Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

i effed up big time...

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2005, 11:17 PM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by crazymjb
He swerved to avoid hitting something. Also, have there been any forum members, especially TL owners, who have lost there lives in an accident? If you manage to get your TL to move in 4 feet of snow I will be very proud. Kids dont get it cause its a premodded acord, they get it cause its a fairly priced vehicle. If kids were trying to get quick cars and had that much money at there disposal they would jump on the Lancer Evos and WRX STIs, I know cause I am a kid. I dont like those pure sport cars with no luxery, TL is a nice car, and its got a fair amount of power. Generally one is not prepared to turn like that on a highway, you arent expecting something to be in the middle of the road. The kid wasnt try to do "hairpin turns," He was succesfully trying to avoid an obsticle. As far as being tired out, how do you know he didnt drink redbull(too many kids at my school do), you dont need sleep on that stuff. I dont think its fair to chew someone up for going a posted speed limit. As you say this car can creep up on 95, he kept it at 75, so apparently he was paying attention. If he was going 110+ then you could call him a fucker and an asshole, although I still wouldnt, unless he was doing it on city streets.
You're quick to lecture, there. I wouldn't exactly call his attempt to miss the object as a "successful" one, either. I for one would not appreciate being lectured by a 15-year-old that can't spell "luxury", or who says he wouldn't crash a car because "he's too good", especially on a subject of which you have NO EXPERIENCE - Driving.

Good day.

Old 06-06-2005, 11:30 PM
6MT & LSD

Originally Posted by 03CoupeV6
You're quick to lecture, there. I wouldn't exactly call his attempt to miss the object as a "successful" one, either. I for one would not appreciate being lectured by a 15-year-old that can't spell "luxury", or who says he wouldn't crash a car because "he's too good", especially on a subject of which you have NO EXPERIENCE - Driving.

Good day.

ouch...
Old 06-07-2005, 12:56 AM
Audio Enthusiast

Thats no good at all sorry about the bad luck. I hate it when there is crap in the road. Especially when it is because some redneck drove around with all there crap in the back of the pickup and waited to go home until it all fell out on to the road.
Old 06-07-2005, 06:29 AM
Team Anthracite Member

I enjoy reading all the different views and opinions on this forum. Do we know was this a hilly, curvy stretch of road? Was it foggy? Was this a moving object or just something laying in the road? Dry road or wet? Pavement or gravel? Cause if your answers to these questions are:
- No, Flat and straight
- No, Clear night (morning)
- Laying in the road
- Dry road
- Pavement

Then you need a driving course, or just accumulate some more years of experience. Aim high in steering is the first lesson. Don't stare down at the road in front of you, look ahead. Even at that speed, with these headlights, no one else on road - you should have seen it coming - no doubt about it. Hey shit happens - luckily you didn't kill someone and trashed your life so young. Growing pains. Don't worry, you'll get better - but until you do, drive within your limits, not the car's.
Old 06-07-2005, 06:51 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
funny how 75 wasn't even fast.... sure I see that all the time.. it is still speeding.. Don't know anyplace where 75 is under the limit...

The damage ought to be a nice insurance hit as well.
Old 06-07-2005, 06:52 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry dude I feel your pain.
Old 06-07-2005, 07:15 AM
Burning Brakes

Good day.

Amen to that! I'd be interested to see the driving test scores when he writes that 75 isn't speeding.
Old 06-07-2005, 07:23 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MR1
We have slightly higher speed limits out here 65 & 70 MPH max depending on density. I-15 at one time was unenforced for speed long ago, traffic flys to Vegas. The stretch he was on in the Bay Area is good road @ 70 is around the speed limit. Freak accident for a lesser experienced and probably tired younger driver. Slower would have been better but he really was not speeding.
Thank you for your explanation. Someday I really like to move out to California, my visit there was well worth it! When we were on I-15, I did not recall seeing any speed zones nor any trace of police. Here in NJ, you can never get from point A to point B without seeing at least 1 police car on the road.
I believe the originator of this thread was not speeding, rather had a bad luck on the road.
Old 06-07-2005, 09:04 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,671 Likes on 932 Posts
Originally Posted by ndx2
ouch...
but 03CoupeV6 is dead on!!

or who says he wouldn't crash a car because "he's too good", especially on a subject of which you have NO EXPERIENCE - Driving.
....it's typical. My 14 y/o son and his best friend count hours of playing Gran Turismo and Forza Motorsports as driving experience.

I routinely explain to my son about driving in very basic terms: you're operating heavy machinery at high speeds in close proximity with other heavy machines being operated at high speeds in an environment where operating said machinery is done so by people of questionable qualifications for doing so.
Old 06-07-2005, 09:12 AM
Make MyTL Great Again

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by TL ben
luckily nobody else was on the freeway at that time so I was able to cross all 4 lanes to the right and check my damages.
I still don't understand why you were driving in the left lane if no one was on the road...
Old 06-07-2005, 09:17 AM
6MT & LSD

i know for sure CO has 75 mph speed limit. just fyi.
Old 06-07-2005, 09:32 AM
Team Anthracite Member

I only drive in the left lane - I find that (specially on 287) the right hand lanes are totalled from the trucks etc. But that's just me.

Originally Posted by AdamNJ
I still don't understand why you were driving in the left lane if no one was on the road...
Old 06-07-2005, 10:20 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TBone2004
I only drive in the left lane - I find that (specially on 287) the right hand lanes are totalled from the trucks etc. But that's just me.
Even at 4:30 in the morning when nobody else is on the road which has 4 lanes?
Old 06-07-2005, 10:30 AM
6th Gear

Re

sucks man..... but damage is not too bad... easily fixable (for a pro body shop)... I've bought many cars from auctions and fixed them and that is not bad damage at all... very fixable...

I would recommend going thru insurance company because it will be lot of $$$ out of pocket, but if you need to locate used parts on your own, let me know... I have some resources I can share....
Old 06-07-2005, 05:45 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by boltjames
News flash: 70-75 MPH is indeed "fast at all".

News update: "Driving carefully" isn't defined as "speeding at 4:30am after partying with friends all night".

Note to self: If you weren't speeding, you likely would have seen the object and avoided the crash. Don't like that one? Okay, then at the very least you may not have had to over-react and risk hitting the median. Not with me yet? Perhaps you might have not seen the object and perhaps you still would have had to over-react, but at a lower speed your over-reaction likely wouldn't have caused the accident.

Bottom line: You were speeding. That's why you crashed. Own it. If you don't learn that simple lesson from this, it won't be just your TL that's out of commission for a week.

BJ

if i wasn't so lazy i'd pull up that lame ass post you wrote about trying to race someone in your minivan. with your family in it. on the highway. you suck. the kid already feels bad about this shit.

sorry to hear that bro. yeah, 75 isn't that fast sometimes shit like that happens. i had to get a new door cuz some bitch hit my car, said it was all her fault blah blah so i didn't call the cops then she changes her story and fucks me.
Old 06-07-2005, 06:25 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cause I don spell good dont makes me a bad drivers. And depending what he swurved( I know, spelled rong, idc) to avoid he may be succesful. In fact, he is successful cause he didnt hit what he tried to avoid. You could learn a thing or too from me. Mr. Lets go 12 in and indi car.

And for chrissake, 75 is not frickin speeding. I can run that fast...Backwards, with boots.
Old 06-07-2005, 07:57 PM
6MT & LSD

Cause I don spell good dont makes me a bad drivers. And depending what he swurved( I know, spelled rong, idc) to avoid he may be succesful. In fact, he is successful cause he didnt hit what he tried to avoid. You could learn a thing or too from me. Mr. Lets go 12 in and indi car.

And for chrissake, 75 is not frickin speeding. I can run that fast...Backwards, with boots.
your grammar's horrible, too.

it's nice to have a 15 year old's inputs here and there... after all, we've all been there (99%+ of the members here are older than you), and understand your interest (craze?) in cars.

bottom line is though, you do not even have your permit, yet. it doesn't matter how many laps you've ran in racing games, or how many car magazines you've read - you still do not have any driving experience at all. you will realize how fast 75 mph is once you start driving... if you want to find out the hard way, try closing your eyes for 2 seconds while going that fast.
Old 06-07-2005, 08:24 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

it doesn't matter how many laps you've ran in racing games, or how many car magazines you've read - you still do not have any driving experience at all. you will realize how fast 75 mph is once you start driving... if you want to find out the hard way, try closing your eyes for 2 seconds while going that fast.
The only downside of an Acura being born of a Honda is that you've got kids with daddies money who view it as a souped-up, pre-riced Accord and not as a sporty grocery-getter for 40 year old dad.

This car just isn't for youngsters. It's too powerful for its suspension while driven to its limits and its too damn smooth too. Without knowing how, I've gotten her up to 90+ MPH before realizing it and getting back down to a reasonable speed. If you're an experienced, older driver looking for some sport with your luxury the TL is a great ride. No question.

But if you're a high school grad looking to impress friends who own RSX's and WRX's you're going to get yourself in a whole heap of trouble.

BJ
Old 06-07-2005, 09:53 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

Next time, keep these apiphinanamys to yourself.

BJ
Old 06-07-2005, 10:09 PM
Gratis dictum

Next time, keep these apiphinanamys to yourself.

BJ
LOL I am beginning to think that crazymjb could adequately substitute for Yogi Berra in those Aflac commercials.
Old 06-07-2005, 11:31 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Mike_McCready
Wow alot of you are rippin on this kid who just had his car trashed saying that it's his fault. He was going his speed limit, he was tired, and &*@# happens man. Go easy, maybe it's just easier for my to sympathize being 17 and having a TL that I love to death...

Old 06-08-2005, 12:08 AM
6MT & LSD

btw, "he was tired" is not a valid excuse. driving when you know you're tired/exhausted is just as bad as driving drunk, imo.
Old 06-08-2005, 12:23 AM
Team Camel Executive VP

btw, "he was tired" is not a valid excuse. driving when you know you're tired/exhausted is just as bad as driving drunk, imo.
Exactly.

This is entirely about the context of the situation.

If it's 2:30pm and he's driving 75 mph in bright daylight after a nice lunch and he crashes, it's a shame. Shouldn't have been speeding, but hey, we all do on occassion.

If it's 4:30am and he's been awake for 20+ hours after an emotional graduation and a physically exhausting party, it's completely irresponsible to be speeding in pitch blackness while knowingly functioning at 50% (or perhaps less) of capacity.

Tired racerboy children shouldn't be driving overpowered/undersuspended luxury cars designed for 40 year olds straight-line habits in the wee hours of the morning after partying. Wow. A rocket scientist I am.

BJ
Old 06-08-2005, 12:26 AM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
To TL Ben, sorry that you messed your car up. The TL is a beautiful vehicle. I hope to be able to afford one in 14 months when I graduate from university. I won't bother to lecture you too much because it's already been done. Here's some advice though. I learned this when I rode my 4Runner up on a median at 3:30 in the morning one winter.

You know it was a mistake, the best thing you can do is ACTUALLY learn from it, and avoid making it in the future. If you feel you're too tired to drive, by all means CALL YOUR PARENTS. I'm sure they would rather come pick you up at night than come see you in a hospital, or lift your dead body into a casket. The TL is luckily a safe vehicle, but don't let it give you a false sense of confidence. Oh, and if you take it easy on the gas pedal, you might even save some money for other stuff that you want.

For now, just be happy that the TL isn't totalled, and when it comes back, get back in the driver's seat with your new knowledge and experience.
Old 06-08-2005, 12:30 AM
Instructor

TL ben - Sorry to hear about your car. At least your front left tire didn't hit the gaurd rail causing your to possibly filp over. And I agree with you that at that time of the morning and in the fast lane...no matter how many people on this thread said you were going "too fast" or "fast" you were NOT going too fast. If you were doing the speed limit of 65mph the outcome would have probably been the same. I was just cracking up when I was reading some of these comments saying that you were going too fast. But then again going 66mph in a 65mph zone would also be labled as going "too fast" by some of these folks.
Old 06-08-2005, 12:32 AM
Instructor

This car just isn't for youngsters. It's too powerful for its suspension while driven to its limits and its too damn smooth too. Without knowing how, I've gotten her up to 90+ MPH before realizing it and getting back down to a reasonable speed. If you're an experienced, older driver looking for some sport with your luxury the TL is a great ride. No question.

But if you're a high school grad looking to impress friends who own RSX's and WRX's you're going to get yourself in a whole heap of trouble.
BJ
I think a lot of what you wrote is true. Furthermore when you take into consideration the NIH studies on adolescent brain development that conclude they are more willing take on risks, then your comment about the "heap of trouble" should be in bold letters.

Here's an article about the NIH study - http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp...nguage=printer

TL Ben was very lucky that the damage was only to his TL. I really hope something is learned from the experience.

If you really wanted to see what it takes to make sudden avoidance moves, sign up for a car control course at a driving school. I was amazed to find how violently quick you have to move that steering wheel just to go one lane over, and then to maintain control of the car. I did this at 40 mph and found it challenging to do when the distance to the road hazard was only a few car lengths. I can hardly imagine doing that at 70-75 mph.
Old 06-08-2005, 11:51 AM
AVB for President!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The basic speed law (pretty much anywhere, not just CA) states that you should not drive faster than conditions would allow. It doesn't matter if the speed limit is 65 ot 70 or whatever. The fact is that there should be visual scanning at least 12-15 seconds ahead (recommended for 1/4 mile at highway speeds), and if he wasn't able to see the obstruction on time to swerve out of the way (especially since there was like no one on the freeway), then I say it is a lack of maturity in driving.

Truth to be told, I would've probably messed up too. What I'm trying to say is that he isn't necessarily wrong, but there were better ways to handle the scenario.
Old 06-08-2005, 01:11 PM
Burning Brakes

it's nice to have a 15 year old's inputs here and there...
you do not even have your permit, yet. you still do not have any driving experience at all. try closing your eyes for 2 seconds while going that fast.
^ please do not attempt this. Take it only as a joke or else you will put yourself and others in danger
Old 06-08-2005, 01:26 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
Originally Posted by TheMainEvEnt
^ please do not attempt this. Take it only as a joke or else you will put yourself and others in danger
Come on...eyesies closies is fun!

ndx2's suggestion reminded me of the Married with Children episode where Bud and Kelly played it and hit some guys car.

Anyway, he wasn't serious, and only a moron would take that suggestion and do it...
Old 06-08-2005, 01:28 PM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

Originally Posted by Mike_McCready
Wow alot of you are rippin on this kid who just had his car trashed saying that it's his fault. He was going his speed limit, he was tired, and &*@# happens man. Go easy, maybe it's just easier for my to sympathize being 17 and having a TL that I love to death...
Huh? He was going HIS Speed limit? Since when do we each get our OWN speed limit? According to you, public officials have declared it "OK" for this guy to exceed the speedlimit the REST of us are measured by in excess of 10 or 15MPH. The plain and simple FACTS are that he WAS NOT under the PUBLISHED speed limit. If your tired (or conditions are poor) you are suppose to slow down BELOW the PUBLISHED speed limit (It's even in the driving manual). Shheeessh. Idohope helearns hislesson and his parents force him to pay for his own insurace. If he were my son, the car would be "off limits" for at LEAST two weeks after HE finished paying for it to get repaired.
Old 06-08-2005, 01:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ndabunka
Huh? He was going HIS Speed limit? Since when do we each get our OWN speed limit? According to you, public officials have declared it "OK" for this guy to exceed the speedlimit the REST of us are measured by in excess of 10 or 15MPH. The plain and simple FACTS are that he WAS NOT under the PUBLISHED speed limit. If your tired (or conditions are poor) you are suppose to slow down BELOW the PUBLISHED speed limit (It's even in the driving manual). Shheeessh. Idohope helearns hislesson and his parents force him to pay for his own insurace. If he were my son, the car would be "off limits" for at LEAST two weeks after HE finished paying for it to get repaired.
In some part of California, I believe the speed limit is 75mph. If he were to travel 70~75mph. He will be within the speed limit.
Old 06-08-2005, 02:02 PM
Make MyTL Great Again

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by TBone2004
287 also doesn't have a big ass concrete barrier dividing the traffic...it has grass, so you are also less likely to fuck up your car. What about the parkway or turnpike? Still only a left lane driver if no one is on the road?
Old 06-08-2005, 04:17 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

Originally Posted by TheMainEvEnt
In some part of California, I believe the speed limit is 75mph. If he were to travel 70~75mph. He will be within the speed limit.
It's the context of the situation. The context.

He was awake for 20+ straight hours after an emotional graduation and a physically draining party. 75mph? He should have been in bed or, at the very least, in the back seat of his parents car.

75mph isn't "fast" during the day or early evening. 75mph is deadly at 4:30am on no sleep.

BJ
Old 06-08-2005, 09:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Quote: The only downside of an Acura being born of a Honda is that you've got kids with daddies money who view it as a souped-up, pre-riced Accord and not as a sporty grocery-getter for 40 year old dad.

-Haha-I know this sounds wierd but I would never go out and buy a honda. Acura is one thing, but if I was gonna supe up a car it wouldnt be a honda. To me, and this doesn not reach to everyone, they feel cheap. I am aware they are great cars, but I could better see myself in my dads taurus. My first car will most likely be a used Integra. I care too much about names. Acura >>>>> Honda. As far as my driving skill goes, I do go kart racing, which is half that speed, but the entire track is 1/10th the size of the real world, and there is a real danger. Hitting a barrier at 35 will screw you up. My moped goes 38, and I realize that stuff goes by fast.

Quote: If he f's up his car at 2pm after lunch speeding...
-We havent astablished he was speeding yet. Jeesh.
Old 06-08-2005, 09:46 PM
Registered Driver

Speeding or not, the speed limit is that: The limit. It isn't a reccomended speed. It is supposed to be the maximum speed.

He is young, and was driving faster than he should have been at the time, and in doing so messed up the car. That sucks, but hopefully he learned something from it.

I personally just drove home over the weekend after prom at around 5AM after being up for about 22 of the last 23 hours. It was getting light at the time and visibility was good, but I was a consistant 5mph under the limit, because I knew I was tired and not driving my best. Had I been driving faster, there were easily a couple situations that could have been a bit tricky, but I drove within my limits, he wasn't driving within his limits.
Old 06-08-2005, 09:56 PM
6MT & LSD

Originally Posted by AdamNJ
287 also doesn't have a big ass concrete barrier dividing the traffic...it has grass, so you are also less likely to fuck up your car. What about the parkway or turnpike? Still only a left lane driver if no one is on the road?

grass = more likely to slide and roll over (@ 70~mph). not safe at all.

crazymjb, don't even try to imply that you have good driving skills. go karting is helpful in learning the fundamentals of driving, but it is not the same as driving in real life. my advice; lose that over-confidence of yours on driving, otherwise you'll cause an accident... almost guaranteed.

haha, after reading this thread, the last thing i'll do is post about an accident of which i'm at fault.
Old 06-09-2005, 06:48 AM
Advanced

grass = more likely to slide and roll over (@ 70~mph). not safe at all.
This I agree with this 100%. I'd rather sideswipe a concrete barrier than go onto a middle median that is grass. Too many drivers die each year by sliding through the middle median and hitting a car going the opposite direction or rolling over due to the change in traction.

crazymjb, don't even try to imply that you have good driving skills. go karting is helpful in learning the fundamentals of driving, but it is not the same as driving in real life. my advice; lose that over-confidence of yours on driving, otherwise you'll cause an accident... almost guaranteed.
If you've never driven a shifter kart, a real kart with a 125cc engine and sequential six speed gearbox, then you can't say that it is not the same. In fact, a shifter kart teaches you the physics of driving very quickly. If you ever have the opportunity to rent one, do it. And I'm not talking about the 5hp lawnmower go-karts at your local amusement park.

haha, after reading this thread, the last thing i'll do is post about an accident of which i'm at fault.
I agree!
Old 06-09-2005, 08:25 AM
Racer

I notice a lot of sympathy for the "accident prone" child.

I wonder how much sympathy he would get if when he had lost control, he had side swiped YOUR car?

Yaaahh, different picture, dat's fer sure (Fargo accent)
Old 06-09-2005, 10:26 AM
Suzuka Master

Thats why I said I was aware it was very different, you are way too sensative.
Old 06-09-2005, 12:25 PM
Racer

The only downside of an Acura being born of a Honda is that you've got kids with daddies money who view it as a souped-up, pre-riced Accord and not as a sporty grocery-getter for 40 year old dad.

BJ
your posts make me want to stab myself in the eye with a fork.

Quick Reply: i effed up big time...