3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I didn't catch 3 paint chips on rear bumper!

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 03:14 PM
all stocker

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I didn't catch 3 paint chips on rear bumper!

Can anyone help my sanity and just tell me if this is senseless. But we've only owned our new TL for one day and today, I noticed there are three paint chips on the rear bumper and the dealership had used touch-up paint to hide it. Needless to say, it was a poor touch-up job.

It really ruins your new car purchase experience. Is this something I should mention to the dealership? Of course, it was my fault for not catching it before I brought it home.

Three paint chips... about 1/8" to 3/16" in size. Should I just let this go? Eventually... the bumper will take some beating. But after one day?

I'm just annoyed that I didn't catch it before making the final payment and taking delivery yesterday.
Old 10-03-2006, 03:22 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would. If it was touched up, then someone noticed it and it wasn't your fault.

Good Luck!
Old 10-03-2006, 03:24 PM
Instructor

I would definately go to the dealer. Ask them nicely to fix it correctly. If they refuse then tell them you're cancelling the purchase and hand them the keys back.
Old 10-03-2006, 09:09 PM
DEG
Advanced

Get a clear bra NOW!
Old 10-03-2006, 09:18 PM
all stocker

I left a message for the sales consultant.. but I believe he is out of town for a couple days.

I'm trying to get over it... but I'm more disappointed that I did not catch it. I had plenty of time to look it over and yet I did not.

Is there a way to repair the chips without repainting the entire bumper?
Old 10-03-2006, 09:49 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The dealer should make good on it.
Old 10-03-2006, 10:08 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Acura Sensei
I left a message for the sales consultant.. but I believe he is out of town for a couple days.

I'm trying to get over it... but I'm more disappointed that I did not catch it. I had plenty of time to look it over and yet I did not.

Is there a way to repair the chips without repainting the entire bumper?
Not in a "quality" way that you would be satisfied with. They could easily "blend" the area in but you would most likely have issues with clear coat peeling / color match in the days/months to come...

Do not just get over it.. Mentally/emotionally yes, (I would have had your same feelings) but you need to be back at the dealer tomorrow asap. I would go straight to the general manager etc.. As mentioned, professionally tell them the "touch-up" job is unacceptable for your new car purchase and ask them to make it right. If they give you a line of BS about how you shouldn't repaint it -which is somewhat true (the fact it could look worse when finished-though shouldn't), tell them they need to compensate you for a damaged new car. Not necessarily cash but something like mudflaps, floor mats, trunk liner, decklid spoiler etc..
To repaint the bumper - done right is probably a 4-5 hour job with R & R. That's near $500 in labor and shop materials. Granted their "net" cost is less so factor that in to what they should compensate you for when discussing "other than paint" items.

Bottom line, whether really bad or not its the principle that the car was not right at time of purchase. You may even want to get ACS involved.. I myself would not give the dealer an inch.

Good luck
Old 10-03-2006, 10:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by mrodriques
I would definately go to the dealer. Ask them nicely to fix it correctly. If they refuse then tell them you're cancelling the purchase and hand them the keys back.

I like this suggestion better...
Old 10-04-2006, 08:37 AM
all stocker

Originally Posted by coykiam
I like this suggestion better...
I prefer not to come to that point... afterall, we do love the vehicle. And there is no other RBP in stock... unless we start over and search at other dealerships.

Also, I like this dealership and would prefer to maintain good relations.

My sales consultant is out of town I believe... but I will get in touch with the general sales manager.

My wife doesn't want to make a big deal out of it, and neither do I. However, it is as KJSMITTY had stated... it's the principle of the issue. In a way, I feel as if I purchased a new vehicle is that substandard due to the minor damages already incurred.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Also, what other rights do we have as consumers? I would like to avoid returning this vehicle and canceling the purchase.
Old 10-04-2006, 09:08 AM
Retired and Loving It

Take it back ASAP. Talk to the manager, don't wait for your salesman. The sooner you act the faster it will be repaired. Most dealers know of shops that do minor paint repairs to their new and used cars.

My wife put a 1"X 8" scratch on our 05 RL bumper. It went completely through the pearl white paint to the base materal. I took it to a guy that came highly recommended to me by a Subaru service manager. He mostly does minor paint repairs on BMW and MBs for the local dealers. He filled the area painted it with three coats of paint and clearcoated it. Three days later he buffed the area, it matched perfectly. He only charged me $125. A real bargin compared to a body shop which wanted $500 to paint the whole bumper.
Old 10-04-2006, 11:08 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
I prefer not to come to that point... afterall, we do love the vehicle. And there is no other RBP in stock... unless we start over and search at other dealerships.

Also, I like this dealership and would prefer to maintain good relations.

My sales consultant is out of town I believe... but I will get in touch with the general sales manager.

My wife doesn't want to make a big deal out of it, and neither do I. However, it is as KJSMITTY had stated... it's the principle of the issue. In a way, I feel as if I purchased a new vehicle is that substandard due to the minor damages already incurred.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Also, what other rights do we have as consumers? I would like to avoid returning this vehicle and canceling the purchase.
well, if they refuse or give you a hard time you can still return the purchase and cancel it. And you can go to another dealer and get the same color you want...but thats if they give you a hard time or refuse. Sorry for not being clear on that first post, I too love the car as much as any person in here and would hate to return it.
Old 10-13-2006, 02:45 PM
all stocker

Just wanted to update everyone.... the dealership was extremely professional with my problem. They had acknowledged the fact that they were aware of the minor chips when it came from the factory, but that info was not relayed to the sales consultant.

Regardless, they were professional and took care of the damaged bumper. Quite frankly, it was minor... but it was the principle of buying a new car and expecting a perfectly new car.

It looks great. Now, I just need to learn how to post pics for you guys! But who needs to see another stock RBP TL.

We're in love with this vehicle and looking forward to many years of ownership!
Old 10-13-2006, 03:30 PM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
Congrats!

How To Post Pictures
Old 10-13-2006, 03:48 PM
all stocker

Old 10-13-2006, 03:49 PM
all stocker

sorry, i was just testing. thanks datmrman.

i'll post them in the photo gallery under RBP.
Old 10-13-2006, 06:27 PM
Instructor

Just wanted to update everyone.... the dealership was extremely professional with my problem. They had acknowledged the fact that they were aware of the minor chips when it came from the factory, but that info was not relayed to the sales consultant.

Regardless, they were professional and took care of the damaged bumper. Quite frankly, it was minor... but it was the principle of buying a new car and expecting a perfectly new car.

It looks great. Now, I just need to learn how to post pics for you guys! But who needs to see another stock RBP TL.

We're in love with this vehicle and looking forward to many years of ownership!
That's great bud! I'm glad to hear that it worked out for you and the dealer did the right thing. Good Luck with your new car, I hope you enjoy it as much as I'm enjoying mine.

Regards