If Acura Monitors This Board - Please Read !

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2004 | 04:27 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cypwood1
Hello ! I have a tad over 81,000 miles-do U think that it's lifespan is closing in on me ? One of my old co-workers will kill to buy this car from me. He's got plenty of $$$$$$$$ but refuses to buy a new car. I tell him "You never saw a Brinks Truck at a Cemetery" I think that if he got 40,000 miles from it, he would be happy. I was going to use the proceeds for a down payment on a 2005
TL

Well, it's up to you, but those O2 sensors cost about $200 each to replace. I don't think your Max will have ANY problems making it another 40K miles. In fact, I believe my own Max will probably be solid to about 190K. Tranny and engine still seem to be perfect (although the car is not as peppy as it once was, but still pretty good for a 10year old car). My car has so many miles that is now nearly worthless for a trade in, which is why we will keep it (it's worth more to us than anyone else).

derscott
Old 04-08-2004 | 04:38 PM
Pro

My answer to this is this thread......http://acura-tl.com/forums/showthrea...=76518....that is it.... :clown:
Old 04-08-2004 | 04:59 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by cypwood1
Stewie. I've calmed down a lot since I got yelled at this morning. I have an open mind and can be reasoned with. I just hope that the issues are taken care of for the 2005 model year. However, this site opened my eyes. U get a pretty good education on this site.
I hear ya. I almost had heart failure when I came here and started reading.
But do yourself a favor and read other car manufacturer's forums and you'll read lots of the same or more likely even worse.

I'm not saying that these aren't legitimate issues that are not normally characteristic of Honda/Acura automobiles. But the only way to know for sure is to see facts and data. I'm not sure how I can get a hold of this info though.

I go back and forth on buying now vs. waiting for a 2005, but that's also got to do with the possibility of AWD.
Old 04-08-2004 | 05:02 PM
Burning Brakes

I love the references to "if you think this is bad, check out a BMW forum". Assuming BMW has it's own share of challenges, why would that exempt Acura from addressing some of the detail type complaints raised here? Because BMW might have electrical problems shouldn't allow Acura to be left off the hook or held to a lower standard for using two sided tape to hold up the headliner. And the tire issue is Acura's fault. They should have done ample testing in all weather conditions before making the decision on what to source on the TL. If they "selected" a sub-standard tire it's by their own decision making process.
Old 04-08-2004 | 05:08 PM
shopguy

Guys, these problems are all easily rectified. I come on this website to chat with Acura lovers about our cars. Sometimes the news is negative but lets do a pole and ask how many people would want to dump their Acura TL for another brand of car that they were considering. The car is awesome fun and after all 6 of my previous cars the only one it comes close too yet surpasses was my 1993 Acura Legend Coupe. All the others were great but they just keep getting better. And if Acura built crappy cars why would I, a man in the auto body industry keep buying them. Well Ill tell you, Quality, reliability, fun to drive, strong resale value and in my eyes a great design. So thats my take. Sorry if its not always positive stuff but realize we are all on here not boasting entirely about our great cars but asking questions to concerns we want answered. Ask me to brag and I will most definatelly brag about my awesome new 2004 TL.
Old 04-08-2004 | 05:19 PM
Instructor

The truth is I have experienced a few of the common problems people raise on this forum.

BUT if I had to do it again, I would buy the car in a heatbeat. Go to the dealer and drive it for yourself, I think you'll fall in love with it as well.

As many people on this forum had said, there will never be a perfect car... there will always be something.
Old 04-08-2004 | 05:22 PM
Safety Car

You guys that think your voice on here makes any difference are crazy .. I FOUGHT Acura .. I know EXACTLY what it takes to get them to "come around" to seeing things your way. Just posting one post on here doesn't do jack ...
Old 04-08-2004 | 07:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

Read the forums for any car. You'll never buy another new car in your life. They all have problems. And in this day of forums, the problems all get posted.
Old 04-08-2004 | 07:19 PM
Intermediate

It does have problems

If I were you, I would wait. Your Maxima is fine. Let the 2005 cars come out and monitor the board to see if those problems are still there, if it is good, then buy one. I am still having vibration issues with my TL.
Old 04-08-2004 | 07:36 PM
Racer

You know, whenever I read worry/complaint posts like this I just have to laugh. As a former Ford owner, I can tell you that my TL is orders of magnitude less problematic than the Fords I have owned. If you want to be "scared as hell," check out a Ford message forum.
Old 04-08-2004 | 08:06 PM
Senior Moderator

cypwood1,

I agree with you that buying a first-year model car is a gamble. I have purchased six Honda products and felt that this experience allowed me to decide positively in favor of Acura's new TL. I took a gamble and think that I represent the majority of new TL owners who are satisfied with their cars; my car is not perfect, but it is pretty darned close. As others have stated, forums like this attract people who want to have issues or problems solved. You therefore see a lot of problem threads. Don't take them as major problems.

As a reference to a "typical" satisfied owner, I offer my recent six month evaluation of the new TL LINK.

I have a list of most of the reviews, positive and negative, of the new TL since October, LINK.

I wish you the best of luck with your decision, and I hope to see you back.
Old 04-09-2004 | 12:40 AM
Racer

OEM's make mistakes...PERIOD. Its how the OEM HANDLES the mistakes/problems that makes all the difference! Hasn't Acura stood up to the plate by accepting fault and giving replacement tires to customers!?!? If you arent going to buy a car because you don't like the tires, then don't buy it. No amount of common sense on this planet will convince you to do otherwise. :ar15:

And BTW, "ELECTRICAL PROBLEMS" is such a common myth and/or stigma attached to BMWs. It isn't "ELECTRICAL PROBLEMS" anymore..its software/firmware issues. Adapt to the time bro...cuz they are a passing you by! Good luck in your quest for a trouble-free/problem-free car, they don't exist. AND...if someone tells you their car is, they are LYING!

Originally Posted by BarryH
I love the references to "if you think this is bad, check out a BMW forum". Assuming BMW has it's own share of challenges, why would that exempt Acura from addressing some of the detail type complaints raised here? Because BMW might have electrical problems shouldn't allow Acura to be left off the hook or held to a lower standard for using two sided tape to hold up the headliner. And the tire issue is Acura's fault. They should have done ample testing in all weather conditions before making the decision on what to source on the TL. If they "selected" a sub-standard tire it's by their own decision making process.
Old 04-09-2004 | 04:52 AM
Instructor

i had a 2002 tl-s and the new 2004 tl. My son had a 2002 tl-s and has a 2003 tl-s(wrecked his 02). we have had no problems with these cars. I have never seen a website with so many whiners and complainers. these folks are real nitpicky and take great joy in finding any imperfections they can. They are the kind of folk who would demand a bacteria count on the milk of human kindness and I would hate to be their employers. They would complain if you hung them with new rope. Buy a new tl and you won't regret it. My daughter had a 95 maxima and it was a great car. The acura is far better and I will never own another car without zenon lights, navigtion or xm radio. I still haven't purchased a bluetooth phone yet. but I am sure I will enjoy that hf aspect that the tl has. Go for it.
Old 04-09-2004 | 06:19 AM
Instructor

Thanks for your opinion. It looks like I will be ordering a 2005" TL. I just hope that Acura will correct the 2004' issues. ( which are important to me. I keep a car for about 10 years ) At 52 my eyes need more light. The zenon lights are a must !

Sincerely,
Cypwood
Old 04-09-2004 | 06:30 AM
Instructor

Wink

Originally Posted by fuque
You know, whenever I read worry/complaint posts like this I just have to laugh. As a former Ford owner, I can tell you that my TL is orders of magnitude less problematic than the Fords I have owned. If you want to be "scared as hell," check out a Ford message forum.

I'll need a pacemaker, if I read the Ford Message forum !
Thanks for your VALUED opinion.

Cypwood
Old 04-09-2004 | 06:36 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by MarkItZero
If I were you, I would wait. Your Maxima is fine. Let the 2005 cars come out and monitor the board to see if those problems are still there, if it is good, then buy one. I am still having vibration issues with my TL.
Mark, that's exactly what I am going to do. I just hope Acura has been listening to the
2004' issues. Can they make these changes ( tires, leather, etc. ) by the 2005' model year ?

Thanks, Cypwood
Old 04-09-2004 | 06:40 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by neuronbob
cypwood1,

I agree with you that buying a first-year model car is a gamble. I have purchased six Honda products and felt that this experience allowed me to decide positively in favor of Acura's new TL. I took a gamble and think that I represent the majority of new TL owners who are satisfied with their cars; my car is not perfect, but it is pretty darned close. As others have stated, forums like this attract people who want to have issues or problems solved. You therefore see a lot of problem threads. Don't take them as major problems.

As a reference to a "typical" satisfied owner, I offer my recent six month evaluation of the new TL LINK.

I have a list of most of the reviews, positive and negative, of the new TL since October, LINK.

I wish you the best of luck with your decision, and I hope to see you back.
Thanks Bob ! I value your opinion.

Cypwood
Old 04-09-2004 | 06:42 AM
Instructor

Mark, that's exactly what I am going to do. I just hope Acura has been listening to the
2004' issues. Can they make these changes ( tires, leather, etc. ) by the 2005' model year ?

Thanks, Cypwood
Old 04-09-2004 | 06:43 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by jjsC5
Read the forums for any car. You'll never buy another new car in your life. They all have problems. And in this day of forums, the problems all get posted.
Thanks JJ,
Cypwood
Old 04-09-2004 | 06:45 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by jtruman
The truth is I have experienced a few of the common problems people raise on this forum.

BUT if I had to do it again, I would buy the car in a heatbeat. Go to the dealer and drive it for yourself, I think you'll fall in love with it as well.

As many people on this forum had said, there will never be a perfect car... there will always be something.
Thank you for responding !

Cypwood
Old 04-09-2004 | 06:49 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by BarryH
Barry, what gets me, Honda puts a better tire (Michelen ) on the Accord. Don't make sense to me !

Cypwood
Old 04-09-2004 | 06:58 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by derscott
Well, it's up to you, but those O2 sensors cost about $200 each to replace. I don't think your Max will have ANY problems making it another 40K miles. In fact, I believe my own Max will probably be solid to about 190K. Tranny and engine still seem to be perfect (although the car is not as peppy as it once was, but still pretty good for a 10year old car). My car has so many miles that is now nearly worthless for a trade in, which is why we will keep it (it's worth more to us than anyone else).

derscott
Thanks so much for your imput ! It's rarely that I touch base with another 95' Max owner.

Sincerly,
Cypwood