Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I may be a dork but...

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2005, 10:32 AM
My dog thinks I'm Elvis!

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Talking I may be a dork but...

After owning my car for almost 2 years I discovered something this morning. I had thought the one touch front windows didn't give you an option of a partial roll down (which is useful when it's raining and you have to use a key card to enter a parking lot). Well this morning I discovered that with a light touch that doesn't result in the palpable click, the windows work like normal and allow partial roll downs and essentially work like normal windows. I guess I’ve been heavy or ham-handed and did not recognize this. Any body else out there have a similar experience?
Old 08-12-2005, 10:35 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
all one-touch windows are like that, i believe. If you push down slowly, you'll feel that there's a bit of resistance. Once you push past that resistance, is when it starts going all the way down automatically. But good find on your part
Old 08-12-2005, 11:25 AM
Administrator

Received 1,016 Likes on 577 Posts
And if you push too hard and it starts going up or down in the auto mode, another press on the button in the opposite direction will stop it.
Old 08-12-2005, 01:34 PM
Pro

133 views and 2 responses?

One time I sneezed and leaned on driver's side door pull and my elbow pressed the window lifts and the window came down quick. It was pouring that time and my interior got wet.
Old 08-12-2005, 11:39 PM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

Originally Posted by AcidHorse
133 views and 2 responses?

One time I sneezed and leaned on driver's side door pull and my elbow pressed the window lifts and the window came down quick. It was pouring that time and my interior got wet.
I'm just AMAZED the "self-proclaimed" dork took a year to figure this one out. As I am reading I am envisioning numerious raining nights where he accidently lowered his windows and then waited until they got all the way down before trying to roll them back up. Duh! yea, you CAN push them "partially down" to only roll them down a little. Still surprised he even posted this on this board. Just a minor flame to counter the rain coming in his windows...
Old 08-13-2005, 04:58 AM
Boondocks fanatic.....

Originally Posted by ndabunka
I'm just AMAZED the "self-proclaimed" dork took a year to figure this one out. As I am reading I am envisioning numerious raining nights where he accidently lowered his windows and then waited until they got all the way down before trying to roll them back up. Duh! yea, you CAN push them "partially down" to only roll them down a little. Still surprised he even posted this on this board. Just a minor flame to counter the rain coming in his windows...
I'm not too surprised at this. I went from a base civic (only option was the AC) to my TL and it took me a awhile to find out all of the features that the TL had. Hell, I was having too much fun just driving the damn car for the first two months!
Old 08-13-2005, 05:49 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Russdaddy
I'm not too surprised at this. I went from a base civic (only option was the AC) to my TL and it took me a awhile to find out all of the features that the TL had. Hell, I was having too much fun just driving the damn car for the first two months!

I know the feeling! I love my car! Can't stay out of her, even after a month and high gas prices!!!! Now that it's time to teach kiddies again, I will start learning some of the nuances of this beautiful machine....
Old 08-13-2005, 05:56 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SBTL
After owning my car for almost 2 years I discovered something this morning. I had thought the one touch front windows didn't give you an option of a partial roll down (which is useful when it's raining and you have to use a key card to enter a parking lot). Well this morning I discovered that with a light touch that doesn't result in the palpable click, the windows work like normal and allow partial roll downs and essentially work like normal windows. I guess I’ve been heavy or ham-handed and did not recognize this. Any body else out there have a similar experience?

Enjoy your car! It takes time to know what this car can really do. We were so tickled by the one-touch power windows that, yes, it took a minute to realize that we can also do partial roll downs and roll ups. U are not alone!
Old 08-14-2005, 08:25 PM
My dog thinks I'm Elvis!

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Talking I may be a dork but...

Originally Posted by ndabunka

Like I said,

I may be a dork but...

you're an a$$hole

Old 08-14-2005, 08:46 PM
HEK
Team Nighthawk Mambo King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lol....but really "he who reads the manual of their car the same day/ week they bought their car throw the 1st stone"....AMEN....I'm still playing with my bluetooth phone.... .." never said I read the manual did I?...
Old 08-15-2005, 08:00 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by HEK
lol....but really "he who reads the manual of their car the same day/ week they bought their car throw the 1st stone"....AMEN....I'm still playing with my bluetooth phone.... .." never said I read the manual did I?...
I borrowed a manual from my dealer when I ordered my TL and read it cover-to-cover twice before I took delivery of my car.

And 16 months and 4000 miles later, I am still finding new features on my car.

As to the voice commands? Every few weeks, I take out the plastic coated quick referrence and practice a few more.

Sometimes, especially when I am showing off, the voice command will (apparently) screw up. The last one was when I said "Display Italian Restaurants". It took a couple of times of random responses when I remembered that the correct phrase was "Find Italian Restaurants".

The voice command hardly ever screws up- but, OTOH, I do constantly.

I am always amazed by the "fuzzy logic" the voice command uses. There are many times when I use the wrong phrase but the system figures out what I meant to say and gets it right. That's spooky.
Old 08-15-2005, 10:07 AM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
The one that took me over a year to learn was to just press and hold the "command" button for the bluetooth to indate "call" or "yes". When the bluetooth asked me if I wanted to call a number I always spoke "yes" rather than holding the button and about 75 % of the time it didn't understand the word "yes".

I read the manual cover to cover many times and never did see it in the manual. Luckily someone put it in a comment on this board.
Old 08-15-2005, 11:45 AM
Burning Brakes

haha! Quite a funny thread
Old 08-15-2005, 07:42 PM
HEK
Team Nighthawk Mambo King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Xpditor
I borrowed a manual from my dealer when I ordered my TL and read it cover-to-cover twice before I took delivery of my car.

.. That's spooky.

Well you Sir should be my BOSS, he is also a Genius... , j/k actually I think there a few folks who take the time to do so...my hat goes off to you...
Old 08-15-2005, 07:56 PM
2004 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi/RSB

On my wife's Yukon, it is difficult to only roll the driver window down part-way. Instead of a second click to make it go down automatically, it does it after the button has been held more than about a half-second. If you want to roll it down halfway, you need to let it go auto and then interupt it with an "up." Stupid design.
Old 08-16-2005, 08:15 PM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by bluenoise
On my wife's Yukon, it is difficult to only roll the driver window down part-way. Instead of a second click to make it go down automatically, it does it after the button has been held more than about a half-second. If you want to roll it down halfway, you need to let it go auto and then interupt it with an "up." Stupid design.
Does the yukon use a rocker switch? (My pontiac does) If so, the rocker is probably worn out. I"ve seen similar things go whacky with steering wheel controls. You hit volume up, and it spirals to ear-shattering levels all by itself, because the rocker switch is so worn.

With my pontiac I don't have a problem with it rolling all the way down. I only have a problem with it not rolling down at all Stupid motor keeps going kaput.

While we're on the topic of windows. Does everyone's TL when you roll the windows up, feel like the window just slams shut? On mine, it always sounds like it slams the window into the frame, which results in a fairly loud thud. None of my other cars do that. I can't remember if our 03' TL did that too, or if it's just our 05'.
Old 08-16-2005, 08:51 PM
is learning to moonwalk i

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I knew this when I first got the car, but just realized a few weeks ago (after having the car for over a year) that the moon roof is also automatic

Also, once I accidentally hit the window lock switch - don't have kids, so don't really use it - and found that the driver's controls don't override the switch. In every other car I've been in before this one, the driver's controls would still work. I found out, because I used the key FOB to roll down the windows before getting in the car and tried to roll them up, but couldn't.
Old 08-16-2005, 09:54 PM
2004 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi/RSB

Originally Posted by avs007
Does the yukon use a rocker switch? (My pontiac does) If so, the rocker is probably worn out. I"ve seen similar things go whacky with steering wheel controls. You hit volume up, and it spirals to ear-shattering levels all by itself, because the rocker switch is so worn.

With my pontiac I don't have a problem with it rolling all the way down. I only have a problem with it not rolling down at all Stupid motor keeps going kaput.

While we're on the topic of windows. Does everyone's TL when you roll the windows up, feel like the window just slams shut? On mine, it always sounds like it slams the window into the frame, which results in a fairly loud thud. None of my other cars do that. I can't remember if our 03' TL did that too, or if it's just our 05'.
No, it seems designed this way. In fact, once the button's been held sufficiently long, you can hear a relay click under the dash that finishes the auto move. It's a 2003 with about 40k miles on it. Nothing seems worn out quite yet.