Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many MPG does your TL-S go ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 09:03 AM
JJH
Drifting

Received 352 Likes on 254 Posts
Too many variables to defile the accuracy of calculating MPGs by hand.

Remember this thread IHC?

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...=880023&page=2
Old 08-19-2013, 09:11 AM
JJH
Drifting

Received 352 Likes on 254 Posts
Originally Posted by I hate cars
I think it has the information to a tenth but it was chosen not to display it. Looking a the guys that do the navi backs adds other things the MID "knows" but doesn't show like mileage since las fill up, instant MPG, etc

It's just a MID lol, no reasons to get upset. I would rather argue with someone that says its inaccurate and gives reasons why than someone who believes it based on a feeling and is not open to new info.

I think the guys who keep very close tabs on MPG over long periods of time all agree the MID is accurate.

What I would like to hear explained from the opposition is why the inconsistency from pump to pump and station to station seems to be ignored. If the hand calculation is done enough to begin getting a real average it begins to be less important.

Second, how is the MID inaccurate when you're using the same odometer for both the MID and the hand calculation. How is going off injector pulse width, rpms, and fuel pressure to get a very precise rate (or the engine won't run right) less accurate than a very crude shutoff system at the pump which can vary by several gallons in either direction.

The MID will adjust obviously. My miles to empty counts backwards after a couple minutes of downhill with my foot off the gas at 80mph on the grapevine and counts backwards for a full 10 minutes of downhill. Anyone ever wonder when you're coasting downhill and the car is using zero fuel, what value does the MID use to accurately show this (I know >50 is displayed) value.
Regarding temperature and volumetric measures at the pump:

In the U.S., due to underground tanks and heavy sales volume , the gas temperature remains essentially constant. The reference temperature is 60F. A 30 degree variance from the reference temperature would account for about +/- 0.25 gallons on a 15 gallon fill-up. Also, the NIST requires a dispenser accuracy of 0.3%. In an extreme worst case scenario in the U.S., a combination of temperature extreme and maximum allowable measurement error could theoretically account for about a 0.3 gallon error.

In Canada, temperature compensation is accounted for at the pump, so you can rule out volumetric error. (The temp compensation does increase the allowable measurement error from 0.3% to 0.5%)
How does a gas pump know to shut itself off?

May 29, 1981
Dear Cecil:

Cecil, old buddy, even though I am receiving a doctorate this spring, the old adage that the more you learn the less you know still holds true. So tell me this: how does a gas station pump know when to turn off before spilling gallons of gas onto the pavement?

— Ethel Pumper, Dallas

Cecil replies:

Pal, you're going to need a doctorate to understand the following, so cleanse your mind of distracting thoughts. In a gas pump handle you have two valves: the main valve, which is actuated by the oversize trigger you squeeze to make the gas flow, and the check valve, which lets gas flow out but won't let anything back in again, thus reducing fire hazard. In the seat of the check valve you have a little hole. To the backside of this hole is connected a Y-shaped tube. One branch of this tube runs down the nozzle and exits at the tip while the other runs back to a diaphragm connected to a release mechanism on the main valve. When you squeeze the gas pump trigger, gas running past the hole in the check valve sucks air out of the Y-shaped tube. (This is because of the Bernoulli principle: a moving stream of fluid tends to pull things in from the sides. Take my word for it.) As long the end of the Y-shaped tube exiting at the spout is unobstructed, air is simply pulled into the tube and nothing much else happens. However, as soon as the gas in your car's fill-up pipe gets high enough to cover the end of the tube, a partial vacuum is created therein, which yanks on the diaphragm, releases the main valve, and shuts off the gas. If the gas happens to be especially foamy one day, it may actuate the release mechanism prematurely, with the result that you end up with less than a full tank of gas. Simple, huh? Sure, just like nuclear fission. Stick with English lit.

— Cecil Adams
Covers that thread....
Old 08-19-2013, 10:27 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All Hwy with minimal stopping or slowing down, have gotten about 475-480 ish miles. making that about 27-28mpg.. city I usually get about 19-20 mpg and combined is anywhere between 20 - 24 mpg.
Old 08-19-2013, 03:12 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Do a tune up bud lol...
Just got my car used private party it had never had original plugs replaced and valve cover was leaking oil into one of the spark plugs my mileage was 18mpg hwy lol big different... did timing belt service and plugs and valve adjustment at my shop and im doing 29-31 mpg hwy now... tune up goes along ways lol
Old 08-19-2013, 03:12 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
18mpg Los angeles City traffic driving lol