3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I paid $6,000 for a Transmission Swap from Paul. Here’s my story (NOT a happy ending)

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 01:52 PM
-------Tim-------

Received 610 Likes on 514 Posts
Gosh! This is what I would be so worried about! I am So Sorry that you had to deal with this Frosty! I have read good things about Paul, but that doesn't say much. I hope you can recoup some of the money invested into this!

Lawyer sounds like the legit way to go with this! Am sure some "lawyer" members can chime in on what the next action should be. Am very Happy that you kept good records/documentation of all of this. It will make it a lot easier......
Old 10-06-2014, 01:56 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
Originally Posted by nfnsquared
Wow, what a scum bag. Time for arm chair quarterbacking if you don't mind. I'm sure you've already kicked yourself a thousand times, but here are some things to consider before jumping into a business (and in Paul's case, I use that term very loosely) deal.

He was running a business from his home. Is that allowed?

What type of business is he running? Is he LLC, sole proprietor?

Does he have the appropriate business/contractor license (if required)?

Does he have a tax id #?

Did he charge you for tax on the parts (this is required in most states)?

Did he have liability and errors & omissions insurance? Did you ask to see a certificate?

You may have several courses of action by referring your case to both state and federal agencies. I'm sure there are some agencies that would like to know if he is reporting his income and paying for the appropriate license/s and collecting taxes for the governor...
I hesitate to call Paul a scumbag or any other derogatory name. While the OP is detailed it is hard to seriously pass judgement without further investigation. We as a community (az) should not forget the we as a society (Americans) have decided long ago that a person is innocent until proven guilty. Without a trial or court hearing, it's not right for anyone to pass judgement. The OP was expressing his experience. If that influences your future plans, so be it. But let's not light torches.

The answers to most the inquiries here are "no" or "none." At the end of the day this was a handshake deal. He probably is not doing enough jobs like this to really constitute "income." Ultimately, the problem here is that he decided to use a transmission that was damaged (probably needed to be cut from the car it was salvaged from) and when that decision backfired he decided not to be generous with the money he earned to own up to it. A real business doesn't even get into the finger-pointing game. It just doesn't make sense.

A business needs to set aside part of its income to account for fuck ups like this. We have to do it all them time. Customer claims something wasn't in the box but should have been, part has a break or crack after having been used for a while, want to return a part that isn't fitting right...etc. As much as we can make claims that we are not liable for these issues (in many cases we are not), we are liable for that customer's happiness and we do what we can to make things right for the customer in the end. The business has to have policies and funds in place to take care of these issues (hence why some stores are more expensive to buy from than people who are acting as businesses...they have no investment in your long-term happiness). If they don't, then they will at some point end up with unhappy customers, and given enough unhappy customers you'll be out of business.

I'll stick to "you didn't do business" with Paul. You paid him to do a job. I assume the details of what were going to be done we not documented, nor was the sale (invoice provided), nor was any guarantee or warranty discussed.
The following 15 users liked this post by MrHeeltoe:
96SC4 (10-07-2014), Acura_Dude (10-07-2014), bigballer8526 (10-06-2014), civicdrivr (10-06-2014), Corey_Straker (10-07-2014), EvilVirus (10-06-2014), jhumbo (10-13-2014), MySoCalLife (10-11-2014), NBP04TL4ME (10-06-2014), paperboy42190 (10-07-2014), rockyfeller (10-15-2014), rossv1 (10-06-2014), Sonnick (10-06-2014), Tl4eva (10-11-2014), TylerT (10-06-2014) and 10 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-06-2014, 02:00 PM
Safety Car

Received 619 Likes on 459 Posts
lets wait for Paul to chime in before we throw him completely under the bus.
The following users liked this post:
civicdrivr (10-06-2014)
Old 10-06-2014, 02:16 PM
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
a google search reveals some other disturbing things...jeez
Old 10-06-2014, 02:58 PM
BANNED

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts
My side for what it is worth.....

The transmission was purchased with cash from a yard I have dealt with many times and as many have said it is a direct drop and so was installed without seeing where the side mount was reworked. Although not mentioned by the yard the mount was probably broken off in the accident that totaled the donor vehicle and "fixed" by them.The starter is from a Accord but the trans is from a TL, the Accord and TL MT share the same starter.

With all of the TL 6spd swaps I have done no one had ever told me that they had lost any functionality before this so was surprised when he told me and worked with him, even giving him access to my AllData account to correct the issues.

I went back and forth with him about the rear lip, I did not see the damage nor did I hit anything with his car. I repeatedly asked him if there was ANY scuffing or other signs of impact or abrasion in the area to which he replied no. I still personally believe it is a factory paint defect but to get him to stop the constant phone calls and text I gave him the money for a new one.

The heater hose was the original one on the car from the factory, the car did not leak before leaving my hands, crappy luck, but still it was a original part and probably just managed to hit its life.

The clutch was definitely a new part and was infact my shelf stock part as I usually keep one on hand along with a release bearing. I would not be surprised if Luke's lack of stick driving experience has not lead to the early demise of the clutch. It took him 4 tries to even leave my house without stalling the car.

As far as having receipts and paperwork, I recently had to and am still in process of moving due to a death in my family and have not come across the box containing the receipts in question.

Net-net I just sent him another $3K for his troubles with the transmission.
Old 10-06-2014, 03:02 PM
All motor

Received 532 Likes on 395 Posts
Sorry to hear about this, man. I second mzilvar....I spotted the "Accord" on the trans as well, which would mean the trans is NOT LSD. Not sure how to check once it's on the car, but if you do indeed take it off, you can tell by looking through where the axles are mounted and if you cannot see through, it's not LSD. If you can see through to the other side, than you have the LSD trans. Let us know of any updates and I wish you luck....

Obviously didn't see Paul's response before I posted the above about the LSD...

Last edited by Sonnick; 10-06-2014 at 03:05 PM.
Old 10-06-2014, 03:07 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
Thanks for your side, Paul.
Kelvin Williams (09-17-2021)
Old 10-06-2014, 03:29 PM
MAS
Three Wheelin'

Received 327 Likes on 261 Posts
wow, this whole thing sucks all around.

I gotta admit i probably would have never had this done. I believe you should never get a mod you couldn't do or undo yourself (at least with some help). There are plenty of guys on here like me that like modding their cars but they aren't true mechanics (just novice DIY guys). So there are many "deep" mods i would never do. I put the S/C on my car but only after reading up on it for months and actually doing the install myself.

Keep mods close to your level of knowledge and if you couldn't handle it with some help don't do it. Oh and don't take some internet guy's word as gold.

In the end the OP made a good move writing this detailed thread and Paul made a decent move returning a significant amount of money.

Lesson learned (sometimes very expensive ones). Good luck.
The following 4 users liked this post by MAS:
Acura_Dude (10-07-2014), DarkTower19 (10-07-2014), rockyfeller (10-15-2014), WishaninjaWood (10-12-2014)
Old 10-06-2014, 04:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 850 Likes on 673 Posts
Damn, I feel so sorry for you Luke. Like others have said, at least talk to a lawyer. You've documented your troubles pretty well also so that should help you quite a bit.
Old 10-06-2014, 06:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 281 Likes on 190 Posts
Originally Posted by NVA-AV6

The transmission was purchased with cash from a yard I have dealt with many times and as many have said it is a direct drop and so was installed without seeing where the side mount was reworked. Although not mentioned by the yard the mount was probably broken off in the accident that totaled the donor vehicle and "fixed" by them.The starter is from a Accord but the trans is from a TL, the Accord and TL MT share the same starter.

With all of the TL 6spd swaps I have done no one had ever told me that they had lost any functionality before this so was surprised when he told me and worked with him, even giving him access to my AllData account to correct the issues.

I went back and forth with him about the rear lip, I did not see the damage nor did I hit anything with his car. I repeatedly asked him if there was ANY scuffing or other signs of impact or abrasion in the area to which he replied no. I still personally believe it is a factory paint defect but to get him to stop the constant phone calls and text I gave him the money for a new one.

The heater hose was the original one on the car from the factory, the car did not leak before leaving my hands, crappy luck, but still it was a original part and probably just managed to hit its life.

The clutch was definitely a new part and was infact my shelf stock part as I usually keep one on hand along with a release bearing. I would not be surprised if Luke's lack of stick driving experience has not lead to the early demise of the clutch. It took him 4 tries to even leave my house without stalling the car.

As far as having receipts and paperwork, I recently had to and am still in process of moving due to a death in my family and have not come across the box containing the receipts in question.

As many swaps as you've done, yet you didn't look closely at a transmission that came from a wrecked car? Seems unlikely, but, eh. Regardless, if you did NOT notice it, I question your inspection skills or experience with these cars. Since we know that is an unlikely case, it only leaves the alternative...

When you state that no one has ever lost functionality in any other swaps, does that mean that you DID wire up everything, and it DID work, and when he got it home nothing worked? Or rather, you never bothered to check anything, and hence it must work? Perhaps Frosty can elaborate what he had to do to correct any of the wiring to ensure everything functioned. Was it modifications to your mods, or wiring changes that were NOT made, that needed to be.

I'll give you the one on the paint, but damn - that car looked like butt when you gave it back to him. I'm assuming he didn't drop it off in that condition - do you live in a mud bog? Perhaps a bit of caring for the possessions of the customer would reduce suspicion if nothing else.

Heater hose- been there done that. It happens. No harm no foul.

I'd say its unlikely he killed the clutch learning to drive the car. It probably as he intimated - fluid. Regardless, he'll be able to inspect the clutch when he pulls the transmission to replace the case. Let's hope he posts his findings.

While I wouldn't say you are to be commended for refunding him the amount, as it is the proper thing to do - I question your ultimate motive. Would you have done so if he had gone quietly into the night, and not made it known in a public forum?

If nothing else, perhaps the lessons learned here could be enhancing your inspection of used components. This could have been avoided by identifying it, and either returning the transmission for a different one, even purchasing a new case for $230 as he said.

On a related note - I've never bought anything from a salvage yard that didn't come with at least a 30 or 60 day warranty, UNLESS there is physical damage of some sort. Perhaps you have recourse with the yard you used? I notice you did not address his assertion that the yard had no knowledge of the transmission and did not have the same stock number. Convenient that you payed cash. Not many business do that. I take that back - I've used petty cash when buying a pizza, but not a couple thousand dollar transmission.
The following 12 users liked this post by screaminz28:
Acura-OC (10-07-2014), Acura_Dude (10-07-2014), BukvaMan (10-06-2014), Chisel (10-07-2014), Corey_Straker (10-07-2014), Damin1123 (10-09-2014), Gen7Milan (10-07-2014), STL acura (11-24-2014), Undying Dreams (10-07-2014), Vlad_Type_S (10-07-2014), Wallyjee101 (10-07-2014), WishaninjaWood (10-12-2014) and 7 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-06-2014, 06:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 319 Likes on 228 Posts
What a mess of a situation. I'd be pretty upset too if I were in your shoes Frosty.

I'm glad Paul chimed in on his side, though that still doesn't excuse his actions of ignoring Frosty until he was contacted by him with a new number. Even if you'd refunded him $3000 or more, that's just poor people skills and trying to sweep whatever problems under a rug, so to speak.

I hope this issue gets resolved, but it probably could've been avoided altogether with more careful inspection of parts by Paul. Would think someone who's done so many swaps before would be a bit more meticulous in their work, especially when it's something major as this.
Old 10-06-2014, 09:26 PM
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 89 Posts
Seeing these kinds of experiences with crooked mechanics, I feel more assured that I chose to pony up the money for the Acuracare extended warranty. Dealership or stealership, at least they have to stand behind their work for at least 10k miles. I realize that the original poster has a 3G TL, all of which are out of warranty due to age, but I'm primarily expressing the principle.

I'd rather pay $7.5k to a dealership for a transmission swap done right, than a crook $3k hoping to score that one in a million bargain of a lifetime. But, then again, isn't this precisely the reason that companies like Walmart and the Dollar Store thrive in this country?
Corey_Straker (10-07-2014)
Old 10-06-2014, 10:55 PM
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts
And this is why I work on my own car, and if I can't do it, fuk it then it won't be done. Seen too many horror stories from shady mechanics to ever trust em. Feel bad for you OP, hope he did send you that 3k like he said...
Old 10-07-2014, 01:21 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Paul... damn you man, come here and respond. I'd like to hear your side of story if you still care for your business/reputation. I guess you're done a** ho**
Old 10-07-2014, 01:29 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 930 Likes on 612 Posts
Originally Posted by tranm2001
Hi Paul... damn you man, come here and respond. I'd like to hear your side of story if you still care for your business/reputation. I guess you're done a** ho**

Tranm2001 meet Paul. Paul meet tranm2001.
The following 5 users liked this post by anx1300c:
96SC4 (10-07-2014), Acura_Dude (10-07-2014), Corey_Straker (10-07-2014), InFaMouSLink (10-08-2014), YeuEmMaiMai (10-08-2014)
Old 10-07-2014, 04:38 AM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,117 Posts
He already shot his load.
WishaninjaWood (10-12-2014)
Old 10-07-2014, 06:15 AM
BANNED

Originally Posted by screaminz28
While I wouldn't say you are to be commended for refunding him the amount, as it is the proper thing to do - I question your ultimate motive. Would you have done so if he had gone quietly into the night, and not made it known in a public forum?
The issue here is the OP, last I had heard from him he was going to take it to a local shop to get it repaired so I was waiting for the shops quote to work with. In my phone dealings I would ask him "what do you want to do?", IE how do you want to deal with the repairs that were needed, instead of giving a response that could be worked with he would just continue to complain (like my soon to be ex wife) without working towards a real solution.
Old 10-07-2014, 06:38 AM
BANNED

Also the starter came from a different yard, again due to the number of swaps I do I will do a car-part search find a yard with 3 or 4 of them and work a deal to buy all of them and keep them in stock, more than likely that startere had been on my shelf for a couple months and came from Hydepark in NY.
Old 10-07-2014, 07:17 AM
Registered Bike Offender

Received 843 Likes on 625 Posts
^ Your use of personal circumstances isn't helping your credibility, dude. And it's not your customer's responsibility to correct your work.
The following 10 users liked this post by Vlad_Type_S:
07typesjb (10-07-2014), Acura-OC (10-07-2014), Acura_Dude (10-07-2014), Corey_Straker (10-07-2014), corrado85 (10-07-2014), Damin1123 (10-09-2014), DementiaPhuro (10-07-2014), rockyfeller (10-15-2014), rossv1 (10-07-2014), Undying Dreams (10-07-2014) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-07-2014, 08:23 AM
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
The issue here is the OP, last I had heard from him he was going to take it to a local shop to get it repaired so I was waiting for the shops quote to work with. In my phone dealings I would ask him "what do you want to do?", IE how do you want to deal with the repairs that were needed, instead of giving a response that could be worked with he would just continue to complain (like my soon to be ex wife) without working towards a real solution.
If he was your customer shouldn't you provide the solution? Probably should've just bought the $230 tranny case and you could have avoided getting called out for your poor decision making skills.
The following 4 users liked this post by TheBlueBomber:
Acura-OC (10-07-2014), Acura_Dude (10-07-2014), DementiaPhuro (10-07-2014), Undying Dreams (10-07-2014)
Old 10-07-2014, 08:33 AM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,117 Posts
It's kind of like HHgregg selling me a surround sound receiver, and then when it doesn't work when I get it home, they tell me the source of the parts and for me to fix it on my own.
WishaninjaWood (10-12-2014)
Old 10-07-2014, 08:48 AM
Race Director

Received 3,824 Likes on 2,847 Posts
Good Lord. What a story indeed. Sorry to read that, Frosty.

I just want to say thanks for sharing your experience and thank you for constructing a highly detailed and well thought out post.

I hope you get the trans back to normal operations soon with minimal headache. Good luck.
Old 10-07-2014, 08:52 AM
lowrd on tein CS biatch

Received 138 Likes on 124 Posts
My god... I was going to go to work at 9 but then I stubbled across this. By far the most compelling story I have read on acurazine.

As everyone has already expressed we feel for you and your car. It's really unfortunate that it happened to someone like yourself who did I their due diligence prior. I have never felt worse for someone on this forum either. But I must give you PROPS for your thorough documentation and not letting the situation fade away. You were persistent and found so many little details that I probably never even would have found. And for that I commend what you've done. (It will also be your saving grace in court)

I am sure this story will save copius others from the same sort of fate with av6. Even if he has done 1000 jobs well. To do anything that butchered is inexcusable. Period

This goes to show what type of people are actually out there. It's just sad.

Best of luck OP, you definitely left a mark with this story.

Ps it seems like the transmission cracks came from the original vehicle as u said via your researching you found it was in a frontal collision with a barrier...

Last edited by CL-S progression 01; 10-07-2014 at 08:54 AM.
Old 10-07-2014, 09:01 AM
Lone Wolf

Received 498 Likes on 399 Posts
Sorry to hear this. I wouldn't say only do work that you yourself can perform. You get what you pay for usually, and going to a backyard mechanic to save money isn't very wise.

I am getting a custom header/exhaust, a cage, and a tranny rebuild from King Motorsports. I know I can trust a shop like that. I can't really build my own cage in my garage.
Old 10-07-2014, 09:10 AM
Registered Bike Offender

Received 843 Likes on 625 Posts
I'm utterly dumbfounded by the insolence and arrogance of the response.

Edit: OP, best of luck in getting this resolved swiftly and justly. You've set a great example to all of us of how to handle any matters with our cars. Even though Paul may have stripped you of some money, don't let him strip your integrity or dignity using these desultory deception tactics.

Last edited by Vlad_Type_S; 10-07-2014 at 09:22 AM.
Old 10-07-2014, 10:08 AM
shifting at 7k

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
This has been a super compelling read and I feel for the OP but I don't think its fair to keep throwing Paul under the bus like that. He's a pioneer in the J-Series game and has done a lot for the community. Everyone has done some f*** ups in their life and lacked accountability to own up to it right away. The fact of the matter is, this is far from a simple job and you'd be hard-pressed to find a shop even capable of performing this swap. Paul butchered the job, like almost every mechanic has done at one point or another.. and he owned up to it by reimbursing the OP with half the cost. Most of the work is done, it's possible OP may need a new clutch and transmission casing now.. but what's done is done. Hopefully the OP can get the job finished right and be able to enjoy his new 6MT TL.
Old 10-07-2014, 10:16 AM
shifting at 7k

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
If I had a 5AT and it crapped out on me, I would have personally never gone down this route. Would have been better off just swapping in a used tranny for cheap, part out the car and sell it stock and find a TL that came with 6MT from factory. Instead you're out 6k with a car that's probably worth less now, and a whole lot of downtime and headache.
Old 10-07-2014, 11:06 AM
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
This story made me sick. Sounds more like a craigslist type ordeal than something that would happen through a car forum. Either way, sorry about all this, hope you get it figured out.
Old 10-07-2014, 11:12 AM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow... just wow. I was going to take my lunch break an hour ago but I couldn't stop reading...

Paul, I'm glad you responded telling us your side. I have to say though ignoring OPs calls and texts like that... that's just cold man. I understand you were probably annoyed at that point but that's just not right bro... In any case, I'm glad to see you've returned some of his investment, cuz this guy sure as hell deserved it.

OP, 'tis a shit situation for you and I sincerely hope you find resolution in all this. Thanks for your detailed post and all the best... from Canada. Eh. <3
Old 10-07-2014, 11:47 AM
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 53 Posts
I'm not buying into this BS. Paul actually admitted to installing the Trans after noting it had a few issues, why didn't you first call him to let him know there were issues BEFORE putting it in? And ask him if he wanted you to proceed with installing it or get another? You simply installed it without telling him & hoped nothing would happen. Only NOW are you offering to resolve it all.
The following 8 users liked this post by TVL65:
Acura-OC (10-07-2014), Acura_Dude (10-07-2014), Corey_Straker (10-07-2014), Damin1123 (10-09-2014), DementiaPhuro (10-07-2014), dezymond (10-08-2014), jhumbo (10-13-2014), rockyfeller (10-15-2014) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-07-2014, 12:44 PM
10th Gear

Hey Paul,what a lame response.I wouldn't let you change the oil in my car!
Old 10-07-2014, 12:53 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Paul replaced a Clutch and flywheel on my 08 TL Type S and he did a great job and did it really fast. No complaints from Paul on my side, it's just a unfortunate thing that happened.
Old 10-07-2014, 01:53 PM

Received 1,162 Likes on 847 Posts
it's amazing how many ppl cant tell the difference between a starter and a transmission. the "accord" letters are clearly written on the starter, not transmission.

At this point, there's not much you can do except have him refund you some money for the messed up job and wasted time. If he's really sending you $3k that's enough for you to get a new transmission and swap it in(should be a direct swap now).

As for ppl who are saying things about licenses/taxes/etc, this is evidently a friendly agreement with no contract. Not sure how far you can get in court without any paperwork(Im assuming everything was done in cash?).
Old 10-07-2014, 03:32 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by paperboy42190
it's amazing how many ppl cant tell the difference between a starter and a transmission. the "accord" letters are clearly written on the starter, not transmission.

At this point, there's not much you can do except have him refund you some money for the messed up job and wasted time. If he's really sending you $3k that's enough for you to get a new transmission and swap it in(should be a direct swap now).

As for ppl who are saying things about licenses/taxes/etc, this is evidently a friendly agreement with no contract. Not sure how far you can get in court without any paperwork(Im assuming everything was done in cash?).
Paypal
Old 10-07-2014, 03:36 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,843 Likes on 8,574 Posts
Nice writeup. How come this kid has his shit together and 99% of TL owners don't.

Sell the car kid, get something more worthy of your time and personality. Very unfortunate to say the least. At least your car isn't parted out and out-of-pocket for 2 years awaiting a turbo build.
The following 2 users liked this post by Majofo:
Acura_Dude (10-07-2014), InFaMouSLink (10-08-2014)
Old 10-07-2014, 04:10 PM
2nd Gear

I'm glad that he decided to refund 3k to the kid. But I'm still very upset that,
1. He let the kid went frustrated by not answering phone/text until the kid faked his phone #
2. He didn't step up until the kid brought situation with many details/findings.
3. He should have told the kid to bring car back for him (or drive to the kid house, 2 hrs driving) to fix memory seat, mirror, reverse lights issue instead of let the kid digging into the diagram and doing it by himself.
4. He's been doing this type of job for many people, it's not acceptable for him to put on a tranny that cracked and there is sign of welder on it (assuming that he did not make this cut) as the case cost only few hundred dollars.
I hope he learnt this lesson and start rebuilding his reputation from now on by doing good job and consistently treat customer's cars like his own car.
Old 10-07-2014, 04:19 PM
lowrd on tein CS biatch

Received 138 Likes on 124 Posts
Azeezp13 Paul threw himself under the bus. Did u see the pictures? How many separate leaks OP had to deal with? That's downright being complacent and careless. If av6 is so highly praised then how does this just occur, does he have other people working for him as well? Who really knows

people have their fuck ups but they deal with them like men. That car had more than five serious issues that were left unaddressed before op set off on a massive drive back home. He could have gotten stuck in but fuck nowhere meanwhile Paul isn't giving two shit.

Sorry if I'm mad at this ordeal I got taken for my last motor rebuild on my previous car by my local mechanic shop, bill was over 2xs the quote and car was so fucked up it never did run right ever again after that.

And I still hold it against them those grimey lil f ers.

You don't see investment brokers accidentally lose all their clients money and then those clients give them more money to invest. So how someone could defend av6 after it's been documented he willingly neglected to do his job in several areas and aspects.... Is beyond me.

It takes years to build a reputation and seconds to destroy it. I think he forgot that.
The following 5 users liked this post by CL-S progression 01:
04WDPSeDaN (10-08-2014), Acura_Dude (10-07-2014), Corey_Straker (10-07-2014), DementiaPhuro (10-07-2014), kocyk123 (10-07-2014)
Old 10-07-2014, 04:58 PM
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by CL-S progression 01
Azeezp13 Paul threw himself under the bus. Did u see the pictures? How many separate leaks OP had to deal with? That's downright being complacent and careless. If av6 is so highly praised then how does this just occur, does he have other people working for him as well? Who really knows

people have their fuck ups but they deal with them like men. That car had more than five serious issues that were left unaddressed before op set off on a massive drive back home. He could have gotten stuck in but fuck nowhere meanwhile Paul isn't giving two shit.

Sorry if I'm mad at this ordeal I got taken for my last motor rebuild on my previous car by my local mechanic shop, bill was over 2xs the quote and car was so fucked up it never did run right ever again after that.

And I still hold it against them those grimey lil f ers.

You don't see investment brokers accidentally lose all their clients money and then those clients give them more money to invest. So how someone could defend av6 after it's been documented he willingly neglected to do his job in several areas and aspects.... Is beyond me.

It takes years to build a reputation and seconds to destroy it. I think he forgot that.
That is all I would say about that situation ^. And come on, is it really so expensive to wash the car off this whole shit it got on it? That is really disrespectful man...
Old 10-07-2014, 05:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 571 Likes on 304 Posts
I couldn't even finish reading the 2nd page without busting out laughing at the absurdity of the situation.

OP, I feel for you though and I hope you learned a valuable lesson. No matter what the dollars end up at by the end of this after repairs/whatever you get from Paul, you know better in the future.

I remember when I was doing my J35 build with King Motorsports, and a lot of people were telling me how I should just have Paul set me up with a bunch of stuff i.e. a frankensteined engine build because I'd be "running 400 hp then". I laughed to myself and said F that - I had already learned my lesson buying j32 heads from Gerzand that simply were not verifiable to what his shop told him. It wasn't Gerzand's fault, but the shop that did the machine work was worthless. That's just how it goes in the performance world, and this is no different.

as the saying goes - sometimes you flush and sometimes you bust

I spent a lot of money on the engine build for my car, but now that I sold it 5 months ago, the guy who bought it from me has put well over 10k miles on it, tracks it, drives it hard - and reports that it has been a stellar engine build for him. But that's what you get when you work with professionally reputable shops.

Again, I feel bad for you and I sincerely hope this all works out. What a shitshow. This is why I will never ever trust random dudes from internet forums that did a few things here and there for some people - they aren't professionals, aren't verifiable, don't have to prove anything, essentially hold 0 liability, and the list of potential pitfalls goes on and on.
The following 3 users liked this post by i_love_cars:
brian6speed (10-08-2014), eastcoastguy (10-08-2014), Sonnick (10-09-2014)
Old 10-07-2014, 06:20 PM
David_Dude

Received 581 Likes on 515 Posts
Sorry about your car, Frosty. That's rough. IDK about you guys, but that car was driven after everything was put together. There's no way there'd be that much mud/dirt on the sides of the car and aspec wheels just from sitting outside in the rain. I've driven a car on wet/muddy dirt roads before and and it looked the same way.

EDIT: After going back and looking at the pics again, the car had been drove. If it was just sitting in the yard, then why are the tires muddy? There shouldn't been any mud on the tires, especially at the top. The entire tire tread(s) are coated in mud. Plus if you look at another pic you can see where mud was slung up and outwards across the door/fender. As for the scrape on the Aspec lip, it definitely wasn't there when it left, Frosty's house (refer to pics). Maybe the tow truck guy damaged it unloading it, OR maybe Paul backed into something.

ALSO the car left OP's house extremely clean.

Last edited by Acura_Dude; 10-07-2014 at 06:27 PM.

Quick Reply: I paid $6,000 for a Transmission Swap from Paul. Here’s my story (NOT a happy ending)