3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I got rear ended, now i have more problems!

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 06:22 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry I got rear ended, now i have more problems!

So i got rear ended and took the guys insurance and license plate info by the side of the highway. as it turns out, the guys insurace turns out to be invalid and no one picks up from the phone number he gave me. he also had left the scene, cuz he claims to be in a rush, but i grabbed whatever info i could before a cop came.

now my insurance is state farm, even though i gave them the guy's name, address and license plate, they can't find out a way to see what his real car insurance is, so this means i would have to pay to get the bumper repainted, even though it wasn't my fault, due to the $500 deductable.

i don't know, but i thought that state farm would be able to handle all this crap. I had actually forgotten to get the guy's name and address at the time of the accident, but i was able to get it from a friend of mine who is a police officer, by telling him the license plate. state farm wasn't able to find out who the owner was based on the license plate.

Now my main question is. How can i find out what the other guy's car insurance company is?? I have his name, address, license plate!! state farm can't seeem to help me out. I really don't want this guy to get away with this.

total crap if you ask me,
Old 01-30-2007, 06:30 PM
Previous Owner

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Why not report the guy's name to the police and tell them that it's come down to a hit and run? the guy who gave you the insurance info is not liable and perhaps could go to jail? or at least a fine. If you got his address, did you try to go and visit and take pic of his car, if he rear ended you, he must have more damage than you right?

I would also report his address and other info to state farm so they have that on record. As far as what insurance he has, I'm not sure how to find out. You might have to file a claim or report w/ the DMV to get them to release that info to you. But may also be that he has no insurance at all. I'm guessing he didn't show you his insurance card?
Old 01-30-2007, 06:34 PM
Back in a TL again.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
that really sucks i had a girl back in to me at safeway into my bumper similer scenario had her name addy insurance number plates and all was fake she did a number on me.....now i just wait for the cops and always have a camera on you good one 2+ mp take pictures of the car plates damage area even the person if you can take pictures of there drivers licence too...
Old 01-30-2007, 07:11 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
File a Police Report- this has become a hit and run because the other party furnished false information.

Dont you have Uninsured Motorist coverage where you live.
Although everyone here is required to have insurance- I still have to pay for Uninsured just in case! That is supposed to act as coverage for the other person- so you dont have to pay out
Deductible- consult your policy, there is probably a 500 dollar deduc on comprehensive (car body damage)
Old 01-30-2007, 07:16 PM
Back in a TL again.

yes i have uninsured motorist but its not enough damage to me to pay 500 deductable..

as for Thorin78 up to him if he want to pay it i feel him the person that hit him should pay....
Old 01-30-2007, 07:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
You cannot trust people anymore. You should have insisted this person waited until the police came. If he had left, you could have had a hit and run case. Second always go to the hospital( if it is not your fault) and it will force the officier to charge the other party. That way a report will be taken. Its a hassle, but less of a hassle then what you will go through.
Old 01-30-2007, 08:24 PM
4th Gear

Uninsured and underinsured motorists coverage applies to bodily injury only; not for property damage.
Old 01-30-2007, 08:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
just give your insurance company the guy's info, especially the license plate number. it will take them about a week to find out who's the vehicle belong to.
Old 01-30-2007, 08:45 PM
East Coast Crew

So you didn't ask for his driver's license or insurance card? I know I would not have trusted this guy's word if he was to tell me by mouth. Always have the proof in hand.
Old 01-30-2007, 08:52 PM
GO DAWGS!! SICK'EM!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
file police report for hit and run, state that the insurances/info on this person are all false. I still think you will probably going to end up paying this out of your pocket but this all depends on your state law...
Old 01-30-2007, 09:06 PM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

Try this next time...

I would have made him stay until the police got there. Who cares if he was in a rush? At that point, his rush has generated a bigger problem for him that whatever it was he was rushing towards. It was his error, the LEAST he can do is wait until the police come. If he truly can't wait, I would have him sign a peice of paper stating that he was there (you know... just in case and that he could leave after that if he wanted too). Then after he signed it I would tell him that he is still welcome to leave but if he does, that you'd be filing the accident as a hit a run (you never said there would not be consequences for the premature depature in your earlier comments...). At this point you've got him by the big ones because his signature is a demonstration that he was there and that your not making this up...
Old 01-31-2007, 12:02 AM
Instructor

some fucker in a mercedes did that to my mom said he was in a rush and all. she insisted on calling the cops but he was very violent. he did not give her fake info but in the end he just kept fighting it and fighting it that the only way to get the money was small claims. his insurance even called us saying that he is at fault. 5 min later they said he doesnt want to settle. i hope that fucker gets wats coming to him.

moral of story: always get the cops to come
Old 01-31-2007, 09:53 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i guess i didn't mention this too well. the cops did come, took them 2 hours! the officer did file it as a hit and run. but other than the fake insurance card he showed me all i got are his plates on the police report. can i do anything with that report??
Old 01-31-2007, 10:27 AM
Racer

As others have said, if he did not furnish you with valid information to identify/contact him, it is a hit and run and he has committed a crime.
If your damage is less than your deductible, your insurance may try to stay out of it by encouraging you to just take care of it since it is below where they would have to pay.
Go to the Police and see if you can press charges against the person for hit and run. They can look him up through the plate info.
Also, see if your state has a 'victim of crime' compensation fund. California does and if you incur a monetary loss due to a crime (hit and run), the state will reimburse your losses through this fund. I was a victim of a hit and run and this fund paid for everything (hospital, property, wages lost).
Old 01-31-2007, 10:39 AM
Racer

with his name, lisence plate and addy(did you check his lisence) he should be done...in jail to boot. leaving the scene, false insurance/identity etc...
Old 02-01-2007, 02:21 AM
Advanced

ya, that's tough. I keep a disposable camera and take pics of both cars, driver, license plate, driver's license. I've been burned before, if they want to leave I tell then I'm filing a hit and run and they quickly change their mind.

/k