Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many TL owners under the age of 21?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 01:35 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
Originally Posted by AcuraTL Lover
I'm a 18 year old female who drives an 2007Acura TL..
18.. how you doin' sweetie.

The following 2 users liked this post by Majofo:
I hate cars (11-25-2013), i_love_cars (11-25-2013)
Old 11-25-2013, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by I hate cars
I've owned the TL since it was a brand new $39k car, not a 6-10yr old $10k car so no jealousy here.
I wish I could get $10k for it. Might as well drive it into the ground at this point.
Old 11-25-2013, 01:38 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by Majofo
18.. how you doin' sweetie.

You're awesome!
Old 11-25-2013, 01:41 PM
Team Owner

I wish I could get $10k for it. Might as well drive it into the ground at this point.
Same here. I missed the window of opportunity a couple years ago. Now even if I get a new car I'm not selling the TL.
Old 11-25-2013, 02:13 PM

I'm going to get in trouble one of these days.. lol. Not by the law, but by the wife, or that girl's father.

Old 11-25-2013, 02:15 PM

Same here. I missed the window of opportunity a couple years ago. Now even if I get a new car I'm not selling the TL.
Same here.

But I've saved a lot since paying off the TL, and insurance is super low as well. I think the next car will be a cash purchase since the TL is saving me a lot of money at this point.

What to buy though.. that's the big decision.
Old 11-25-2013, 02:22 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Giggity
Old 11-25-2013, 02:34 PM
Team Owner

Same here.

But I've saved a lot since paying off the TL, and insurance is super low as well. I think the next car will be a cash purchase since the TL is saving me a lot of money at this point.

What to buy though.. that's the big decision.
I think we have similar taste. CTS-V is my goal. Maybe a slightly used 1yr old one if I can find one with ultra low miles. If not, new it is.

I had plans to buy a new car 3 years ago but the TL is costing me nothing beside the damn stereo upgrades I can't seem to stop buying. The additional $700 a month is nice and the car is in such good shape I feel guilty every time I think about spending money on a new one. I remember when over 100k miles the car was considered old and worn out. This one is just getting started. If I don't hurry up and change the timing belt I bought 20,000 miles ago that will all change.

A little off topic but with the way the economy is going I would almost rather take out a loan which I would have to do on something like the V anyway. All cash should go to guns and ammo and food lol.
The following users liked this post:
Majofo (11-25-2013)
Old 11-25-2013, 04:29 PM
Ricer Killer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Honda has the best when all things are considered but also in outright handling. The TL is going to be more composed than the Civic at the limit thanks to double wishbones in the front and the Honda 5 link in the rear. The double wishbone setup costs more and can take longer to service and has more parts. But, it's having your cake and eating it too. It has negative camber gain throughout its travel as it compresses such as in a corner. This means the TL does not require a really stiff spring to handle well and it's predictable.

The Civic uses the MP strut setup because it's cheaper and it's easier to install and service. One of the problems with it is it can start with negative camber gain as the body first begins to lean, it will go into positive camber as the body rolls which is the last thing you want to happen. To make it handle you either need to run more static negative camber which hurts braking and acceleration and wears tires out quicker or run a stiff spring so it never leans enough to hit the positive camber.

The Civic absolutely does not out handle the TL.

The tests I've found show the base model TL on the worst tires offered on a TL pulls .81g on the skid pad. On the optional summer tires, the 6mt pulled .89 and the aspec pulled .9 or .91G on the skid pad which is very nice.

It looks like the Civic is in the upper .7 territory. I'll have to look up the Si when I get a chance. The TL is the better handling car while offering a better ride.
Couldnt agree more. The TL easily outhandles a Civic, and definitely beats it in every other category. In context of my previous post, I said the TL was faster and could outhandle many cars, and I was comparing to cars such as Lexus ES and IS (not 350), BMW 328i (not the newest gen), Audi A4/5, etc etc. Didn't know the TL could be compared to a Civic...but the TL was faster than Altimas and Maximas too, and many other cars. So yes, its not a sporty car, but it does a good job for a FWD entry-level upscale sedan.

Of course, it isnt a "fast" car, and I dont even know if my Infiniti is a "fast" car, but in comparison between the two that I own, the TL has great handling for a car I got in 2007. I take a dump on Audi S4/5, 335i, Boxster S, IS350, etc etc with the IPL, but I still dont know if it is considered "fast" lol.

If the TL had upgraded suspension (maybe if I got a type S), it would be pretty darn good. And its 0-60 is probably around a second to a half-second slower than the IPL. But thats cuz the HP difference is quite large (258 vs. 348). All in all, I still enjoy the TL and for a 2007 car with right under 35k miles, its definitely a keeper..
Old 11-25-2013, 10:16 PM
Racer

Received 234 Likes on 82 Posts
So you're 18 and have a '12 AWD TL as a driver and a Type S for a weekend car? Are sure you're not claiming your parents cars? If you have a new TL already why wouldn't you pick something decently quick for a weekend car? These kinds of threads always bring out people "stretching" the truth. I guess I have a 1200hp GN, a 12.60 stock turbo T, and even a CL65 AMG LOL.
My mom's car is a 11' MDX ADV/ENT
Fathers car is a 10' RL TECH/ CMBS

12 AWD TL is my work car
Type-S is my weekend car.

I buy all my stuff. I pay for my insurance.
Old 11-25-2013, 11:27 PM
Team Owner

Okaaay. Lol. I'm sure you bought the cars, used cash or got a loan in your name. I'm sure the 3G was not originally owned by your parents and you live on your own too.
Old 11-26-2013, 12:47 AM
the overexplainer

Received 385 Likes on 337 Posts
Okaaay. Lol. I'm sure you bought the cars, used cash or got a loan in your name. I'm sure the 3G was not originally owned by your parents and you live on your own too.
dont be too hard on the guy, young'ns trying to impress y'all.

looking at his public twitter and instagram account (hey, they're right there under his username) he works at an acura dealer. The '12 TL is dealer owned and not his "personal" DD work vehicle. Probably got the hook-ups on the TL-S from said dealer or through connections.
Corey_Straker (11-26-2013)
Old 11-26-2013, 01:19 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ez12a

looking at his public twitter and instagram account (hey, they're right there under his username) he works at an acura dealer. The '12 TL is dealer owned and not his "personal" DD work vehicle. Probably got the hook-ups on the TL-S from said dealer or through connections.
Ah, that makes a lot more sense. I figured it was something like that lol.
Old 11-26-2013, 01:59 AM

A little off topic but with the way the economy is going I would almost rather take out a loan which I would have to do on something like the V anyway. All cash should go to guns and ammo and food lol.
I'd love to own a Vagon. Yeah.. tell me about it. I've already bought my allotted number of guns for the year.

A few years ago when someone asked what they should invest in, I would always say guns and ammo.

Probably going to buy a M92 PAP AK pistol for fun in the next few months. Hopefully before you visit. We'll meet up with justn and his pink plinker and hit the range.
Old 11-26-2013, 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by ez12a
Impress IHC.. the guy has partied with Tito, Iceman, Vitor, and ran with hawt p*rnstars. He's also been running a 10 second GN since he was the kid's age. He can also squat a civic and has at one point, benched that GN. No competition.

I, on the other hand, am quite impressed by his mom's MDX.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:29 AM
Team Owner

Impress IHC.. the guy has partied with Tito, Iceman, Vitor, and ran with hawt p*rnstars. He's also been running a 10 second GN since he was the kid's age. He can also squat a civic and has at one point, benched that GN. No competition.

I, on the other hand, am quite impressed by his mom's MDX.
That was another lifetime ago. I literally forget it all happened most of the time. I'm just a broken down old man now. But I'm going to hit the gym so I can be sexy for you and Justin and our alcohol and drug fueled weekend..... or something like that.
Old 11-26-2013, 08:06 AM
Racer

Dang, why such hate? I bought my 3G off an older lady whom I met in our service lounge, it started with a compliment on her car and her saying it was for sale. I asked how much and she said 11,000. Being in sales I asked her if she had planned to get another Acura, long story short I bought the Type-S and she drove off the lot with a steal on a TSX SE. Not trying to impress anyone, sorry if I came off as rude, showoffy, or anything like that. I meant no disrespect.

The 12' AWD TL is a car provided by my work, I did not purchase it or lease it. I happen to be very good at what I do at my dealership and I was rewarded for that.

And yes, I took out a loan for the 3G to establish some credit. I financed it for 12 months, which is one of the reasons why I cannot afford huge amounts of mods without cutting into my budget.

I'm not trying to impress anyone, I'm simply chasing my own dream. What's wrong with that?
Old 11-26-2013, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Corey_Straker
..I happen to be very good at what I do at my dealership and I was rewarded for that...
Yeah, ripping off old ladies, sounds about right.
Old 11-26-2013, 12:48 PM
Racer

Yeah, ripping off old ladies, sounds about right.
She said how much she was asking, I payed what she was asking for it. I got her a great deal on her new car and that was that. Both of us left happy that day.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:15 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm 17. working when I was 13 as a barback (lol i know). just bought my 04 base tl for 9 grand cash by myself. pay my own insurance, gas and mods. I love my car more then anything and am so proud of it.
Old 11-26-2013, 11:21 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
im 20 and worked my ass off for my tl, still tryin to get mods done
Old 11-26-2013, 11:27 PM
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Dang, why such hate? I bought my 3G off an older lady whom I met in our service lounge, it started with a compliment on her car and her saying it was for sale. I asked how much and she said 11,000. Being in sales I asked her if she had planned to get another Acura, long story short I bought the Type-S and she drove off the lot with a steal on a TSX SE. Not trying to impress anyone, sorry if I came off as rude, showoffy, or anything like that. I meant no disrespect.

The 12' AWD TL is a car provided by my work, I did not purchase it or lease it. I happen to be very good at what I do at my dealership and I was rewarded for that.

And yes, I took out a loan for the 3G to establish some credit. I financed it for 12 months, which is one of the reasons why I cannot afford huge amounts of mods without cutting into my budget.

I'm not trying to impress anyone, I'm simply chasing my own dream. What's wrong with that?
11k seems real low for a type s unless it has major issues.
can i ask why they just gave you a '12 awd TL?

my friends in dealers get a demo car up to 10k km's than they just switch to another brand new car and drive that up to 10k again but they're never actually given a car?
Old 11-26-2013, 11:43 PM
Team Owner

It was "provided" by your work? So your name is on the pink slip? Or is this something the dealership owns that you get to drive once in a while? I have cars provided by my work that I can drive anytime but they're not mine.
Old 11-27-2013, 03:17 AM

Received 1,162 Likes on 847 Posts
Honda has the best when all things are considered but also in outright handling. The TL is going to be more composed than the Civic at the limit thanks to double wishbones in the front and the Honda 5 link in the rear. The double wishbone setup costs more and can take longer to service and has more parts. But, it's having your cake and eating it too. It has negative camber gain throughout its travel as it compresses such as in a corner. This means the TL does not require a really stiff spring to handle well and it's predictable.

The Civic uses the MP strut setup because it's cheaper and it's easier to install and service. One of the problems with it is it can start with negative camber gain as the body first begins to lean, it will go into positive camber as the body rolls which is the last thing you want to happen. To make it handle you either need to run more static negative camber which hurts braking and acceleration and wears tires out quicker or run a stiff spring so it never leans enough to hit the positive camber.

The Civic absolutely does not out handle the TL.

The tests I've found show the base model TL on the worst tires offered on a TL pulls .81g on the skid pad. On the optional summer tires, the 6mt pulled .89 and the aspec pulled .9 or .91G on the skid pad which is very nice.

It looks like the Civic is in the upper .7 territory. I'll have to look up the Si when I get a chance. The TL is the better handling car while offering a better ride.

I was definitely referring to the SI. I know that you know this stuff very well, but my friend's 07 civic SI can definitely outrun me on turns. We're not professional drivers but even when I drive his car it feels like it handles better?
We both have mods though.

My TL: koni yellow shocks, tein s tech springs, progress rsb(24mm), natural camber(~-2)

his civic: buddyclub racing coils, front H brace(connects subframe to the middle part of the frame), lower tie bar(dont think this does anything), progress rsb(22mm), ~-3 camber with F/R camber kits

dont get me wrong, I think my TL handles just fine, but his car definitely is easier to toss around in turns. maybe its the LSD?

Last edited by paperboy42190; 11-27-2013 at 03:21 AM.
Old 11-29-2013, 09:26 AM
Racer

It was "provided" by your work? So your name is on the pink slip? Or is this something the dealership owns that you get to drive once in a while? I have cars provided by my work that I can drive anytime but they're not mine.
The dealership owns the car! haha. I just get to drive it. It is in no way mine to keep.
Old 11-29-2013, 09:28 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by you8myrice
11k seems real low for a type s unless it has major issues.
can i ask why they just gave you a '12 awd TL?

my friends in dealers get a demo car up to 10k km's than they just switch to another brand new car and drive that up to 10k again but they're never actually given a car?
It was very cheap. It did have some problems, she got rear ended last summer, it has a spot where there is a little rust, the HFL system is fried, the leather on the seats is awful, and she smoked in it.
Old 11-29-2013, 01:02 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I turned 20 two days ago, bought my '05 Anthracite Metallic 6MT TL about 3 months ago completely with my own hard earned money. I am very proud of my car, and when anyone (especially girls) get into my car and say "wow, nice car," I start glowing. The stick also get respect from people. Also, I love knowing how to drive my relatively well performing car. It's classy enough that I plan on running it until i'm at least 30, and it has 300k miles or more.
Old 01-26-2014, 09:04 PM
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Well I'm not under 21, I am 21. Just bought an 07 Type S 6MT two days ago. Got accepted for a loan with some cash down and picked her up. I also pay for insurance, gas, and all that. Since most of you in this thread are young, what auto insurance do you all use and what is your yearly rate if you don't mind me asking. I'm shopping around and so far I'll end up paying 2x the amount of the car for insurance in a year. So who do you all recommend? And for all the talk about the guys whose parents pay for their stuff, I know many that are spoiled brats and don't know what the heck they are doing but I know plenty who have their head on straight, it goes both ways.
Old 01-26-2014, 09:33 PM
JJH
Drifting

Received 352 Likes on 254 Posts
Originally Posted by JLsTSX
Well I'm not under 21, I am 21. Just bought an 07 Type S 6MT two days ago. Got accepted for a loan with some cash down and picked her up. I also pay for insurance, gas, and all that. Since most of you in this thread are young, what auto insurance do you all use and what is your yearly rate if you don't mind me asking. I'm shopping around and so far I'll end up paying 2x the amount of the car for insurance in a year. So who do you all recommend? And for all the talk about the guys whose parents pay for their stuff, I know many that are spoiled brats and don't know what the heck they are doing but I know plenty who have their head on straight, it goes both ways.
There are a ton of factors that affect the cost of insurance. What is cheap for someone may not be cheap for someone else. Location is also largely taking into consideration. Insurance companies take risk into account when figuring out rates. For example, Geico has a very low risk for drivers in my area. Very low number of yearly claims. Hence very low rates. Many people say that Geico is expensive - it is the cheapest for me by a long shot. Next closest in price was Progressive. Everyone else was very expensive. State Farm quoted me $1,200 for 6 months of coverage. I only pay $260/6 months coverage now.

All factors that influence cost of insurance:

How Traffic Tickets Affect Auto Insurance Rates
How Driving Record Points Affect Auto Insurance Rates
How Auto Claims Affect Auto Insurance Rates
How Assuming More Risk Lowers Auto Insurance Rates
How Occupation Affects Auto Insurance Rates
How Marital Status Affects Auto Insurance Rates
Insurance For New Cars Versus Used Cars
How Gender Affects Auto Insurance Rates
How Gaps In Coverage Affect Auto Insurance Rates
How Auto Theft Affects Auto Insurance Rates
How Driving History Affects Auto Insurance Rates
How Age Affects Auto Insurance Rates
JLsTypeS (01-28-2014)
Old 01-28-2014, 08:57 AM
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by JJH
There are a ton of factors that affect the cost of insurance. What is cheap for someone may not be cheap for someone else. Location is also largely taking into consideration. Insurance companies take risk into account when figuring out rates. For example, Geico has a very low risk for drivers in my area. Very low number of yearly claims. Hence very low rates. Many people say that Geico is expensive - it is the cheapest for me by a long shot. Next closest in price was Progressive. Everyone else was very expensive. State Farm quoted me $1,200 for 6 months of coverage. I only pay $260/6 months coverage now.

All factors that influence cost of insurance:

How Traffic Tickets Affect Auto Insurance Rates
How Driving Record Points Affect Auto Insurance Rates
How Auto Claims Affect Auto Insurance Rates
How Assuming More Risk Lowers Auto Insurance Rates
How Occupation Affects Auto Insurance Rates
How Marital Status Affects Auto Insurance Rates
Insurance For New Cars Versus Used Cars
How Gender Affects Auto Insurance Rates
How Gaps In Coverage Affect Auto Insurance Rates
How Auto Theft Affects Auto Insurance Rates
How Driving History Affects Auto Insurance Rates
How Age Affects Auto Insurance Rates

Yeah Justin I live closer to the city than you do and I spent about 3 hours yesterday calling all the insurance companies I know. My first call was Geico and sadly the next 14 calls were all higher quotes. Geico was $588 every 6 months and Liberty Mutual and American Family were both $1,200 every 6 months. Esurance was the next lowest at $590. But yeah I'm going to move out to the country because I don't have anything on my record or any accidents and $2,400 a year is just stupid. I guess it doesn't help that we have the Type S and not a 94 civic, haha.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:39 AM
07ASM

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
Bought mine when I was 23. Could not even consider affording this car under 21. LOL.
Old 01-29-2014, 02:27 PM
5th Gear

19 with an 07 KBP TL Type-S with 62k miles. Owned the car since I was 17, and yes I paid for the car entirely by myself lol.
Old 01-29-2014, 03:04 PM
5th Gear

17 and bought my WDP when i turned 16
Old 01-29-2014, 03:45 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
wtf how do you young bucks afford this car! i got mines at 29 yrs old and had a 00 civic Si (not my daily) for 13 years and bc of the civic and the $ i saved in gas i could afford to outright buy my 08 kbp. the mods in this car compared to the civic do costs alot more though but after i sold the civic i just went and outright paid or will pay for everything i wanna do to my tl.

im not gonna lie my parents paid for 3/4 my Si but i eventually paid them most of it back lol
Old 01-30-2014, 12:49 AM
Cruisin'

Im 19 and i just purchased my 05 TL base model for 16k with 102k miles. due to financing by my own self my interest rate is 20% O.U.C.H. but i gotta build credit somehow. I work for T-Mobile and I get paid 2k Mininum each month.
Old 01-31-2014, 09:36 PM
Intermediate

Im 19 with my 05 6 speed, this is my first car I've modded an I never knew how expensive it was Ballin on a college budget is tough...next mod will be exhaust..let the saving begin!
Old 02-02-2014, 10:32 AM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
18 here, bought my 06 AM base when I was 17. Worked 35-40 hours weekly at a grocery store and saved all my money. HAd to borrow 2 grand from my brother but I paid him back already. Now I pay the insurance, gas, and saving for mods.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:08 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
got mine when i was 18 and everyone thinks I'm the rich kid I'm about to be 20 in a few months
Old 02-03-2014, 02:35 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Im fixing to turn 19 and im on my second TL. My first car was a red 06 TL when I was 16. My dad was driving it and I got it after him. Then to get cheaper payments I got an 08 CBP tl with only about 39,000 miles on it January 2013. I am very thankful for what I have been given and take amazing care of it. What other kids our age fail to realize is that you can get a hell of a lot more in a used car than in a brand new one if you just search. My 06 TL had more features than most new cars!
Old 02-04-2014, 03:21 PM
5th Gear

I turned 20 2 months after I bought my 2006 NBP 6MT. Bought it for 16,602.00 in June of 2013 with 65,425 miles and today it rolled over 84,000 on the way to work.

Quick Reply: How many TL owners under the age of 21?