3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I got a ticket today for tinted windows!! Sucks!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 06:59 PM
2011 BMW 335i

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got a ticket today for tinted windows!! Sucks!!

Ok guys...so why did I get pulled over for my window tint this morning. That sucks!!!!!!I got pulled over right by my house as I was heading for work this morning, I was making a right turn and the motorcycle cop drove right by me and he looked right at my car and he kept going. He stopped ahead and I had a perfect chance to turn into another street and take a different route but I wasn’t smart enough to do that apparently. I really didn't think he would pull me over though. I have had my window tint (32% all around, no tint on windshield) like this for about a year now. Anyway I passed him later on and then he got behind me and pulled me over…He was actually nice about it (Every ticket I have gotten before the cop was a jerk)…but still I thought it was messed up that he was pulling me over ONLY for the tint. When he let me go I felt like saying, “I hope this helped you meet your quota for today!” But I didn’t say anything cause for one, he wasn’t a jerk to me and two, I really didn’t want him to follow me and then give me a ticket for speeding or something.
Anyway...I think I am going to be really careful from now on when posting new threads since I was just talking about yesterday on another thread. I think I jinxed myself!!

Anyway, I know if I just pay the fine, I really don't have to get have to get the tint removed. I know I run the risk of getting pulled over again though and getting another ticket. Does anyone know what is the worst that could happen after several fix it tickets? I know I won't get surcharged on my insurance for a fix it ticket (I work in insurance) but I still don't want it to show on my motor vehicle report. I do know if I go with the option below it will never show up on my motor vehicle report.
On the other hand, I really don't mind paying to have the tint removed, that way I can get my ticket signed off and then just have my windows tinted again. My only concern with that is my tint might look different if they don't have the same tint film brand, etc. when I go have my windows re-tinted and I really don't want that. What do you guys suggest?
Old 04-15-2008, 07:07 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 930 Likes on 612 Posts
Originally Posted by carlos9827
Ok guys...so why did I get pulled over for my window tint this morning. That sucks!!!!!!I got pulled over right by my house as I was heading for work this morning, I was making a right turn and the motorcycle cop drove right by me and he looked right at my car and he kept going. He stopped ahead and I had a perfect chance to turn into another street and take a different route but I wasn’t smart enough to do that apparently. I really didn't think he would pull me over though. I have had my window tint (32% all around, no tint on windshield) like this for about a year now. Anyway I passed him later on and then he got behind me and pulled me over…He was actually nice about it (Every ticket I have gotten before the cop was a jerk)…but still I thought it was messed up that he was pulling me over ONLY for the tint. When he let me go I felt like saying, “I hope this helped you meet your quota for today!” But I didn’t say anything cause for one, he wasn’t a jerk to me and two, I really didn’t want him to follow me and then give me a ticket for speeding or something.
Anyway...I think I am going to be really careful from now on when posting new threads since I was just talking about yesterday on another thread. I think I jinxed myself!!

Anyway, I know if I just pay the fine, I really don't have to get have to get the tint removed. I know I run the risk of getting pulled over again though and getting another ticket. Does anyone know what is the worst that could happen after several fix it tickets? I know I won't get surcharged on my insurance for a fix it ticket (I work in insurance) but I still don't want it to show on my motor vehicle report. I do know if I go with the option below it will never show up on my motor vehicle report.
On the other hand, I really don't mind paying to have the tint removed, that way I can get my ticket signed off and then just have my windows tinted again. My only concern with that is my tint might look different if they don't have the same tint film brand, etc. when I go have my windows re-tinted and I really don't want that. What do you guys suggest?
So you're willing to pay to have the tint removed and then get the windows re-tinted, rather than just paying the ticket? That's pricey. I'd just pay the ticket; who cares if it goes on your MVR.
Old 04-15-2008, 07:21 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my friend got tint on his evo, he pulled over twice, and he just pay the ticket, he doesnt want to drive at night anymore though...haha either that or window down!..
Old 04-15-2008, 08:32 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
Ca cops are really down on the front doors windors being tinted AT ALL- so dont plan on paying and getting away with it- the computer knows all!!!
There are far to many LE Officers getting shot when stopping cars they cant see into- so no tints on the fronts.
I had mine at 25% for a few years till the wife got a speeding ticket and they said it had to come off.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:36 PM
Pro

Just a question do you guys roll with your sunroof uncovered??

The light that comes in through the sunroof will illuminate your figure enough that having 35% shouldnt be a problem and will look like 50%.

Just tint the sunroof and always cruse with the shade pulled back.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:52 PM
2011 BMW 335i

Originally Posted by evanj5

The light that comes in through the sunroof will illuminate your figure enough that having 35% shouldnt be a problem and will look like 50%.

Yes, I usually always have the sunroof cover opened and that definately lets light into the car...and its not like I have limo tint...thats why I was like...WTF!
Old 04-15-2008, 08:59 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
Fact is there are laws governing tints. It's your responsibility to know them ("ignorance of the law is no excuse").

IOW - you takes your chances and live with the result.

I'm not talking about agreeing with the law or whether it's "fair" or "smart" or "right". I'm saying it is what it is and you got caught; don't whine about it.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:07 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by evanj5

It's not enough light...some cops look for front window tints just so they can give tickets for any amount. I got pulled over before I was 21 w/ like 1 beer in me and got my license suspended for a year...the reason was cuz I had 38% tint in the front while the backs were limo tint (5%). I thought the appearance of the lighter tint would make it seem like there was none but cops looking for it can tell. I got my front window tint completely removed...the backs are still limo that's good enough for me.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:43 PM
2011 BMW 335i

Originally Posted by Bearcat94
Fact is there are laws governing tints. It's your responsibility to know them ("ignorance of the law is no excuse").

I'm not talking about agreeing with the law or whether it's "fair" or "smart" or "right". I'm saying it is what it is and you got caught; don't whine about it.
If you guys are going to leave a comment like the one above that Bearcat94 was kind enough to leave, don't bother leaving anything at all. As for you Bearcat94, no one is whining, I'm just sharing with my fellow TL owner friends what happened to me today. You never know someone out there may learn from reading this thread and/or from someone else's opinion. One thing's for sure...no one learned anything from yours. Thanks.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:06 PM
AZ Community Team

Like I said: You buy your ticket, you takes your chances.

You posted, I replied. Not my problem if you don't like my opinion and far be it from you or I to tell others not to post just because we don't like what they say.

Maybe you knew CA (and the other 49 states) have SPECIFIC laws governing tints and maybe you didn't. I'd argue that someone reading this thread in the future *will* know that. So my post does add value, IMHO.

If you break the law (dumb law or not), what happens, happens and it's on *you*, not the cop. But you're not whining:

..... but still I thought it was messed up that he was pulling me over ONLY for the tint. When he let me go I felt like saying, “I hope this helped you meet your quota for today!” But I didn’t say anything cause for one, he wasn’t a jerk to me and two, I really didn’t want him to follow me and then give me a ticket for speeding or something.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:51 PM
2011 BMW 335i

Like I said: You buy your ticket, you takes your chances.

You posted, I replied. Not my problem if you don't like my opinion and far be it from you or I to tell others not to post just because we don't like what they say.

Maybe you knew CA (and the other 49 states) have SPECIFIC laws governing tints and maybe you didn't. I'd argue that someone reading this thread in the future *will* know that. So my post does add value, IMHO.

If you break the law (dumb law or not), what happens, happens and it's on *you*, not the cop. But you're not whining:
It's not a matter of liking or not liking your opinion, as a matter of fact I completely ignored what you said because I can tell from your posting on my thread as well as others I have seen from you, that you are a negative person. I don't let negative people or their "opinions" get to me. If you go back and read my original posting, I had also asked if anyone knew what happened after a certain number of fix it tickets. So when I log into my account and see there's new postings on my thread, I want to read them to see if anyone has an answer to my question. To instead read postings like yours, really disgusts me and makes me wonder if you have a life?? ?? For you to take the time and energy to post something like "Don't whine about it" and "I'm saying it is what it is and you got caught" is really sad. Of course I got caught or I wouldn't have posted anything in the first place!!!!

But anyway, I apologize to anyone else having to read this because this was not the original intention for this thread.
Old 04-15-2008, 11:34 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
Carlos, I get pulled over all the time for my (very illegal) 15% tint. In MO, front windows have to be at least 35%.

I like my tints very much, so I just pay the fine, keep the tint and move on.
I figure it's just the price I have to pay...my tint tax.
Old 04-15-2008, 11:45 PM
2011 BMW 335i

Originally Posted by paz840
Carlos, I get pulled over all the time for my (very illegal) 15% tint. In MO, front windows have to be at least 35%.

I like my tints very much, so I just pay the fine, keep the tint and move on.
I figure it's just the price I have to pay...my tint tax.
Thanks I appreciate it, I think I am going to do exactly that!

Thanks to anx1300c also, you're right I think I would be more expensive to do things the 2nd way I mentioned. Who cares if it goes on my MVR...its not like its a speeding vio or a DUI...
Old 04-16-2008, 12:12 AM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you guys are going to leave a comment like the one above that Bearcat94 was kind enough to leave, don't bother leaving anything at all. As for you Bearcat94, no one is whining, I'm just sharing with my fellow TL owner friends what happened to me today. You never know someone out there may learn from reading this thread and/or from someone else's opinion. One thing's for sure...no one learned anything from yours. Thanks.

Here Here!!
Old 04-16-2008, 12:14 AM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
how much is a tint ticket roughly?
Old 04-16-2008, 12:19 AM
2011 BMW 335i

Originally Posted by DaveS221
how much is a tint ticket roughly?
Here in CA it ranges $30-$60...
Old 04-16-2008, 12:35 AM
Racer

Your very first sentence was "Ok guys...so why did I get pulled over for my window tint this morning."

Then it seems like you cop an attitude when someone tells you that you got the ticket because it's not legal to have your tints in Calif..

I like paz840's attitude tint tax...I love it
Old 04-16-2008, 12:50 AM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Curse that bearcat and his pragmatism. He's harshing my groove man.

::titter::
Old 04-16-2008, 02:44 AM
Registered speed offender

Received 52 Likes on 33 Posts
i agree with most people about bearcat..i dont think ive ever read a positive comment from him.

maybe he just needs to get laid..i dunno
Old 04-16-2008, 07:59 PM
13.2@ 107 on Street tires

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by deltaboxxx
i agree with most people about bearcat..i dont think ive ever read a positive comment from him.

maybe he just needs to get laid..i dunno
would that make him a "grizzlylion"?
Old 04-16-2008, 08:02 PM
2011 BMW 335i

^^haha...
Old 04-16-2008, 08:21 PM
I caught the mod flu

I agree 100% and could not have said it any better.

When I was in Hs the cops in my neck of the woods would pull us over, tell us to remove the tint or get fined.

Now that I'm a police officer I dont have to worry about my tinted windows.
Old 04-16-2008, 08:25 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 205 Likes on 128 Posts
Texas laws are a bit more lenient. I just hate having to have a front plate......which is why I dont
Old 04-16-2008, 08:26 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 205 Likes on 128 Posts
Just to add, I know Bearcat, he may come across that way but so do I.

Hes a good guy....
Old 04-16-2008, 08:44 PM
Cruisin'

What is the CA law on tinting? I was going to get it done..

I found this..

California Tint Law Enacted: 1999
HOW DARK CAN WINDOW TINT BE IN CALIFORNIA?

Darkness of tint is measured by Visible Light Transmission percentage (VLT%). In California, this percentage refers to percentage of visible light allowed in through the combination of film and the window.

Windshield Non-reflective tint is allowed on the top 4 inches of the windshield.
Front Side Windows Must allow more than 70% of light in.
Back Side Windows Any darkness can be used.
Rear Window Any darkness can be used.

So , if you had 32% all around that would tell me that it would let 68% of all light in. You can't tell me a cop is going to notice 2% ?
Old 04-16-2008, 09:13 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by General Zod
What is the CA law on tinting? I was going to get it done..

I found this..

California Tint Law Enacted: 1999
HOW DARK CAN WINDOW TINT BE IN CALIFORNIA?

Darkness of tint is measured by Visible Light Transmission percentage (VLT%). In California, this percentage refers to percentage of visible light allowed in through the combination of film and the window.

Windshield Non-reflective tint is allowed on the top 4 inches of the windshield.
Front Side Windows Must allow more than 70% of light in.
Back Side Windows Any darkness can be used.
Rear Window Any darkness can be used.

So , if you had 32% all around that would tell me that it would let 68% of all light in. You can't tell me a cop is going to notice 2% ?

Here's a link to the 3G Garage with tint information and laws for each state and Canadian Province.

K-001: Legal Tint Limits and Information
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=164732

You're right about CA. It's a little goofy, but RI and NY is worse, basically NO TINT ALLOWED. MI is just .... .

The calcualtion of tint is usually "Net" which is the Glass (ours is ~75%) PLUS tint film. The best thing to do is work with a reputable tinter and they can tell you what the darkest film is that will keep you legal.

Why do I know this? Because we have an annual safety inspection and they check tints. The price of failing to renew your inspection sticker is high - I know from experience - so you can't just ignore it. I chose to be informed and get the darkest tint I could without worrying about being hassled.

I don't care what someone does with their tints - legal or illegal - it's all good to me. My only point is know what you're doing and if you choose an illegal tint level be willing to accept the fact that you may get hassled and/or fined.

And, if you are hassled and/or fined, step up and take responsibilty for your own actions - it's not the cop's fault, it's not the judge's fault, it's not my fault - it's your fault.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:34 PM
'13 Hyundai Sonata

Received 99 Likes on 91 Posts
I know someone here in RI that the cop told him to unlock his doors and the cop actually took a razor blade and cut the tint on the driver's side of the car. Tint is basically to be used at your own risk.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:39 PM
Racer

I had my 02 TL-S tinted 20% for 6 years and never got pulled over. REcently got my 08 TL-S tinted 20% again. Whenever i see a cop near by, i just roll down the front two windows regardless of the weather (even during winter and when it rains)
Old 04-16-2008, 11:17 PM
SlammedOnKonis

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by General Zod
You got it the wrong way around. A 32% tint let's 32% of light in.

So let's say I get a tint ticket and I just say "fuck it I'll just pay the $60 fine", they just fine me and don't make me remove the tints? I know that at the tint shop I go to it's $60 to remove and redo front windows.

I'm in CA btw.
Old 04-17-2008, 02:33 AM
2011 BMW 335i

Originally Posted by ifirahse

So let's say I get a tint ticket and I just say "fuck it I'll just pay the $60 fine", they just fine me and don't make me remove the tints? I know that at the tint shop I go to it's $60 to remove and redo front windows.

I'm in CA btw.
Yes to my understanding you can do exactly that. Just plead guilty and pay the fine for window tint and you don't have to have it removed. If you do it this way I understand it goes on your motor vehicle report, it doesn't affect you in anyway though, your insurance doesnt go up or anything.
The other way you can do it, is pay to have the tint removed, have any police office check your car out, they will sign the back of your ticket and then you go to court and pay the fine their and it get dismissed, as if it never happened. Then you go and get your windows tinted again
Old 04-17-2008, 02:38 AM
2011 BMW 335i

Here's a link to the 3G Garage with tint information and laws for each state and Canadian Province.

K-001: Legal Tint Limits and Information
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=164732

You're right about CA. It's a little goofy, but RI and NY is worse, basically NO TINT ALLOWED. MI is just .... .

The calcualtion of tint is usually "Net" which is the Glass (ours is ~75%) PLUS tint film. The best thing to do is work with a reputable tinter and they can tell you what the darkest film is that will keep you legal.

Why do I know this? Because we have an annual safety inspection and they check tints. The price of failing to renew your inspection sticker is high - I know from experience - so you can't just ignore it. I chose to be informed and get the darkest tint I could without worrying about being hassled.

I don't care what someone does with their tints - legal or illegal - it's all good to me. My only point is know what you're doing and if you choose an illegal tint level be willing to accept the fact that you may get hassled and/or fined.

And, if you are hassled and/or fined, step up and take responsibilty for your own actions - it's not the cop's fault, it's not the judge's fault, it's not my fault - it's your fault.
If you would have just posted sometihng like this since the very beginning.....
Old 04-24-2008, 01:15 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by ifirahse
Ah ok. Thanks. I know nothing about tinting (obviously). That makes more sense.

It sounds like, in CA, you're probably going to be hassled if you have tinting so I'll probably just pass. Would be nice on those 110+ degree days.
Old 04-24-2008, 01:37 PM
Burning Brakes

i live in nyc queens n i must have a binder full of tinit tickets if u ask me cops r just haters well most of them at least there are good cops out there but yea i basicly love my tints n will never ever get rid of them
Old 04-24-2008, 03:03 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
FYI, my routine after getting pulled over is to drop windows, open sunroof, music off, visor down (covering hardwired radar detector), and hands on the steering wheel.

Putting the cop at ease doesnt hurt, and may even win you donut points.
Old 04-24-2008, 03:09 PM
-Arsenic-

Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts
I have had 4 tint tickets. Whats the big deal? its a $60 non-moving violation every once in a while. They don't even mess with me anymore, they know I'll just pay it and forget about it lol. My windows are 15% sides and rear, and 35% full windshield. I love it.
Old 04-24-2008, 03:15 PM
B A N N E D

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by lldknyll26
I had my 02 TL-S tinted 20% for 6 years and never got pulled over. REcently got my 08 TL-S tinted 20% again. Whenever i see a cop near by, i just roll down the front two windows regardless of the weather (even during winter and when it rains)
This is the best advice regarding tint I've seen so far in this thread. When I was getting my car tinted (3M 20%), a girl told me to do this. She was getting 15% on her maxima. She said "cops want to know who is inside the driver's seat, so ALWAYS roll your windown down when you see a cop. Especialily at a checkpoint. If you've got illegal tints at a checkpoint and you don't roll your window down then you have to be an idiot cuz you're gonna get fu*ked with.

Just keep this in mind: RESPECT THE UNIFORM
Old 04-24-2008, 03:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by leedogg
FYI, my routine after getting pulled over is to drop windows, open sunroof, music off, visor down (covering hardwired radar detector), and hands on the steering wheel.
you forgot bend over and apply vasoline j/k

i usually get pulled over soley for my tints, so by the time they first see me, it's already too late...but i do it anyway
Old 04-24-2008, 03:26 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Riga89
Just keep this in mind: RESPECT THE UNIFORM
f*** that...respect deez nuts
Old 04-24-2008, 03:35 PM
Cruisin'

you can not get a tint ticket fixed, you have to pull of fthe tint then get it fixed. You are going to have to retint. It is points on your dl each time.
Old 04-24-2008, 05:57 PM
Fight On!

Hey Carlos,
What part of SD did you get pulled over at? Were they SD police or other local police?

I have 3M 20% all around and when I got a recent speeding ticket I rolled my windows down when I got pulled over.

My tinter said that it's considered a courtesy to do so. (But my ticketer was CHP, so maybe he didn't care anywayz.)

Quick Reply: I got a ticket today for tinted windows!! Sucks!!