Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I take doubt to ask......

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2005, 10:01 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking I take doubt to ask......

I know you guys are really enthusiastic about the TL. I also think the TL is an overall very nice and fun car.

But, I take doubt to ask, do you guys think that, for the TL being a FWD car to pursue supreme handling capabilities, it sacrifices too much of the ride comfort?

I ask this because the TL has to use low profile tires and stiff suspension to achieve its design goals. And the stiffness is the father of two sons: rattle and squeak. But for the RWD cars like G35 and M35/45, they don't necessarily need to do this. ( Although the M still has low profile tires.) The ride of those infinitis are nowhere near the bumpiness of TL.

It seems only RWD provide the combo of handling and comfort?
Old 03-10-2005, 10:12 AM
Racer

The ride on the TL is strange IMHO. When you drive it, it feels like it's a rough ride, but yet, you always seem to be doing 20 mph over the limit because it just doesn't feel like you're going that fast. Doesn't make sense.

Also, drive in the curb lane when there's a hump at an intersection and watch the springs oscilate for an hour. Yet, hit a seam in the pavement and it feels like you're driving a tightly sprung race car.

Very strange indeed. I know it doesn't really answer your question, but I think the ride quality is hard to define.
Old 03-10-2005, 10:18 AM
Intermediate

The FWD for sure takes away from the TL overall. Almost all reviews have knocked the fact that the TL needs a AWD or a RWD to sustain market place. It has been doing just fine IMO. The numbers also show it.

I think my 03 TL-S was a little better as far as suspension. Was a stiffer ride or at least felt like it. The 04 feels more like a Buick.
Old 03-10-2005, 10:21 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
well when acura got rid of the S they changed the suspension somewhat... The car and driver write up for the 04 comparison talks of the suspension and how acura went for middle of the road more or less and even though it is a decent suspenion, it is what they dinged the car for.

If you recall there were different suspension in the S vs non S models.
Old 03-10-2005, 09:17 PM
Advanced

I understand the importance of RWD for handling, and competing in the tl's "class" ie, 3/5 series/g35...but how about the fact that some ppl can't afford to get a RWD? I don't mean, in terms of money...For example, I was gettin a G35 for 29,500...didn't get it because RWD will not cut it in the snow...now sure infiniti people would tell me to get the X, which will be more expensive that a similarly equipped TL....

Some ppl NEED fwd.
Old 03-10-2005, 09:37 PM
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts
AWD is such a brag factor.. If you live up north it's another story. But for the majority of drivers it's a non-issue. Most of the AWD cars perform poorly
compared to their 2WD kin in quarter mile, maintenance and fuel economy, not
to boot they cost more to initially purchase. Which would explain why you
see so few 330 and G35 AWD vehicles on the road.

It would be nice to have the choice, but if AWD would have been available on
the TL, I would still have gone with the FWD version. If drag racing was my
focus, I would have gone a different route entirely.

FWD isn't all bad, I find it more stable in inclement conditions. I also think it is
funny to see those people who think they know how to drive, who have
always driven FWD cars, and then they get a high horsepower RWD car, only
to find out they didn't know as much as they thought they did about driving,
after they go spinning out of control off the road.

RWD is great for autocross and driving in that extreme style that most of us
never drive, or shouldn't be driving. The TL does what it does very well.
I find no fought with it not being RWD. If it was real RWD, I'm sure the
magazines would only find something else to harp on.
Old 03-10-2005, 09:55 PM
Instructor

ok
Old 03-10-2005, 10:02 PM
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
i find it strange that TL seems less stable on the small bumps than my old 92 accord
i've never had to "fight" the steering before
every time the pavement is rough (and not just big bumps but small cracks) it feels like the car wants to get the hell of the "bad" road
at the same time it's much more stable at high speeds on smooth roads than my old accord ever was

so i agree with midas69 - very strange

RWD wasn't even on my list to shop for
i see a few of those over the curb every time it snows around here
if there was an AWD TL available i would have taken it over FWD even at a slightly higher price
Old 03-10-2005, 10:05 PM
05 TL NBP Navi

Yo ya all. I'm kinda getting tired of the inferiority complex regarding Fwd. All cars are compromises. I would love a lambo, but its hard to take 5 people skiing in it. All things being equal, Fwd has advantages in weight, cost, and space. Even though this is my first Fwd, it didn’t take long to get use to. I miss power oversteer, but don’t miss merging backwards at over 100, onto the 11 from the 10 in LA in my friends 911, (yes don’t let up to fast on the gas if you come in to hot). If you stand on the gas you run out of road pretty quickly. The interior is spacious without the transmission tunnel right on your elbow. Gas mileage is great and what goodies would you give up to get a little better jump off the line or use a little bit more gas exiting a turn. I don’t think that Acura in an effort “to pursue supreme handling capabilities, it sacrifices too much of the ride comfort?” The ride is quite plush without feeling loose. There are lots of cars I’ve had with higher performance than the tl, but honestly if they were all in the garage I’d have to say I’d take the tl out the most. That’s why I bought it.
Old 03-11-2005, 10:55 AM
Racer

Alright, guys, lets make it simple.

LEts just compare the ride comfort of TL and G35, which one do you think soaks up the road inperfections better?
Old 03-11-2005, 11:05 AM
EZZ
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gainful

LEts just compare the ride comfort of TL and G35, which one do you think soaks up the road inperfections better?
I don't think the G35 has the best suspension tuning for bumps. One of the best cars that has a great compromise is the IS300. That thing takes bumps and you can't feel much at all. Its also a wonderful handling car. Lexus really got that suspension tuning right.
Old 03-11-2005, 11:46 AM
2004 TL w/ 6MT & Navi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by midas69
The ride on the TL is strange IMHO. When you drive it, it feels like it's a rough ride, but yet, you always seem to be doing 20 mph over the limit because it just doesn't feel like you're going that fast. Doesn't make sense.

Also, drive in the curb lane when there's a hump at an intersection and watch the springs oscilate for an hour. Yet, hit a seam in the pavement and it feels like you're driving a tightly sprung race car.

Very strange indeed. I know it doesn't really answer your question, but I think the ride quality is hard to define.
I totally agree.
Old 03-11-2005, 11:51 AM
2004 TL w/ 6MT & Navi

Originally Posted by wakattack
I also think it is
funny to see those people who think they know how to drive, who have
always driven FWD cars, and then they get a high horsepower RWD car, only
to find out they didn't know as much as they thought they did about driving,
after they go spinning out of control off the road.
That sh!t totally cracks me up too! I would take a RWD or AWD over FWD any day...but I live in Texas where snow isn't really a factor.
Old 03-11-2005, 11:54 AM
2004 TL w/ 6MT & Navi

Originally Posted by gainful

Lexus suspensions are very nice. The G35 is okay, but I'm not one for a stiff suspension that's really meant for the track versus daily driving.
Old 03-12-2005, 06:18 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by DevTL
Yo ya all. I'm kinda getting tired of the inferiority complex regarding Fwd. All cars are compromises. I would love a lambo, but its hard to take 5 people skiing in it. All things being equal, Fwd has advantages in weight, cost, and space. Even though this is my first Fwd, it didn’t take long to get use to. I miss power oversteer, but don’t miss merging backwards at over 100, onto the 11 from the 10 in LA in my friends 911, (yes don’t let up to fast on the gas if you come in to hot). If you stand on the gas you run out of road pretty quickly. The interior is spacious without the transmission tunnel right on your elbow. Gas mileage is great and what goodies would you give up to get a little better jump off the line or use a little bit more gas exiting a turn. I don’t think that Acura in an effort “to pursue supreme handling capabilities, it sacrifices too much of the ride comfort?” The ride is quite plush without feeling loose. There are lots of cars I’ve had with higher performance than the tl, but honestly if they were all in the garage I’d have to say I’d take the tl out the most. That’s why I bought it.
Money.