How is the leather holding up?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2004 | 12:22 AM
10th Gear

How is the leather holding up?

I have noticed quite a few 04 TLs with their leather seat showing wrinkles and obvious hairline cracks even when they were still in the showroom.

Just want to hear from people who have owned the car for some time now to comment on the condition of the leather covering the seats. Does anyone know the 05TLs will use a different grade of leather for the seats?
Old 09-08-2004 | 09:54 AM
10th Gear

Edmunds long-term test drive says:

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2004/acur...s.longterm.1.*
One other small issue we've noted is the delicate nature of the TL's leather upholstery. We have already experienced more than our fair share of cuts in the upholstery and, in general, the leather seems ultrasensitive. One editor wrote in the logbook, "Child safety seats make indentations in the leather that last for weeks. The upholstery seems to take a beating after each soccer game, biking trip and beach day. Maybe some of my kids are rough in the backseat, but the TL is ultimately a midsize sedan designed to accommodate family duty and it ought to be more resilient."
Other than that they love the car and only ding it for not handling quite as well as the RWD 3 series (duh).

John - considering a TL in my future but concerned about leather issues.
Old 09-08-2004 | 10:34 AM
Racer

discoloring

the only thing I have noticed is my seats are turning blue. I assume it's from Blue Jeans as the passenger seat is more noticable than the drivers seats, the wife wears jeans more often than I do.

Anyone else with this problem?
Old 09-08-2004 | 10:37 AM
Senior Moderator

Non-issue

I have had my car since April. I have Camel. I conditioned my leather when new (it was thirsty) and several times since new. (Zaino "Leather in a Bottle")

I have no leather issues. No cracks or marks.

I also have a 28 pound dog, Zorro, who walks all over it even though I have covered the bottom of the back seat with a terry cloth towel. He goes back and forth and moves the towel.

No permanant marks, digs, or scratches from him.

XP
Old 09-08-2004 | 10:43 AM
Intermediate

This is quite disappointinting really. Leather is quite expensive to replace. How much wear and tear can one take it through and for how long before its no longer considered under warranty?
Old 09-08-2004 | 11:03 AM
Instructor

I've had the car for almost 3 months now- ebony interior. Initially treated with Leather CPR and then followed up with Leather in a Bottle about a month after. No sagging, cracking or fading- everything's looking good so far.
Old 09-08-2004 | 11:21 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Xpditor
I have had my car since April. I have Camel. I conditioned my leather when new (it was thirsty) and several times since new. (Zaino "Leather in a Bottle")

I have no leather issues. No cracks or marks.

I also have a 28 pound dog, Zorro, who walks all over it even though I have covered the bottom of the back seat with a terry cloth towel. He goes back and forth and moves the towel.

No permanant marks, digs, or scratches from him.

XP
Really? Mine looks like this even though I am religious about leather care. Oh, well....

Old 09-08-2004 | 11:34 AM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Yeah, my leather bolsters look very much like that photo too, except mine's ebony so it looks slightly different. With black leather, you can tell when the leather's been worn and used because it gets that polished "smooth and glossy" look on it...
Old 09-08-2004 | 01:46 PM
Senior Moderator

Added photo

I added a photo taken today to illustrate post #4 above.

XP
Old 09-08-2004 | 01:55 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Novice, I have similar wear and crease as you have (mine is a little better), besides those tricky factors with weight and how to get in/out the seat, mine has 16k mileage on it. I bet those later build 04TL could be supposed to have better quality leather. I used the leather conditioner twice per month.

Also, after MrCleaning it, my leather looks better.

BTW, Xpditor, how many miles does your car have? This would be the factor, too. Thanks.
Old 09-08-2004 | 02:39 PM
Senior Moderator

Pampered

Originally Posted by rets
BTW, Xpditor, how many miles does your car have? This would be the factor, too. Thanks.
Stats: 6'-2", 185 lbs, 1100 miles. Garage kept. Pampered. Today was my 3rd leather treatment since April.

I can't remember ever getting the interior wet. I usually drive my Jeep Wrangler if it's raining.
Old 09-08-2004 | 02:50 PM
Drifting

Novice...I've got Ebony and have the same "creases" you've got, but I'm not convinced that there is anything wrong with the leather.....it's just a tendency of leather to wrinkle...my tennis shoes do the same thing and the leather is many times thicker. If it were cracked on the surface, I'd say it was bad leather, but I'm not convinced wrinkles mean bad leather. All leather does that to some degree, and the softer and more supple the leather, the more it tends to wrinkle. I'm not exactly happy that it looks the way it does, but it's leather...and you just have to put up with some wrinkles.
Old 09-08-2004 | 03:10 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by JetJock
Novice...I've got Ebony and have the same "creases" you've got, but I'm not convinced that there is anything wrong with the leather.....it's just a tendency of leather to wrinkle...my tennis shoes do the same thing and the leather is many times thicker. If it were cracked on the surface, I'd say it was bad leather, but I'm not convinced wrinkles mean bad leather. All leather does that to some degree, and the softer and more supple the leather, the more it tends to wrinkle. I'm not exactly happy that it looks the way it does, but it's leather...and you just have to put up with some wrinkles.
I agree. Leather does wrinkle, it is a natural material and the softer it is, the more it wrinkles. The TL has smooth leather rather than the textured leather many other cars have. Because it starts off so smooth, it tends to show the wrinkles over time more. In other cars with textured leather, the wrinkles are there, they are just hidden more by the texture.
Old 09-08-2004 | 03:14 PM
Instructor

Novice-

Is it just the picture or is the plastic trim that houses the seat controls separating from your seat bolsters? It looks like there's a 1/4 to 1/2 inch gap in the picture you posted above.
Old 09-08-2004 | 03:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dwcolt
Novice-

Is it just the picture or is the plastic trim that houses the seat controls separating from your seat bolsters? It looks like there's a 1/4 to 1/2 inch gap in the picture you posted above.
dwcolt:

Nice observation! Believe it or not, something under my seat broke off and it caused this separation. My dealer fixed it though.

I know what you guys mean. I had a TSX a while ago which had a stiff leather seats. I like TL's leather better, I think.

XP: Your car looks like a brand new!! Amazing!
Old 09-08-2004 | 03:21 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TorontoTL
I agree. Leather does wrinkle, it is a natural material and the softer it is, the more it wrinkles. The TL has smooth leather rather than the textured leather many other cars have. Because it starts off so smooth, it tends to show the wrinkles over time more. In other cars with textured leather, the wrinkles are there, they are just hidden more by the texture.
The leather seems *thinner* than what BMW and MB use in their sedans, my guess (and it's only that) is that this is related to the problem.

Interesting to see if the 2005 seats have a different feel as Acura was aware of this problem from the get go.
Old 09-08-2004 | 10:20 PM
Black

my Parchment wrinkled at first but stabilized. Using treatment it appears okay for now (9000 miles).

I would add, however, that it picked up some permanent, unremoveable (sp?) lines/spots that I've never had or witnessed on my other cars.