Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How fast have you had your TL ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 12:02 PM
Ryan Christopher

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Xpditor
I beg your pardon? My grammar is perfect!

Well, she was. But she dyed last yere.
I am sorrie for the los of yor grammer. Hop evryting coms out k.!!!
Old 06-02-2006, 12:11 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 150 Likes on 109 Posts
I've gotten up to bout 140 in my TL, only when drunk.
Old 06-02-2006, 12:42 PM
Ryan Christopher

Originally Posted by CUNextTuesday
I, for the love of God, hope you are joking!!! If not be ready to be .
Old 06-02-2006, 02:46 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

suite

and if you don't understand the five letters above, or the way it is intended, don't quote me.
Old 06-02-2006, 06:43 PM
Suzuka Master

What? You don't drive drunk?

Actually, I find it much easier to drive high than drunk, but I rarely speed while I'm high because I can't tell how fast I'm going. Plus my reactions are much slower...wouldn't want to endanger anyone's lives or anything...
Old 06-03-2006, 06:17 PM
Instructor

So whats a TL 5AT and 6MT max out at stock?
Old 06-03-2006, 06:48 PM
18,000mi. 29000km

Anyone wants to see TL going to the max. I assume it's either near Vancouver or Eastern Canada.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29YqVah-aGA&search=tl
Old 06-03-2006, 07:39 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
At first glance, I was like, WOW, that TL flew from 100 - 160 like it was nothing. Then I remembered, this TL was from Canada. Whewwwwwww!!!!! That must've been extremely exciting .
Old 06-03-2006, 09:13 PM
Suzuka Master

240 km/h is just under 150 mph...so I wouldn't say it's the max
Old 06-03-2006, 09:16 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Actuary
Anyone wants to see TL going to the max. I assume it's either near Vancouver or Eastern Canada.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29YqVah-aGA&search=tl
240 km/h is just under 150 mph. An American TL's spedometer goes up to 160, so it's technically not the max. Anyone gotten that fast? I've heard that it's limited to 152 mph, but one of you above said it's rpm limited not speed limited...
Old 06-03-2006, 09:30 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
^-It doesnt matter what the speedo goes up to
Old 06-03-2006, 09:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Then how we supposed to know how fast that Canadian TL is going if it goes past 240
Old 06-03-2006, 09:40 PM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
140 mph.

I couldn't continue because of the upcoming curvy roads. My car is 5AT, so it takes a while to get to 140 even.
Old 06-03-2006, 10:22 PM
One on the right for me

Then how we supposed to know how fast that Canadian TL is going if it goes past 240

ahh sorry, took your statement in the wrong context
Old 06-03-2006, 11:25 PM
Ryan Christopher

240 km/h is just under 150 mph. An American TL's spedometer goes up to 160, so it's technically not the max. Anyone gotten that fast? I've heard that it's limited to 152 mph, but one of you above said it's rpm limited not speed limited...
It is electronically controlled to around 152. I don't believe that poster. The ECU of the controls the speed. There is a rev limiter on the car as well, but that is not what stops you from going over the 152 mark. If Hondata flashes the ECU, the could in theory remove the top speed limiter. Also, this is confirmed in a Road and Track Spec sheet for the TL. The Actually put it at 147 not 152. Here is the R&T spec sheet.
Spec Sheet

Sorry the size is not wanting to work.
Here is a link to the thread I found it in.
Thread

Look on the right hand side with the gear ratios.

Jason
Old 06-05-2006, 01:27 AM
Pro

Yeah, hondata took my speed governer off, or at least its not below 160. Haven't ever gone any faster. I think its also appropriate to add that I got a speeding ticket today.
Old 06-05-2006, 04:17 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Originally Posted by JOES05tl
I think its also appropriate to add that I got a speeding ticket today.
Now aren't you proud of yourself?
Old 06-05-2006, 08:04 AM
FOR SALE - BM

Why is it that we have this thread that talk about how fast we have gone, and even to some extent, trying to beat previous members top speeds ... but. If i were to start a thread about how to easy it is to disable that stupid seat belt signal it gets closed... I will admit , i don't normally wear my seatbelt unless i am on the highway, but even then it is sometimes.... not wearing a seatbelt puts myself at danger.... speeding puts myself, and others around you at danger...
Old 06-05-2006, 09:54 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by drdamian
Why is it that we have this thread that talk about how fast we have gone, and even to some extent, trying to beat previous members top speeds ... but. If i were to start a thread about how to easy it is to disable that stupid seat belt signal it gets closed... I will admit , i don't normally wear my seatbelt unless i am on the highway, but even then it is sometimes.... not wearing a seatbelt puts myself at danger.... speeding puts myself, and others around you at danger...
Well said, drdamian, and I applaud you for making a statement against some of the idiots who brag about pushing 120 MPH and higher on PUBLIC HIGHWAYS. I have made several posts urging the mods to close this thread as it encourages illegal and dangerous behavior.

You seem like a nice and sensible person....so wear your seatbelt ! lol
Old 06-05-2006, 09:55 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Post Rtfm

You base your belief on Road & Track over Acura itself? Then you admit that they are in error by saying that the TL is speed-limited to 147?

You can read your owner's manual from cover-to-cover and not find anything about a speed limiter. You will, however, find that they warn that you should not shift down from 5th to 4th at speeds over 149MPH.

Let me correct that. On page 185, it says, "Engine Speed Limiter. If you exceed the maximum speed for the gear you are in, the engine speed will enter into the tachometer's red zone. If this occurs, you may feel the engine cut in and out. This is caused by a limiter in the engines's computer controls. The engine will run normally when you reduce the RPM below the red zone."

Our tires are "W" rated for a sustained speed of 165MPH. Why would Acura spend the money ($200 per tire retail) for high-speed performance tires if they limit the top speed to 147-152 when a lesser rating would suffice?

The whole purpose of speed limiters is so that the car won't go faster than its tire ratings which could create liability to the manufacturer.

I can't say that I have read the shop manual cover-to-cover, but I have read quite a bit of it. I did not see anything in there about a top speed limiter. If it's there, someone provide the reference/page number.

Originally Posted by Black_05_TL_6SP
It is electronically controlled to around 152. I don't believe that poster. The ECU of the controls the speed. There is a rev limiter on the car as well, but that is not what stops you from going over the 152 mark. If Hondata flashes the ECU, the could in theory remove the top speed limiter. Also, this is confirmed in a Road and Track Spec sheet for the TL. The Actually put it at 147 not 152. Here is the R&T spec sheet.
Spec Sheet

Sorry the size is not wanting to work.
Here is a link to the thread I found it in.
Thread

Look on the right hand side with the gear ratios.

Jason
Old 06-05-2006, 10:17 AM
Ryan Christopher

You base your belief on Road & Track over Acura itself? Then you admit that they are in error by saying that the TL is speed-limited to 147?

You can read your owner's manual from cover-to-cover and not find anything about a speed limiter. You will, however, find that they warn that you should not shift down from 5th to 4th at speeds over 149MPH.

Let me correct that. On page 185, it says, "Engine Speed Limiter. If you exceed the maximum speed for the gear you are in, the engine speed will enter into the tachometer's red zone. If this occurs, you may feel the engine cut in and out. This is caused by a limiter in the engines's computer controls. The engine will run normally when you reduce the RPM below the red zone."

Our tires are "W" rated for a sustained speed of 165MPH. Why would Acura spend the money ($200 per tire retail) for high-speed performance tires if they limit the top speed to 147-152 when a lesser rating would suffice?

The whole purpose of speed limiters is so that the car won't go faster than its tire ratings which could create liability to the manufacturer.

I can't say that I have read the shop manual cover-to-cover, but I have read quite a bit of it. I did not see anything in there about a top speed limiter. If it's there, someone provide the reference/page number.
First off, the tires, because we will buy them, that is why!! They make money on it correct?? OK.

And if you don't believe me on the top speed limiter, contact Hondata and ask them.

If you read the R&T article, you would see there was a *, that said approximate!! German cars are not limited in this way, was they where designed to run on the Autobahn, as where the top speed in the US is ~70MPH. So wake up, smell the coffee and get a clue. When the car sees this speed it starts cutting fuel, forcing the car to stay around that speed.

So, if you think that its not, put it on a Dyno, run it up to that speed, which on a dyno you have no resistance to air, you should have any problem getting there, see how fast it will go. Then come back here, post the dyno and prove everyone wrong!! Sounds like a plan, know get er done!
Old 06-05-2006, 11:54 AM
Senior Moderator

We shall agree to disagree.

You are mistaken about German cars also. They are limited to either 130 MPH or 155 MPH except for Porsche (who fits their cars with highspeed rubber). That includes ALL Mercedes-Benz, BMW, Audi, and Volkswagon. (See the back pages of your Road & Track)

I don't have access to a dyno. An easier way to settle the question if for you to provide me a link to an official Acura source that says our top speed is limited.

If true, don't you think they would mention it somewhere in their litterature?

I will agree that our TLs are limited to around 152 but I believe that is due to drag. You can get almost to that speed in 4th gear (5AT), but there's not much left in 5th except better gas mileage.

I can admit that I'm wrong if you find some authoritative proof.
Old 06-05-2006, 12:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts
That's true!
German cars (as my Audi was) are ALL limited to 250 km\h.
I have a question: which is the difference between the TL 6MT and the 5 automatic in the 0-60 mph?
Caranddriver talk about a 5.7 sec.... But it seems to me too fast.
I have a 5 automatic: it's very fast in the sport shift but however I don't understand which is the 0-60 mph in seconds: somebody knows better??
Old 06-05-2006, 01:30 PM
Ryan Christopher

We shall agree to disagree.

You are mistaken about German cars also. They are limited to either 130 MPH or 155 MPH except for Porsche (who fits their cars with highspeed rubber). That includes ALL Mercedes-Benz, BMW, Audi, and Volkswagon. (See the back pages of your Road & Track)

I don't have access to a dyno. An easier way to settle the question if for you to provide me a link to an official Acura source that says our top speed is limited.

If true, don't you think they would mention it somewhere in their litterature?

I will agree that our TLs are limited to around 152 but I believe that is due to drag. You can get almost to that speed in 4th gear (5AT), but there's not much left in 5th except better gas mileage.

I can admit that I'm wrong if you find some authoritative proof.
dino?? whats a dino? Just playing. As for it not being in the literature, why would they? It what area of the US would you ever legally run a TL at top speed, other then the salt flats. Not on any road. The manufacture is not going to post that in the specs for the car, same as they don't post the actual top speed. As the two would be the same. They find it more important to have HP, MPG, Wieght, and important specs like that in there. So again I ask, why would they list that.

But without someone being able to take it out and run it in a place like the salt flats, we will have this debate. I have no plans to get it up to that speed so I guess it really doesn't matter. It will do 70-100 so that is all I car about. Untill I can get it over the 110 mark in the 1/4

As for proof, you must also prove that it does not have it. So we are stuck in a stalemate on that one.

But hell, we own a TL, so why are we arguing , lets enjoy the car and get along

Oh and I just want to use this one :
Old 06-05-2006, 01:37 PM
Mofo

First off, the tires, because we will buy them, that is why!! They make money on it correct?? OK.....
That's a pretty poor arguement - the stock tires are not an additional charge, they are included in the purchase price of the car, so why would acura put in an extra $200/tire for something that won't really be a deal-breaker for anyone, and is just cutting their profits by that much???
Old 06-05-2006, 01:59 PM
Senior Moderator

...(clip)...
Oh and I just want to use this one :
Thou shalt not :troutslap Mega Mods.

My trout's bigger than yours.

Old 06-05-2006, 02:11 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Xpiditor and Black_05 --

You usually don't find top speed information in owner's manuals. 99% of the buyers in this category don't care about top speeds.

It's easy to find out if it's drag limited, rev-limited, or governed. If it's drag limited, the car will simply stop accelerating. If it's rev-limited, it means you're topping out 5th or 6th gear, depending on the transmission. If it's governed, you will feel the fuel cut-off.

It's very obvious to tell between a governed top speed and a drag-limited top speed. I don't see why you two are arguing about it so much. I didn't read the whole thread, but I'm sure somebody was dumb/brave enough to keep the pedal buried to 150+/-. Ask him if there was a sudden jerk of deceleration, or if the car simply stopped accelerating.

By the way, I HIGHLY doubt it's drag-limited. Why? Because the 2G TL-S is governed at 147, and you can still feel the car accelerating even after 145, then followed by a jerking motion due to the cut-off. The 3G TL has more power, and boasts better aerodynamics than the 2G. By comparison, I just don't see the 3G TL being drag-limited to 152 or a speed near there.
Old 06-05-2006, 02:47 PM
Suzuka Master

I drove my TL 120 mph in reverse. Drunk.
Old 06-05-2006, 03:31 PM
Ryan Christopher

I drove my TL 120 mph in reverse. Drunk.
So where was the tach? like -20,000 RPMs?? Also, how drunk? 6 pack or liter of 151 drunk??
Old 06-05-2006, 03:40 PM
Ryan Christopher

Thou shalt not :troutslap Mega Mods.

My trout's bigger than yours.

You swaped my trout!!!! Not the trout!! hahahha Oh and I wasn't using the trout on you, I just wanted it on the thread, it was cool!!

Originally Posted by maluskills
That's a pretty poor arguement - the stock tires are not an additional charge, they are included in the purchase price of the car, so why would acura put in an extra $200/tire for something that won't really be a deal-breaker for anyone, and is just cutting their profits by that much???
I personally purchased the HPT package, this costed extra. Acura did not swallow that cost, I had to pay for it. The majority of the tires that are on any manufactures car are going to be able to do 140. The ultra high performance tires are all rated at 160+, how many cars on the road can do this?? So yes, I think they are making money on the HPT package. The standard tires on a TL are all season radials, nothing all that special, something put on there that would do well in all seasons and give a good ride, low noise level, and a good tread life.

So Xpditor, give maluskills a :troutslap for me!!!!

BTW, this is all in fun, so please don't take anything to serious, it has only been a debate, as that is one of the fun parts of a internet forum.
Old 06-05-2006, 03:46 PM
I dust my TL.

Received 19 Likes on 1 Post
My dad and I were moving me back from college and he was leading in his MDX...
we did about 110 for 30 minutes straight. It was so fun...and we were in a huge pack of cars all going over 100. The drive from AZ to CA (the 10) is REALLY boring and very fast!
Old 06-05-2006, 04:15 PM
Dr. Feelgood

Man, I must be the only pussy here because the fastest I've gotten my TL is 90mph! I'm trying to be good. I've been clean for 3 years now!
Old 06-05-2006, 05:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline
Xpiditor and Black_05 --

You usually don't find top speed information in owner's manuals. 99% of the buyers in this category don't care about top speeds.

It's easy to find out if it's drag limited, rev-limited, or governed. If it's drag limited, the car will simply stop accelerating. If it's rev-limited, it means you're topping out 5th or 6th gear, depending on the transmission. If it's governed, you will feel the fuel cut-off.

It's very obvious to tell between a governed top speed and a drag-limited top speed. I don't see why you two are arguing about it so much. I didn't read the whole thread, but I'm sure somebody was dumb/brave enough to keep the pedal buried to 150+/-. Ask him if there was a sudden jerk of deceleration, or if the car simply stopped accelerating.

By the way, I HIGHLY doubt it's drag-limited. Why? Because the 2G TL-S is governed at 147, and you can still feel the car accelerating even after 145, then followed by a jerking motion due to the cut-off. The 3G TL has more power, and boasts better aerodynamics than the 2G. By comparison, I just don't see the 3G TL being drag-limited to 152 or a speed near there.
As you can imagine, there are LOTS of top speed thread on this forum after two and a half years. Dozens of people have reported topping their TLs out between 150-155 MPH. They all say it takes a while to get up there.

But NONE have reported running into a vehicle top speed limiter.

Yes, there's a rev limiter. We are all aware of that. It cuts in at about 150 MPH in 4th gear, but, when you crunch the numbers, it wouldn't cut in until nearly 200 MPH in 5th gear, IIRC.

Yes... this always respectful debate and free exchange of ideas. We don't give or take it personally. If it gets over that line, you will get a tap on the shoulder from me or one of the other mods. :wink:
Old 06-05-2006, 05:39 PM
Intermediate

I got up to 146 in 4th on a deserted road in Western TN.

I had my old '92 Legend up to 143 and it was 11 years old at the time. Man, I loved that car... but, it blew a head gasket last year, so I upgraded to my '05 TL.
Old 06-05-2006, 05:43 PM
One on the right for me

Originally Posted by Tempest811
The drive from AZ to CA (the 10) is REALLY boring and very fast!

Yes it is
Old 06-05-2006, 06:30 PM
18,000mi. 29000km

think of gas consumption at that speed. Third of tank an hour?
Old 06-05-2006, 06:56 PM
Indian Acura Driver

240km/h.
Old 06-05-2006, 07:11 PM
Burning Brakes

230 km/h or around 140+ mph. And I don't want to do it regularly.
Old 06-05-2006, 07:53 PM
Suzuka Master

So where was the tach? like -20,000 RPMs?? Also, how drunk? 6 pack or liter of 151 drunk??
Everclear drunk. I hit a racoon or small child.
Old 06-05-2006, 07:54 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
As you can imagine, there are LOTS of top speed thread on this forum after two and a half years. Dozens of people have reported topping their TLs out between 150-155 MPH. They all say it takes a while to get up there.

But NONE have reported running into a vehicle top speed limiter.

Yes, there's a rev limiter. We are all aware of that. It cuts in at about 150 MPH in 4th gear, but, when you crunch the numbers, it wouldn't cut in until nearly 200 MPH in 5th gear, IIRC.

Yes... this always respectful debate and free exchange of ideas. We don't give or take it personally. If it gets over that line, you will get a tap on the shoulder from me or one of the other mods. :wink:
Oh, I know. I just thought I would throw in my two cents.

As for the rev limiter... well, it's not gear-dependent. In other words, if it's designed to hit at 150 mph, you could be in 4th or 5th gear, and it would still kick in at 150 mph.

Maybe I just need to take my brother's 6-speed out for a drive to, umm, ya know, gather some data.

Quick Reply: How fast have you had your TL ?