I don't know what to do....Please Read

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2013 | 08:22 PM
Advanced

I don't know what to do....Please Read

Okay so a couple years ago my parents bought an 06 acura tl with pretty low miles for a decent price. Through the dealer we bought an extended warranty for 1,500 dollars. This past december the original warranty ran out and we thought we were covered by the extended warranty we bought. Right? WRONG. Evidently the warranty they sold us was invalid...(You cant sell an additional warranty on top of the certified used) We did not know this. They said we informed the dealer and we sent you a letter so its not our fault. They are now refusing to give us our money back and pretty much said too bad.

That is the not only part. We traded that in to get an 08 Acura TL. When the dealer pulled up the car fax BAM magically an accident appeared. The original carfax we have from the purchase date of the car shows a clean record, but on the carfax it say (carfax started reporting this in 2009) we bought the car before that?! The dealer said sorry it has an accident and that drops the value. Overall between these two fiascos we are out 4-5 grand on the car.

WHAT DO WE DO? We dont even know where to begin.

O ya sorry... We never received a letter informing us of the invalid contract. They claim it was sent a month after we bought the car. And if it was wrecked they couldnt of even certified it under their conditions.

Last edited by Steven Bell; 01-24-2013 at 09:01 PM. Reason: Merged Posts
Old 01-24-2013 | 08:33 PM
Type Sour

Damn stealership.
Old 01-24-2013 | 08:46 PM
Three Wheelin'

Have you tried calling corporate about this issue?
Old 01-24-2013 | 08:48 PM
Suzuka Master

this is why I don't buy extended warranty with my TL-S, they can turn 180 degree around and try almost anything to refuse your claim. About the Carfax issue yes its true that it might never reported to carfax when your parent bought the car but after that some how, someone report to carfax after that and now it showed on the report and this is a good reason for dealer to lower your trade in value. I hate to say but its partially your parent fault for not properly inspected the car aka PPI before the buying the car. my carfax is clean but I told the saleman that the front bumper is clearly got repainted so I lower the price. I also check all the panel for vin sticker to make sure the car still have all original panel, last but not least I brought the car to a trusted shop and asked them to do a check like they gona sell the car as CPO.
Old 01-24-2013 | 08:56 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by truonghthe
this is why I don't buy extended warranty with my TL-S
The reason we did not inspect it is because my mom works as a service advisor at another dealership owned by the same person (Gunn) The people in makeready check it out (supposed to). My mom going on how her dealership is and trusted it. It was Certified which by the companies standards means it is in good condition and not been wrecked.

Originally Posted by DaeHanMeenGuk
Have you tried calling corporate about this issue?
My mom has tried that. She called them and the dealership manager and all he said was well sorry you should know because you're a service writer. (which has nothing to do with sales)
Old 01-24-2013 | 09:02 PM
Suzuka Master

short of going to court there isnt much you can do.
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (01-25-2013)
Old 01-24-2013 | 09:03 PM
Team Owner

Holy crap.....
Old 01-24-2013 | 09:23 PM
I like turtles

Im not a lawyer but this shet doesnt seem legal.
The following users liked this post:
Undying Dreams (01-24-2013)
Old 01-24-2013 | 09:27 PM
Team Owner

I like the suggestion about calling Acura.
Old 01-24-2013 | 09:32 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by LemonJoy
The reason we did not inspect it is because my mom works as a service advisor at another dealership owned by the same person (Gunn) The people in makeready check it out (supposed to). My mom going on how her dealership is and trusted it. It was Certified which by the companies standards means it is in good condition and not been wrecked.

My mom has tried that. She called them and the dealership manager and all he said was well sorry you should know because you're a service writer. (which has nothing to do with sales)

You will in for a surprise what these dealer will do to get you buy a CPO car, some of them even go to the auction and buy car that beat up and sell it as CPO. I see normal CPO most of the time is car that was lease, maintain by that dealer and now return to the dealer still within the reasonable mileage that is a true CPO car.
Old 01-24-2013 | 09:42 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
I like the suggestion about calling Acura.
Since the dealer is an actual certified Acura Dealer we will try to call Acura or maybe even the BBB.
Old 01-24-2013 | 09:42 PM
Pro

Damn sorry to hear! Look into a lawyer? And also from what I know as a dealer, a lot of dealers are actually required to certify cars from Corporate. That's why a lot of crappy cars become cpo'd. And a accident doesn't make a car wrecked nor does it state anywhere that they can't sell a car that's been in a previous accident(s) as a cpo. As long as there's a clear title and no rollback or something of that sort they cant cpo pretty much any car.
Old 01-24-2013 | 10:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

Dealership manager = Manager at the dealership? Or someone who works at Corporate Acura and is in the Dealership division? Sorry, I just wanted a clarification and I want the best outcome for you and your mother.

http://owners.acura.com/Site/Customer_Relations.aspx

My guess is that you've already tried that link and those phone numbers, but my only suggestion to you is to keep calling. If that doesn't work out, lawyer up. And I know that everyone tends to suggest getting a lawyer but they also forget that there are lawyer fees as well. If you do bring a lawyer into this, make sure that he/she won't cost you 4-5k in legal fees.

Best of luck to you!
Old 01-24-2013 | 10:09 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by DaeHanMeenGuk
Dealership manager = Manager at the dealership?
Yes the person who oversees the sales department of that dealership. So pretty much the person who is charge besides the owner.
Old 01-24-2013 | 10:16 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by EkSoni
Damn sorry to hear!
Thank you very much. It has just been one big pain. And plus that money could go towards MODS!
Old 01-24-2013 | 10:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

Yes the person who oversees the sales department of that dealership. So pretty much the person who is charge besides the owner.
He's an asshole for screwing over an Acura customer, and a bigger asshole for screwing over a fellow worker, even if they work at different dealerships, since it's all under Gunn. Call corporate!

(800) 382-2238

Last edited by DaeHanMeenGuk; 01-24-2013 at 10:23 PM.
Old 01-24-2013 | 10:26 PM
Pro

Honestly corporate could give a rat's ass about it all.. Since your mom works for the same company or overseeing company can't she speak to her boss to get in touch with the owner(s) and get some help that way?
Old 01-24-2013 | 10:35 PM
Advanced

Honestly corporate could give a rat's ass about it all.. Since your mom works for the same company or overseeing company can't she speak to her boss to get in touch with the owner(s) and get some help that way?
You would think so... When she did they pretty much told he take a hike. They said you should have know because you are our employee
Old 01-24-2013 | 10:36 PM
Drifting

^^^What they said up there about lawyers!
Old 01-25-2013 | 10:50 AM
Three Wheelin'

Talk to corporate. If they give you a hard time file a small claims court case. You don't need a lawyer and filing is usually less than $100. If a CPO car is supposed to be accident free and they sold you a warranty that can't be used it should be a pretty clear case of fraud. Most likely they'll change their tune once they get served.

Oh, also tell them if you don't get this resolved to your satisfaction you plan on shopping the story around the local news outlets. Often they like to pick up stories of dealers screwing over customers. (Be careful to stick to the facts here.)
The following 2 users liked this post by geekybiker:
EvilVirus (01-25-2013), usdmJON (10-23-2013)
Old 01-25-2013 | 12:17 PM
Pro

Damn that's f**ked up... She better not still work for them! lol.. But honestly you can't fight a claim on the basis of it being cpo'd meaning no accident because there's no such rule which states they can't sell a car with a prior accident as cpo'd. You can sue for the warranty being bs. And you can take them to court for wrong info and other such things. Good luck!
Old 01-25-2013 | 12:21 PM
Slot Machine Lubricator

Originally Posted by geekybiker
Talk to corporate. If they give you a hard time file a small claims court case. You don't need a lawyer and filing is usually less than $100. If a CPO car is supposed to be accident free and they sold you a warranty that can't be used it should be a pretty clear case of fraud. Most likely they'll change their tune once they get served.

Oh, also tell them if you don't get this resolved to your satisfaction you plan on shopping the story around the local news outlets. Often they like to pick up stories of dealers screwing over customers. (Be careful to stick to the facts here.)
^what this one said.
I hope this wasn't Gunn Acura off I-10
Old 01-25-2013 | 12:27 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by geekybiker

Agree with geeky this is yoour best option. Gather all your paper work and if need be consult with a lawyer (usually the consulting is free so search around).
Old 01-25-2013 | 12:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

Damn that's f**ked up... She better not still work for them! lol.. But honestly you can't fight a claim on the basis of it being cpo'd meaning no accident because there's no such rule which states they can't sell a car with a prior accident as cpo'd. You can sue for the warranty being bs. And you can take them to court for wrong info and other such things. Good luck!
Depends. Does Acura claim as part of its CPO process that it is accident free?
http://www.acura.com/content/pdf/CPO_150pt.pdf

Says they check the VIN vs plates in several areas. Do yours match? Says they check for accident damage.

There may not be a law that says cpo has to be accident free but contract law doesn't need something to be illegal to be actionable. If they say the car is accident free as part of their process and missed something and you bought the car on the assumption that their checklist was accurate, you may have a claim. Worth trying to get some money for the diminished value. A CPO car sells for more than one that can't be certified CPO. The warranty thing should be a slam dunk on getting a refund.
Old 01-25-2013 | 01:04 PM
Pro

I mean unless he has proof stating it was sold to him as a accident free car yet it had an accident there's not much he can do about that. However if they say the accident was mentioned due to some bs reason several months later and they had no clue, in all honesty its who's words weigh more.. Get all the facts down, every paper that you have and file a claim in small claims court. Also I'd threaten the gm that you will take legal action and your already looking into news channels, trying to get your story heard on 7 on your side or help me howard or whatever they have in your area. No dealership wants negative publicity they will look at your issue and try to resolve it as soon as possible.
Old 01-25-2013 | 01:16 PM
Pro

I would call corporate, if your not happy, pay a lawyer to send them a nice looking letter threatening a few grand and they may decide to just make you happy.
Old 01-25-2013 | 09:16 PM
Instructor

probably irrelevant, but just an FYI in case it helps-- The "person in charge" at a stealership is actually the 'Finance Director", "Finance Manager", "CFO". The GM of the dealership is second beneath that. The 'General Sales Manager" is so far down in the true hierarchy, that the Parts Dept head and the Shop head mechanic can sometimes have more pull than they do (Sales guys are the most expendable, managers or not). So with that being said, don't waste too much time talking with the sales GM, he's going to keep trying to blow you off in order to keep his job.

Also, there's a thing about people that are really SERIOUS about filing suit and getting a legal settlement. They DON'T threaten to sue. Ever. (ok, sometimes, but those that do shouldn't). Why? Because they don't want the defendant in the suit to be able to prepare themselves, to start looking into ways to defend themselves or to deflect blame back onto the plaintiff. Typically when a shady business hears someone bellowing that they are going to sue, they usually know you won't.
And don't get a fancy attorney that requires a retainer, just 'Call Saul', pay the man to send a letter, and if that $350 doesn't get you anywhere then proceed with a suit that only pays back 'Saul' on a percentage of a winning settlement. My bet is, you'll get a call from the 'Finance" guy with a offer to make things right before Saul even has a chance to file suit.
Just my --I'm not an attorney or law student, so if anyone who is, that wants to correct my opinion go ahead!
Old 01-25-2013 | 10:09 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by 1black_seven
^what this one said.
I hope this wasn't Gunn Acura off I-10
Yup it was.
Old 01-25-2013 | 10:13 PM
UA6
Safety Car

Acura/Honda is slowly going to shit.
Old 01-25-2013 | 10:13 PM
Advanced

Thank you to everyone for all the help. We know there isn't much we can do about the accident thing it just really really SUCKED! We are weighing all of our options to see what we want to proceed with. Will update this whenever we find out what we are doing.
Old 04-02-2013 | 07:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

Any updates? It's been a few months
Old 04-02-2013 | 10:06 PM
Series Motor's

Wow man, that is horrible, I think that dealership gave you the run around. That virtually makes no sense.... and they are out right liars. Honestly, I would look into the whole matter and sue the dealership no lie.

They took that car you traded in, with an extended warranty and sold it for a pretty penny because you extended it. Nothing, came out of there pocket to get a guaranteed sale. Which is basically true if what your saying is accurate.
Old 04-03-2013 | 10:32 AM
TLicious Type S

Too bad. Depending on how much time you want to spend on this. I'd definitely lodge a complaint with Acura customer relations. You should be able to get your money back--you may need a lawyer.

Carfax also has a guarantee--you should look into that as well. It guarantees it's reports are correct, and has some remediations.
Old 04-03-2013 | 10:34 AM
Safety Car

+1 on the update
Old 10-23-2013 | 03:30 PM
Advanced

Just got back on the site and completely forgot about this thread

UPDATE: Really nothing happened to forward us getting our money back. We just bit the bullet and said it isn't worth all the fight. But i am loving my TL. Only 46000 miles on it and I am loving every mile of it. I decided to be stupid and pushed it to see how fast i could go one night and was pleased at the result but I won't be doing that again (I got the young and stupid out of my blood really quick) I have added rear lip on the window and trunk and looking to get new rims soon. I have to hold on on the suspension for a while because of my driveway. It is so slanted that i already come insanely close to scrapping at stock height! Sorry for the neglect of this website but i had to save money for college and this website would have made it impossible!!!
Old 10-23-2013 | 04:00 PM
Safety Car

Thx for the update

low and slow kid

no need to crash your car for speeding especially after all you have been through.
Old 10-23-2013 | 04:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

Sorry for the neglect of this website but i had to save money for college and this website would have made it impossible!!!
+

Really nothing happened to forward us getting our money back. We just bit the bullet and said it isn't worth all the fight.
=

?

Fight for your $ dude what they did aint right on any level...f* them.
Old 10-23-2013 | 05:32 PM
Drifting

I hope you're able to get some compensation for this. More importantly, I hope everyone who reads this thread learns the following:

1. Certified Pre-Owned, certified, inspected, "90 point inspection" and all that other bullcrap is just that - bullcrap. NEVER purchase a vehicle just because it's "Certified". The only thing all that bologna is intended for is to make a used vehicle sound better. At the end of the day, "Pre-Owned" just means "Used".

2. Extended Warranties are crap. I don't care if it's for a car, a dishwasher or a TV. They're all crap. They're a money making product based on statistics and probability. The probability is that you either won't use it, or that they'll find a way to get out of paying/covering you. Will you find someone who has benefited from an extended warranty? Of course. Just like you'll find someone who struck the jackpot at vegas or won the lottery. But for every person that benefited from an extended warranty, you'll find a half dozen that didn't. Again, it's a BIG money making product and usually pays large commissions to the salesperson who sold it to you - whether they be at Sears, Best Buy or a car dealership.
Old 10-23-2013 | 06:34 PM
Racer

Just got back on the site and completely forgot about this thread

UPDATE: Really nothing happened to forward us getting our money back. We just bit the bullet and said it isn't worth all the fight. But i am loving my TL. Only 46000 miles on it and I am loving every mile of it. I decided to be stupid and pushed it to see how fast i could go one night and was pleased at the result but I won't be doing that again (I got the young and stupid out of my blood really quick) I have added rear lip on the window and trunk and looking to get new rims soon. I have to hold on on the suspension for a while because of my driveway. It is so slanted that i already come insanely close to scrapping at stock height! Sorry for the neglect of this website but i had to save money for college and this website would have made it impossible!!!
I find it strange that you wouldn't go to small claims court over what clearly looks like a worthless $1,500 Extended Warranty you bought. You're out $1,500 dollars - that's real money.
Old 10-23-2013 | 07:30 PM
I like turtles

Originally Posted by losiglow
I hope you're able to get some compensation for this. More importantly, I hope everyone who reads this thread learns the following:

1. Certified Pre-Owned, certified, inspected, "90 point inspection" and all that other bullcrap is just that - bullcrap. NEVER purchase a vehicle just because it's "Certified". The only thing all that bologna is intended for is to make a used vehicle sound better. At the end of the day, "Pre-Owned" just means "Used".

2. Extended Warranties are crap. I don't care if it's for a car, a dishwasher or a TV. They're all crap. They're a money making product based on statistics and probability. The probability is that you either won't use it, or that they'll find a way to get out of paying/covering you. Will you find someone who has benefited from an extended warranty? Of course. Just like you'll find someone who struck the jackpot at vegas or won the lottery. But for every person that benefited from an extended warranty, you'll find a half dozen that didn't. Again, it's a BIG money making product and usually pays large commissions to the salesperson who sold it to you - whether they be at Sears, Best Buy or a car dealership.

As far as im aware of you cant call it a certified pre-owned if its been wrecked. so that is a shady dealer practice.

Quick Reply: I don't know what to do....Please Read