/off from the backside of the door liner (anyone ahve any idea on this)?
You could also add the additional carbon fiber accessory kits from the dealer to further match up with the new interior.

77294 SEP A01ZA - Carbon shifter trim 25.18
77301 SEP A01ZA - Carbon front pocket 58.24
77302 SEP A01ZA - Carbon lower front pocket 52.69
83534 SEP A01ZA - Carbon FR Door trim 61.17
83584 SEP A01ZA - Carbon FL Door trim 53.59
83734 SEP A01ZA - Carbon RR Door trim 61.43
83784 SEP A01ZA - Carbon LR Door trim 61.39

Anyhow, I think I've convinced myself to go for it, just wanted to solicit the forums thoughts before I commit.
Old 04-26-2006, 11:12 AM
Wants an M3 in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
its going to look very bad.
Old 04-26-2006, 11:23 AM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Originally Posted by ludachrisvt
Just curious what you say that... To dark contrasted with too light? That's the only concern I have.

The 2 tone mats looks nice. The interior is already 2 tone with the black dash and parchement panels...
Old 04-26-2006, 12:18 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
Do and post pics...I'll let someone else post the notorious smilie...
Old 04-26-2006, 12:18 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by ludachrisvt

I disagree, we had a member on here that accidently got a cf trim piece in his parchment interior and it looked good. I say go for it!
Old 04-26-2006, 12:21 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Keep adding things one at a time and pretty soon you'll end up with the ebony interior you wanted!
Old 04-26-2006, 12:24 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Originally Posted by Andrew McCarthy
Keep adding things one at a time and pretty soon you'll end up with the ebony interior you wanted!
That's funny...
No way. Too hot. I'll never go back to all black.

I've found a set of CF trim for the console on ebay... So anyone's interested, please don't over bid me.

Please let me try to get those pieces and try them out cheaper than buying new...

What's the "notorious smile?"
Old 04-26-2006, 12:45 PM
05' WDP A-SPEC

i got the CF door pieces and CF around the shifter and the two lower compartments under the navi. its on a quartz interior. looks f'in badass! i seen some with pics of interiors done up with ever CF interior piece u can get and its way too much CF. i would do one peice at a time like someone else suggested or try the setup i got 1st. personally, i dont think CF would go with the parch interior at all. parchment=woodgrain=oldman. quartz or ebony=carbonfiber=badass!
Old 04-26-2006, 12:56 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Kennedy
What's the "notorious smile?"
I'm guessing it's one of the smilies that lose their lunch.

Post pics- you'll see! LOL
Old 04-26-2006, 12:59 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

No, I actually think it will look decent...I was referring to...

Old 04-26-2006, 01:08 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Originally Posted by edsonfire
i got the CF door pieces and CF around the shifter and the two lower compartments under the navi. its on a quartz interior. looks f'in badass! i seen some with pics of interiors done up with ever CF interior piece u can get and its way too much CF. i would do one peice at a time like someone else suggested or try the setup i got 1st. personally, i dont think CF would go with the parch interior at all. parchment=woodgrain=oldman. quartz or ebony=carbonfiber=badass!
I don't like the Quartz at all... Gray to me in an interior is way to boring... Seems that's the color of every Honda interior. I like the tan leather a lot, just not keen on the fake wood. I actually prefer the more dramatic tan colors... that baseball glove orange on the 350Z gives ME wood! Camel is a bit darker, but not available on WDP.

quartz/ebony=carbonfiber="hotass". I had black leather in my last 2 cars, and will never have it again. I can replace these CF trim peices an they'll look like they came with th car.

Remember, I'm not proposing to buy an aftermarket kit... I'm proposing replacing the stock wood trim that comes with the parchment interior with the stock carbon fiber that comes with the quartz/ebony interior. All the rest of the interior would stay the same.

-Oldman just trying to innovate a bit.
Old 04-26-2006, 01:11 PM
Fightin' Texas Aggie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'd like to see this. I hope you go for it and post some pics for us to see.
Old 04-27-2006, 07:50 AM
Racer

I don't like the Quartz at all... Gray to me in an interior is way to boring... Seems that's the color of every Honda interior. I like the tan leather a lot, just not keen on the fake wood. I actually prefer the more dramatic tan colors... that baseball glove orange on the 350Z gives ME wood! Camel is a bit darker, but not available on WDP.

quartz/ebony=carbonfiber="hotass". I had black leather in my last 2 cars, and will never have it again. I can replace these CF trim peices an they'll look like they came with th car.

Remember, I'm not proposing to buy an aftermarket kit... I'm proposing replacing the stock wood trim that comes with the parchment interior with the stock carbon fiber that comes with the quartz/ebony interior. All the rest of the interior would stay the same.

-Oldman just trying to innovate a bit.
In my opinion, and no offense to those who disagree, there shouldn't be wood in the TL, unless they removed the aluminum trim. The wood/metal doesn't look right to me. It's like a compromise between to interior designers.

I think the parchment interior is gorgeous. If it was all wood, I would have probably gotten a different exterior color.

gurney
Old 04-27-2006, 08:59 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
Originally Posted by gurneyeagle
In my opinion, and no offense to those who disagree, there shouldn't be wood in the TL, unless they removed the aluminum trim. The wood/metal doesn't look right to me. It's like a compromise between to interior designers.

I think the parchment interior is gorgeous. If it was all wood, I would have probably gotten a different exterior color.

gurney
I like the wood and agree that the aluminum shouldn't be there in the tan along with the wood. The wood should also have been darker for better contrast. I have a WDP / Parchment and just traded in a Passat Black/Biege on it and the dark wood in it was a lot nicer.

Here is a pix of the interior and it also had the door accents
Old 04-27-2006, 09:14 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Swap out the light plood with dark plood? I know it doesn't eliminate the aluminum, but it's a start. Oddly enough, originally, I wanted WDP w/ parchment; however, when I was sitting in it, something about the light leather/light wood/aluminum/black dash didn't look/feel right...too many contrasting colors, I guess.
Old 04-27-2006, 09:30 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by chill_dog
Swap out the light plood with dark plood? I know it doesn't eliminate the aluminum, but it's a start. Oddly enough, originally, I wanted WDP w/ parchment; however, when I was sitting in it, something about the light leather/light wood/aluminum/black dash didn't look/feel right...too many contrasting colors, I guess.

I say swap out the light wood AND aluminum for dark wood. That would look gorgeous.

gurney
Old 04-27-2006, 09:41 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Originally Posted by gurneyeagle
I say swap out the light wood AND aluminum for dark wood. That would look gorgeous.

gurney
I don't think anyone makes replacement parts for the aluminum trim pieces. If they did, I think it would look great.
Old 12-05-2006, 03:44 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

PICS finally

So I did this conversion many moons ago, but just got around to posting pics based on the prompting from numerous folks with questions. The PN's are all valid above. I am particularly liking the 2 tone effect.

Also note, I replaced the back vents of the center console and console upper trim with black pieces to make them flow together better. That Carbon Fiber sticker for the rear of the console looked awful funny with tan vents.

Unique, and sports up that luxury tan interior a bit.

Please ignore the filth... It's cold outside, and I ain't cleanin in this weather. You're lucky to have pics. Crappy camera phone pics at that.

So I've got a few other things to do/I'm considering...

1) replacing the drivers door memory buttons with the silver TL-S version.
2) Replacing the tan door seals, b-pillars, front and rear lower runner trim, footwell trim, and the rear parcel shelf with all black parts... That would make the 2 tone pop. then add black oh shit handles from the new TL-S...
When do you stop? I'm really probably done at this point. There's no ROI for these parts, as noone would ever want them in a part out.

Needless to say, I have a MINT complete fake wood interior set I'd sell for $250 ($360 new)

Old 12-05-2006, 04:00 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

I don't know about the rear vent CF piece, but the rest looks awesome!!! It totally changes the appearance from to . Trimming it out in black per #2 would really set it off (leave oh $hit handles tan, though). Overall, looks great, and looking forward to seeing the next round .
Old 12-05-2006, 04:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 93 Posts
The doors and center console dont look too bad. But vent section for the rear looks like *** though. Just too contrast-y I think. Then again I was never a fan of parchment.
Old 12-05-2006, 04:13 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
Want to try replacing the headrests with black ones?
Old 12-05-2006, 05:14 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Originally Posted by chill_dog
I don't know about the rear vent CF piece, but the rest looks awesome!!! It totally changes the appearance from to . Trimming it out in black per #2 would really set it off (leave oh $hit handles tan, though). Overall, looks great, and looking forward to seeing the next round .
CD, thanks...
Yeah, the black on the edges would really pop. I put the CF on the rear console when I was planning to do the black edging... but I still like it.

I still like the rear section, it look a lot better in person. The front vents are black, and contrast against the tan underside of the dash... this is no different... and the black trim edging would really "tie the room together" - the dude.

Geekybiker... to each his own. I prefer the Ebony interior visually, but not practically. It's too hot in the summer. I'm extremely happy with this compromise... to include the rear contrasty vents.

Lee dog, I initially though about doing that... sort of a a "black blanket" across the top. Problem is 1) they're not cheap. 2) it looks funny only on the headrest... you really need some way to tie the black into the seat... and that's serious bucks.

I think the $400 in more trim parts is enough to even scare me off, much less another $500 in headrests. Those damn door seals are $35 each.

I'm gunshy on used interior stuff too.
I bought an entire black interior (except seats) from a 2006 wrecker. It showed up completely trashed... Not one usable peice. I was going to 2tone ala TL-S (lower interior all black except the tan headliner, seats, and leather armrests and door liners centers). After fighting with my credit card company the entire summer, I finally got a full refund, but I'm done with junkyards.

It's a pricey venture with all new stuff... and again, no ROI. No way I'll be able to sell this stuff afterwards.
Old 12-05-2006, 05:23 PM
acura-cl.com OG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
looks good, like oem to me. personally i like the "woodgrain" look, too bad acura doesn't use real wood
Old 12-05-2006, 05:27 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Originally Posted by ding069
looks good, like oem to me.
It is OEM. I replaced the OEM woodgrain with OEM carbon fiber parts from an ebony interior car...

The only "stickon" is the OEM accessory matching pieces that fit on the back of the console and on the cupholders.
Old 12-05-2006, 06:52 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 217 Likes on 131 Posts
not sure about the rear vents.

but I think the rest looks great. like the pedals too. have a set myself.

I agree, there is never any ROI on anything you do to this car....
Old 12-05-2006, 06:54 PM
acura-cl.com OG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It is OEM. I replaced the OEM woodgrain with OEM carbon fiber parts from an ebony interior car...

The only "stickon" is the OEM accessory matching pieces that fit on the back of the console and on the cupholders.
i know that

i am saying, it looks like the car could have came like that and that it wasnt a "mod"
Old 12-05-2006, 07:15 PM
Kaa - Ching !!!

Location: Rhode Island.....Self-Proclaimed Chromed Cousin of Brettallica
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks great buddy - love the CF. Have you seen the "Black Wood" (not what yur thinking) that they use in the 07 TL base? Caught a look at it today - didn't look to bad on parchment but I like your CF better.
Old 12-05-2006, 07:21 PM
Kaa - Ching !!!

Looking back at those pics again ........... how hard was it swaping out the rear vents for black? I have a CF rear trim coming for my quartz interior and think I may swap my gray vents for black to blend better like you did.......that looks good
Old 12-05-2006, 07:32 PM
Not a dude.

"Plood"? What the hell is "plood"? I asked myself.

Oh.

I thought that stuff was REAL WOOD!

(sobs quietly)
Old 12-05-2006, 07:34 PM
Kaa - Ching !!!

stupid name for it huh.......took me a while to figure out what it was too......
Old 12-05-2006, 09:09 PM
Fightin' Texas Aggie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Lookin' good Kennedy! I can't stand that fake wood.
Old 12-05-2006, 09:37 PM
Opium den in

Well done pal
Old 12-06-2006, 06:45 AM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

All...
Thanks for the feedback.

Steve. I did see the "blackwood", but to agree, I like the CF better. The orange fake wood is a nice contract of colors, but just doesn't fit with the A-Spec steering wheel, Skunk2 shifter and such.

To answer your question on the rear console. You'd need:
Part number 10:
83403-SEP-A01ZA

and perhaps part number 18 if you wanted the matching pocket:
83416-SEP-A01ZA

It's not too involved to replace the rear section, but you have to remove the whole center console, and virtually disassemble it to get the rear section removed. Took about 20 minutes, no big deal.

Originally Posted by SteveP66
Looking back at those pics again ........... how hard was it swaping out the rear vents for black? I have a CF rear trim coming for my quartz interior and think I may swap my gray vents for black to blend better like you did.......that looks good
Old 12-07-2006, 10:33 PM
Kaa - Ching !!!

whoa that looks like a spring project for me
Old 12-23-2006, 08:06 AM
The closet is for wimps

I'd like some darker wood pieces for the door panels on mine. Darker wood with black interior looks very good, IMO.

I never had a problem with the parchment or camel interiors and the lighter wood. In fact, those would've been my first choices. It doesn't look "old man"-ish.. it's classy. There's a difference.
Old 12-23-2006, 09:49 AM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Originally Posted by mu1980
I'd like some darker wood pieces for the door panels on mine. Darker wood with black interior looks very good, IMO.

I never had a problem with the parchment or camel interiors and the lighter wood. In fact, those would've been my first choices. It doesn't look "old man"-ish.. it's classy. There's a difference.
Real burlwood is classy... Fake cheapo plastic isn't. Not only that, the TL, with the A-Spec kit, 19's, a drop, and such brings a really sporty flavor to the car making the wood look even more out of place. I like burlwood on true luxury cars...

FYI, the 2007 TL's interior was replaced with "Blackwood"... A very dark fake wood, it seems even Acura got away from that iridescent orange fake wood. You could easily order the same pieces I specified above (except with the blackwood color code), and replace the carbon fiber pieces in your current TL.

Someone would likely buy your carbon fiber pieces as well, now that's I"ve shown what it looks like on a Parchment interior car.

You can see the "blackwood" on Acura.com TL images.
Old 12-24-2006, 06:39 AM
The closet is for wimps

Real burlwood is classy... Fake cheapo plastic isn't.
If the passengers in your car don't know the difference, who cares? And besides.. the look is more important than the feel. Real wood does come in that particular shade. It looks classy, IMO. If the passengers in your car are the stuck-up type who would really look down on such trivial things as that, personally, I'd start looking for new passengers.

If you're going to get a TL with the A-Spec kit, etc. you're probably going to pick the interior that you like.. in which case you'd probably end up with the carbon fiber look anyway.

I don't want anymore black anything in my TL's interior, but thanks for the info.
Old 12-24-2006, 06:57 AM
The closet is for wimps

The brighter color wood-look that comes with the parchment and camel interiors wouldn't go well with the black interior because the contrasts are what make it work.. but a darker burl would. The only way to get that, though, would be to get something non-OEM.. and that would stick out like a sore thumb... so fvck it.
Old 12-24-2006, 07:21 AM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Originally Posted by mu1980
If the passengers in your car don't know the difference, who cares? And besides.. the look is more important than the feel. Real wood does come in that particular shade. It looks classy, IMO. If the passengers in your car are the stuck-up type who would really look down on such trivial things as that, personally, I'd start looking for new passengers.
To each his own... No mods done to my car are for "passenger approval"... I think the fake wood looks like what it is, fake plastic wood, and that's why I replaced it. Glad you like it. Acura didn't seem to like it too much either, as it seems to be gone in 2007.
Old 12-24-2006, 08:32 AM
The closet is for wimps

I've seen real wood in cars.. and sometimes it looks a lot worse than the plastic in our TLs.

BTW.. are the trim pieces separate from the aluminum strip that runs along the door or is it one piece? Did you have to take the door completely apart to make the swap?

As far as Acura eliminating the brighter-colored woodgrain for 2007, hey.. Acura can make mistakes as well as any other manufacturer.

Quick Reply: If you're not digging the "plood", here's an OEM option...