Sponsored by:

How good are the non-Brembo brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2004, 12:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How good are the non-Brembo brakes?

Hi Guys,

I just wanted to know what you guys thought of the standard brakes on the automatic. Much have been said in the recent automotive press about Honda/Acura only putting "adequate" brakes on their new products. I know the Brembos are insane on the MT but I see the AT as a more practical car I would get. I know that the A-spec version for the AT specifies high performance pads due to packaging constraints. Anyone have any experience with those? I plan to buy later this summer or in the fall. This forum has been nothing short of amazing in terms of knowledge and feedback. Thanks.

dsc888
Old 03-14-2004, 12:52 PM
I6

I test drove the 6mt and the 5at. The brembos definitely felt better.
Old 03-14-2004, 01:45 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The brakes are only going to be better if the tires "allow" it...
Yes, the Brembo's will have greater stopping power but if your locking up the tires and/or working the ABS due to reaching the tires performance limit,,, then the brakes aren't worth having.
It comes down to what type of driving you "really" think your going to do... I like a MT as much as the next guy/gal but opted for the AT due to the type of driving I now perform. Sure I could discuss less brake fade etc with the Brembo's, but are you really going to be driving the car repeatedly in a fashion where brake fade would really become a pressing (no pun intended) issue?? My guess is if your considering the AT then most likely not.

Within a year their will be aftermarket brake components that will match or exceed the factory Brembo setup.. If you want an AT but think you need better brakes, get the AT-TL, then install better calipers, rotors, tires etc. to really make the car brake/handle to fit your driving style.

Big picture, I wouldn't let the "Brembo" brakes be your deciding factor between AT and MT. Its much easier to make the AT-TL brake like the MT-TL versus living with the MT-TL when you figure out you would have rather had the AT...

The even harder part.... What color to get!

Best of luck
Old 03-14-2004, 05:48 PM
Burning Brakes

KJsmitty et al,

Thanks for your impartial advice. It really does make sense. Well, I wanted to let you guys know that I just got back from Acura of Boston and put my deposit down for the White/Quartz/NAVI for $2K under MSRP!!! It's going to be built in April for May delivery. I am so excited. I test drove the AT and thought the brakes were just fine. I am moderately aggressive for about 5% of the time and agree that I will look into the aftermarket segments for improved performance later down the line if my needs change.

I hope I got a good deal since I know many here are paying about $500 under MSRP. Thanks again.

dsc888