Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hustled by the Acura. Hustle back?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 11:33 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hustled by the Acura. Hustle back?

Picked up my 08 on Xmas Eve. Guy called me the day before and told me he was ready to deal and that he had to get the last one off the lot. And it was a sweet deal, so I drove off with my non-Navi ride. Went back up there Wednesday and saw a white one on the lot. Figured it was used due to it being with the other used cars. Went on the website to see if they had updated and removed my car from the page. It was still there, but so was the Navi-equipped white one. I was bamboozled into getting the non when I would have been more than willing to wheel and deal for the Navi.

Now, my TL has 1000+ miles (holiday roadtrip) and my wife doesn't like white. Think the dealership would be willing to upgrade the system? I know it wouldn't be free, but maybe at a discount since it wasn't "offered" to me in the beginning. Now would be the best time to inquire since the mileage is still low and it's still within 30 days of purchase (pending they have some kind of program as such). Think I got a chance?
Old 01-04-2009, 12:16 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think you have a chance. Just keep the miles off. A while back my Dad got a Black RSX-S and decided he didn't want to deal with the Black. A week later he brought it back and they swapped him for a different color. Took some talking to the right people, but they did it.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:45 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So let me see if I got this straight. You went to the dealer to buy a car with Navi in a color other than white and you end up buying a white non-navi car.

How the heck does something like that happen?

It is going to cost a lot to upgrade the system. Others have done it on this site but there is good chance that the dealer may not know what it takes to get it done or how much to charge to do it. Most folks that want Navi buy it with the car.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:01 AM
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
One thing's for sure... They will NOT take the car back. Once a car has been titled, it loses $5k in value immediately.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:37 AM
Racer

If I am reading it correctly, the OP is saying that the dealer stated they did not have ANY other brand new TL's. If they do in fact have a new one now that was there when you were originally there, you could try and return the car citing fraud. I would just try and return the car first. Seeing the deal undone is their worst nightmare and they might be more lenient on adding a nav system to your car after trying to return it first.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:46 AM
200,000 mile club

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by bmaczo6
So let me see if I got this straight. You went to the dealer to buy a car with Navi in a color other than white and you end up buying a white non-navi car.

How the heck does something like that happen?

It is going to cost a lot to upgrade the system. Others have done it on this site but there is good chance that the dealer may not know what it takes to get it done or how much to charge to do it. Most folks that want Navi buy it with the car.
It's impossible for the dealer to do that. People have done this Non-navi to navi conversion (including me for a friend) but that will never happen from a dealer.

Sounds like you bought something without really doing your homework. I would remain calm when you go to the dealership, talk with your saleman and explain to him what you want to do. Do your homework on the numbers and hope for the best. Dealers really aren't willing to do anything unless you pay more for the other car. Are you willing to pay more?
Old 01-04-2009, 11:14 AM
Race Director

Received 1,794 Likes on 1,347 Posts
Originally Posted by ciscopath
Picked up my 08 on Xmas Eve. Guy called me the day before and told me he was ready to deal and that he had to get the last one off the lot. And it was a sweet deal, so I drove off with my non-Navi ride. Went back up there Wednesday and saw a white one on the lot. Figured it was used due to it being with the other used cars. Went on the website to see if they had updated and removed my car from the page. It was still there, but so was the Navi-equipped white one. I was bamboozled into getting the non when I would have been more than willing to wheel and deal for the Navi.

Now, my TL has 1000+ miles (holiday roadtrip) and my wife doesn't like white. Think the dealership would be willing to upgrade the system? I know it wouldn't be free, but maybe at a discount since it wasn't "offered" to me in the beginning. Now would be the best time to inquire since the mileage is still low and it's still within 30 days of purchase (pending they have some kind of program as such). Think I got a chance?
You're probably screwed. Why did you even buy white if you wife doesn't like white? You obviously didn't bring her along for the purchase. Good luck with that issue.

Your only out with the dealer may be if you can prove that you specifically told them you wanted an 08 with navi and the salesman told you they didn't have any. But it's a long shot and you bought the non-navi in a color that your wife doesn't like, so sorry to say, it doesn't sound like you did your homework or consulted with you significant other before making a major purchase.

Why didn't you try Dallas dealers? I couldn't stand the sales department at the Shreveport Acura dealer and they wouldn't deal anyhow. I went to Dallas and got a great!
Old 01-04-2009, 11:20 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
go talk in person with the SALES MANAGER

Salesmen will say anything to sell a car-
perhaps someone else had a pending deal on the other car,,,so it wasnt `available` at the time
or the white one had an extra commission bonus to sell its plain non navi self~
or the salesman was too lazy to look up their current stock

online varies- the person that updates the website may be days or weeks behind..it doesnt hurt them to appear to have more selection....
then sell you what they really have
Old 01-04-2009, 11:23 AM
Team Owner

this is a great example of `Always take a trusted friend with you`

Its their job to remind you of exactly what you want and accept nothing less.
If this dealer doesnt have it ,or immediatly check with other dealers to do a transfer with...you walk out the door

once you sign-- its over basically
Old 01-04-2009, 12:04 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hmm... I turned down the navi system on my 2008 even though they told me I could have it for $1,100. I know your wife doesn't care for the color, but if it's a navi system you're after, you can do MUCH better aftermarket and have the added benefits of: 1) paying about 1/4 of the price, and 2) portability to other vehicles.

I agree with what others have said: unless you want to trade in that car at a significant loss they probably won't take it back even on a swap for a more expensive one. We're just a bunch of dudes on an internet message board, though. You have nothing to lose but your time by speaking with their sales manager as 01tl4tl suggested.

Please update the thread letting us know what happens if you do end-up going that route.
Old 01-04-2009, 12:42 PM
ROFLCOPTER!

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
this is a great example of `Always take a trusted friend with you`

Its their job to remind you of exactly what you want and accept nothing less.
If this dealer doesnt have it ,or immediatly check with other dealers to do a transfer with...you walk out the door

once you sign-- its over basically
This is sage advice.
Old 01-04-2009, 01:45 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Your basically screwed at this point.
Old 01-04-2009, 01:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Old 01-04-2009, 02:16 PM
Instructor

You are going to lose money. Leave it alone
Old 01-04-2009, 02:21 PM
Racer

With all due respect, this is your fault. You essentially let them talk you into buying a car you didn't want. NEVER take someone else's word or let them influence you when it comes to decisions on major purchases, ESPECIALLY a salesman. If you wanted Navi, you should have never discussed pricing on a non-navi car.

You should have done your research before you walked into the dealership and had the price YOU were willing to pay in mind on the car YOU want. If you leave the negotiating up to the dealership, you are leaving yourself open to getting hustled. Even if they didn't have any Navi's in stock, they could have gotten one for you in a color you wanted from another dealership.

Being an educated consumer makes you your own best friend. I would use this as a learning experience and never let it happen to me again.
Old 01-04-2009, 02:23 PM
Instructor

Buy something like this:
http://www.navigadget.com/index.php/...avel-pilot-700
Old 01-04-2009, 02:52 PM
Unregistered User

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
First off, what's wrong with white??? Make the best of the situation and know you got a TL that stands out from the silvers and blacks. I probably paid more for my new 08 w/ Navi back in Oct (30.5k) but it was exactly the car I wanted. Price you have to pay I guess.

It's worth a shot to talk to the dealer though. Can't hurt. But do more research. Also, be sure that the other one is in fact available otherwise all of this is moot.
Old 01-04-2009, 03:28 PM
07 TL-S

^^ yeah if i didnt get KBP i definitely woulda got white
Old 01-04-2009, 04:30 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Trew
One thing's for sure... They will NOT take the car back. Once a car has been titled, it loses $5k in value immediately.

add that to the other 5K from driving off the lot, making a right turn and an immediate left.... you're screwed
Old 01-04-2009, 05:24 PM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

Well, you now have a 1-year old USED car (1K miles = used) and 2008 is (afterall) last years model so you can probably trade but it WILL be treated as a completely new deal so get ready to endure some pain if you to decide to try this. Buyers remorse, huh?
Old 01-04-2009, 05:26 PM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

Originally Posted by cotmfk
If I am reading it correctly, the OP is saying that the dealer stated they did not have ANY other brand new TL's. If they do in fact have a new one now that was there when you were originally there, you could try and return the car citing fraud. I would just try and return the car first. Seeing the deal undone is their worst nightmare and they might be more lenient on adding a nav system to your car after trying to return it first.
Not a chance in HELLO of getting this through ANY court. They can SAY anything they want. It's the buyer's responsibility to perform due diligence. Who's to say that the NAVI one wasn't already sold to someone else who changed their mind and now it's back on the lot?

Once he SIGNED his name on the purchase agreement, it didn't matter WHAT else happened (other than failing financing). He committed AT THAT time and THAT was his mistake. Oh well, too late now.

Last edited by ndabunka; 01-04-2009 at 05:29 PM.
Old 01-04-2009, 05:44 PM
Racer

wow, I wish I had gotten back to this thread before all the mis-information started flying. Let me clear it up

The color of my TL is ASM which I love. I bought it because it was a Honda (high-end), loved the body styling, and its rarity here in the South. Navi was never a selling point. I didn't even know the car came with it until after I bought it. I'm more than happy with my Garmin. I wasn't "screwed" out of anything.

And please stop calling me a bad husband. They couldn't reach me, so it was my wife they called and told they were ready to deal. She in turn, told me. It was my wife that even noticed the white one on
the lot when we went back. Man, I'm just 5 months married. You married men know I'm still in the period where I can't buy a new pair of shoes without consutling her first....HA

Yeah, I guess it is my fault for "trusting" a salesmen. But hey, before Acura called back, we (or should I say "I") were about to settle on an 09 Honda Accord which I despise with a passion. If the Honda dealership hadn't been closed Xmas Eve, I would have ended up in that. So yeah, I was a little anxious and relieved.

It was never a deal breaker. Just wanted ya guys opinion on Acura and how willing they are to accomodate their "new" customers.
Figured if I went in their all sad-looking, they might cut me a break and install it. Navis on eBay advertise that the dealership will charge up to 10,000 to install it. May be a ridiculous price, but I didn't want to pay more than I would have paid if I had just bought that one. If you guys believe my chances are nil (of getting Navi installed, not switching out for the white), then it's all good. I'm still gonna go, but I'll just be more mentally prepared if the answer is no.
Old 01-04-2009, 05:48 PM
Racer

And going back over all the replies, I'm really trying to find the words where I said "I hate my non-Navi car. And my wife is screaming down my neck because it's white. They cheated me. I should have some kind of legal standing, right?"..........LOL

And you're right, nfnsquared. Guys at work recommended me going to Jackson, MS because the ORR Acura dealership had an "high and mighty" attitude which they did. When we initially went, they got JP with OCD (that's what he called himself) from the Infinity dealership across the street to show us a car. My wife and I took that as a slap in the face and said we wouldn't go back. And we wouldn't have, but they offered 2.9% interest rate, so we gladly rolled off the lot cursing them the entire time...lol
Old 01-04-2009, 06:11 PM
Advanced

Now that you've clarified some things, I'd suggest that you don't waste your time at the dealer, and instead focus on the good deal on a great car you just got.

As others have written, dealers don't usually do Navi upgrades, and if they do, it's very expensive. $2000?

Since you're happy with your Garmin, have the color you love, and haven't ticked off your wife, it sounds like you're all set.
Old 01-04-2009, 06:13 PM
Too Fast TOO FURIOUS

Old 01-04-2009, 06:22 PM
Race Director

Received 1,794 Likes on 1,347 Posts
wow, I wish I had gotten back to this thread before all the mis-information started flying. Let me clear it up

The color of my TL is ASM which I love....
Ah, OK, now I understand. You were considering upgrading to navi, which the white TL on the lot had, but wifey doesn't like white, so that led you to ask about adding navi to your ASM...got it. Not sure where the bamboozled fits in, but glad you're fairly content with what you have now.

And you're right, nfnsquared. Guys at work recommended me going to Jackson, MS because the ORR Acura dealership had an "high and mighty" attitude which they did. When we initially went, they got JP with OCD (that's what he called himself) from the Infinity dealership across the street to show us a car. My wife and I took that as a slap in the face and said we wouldn't go back. And we wouldn't have, but they offered 2.9% interest rate, so we gladly rolled off the lot cursing them the entire time...lol
Orr, yeah that's it, couldn't remember. Sounds like they haven't changed in over 5 years. I bought my 04 in Nov of 2003 in Dallas after trying to deal with Orr. Even gave them internet quotes from Dallas dealers that beat them by over $1K and they would'nt budge, not even meet me half way. So I did the deal when I was home on Thanksgiving leave and then brought my TL into Orr for them to do the seat memory TSB. Boy, were they pissed! Oh well, they had their chance...

Good luck with the ASM, it's not WDP, but it'll do in a pinch if your wife doesn't like the best color of TL
Old 01-04-2009, 07:27 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by nfnsquared
wifey doesn't like white, so that led you to ask about adding navi to your ASM...got it. Not sure where the bamboozled fits in
It's not that she hates the color white. We went in with zero color preference but now that we have ASM, she leans toward white showing dirt easier. But if JP with OCD had told us that he had one with Navi, we would have gotten it just for the "wow cool" factor. Just weird that he said the ASM was the last one. Perhaps bamboozled was too strong a word. "Shenanigans", maybe?

And yeah, ORR sucked service-wise. Maybe if I pulled up in my Mercedes Benz towing my sailboat, I would have gotten a little more respect
Old 01-04-2009, 07:35 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,210 Posts
OP- ya know, if the dealer says no to your request, you can do a non-navi to navi conversion on your own.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:13 PM
Racer

^^yeah, I've read the "how-to" on it. But after buying a brand new 1000 bux HU, doing all the wiring and then redoing all the wiring because I know I'll miss something initially, and before doing anything of that, justifying to the wife why I feel the need to gut the dash of our brand new, warranty-covered vehicle (which she made me take back to the dealership the same day we bought it because the lock which holds down the battery cover broke off), the headache would be too great. I'll just go another route, or wait 5 yrs/ 50,000 miles.
Old 01-05-2009, 01:13 AM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
Just for future thought. You can do almost 100% research from the comfort of your home via internet these days. Unless you just like impluse buying and accepting 'facts' from salespeople, try it next time.

Research does take some of the surprise factor away though. Congratulations on your new marriage and new car.
Old 01-05-2009, 01:44 AM
Racer

RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT
Old 01-05-2009, 05:15 AM
Team Owner

you can get really nice portable nav units for 200 now, or a dash installed unit with stereo unit for 500
Acuras system isnt that great, and has to be updated every few years at 150-200$ for the new drive disc- with info thats less than the most current~

Portables have ones you can plug into the home computer and load its newest street changes, often free for a year then nominal charge-
but by then a better gps for the same price will be out...
Old 01-05-2009, 06:14 AM
Racer

First you need to understand the dealer and Acura are not the same thing. Acura played no role in this purchase other than to sell a car to the dealer which you bought. Second, it does not sound like the dealer did anything wrong. Third, the dealer did not finance the car. The 2.9% rate you were quoted was likely supplied by Honda Finance and would have been available from other dealers as well.

You went in to a dealer without doing any homework and seem upset that they did not do a very good job of educating you. Consider this a lesson learned, and next time, read everything you can on the model you are looking at before you step on to the dealers lot.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:08 AM
Advanced

I think you are pretty much screwed. The dealer might do a trade in on the car. But you are going to take a big hit on it. Some states do require the dealership to have a 3 day return period though, but you are pass that. Well let us know what happens.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:58 AM
Nismo TL yo!

Is this the wife's car? If not, tell her to cram it. Its your car, you should be able to get whatever you want (within reasons of practicality and price) and do whatever you want to it.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:49 AM
Under construction

Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts
Give it a try and see if they will work something out with you ..I know CARMAX will take a car back within 30 days of purchase for any reason...so they say.
Old 01-05-2009, 03:30 PM
dj5
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
The car has been titled and has 1000 + miles on it. It is now a used car. The only way the dealer would take it back would be as a used car trade-in with a big hit in depreciation. This sound like a bit of buyer's remorse rather than anything the dealer did wrong. They didn't force the buyer into making the purchase. If the buyer wanted Navi, he should have shopped around until he found the vehicle. At this point, just relax and enjoy your new vehicle.
Old 01-05-2009, 03:45 PM
08 TL-S NBP

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
See if you can pull a tech off to the side and see if you can make a deal with them. They can lower the miles on your car for you. It won't be cheap but you will probably have a really good chance for them to say yes! If the other options done work.
Old 01-05-2009, 05:06 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by dj5
The car has been titled and has 1000 + miles on it. It is now a used car. The only way the dealer would take it back would be as a used car trade-in with a big hit in depreciation. This sound like a bit of buyer's remorse rather than anything the dealer did wrong. They didn't force the buyer into making the purchase. If the buyer wanted Navi, he should have shopped around until he found the vehicle. At this point, just relax and enjoy your new vehicle.
Trade in?? When did I say that I didn't want my car? Buyers remorse?? Life will not come to an end because I have to look at the Garmin screen above the radio instead of directly at the radio. Let me see if I can give an example of how little I care about the Navi.

"I could have added cheese to my burger? Ah well, I'll remember next time"

Not knowing about the Nav is on the same level as not knowing I couldn't have added cheese to my combo. I didnt "do any homework" because the Nav was never a selling. In fact, the only homework i did was make sure it was a 3.2 so I could supercharge it. Nothing else mattered. And I never said the dealership did me wrong. Just weird that said it was the last one.
Old 01-05-2009, 05:11 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Lower the miles? Ah yes, deceitfulness. Works all the time.