Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I Did It!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2005, 04:22 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I Did It!!!!

I picked up my NPB/Ebony MT with Nav on Wednesday and I love it. Unfortunately it was pouring when I received it and it is dirty but it handled perfectly on the rain and which just proved that I made the right choice. I do have a few questions though.

1. The stereo sounds great and I already purchased a bunch of the DVD-Audio and DTS CD's. It seems that the stereo is not going as loud as it should. I am able to max out the volume which is something that I have never been able to do on any of my systems. Is this what everybody is finding?

2. Is there a way to get one of the power ports to work when the car is off?

3. Is there a way to disconnect the phone from the handsfree witha control from the car. In other words, if my phone is connected to the system and in the console, is there something I can do to unlink it?

4. Is there a way to turn off the NAV screen and have it blank?

5. It is in desparate need of a washing and am wondering what is the best method. There is a very good car wash in my area. Should I bring it there? Should I wash it by hand? I am trying not to get the swirls that show up in black cars. Any advice?

Thanks to all in advance and I hope to be around here alot.
Old 07-29-2005, 05:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 708 Likes on 325 Posts
To "unlink" the phone from the car's Handsfree Link, just shut off the Bluetooth function on your phone.

As for washing your car, under NO circumstances should you take your TL (or any other car for that matter) to a public, mechanical carwash. If you just want to clean your car, without going to the trouble of waxing it, just get a bottle of Meguiar's Gold Class Car Wash Shampoo & Conditioner and wash it yourself.
Old 07-29-2005, 05:13 PM
Advanced

Hey, congrats on the new ride. I picked up the exact same config last week. I actually also have the same question about the volume of the radio...it doesn't seem like it really goes all that loud. Wonder if there is some sort of governor??
Old 07-29-2005, 05:13 PM
Instructor

go back to the dealership and demand that they detail it for you. they are supposed to detail it when you buy it.
Old 07-29-2005, 05:14 PM
Instructor

go back to the dealership and demand that they detail it for you. they are supposed to detail it when you buy it.

for the power ports, you will drain the battery if it is left on. there are ways, but u are going to need to rewire a bunch of stuff.
Old 07-29-2005, 07:19 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by empathy
They did. It was done perfectley when i got there however, after i took delivery it started to pour and poured for the rest of the day and night....hence... a dirty car.
Old 07-29-2005, 07:21 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by SebringSilver
To "unlink" the phone from the car's Handsfree Link, just shut off the Bluetooth function on your phone.

As for washing your car, under NO circumstances should you take your TL (or any other car for that matter) to a public, mechanical carwash. If you just want to clean your car, without going to the trouble of waxing it, just get a bottle of Meguiar's Gold Class Car Wash Shampoo & Conditioner and wash it yourself.
That sounds liike a good idea. What should I do in the winter. There is a really good car wash near me that washes a lot of high end cars, is that place safe?

Since the car was just detailed, does it need to be waxed yet? What is a good wax?
Old 07-29-2005, 07:55 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by SebringSilver

I know I can do that. I was wondering if there is any way to do it without haveing to get the phone from where it is. I usually just leave it in the console.
Old 07-29-2005, 08:22 PM
Pro

meguiars has a great line of products. for wax, i prefer their gold class liquid wax, easy on, easy off
Old 07-29-2005, 08:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 85 Likes on 37 Posts
Who makes DVD audio CD's? I know we have this in our TL's but I never know who makes the CD's.
Old 07-29-2005, 08:45 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by plastikman
Who makes DVD audio CD's? I know we have this in our TL's but I never know who makes the CD's.
Not sure what company makes them but I can look. Just bought 3 today.

Eagles
Police
Grateful Dead

Already had:
Steely Dan

they sound great.

LOOK HERE
Old 07-29-2005, 08:58 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 85 Likes on 37 Posts
Thanks alot
Old 07-29-2005, 09:06 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[QUOTE=jeeper31]I picked up my NPB/Ebony MT with Nav on Wednesday and I love it. Unfortunately it was pouring when I received it and it is dirty but it handled perfectly on the rain and which just proved that I made the right choice. I do have a few questions though.

1. The stereo sounds great and I already purchased a bunch of the DVD-Audio and DTS CD's. It seems that the stereo is not going as loud as it should. I am able to max out the volume which is something that I have never been able to do on any of my systems. Is this what everybody is finding?

3. Is there a way to disconnect the phone from the handsfree witha control from the car. In other words, if my phone is connected to the system and in the console, is there something I can do to unlink it?

[FONT=Arial Black] The only way I can think of is to turn off the bluetooth option on your phone.

If you don't press the "OK" button on the nav screen when you start the car, then it will go blank automatically. Othewise, just press the "audio" button and it will display the audio stations instead of the nav screen.

5. It is in desparate need of a washing and am wondering what is the best method. There is a very good car wash in my area. Should I bring it there? Should I wash it by hand? I am trying not to get the swirls that show up in black cars. Any advice?

As others have said, DO NOT go to a mechanical car wash! The best way to keep your NBP paint swirl free is to do the washing yourself but be sure to use the right kind of wash mits and towels. Good microfiber mits and towels will help in reducing the scratching/swirling. Just remember, it's impossible to keep your black paint perfect!

IMHO the best wax/polish/sealant is Zaino. If you're not familiar with the product visit http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc However, it's not a product you can purchase at a regular store - internet only.

In my experience the best waxes you can buy at the local auto store have been the Meguires line of products and a carnauba wax called s100. You can get s100 at any Harley Davidson Motorcycle store. The deepness of the shine is second to none but its durability isn't the best. Zaino, on the other hand, has a very high gloss and lasts longer than any other wax/sealant/polish I've ever used.

If you're willing to put in some time and research about taking care of your car paint (i.e. detailing), I highly recommend looking through the forums at www.autopia.com. These guys are detailing nuts and know just about everything about the topic.

I have NBP too. Have you noticed the bit of blue in the "pearl" of the paint? I really like that feature of the NBP! Congratulations on your new purchase and enjoy it!
Old 07-29-2005, 10:06 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1 - I am not able to MAX out my stereo without damaging my hearing. What number value do you get it up to?

2 - Do a Search on this forum - there is a way to accomplish it with a mod.

3 - Read the manual for the unlinking procedure

4 - Do not press the OK button on the nag screen and the screen will go blank. Alternatively, press the AUDIO button so you have a visual of the audio system instead.

5 - Read the Wash sub-forum for lots of advice on that subject.

And welcome to the club for the best valued car!!!!

Originally Posted by jeeper31
I picked up my NPB/Ebony MT with Nav on Wednesday and I love it. Unfortunately it was pouring when I received it and it is dirty but it handled perfectly on the rain and which just proved that I made the right choice. I do have a few questions though.

Old 07-30-2005, 07:57 AM
Drifting

Zaino is definately the way to go. Read any of the detailing forums and you'll find those guys have tried everything and always seem to prefer Zaino. I used to use Sovereign Pinnacle Carnuba wax until I found Zaino. The difference in gloss and durability is unbelievable. It's a little more work to get and use the stuff, but in the end you'll be glad you did.
Old 07-30-2005, 08:09 AM
Instructor

Is there any reason not to wax a car I just got? IF I remember correctly when I bought a new truck I was told it was not necessary to wax it right away.
Old 07-30-2005, 10:30 AM
Intermediate

They should have them at your local music store or do a search on the internet. They have them at Amazon.com
Old 07-30-2005, 10:32 AM
Intermediate

The stereo does not go very loud. This is probably done to preserve your hearing. LOL
Old 07-30-2005, 10:52 AM
Safety Car

Just run a search for DVD-A and you'll come up with a number of threads like your favorite DVD-A or Where to buy DVD-A. Or if you're feeling productive, check out this thread by Adobeman on "Free DVD-A Project". It explains how to make your own DVD-A discs with free apps. It works! FYI, it's not 5.1 surround.
Old 07-30-2005, 10:57 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Protect it now!

Is there any reason not to wax a car I just got? IF I remember correctly when I bought a new truck I was told it was not necessary to wax it right away.
Just like you used to protect your car paint 10-20 years ago, now you need to protect your clearcoat. There's no need to let it cure any longer that it already has.
Old 07-30-2005, 11:42 AM
Safety Car

My on waxing a new car. It won't hurt it and it will give you extra protection. As to what product, that is definetly a personal call. Polymers are the way to go. They are easy to use and maintain, and have the durability. No doubt you will hear a bunch of product names like Zaino, Meguiar's, Klasse, Pinnacle, Four Star, Wolfgang and the list can go on and on. I'm not gonna BS you and say one is better or that one is best. Visit the Wash and Wax forum to get an idea what folks are using and what they say about the products. Zaino is popular among the members and so is Meguiar's NXT. Klasse AIO and SG is another one that gets mentioned. More recently, Blackfire and Four Star UPP. The bottom line is use whatever product that will give you the result you are lookng for. Unfortunately, there is more to it than that and you see that we are a bunch of fanatics when it comes to how our TL looks.
Old 07-30-2005, 12:14 PM
Instructor

ARe there any products to stay away from?
Old 07-30-2005, 12:41 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Just this past March, I had a discussion with a man who owns a premium body shop in my area. He tells his customers NOT to wax a new car or a new quality paint job for at least 6 weeks because the new paint will go through a process of curing and settling. So give it a little time.

As for commercial car wash operations, only use the "touchless" ones.. the ones which use no brushes or rags which contact the car's surface.

As for a wax that goes on easy and comes off easy, and does a very good job, try McQuair's Gold Class Paste wax.

Congrats and enjoy!
Old 07-30-2005, 01:35 PM
I love cars!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
SouthernBoy, I think that's true but most new cars have been on the lot that long so it's not typically a concern. Just check the build date in teh door jamb.
Old 07-30-2005, 02:26 PM
6MT & LSD

I thought the new cars's paint goes through a "baking" process at the factory, which eliminates the extra time needed for the paint to cure.

Stay away from Armor All interior wipes...

NBP needs to be hand washed or if you must go through automatic washes, take SouthernBoy's advice. Swirl marks and streaks on your NBP will make you wanna cry.

Enjoy!