3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How fast have you had your TL ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 07:49 PM
Turd Polisher

Received 3,017 Likes on 1,515 Posts
It probably hit the limiter / fuel cutoff.
Old 11-25-2007, 12:44 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
havent taken it above 90.
Old 11-25-2007, 01:44 AM
More speed needed

Originally Posted by TylerT
It probably hit the limiter / fuel cutoff.
awww... i can't even hit 160
Well, i guess it's for my safety anyways. I should probably make it so i can't go past 90 though, driving this fast isn't good for my health. But i do get places faster.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:55 PM
Looking for new mods

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
140Mph on I-95
Old 12-05-2007, 09:21 PM
More speed needed

Well, as expected i finally got a ticket. Going home from confirmation class i was going 70 in a 40. Got the ticket but i don't know how much it will be. Court date on the second of january. Hopefully i can pay and not half to hit it up.
Old 12-05-2007, 09:39 PM
Racer

Fast enough to get a reckless driving ticket in Norfolk, 86 in a 55mph. Now let see what the judge says!
Old 12-05-2007, 11:23 PM
More speed needed

30mph over, just like me! I'm just going to pay it.
Old 12-06-2007, 12:30 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
Originally Posted by cgrado
30mph over, just like me! I'm just going to pay it.

That's an admission of guilt, i.e., you're convicted. In most places 20 over is Reckless Operation, Reckless Endangerment or something similar. Plus the big $$$$ fine.

Your insurance is going to go through the roof if you plead. Especially if you're 16. That might hang with you (and your insurance rates) until you're ~24.

You should try to get a reduction to speeding. It'll still cost you points and/or insurance, but better than Reckless Op. Consider contacting a lawyer - could be cheaper in the long run.

(I assume TX is similar to most other states in this regard.)
Old 12-06-2007, 01:52 AM
Intermediate

yeah I just forked up $750 for a lawyer to help me fight that ticket I got last month going 105 in a 65. hopefully he'll be able to help me fight it and get it reduced. Paying $750 right now for a lawyer is better than paying $500 more for insurance every 6 months for the next 3 years.
Old 12-06-2007, 05:24 AM
More speed needed

Originally Posted by Bearcat94
That's an admission of guilt, i.e., you're convicted. In most places 20 over is Reckless Operation, Reckless Endangerment or something similar. Plus the big $$$$ fine.

Your insurance is going to go through the roof if you plead. Especially if you're 16. That might hang with you (and your insurance rates) until you're ~24.

You should try to get a reduction to speeding. It'll still cost you points and/or insurance, but better than Reckless Op. Consider contacting a lawyer - could be cheaper in the long run.

The officer said she just gave me a ticket for speeding and didn't say anything else. The charge only says Speed 70/40. So hopefully all i have is speeding.
Old 12-06-2007, 09:14 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
The officer said she just gave me a ticket for speeding and didn't say anything else. The charge only says Speed 70/40. So hopefully all i have is speeding.
70/40 is reckless unless they down grade it, equipment malfunction or something. Your main worry should be what your insurance premiums are going to look like after the government gets done whacking you.
Old 12-06-2007, 12:09 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
70/40 is reckless unless they down grade it, equipment malfunction or something. Your main worry should be what your insurance premiums are going to look like after the government gets done whacking you.

yep, i got that ticket too. 70 in a 40 in a national park so mine was federal. it was $280 dollars and i decided to pay it cause there is no way to argue out of that one, the cop used a self calliberating laser from half a mile away so i couldn't ask to see the call. records which is a bs way to delay the ticket and possibly get it dropped. my insurance went up $100. but im sorry alot of people would have done the same thing, i was driving on a highway in the middle of an amazing forest and then there is the looong bridge with a beautiful straight away. but i should have know thats a prime spot, i had a detector and it went off along time before i even saw the cop but it was still too late he said i slowed from 70 to 35 in a split second. thank you tl for the good brakes
Old 12-06-2007, 01:05 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by K-80-123
Just wondering how fast you have had your TL up to??....I only have 500 miles on mine and took it up to 120 mph on a flat deserted road with perfect pavement....It was still pulling and was very stable at that speed...I am stock and staying that way...what is the top speed?
You might want to break it in a bit longer before warping your valves. Remember, its got a special oil from the factory. Don't worry, there's plenty of time later to push your car.
Old 12-06-2007, 01:11 PM
3rd Gear

Had my TL just two weeks, and got stopped - but luckily, the officer was called away and simply said, "Slow down pal" Lucky me, no ticket (Oh, I was doing a whopping 67 in a 55 zone).

But then again, I got stopped in Mt. Tabor, Vermont. My crime? Doing 55 in a 50 zone. The townie mountie saw my out of state plates and ticketed me.

My crime? FIVE MPH over the limit. Fine? $125. By the way, he is famous for writing more tickets than any other cop in Vermont...some $1.5 million/year. That's why Mt. Tabor's still "in business" - thanks to this A-hole and how he protects the public from menaces like ME!

Atta boy! Don't we all feel much safer, now?
Old 12-06-2007, 06:06 PM
More speed needed

Originally Posted by Johnnyb380
yep, i got that ticket too. 70 in a 40 in a national park so mine was federal. it was $280 dollars and i decided to pay it cause there is no way to argue out of that one, the cop used a self calliberating laser from half a mile away so i couldn't ask to see the call. records which is a bs way to delay the ticket and possibly get it dropped. my insurance went up $100. but im sorry alot of people would have done the same thing, i was driving on a highway in the middle of an amazing forest and then there is the looong bridge with a beautiful straight away. but i should have know thats a prime spot, i had a detector and it went off along time before i even saw the cop but it was still too late he said i slowed from 70 to 35 in a split second. thank you tl for the good brakes

Crap. Well my dad said i should take the defensive driving course to try and keep the insurance down. So that should keep the insurance from spiking too much. But i'm sure it will be more and the ticket will be pretty big. But i'm 16 so i need to have an adult present with me to get it taken care of.
Old 12-06-2007, 06:38 PM
More speed needed

Crap. Well my dad said i should take the defensive driving course to try and keep the insurance down. So that should keep the insurance from spiking too much. But i'm sure it will be more and the ticket will be pretty big. But i'm 16 so i need to have an adult present with me to get it taken care of.
Well i talked to my dad on the phone and he said more than 25 over the limit and i can't get out with defensive driving according to the city. So we may have to fight it becuase between the $300 fine and insurance increases, it will cost tons.
Old 12-06-2007, 07:31 PM
Advanced

115 mph on SR-60, smooth payment and a bit of curiosity as to just how stable the car has been said to be...
Old 12-06-2007, 07:32 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Originally Posted by Bearcat94

Check the statute - most states will have reckless somewhere around 30 over, and even then it's not cited very often. I'd be more worried about a possible license suspension.
Old 12-06-2007, 07:37 PM
Turd Polisher

Received 3,017 Likes on 1,515 Posts
Originally Posted by RGedzelman
Had my TL just two weeks, and got stopped - but luckily, the officer was called away and simply said, "Slow down pal" Lucky me, no ticket (Oh, I was doing a whopping 67 in a 55 zone).

But then again, I got stopped in Mt. Tabor, Vermont. My crime? Doing 55 in a 50 zone. The townie mountie saw my out of state plates and ticketed me.

My crime? FIVE MPH over the limit. Fine? $125. By the way, he is famous for writing more tickets than any other cop in Vermont...some $1.5 million/year. That's why Mt. Tabor's still "in business" - thanks to this A-hole and how he protects the public from menaces like ME!

Atta boy! Don't we all feel much safer, now?
5mph is absolutely ridiculous. Did you fight or pay it?
Old 12-06-2007, 07:42 PM
Intermediate

120 cause some punk ass in a A-4 thought he was all that!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-06-2007, 08:24 PM
horny =

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
TL would never go over 80.

Back in the day when I was stupid without the kid and wife....147 in a CLS. Not proud since I have grown up.
Old 12-06-2007, 09:29 PM
The Golden One

No TL yet...but:
  • 110mph (couldn't go any faster) on my first car...1990 Geo Storm
  • 122mph on my next car...92 AWD 2.5GT Subaru Legacy (Turbo) - Running from PoPo and getting arrested with reckless driving, reckless endangerment, unsafe passing, speeding (60 in a 45) and speeding in a workzone (120+ in a 35)...age 16 (I'm 20 now and haven't had a ticket since then)...got lucky...no record to speak of as of 12/6/07 at 10:25pm lol. Yes I know, I was stupid, but I grew up since and rarely go over 80 now.
  • 136mph on my next car...1997 Nissan Maxima GXE
  • 120mph on my current car...1999 Nissan Maxima SE

Here is a picture of my current 1999 Maxima...in FL (this past august and yes that mileage is actual...42k on a 99 baby!) at 2am on a long bridge with no traffic, u-turns, or on-ramps (meaning, no cops to get me).

Old 12-06-2007, 10:50 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
How much was your ticket when you were 16?
Old 12-07-2007, 01:18 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Johnnyb380
yeah if the officer uses lidar, the radar detector is useless, as it's instant-on...meaning it will not go off until he pulls the trigger
Old 12-07-2007, 03:55 AM
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Well, as expected i finally got a ticket. Going home from confirmation class i was going 70 in a 40. Got the ticket but i don't know how much it will be. Court date on the second of january. Hopefully i can pay and not half to hit it up.
i feel you buddy!!! i got pulled over doing 127 on I-525...got REALLY lucky though; he tagged me for negligible driving ONLY...but i got a lawyer and got that taken care of...
Old 12-07-2007, 05:44 AM
More speed needed

Originally Posted by erick3
i feel you buddy!!! i got pulled over doing 127 on I-525...got REALLY lucky though; he tagged me for negligible driving ONLY...but i got a lawyer and got that taken care of...
What did the lawyer do?
Old 12-07-2007, 07:55 AM
The Golden One

Originally Posted by subinf
How much was your ticket when you were 16?
Well here's the story. I was going home from school that day...it was May 2006. Nice day, so I had the windows down and the music up on my 92 Subie...I had 2 other kids in my car that I was bringing home (I was going home first to get my dads deposit slip so I could go to the bank and cash my own check in one shot instead of doing two trips). Well, I'm driving behind this kid who's also from my school (didn't really know him though as he was a senior and I was a junior), and he's doing 60 in a 45...so I am as well. Then, around this one bend there was a cop sitting there in the grass and immediately as he saw us he hit his lights. Now, I don't know to this day what made me take off as I've had many tickets before that (but no points or record cause they all got reduced to parking or something stupid), so I normally would have pulled over. Well, not that day. I don't know if it was the music I had on (techno) or that I was showing off in front of the guys, but I took f'in off. Passed the kid, took a tight turn (this is in rural Albany county by the way) at like 75mph (drifting my AWD pretty much) and then down the road from the turn was a work crew repairing the road. I blew through the work zone, according to the ticket, at 120+. Next up was a car in front of me and an approaching corner that I could not see around...and yup, you guessed it, a car coming my way. The kid in my front passenger seat knew what I was going to do...so he's like "I don't want to die". Well the car coming past me just passed the car in front of me and I blew through there like a bat out of hell. Turns out, the car in front of me was my classmate. That's how the entire school found out the next day because I "almost killed her" (I was closer to the other car than hers). Anyway...I live on a corner, and my neighbor has A LOT of trees next to the road that when in full bloom...you CAN NOT see through. So I whip my car (handbrake and all) into his driveway (which is gravel) and get behind those trees. I had lost the cop prior to this, but he found me because he saw a lot of dust and smoke (from the gravel, etc.). And that's how I got arrested. Lucky for me...I know some cops (I live on a tight corner and have about 5 accidents outside my door every winter) and one of them was in the station and talked to the judge for me. She let me go with no bail, bond. On my own recognizance as they say.

I went to court 10 times in 9 months...on the 10th time I finally got my punishment: 3 years probation, and $300 for one of the misdemeanors. If I completed probation, my record would be cleaned out as per Youthful Offender status laws. My lawyer (who I paid $500 for) also told the DA/Judge that I planned to pursue a career in IT (which I currently work in) and that I might work for the state, which doesn't really like criminals lol. I think this was one of the factors why they went so easy on me. The other was probably because I had a letter from my teacher about how good of a kid I was lol.

I only did 1.5 years of probation due to perfect behaviour. I'm a pentecostal christian and practice my religion regularly (go to church every sunday and most wednesday nights, go to many youth conferences/retreats, etc.), so my PO felt like I didn't need to be there because I just made a stupid mistake and haven't had any problems before or since then.

So yeah...my record is clean. Sorry for the long read...but yeah...4 years later I haven't had a ticket since that day...and I definitely learned my lesson. Sometimes, that's just what it takes to learn life's more important lessons.
Old 12-07-2007, 09:04 AM
J35A8

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Well obviously you haven't learned your lesson if you're still driving excessively fast on public roads.
You're dangerous and don't deserve a license.
TG I don't go to school up there anymore.
Old 12-07-2007, 10:26 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by erick3

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/negligible
Old 12-07-2007, 11:09 AM
The Golden One

Originally Posted by korrupted
Well obviously you haven't learned your lesson if you're still driving excessively fast on public roads.
You're dangerous and don't deserve a license.
TG I don't go to school up there anymore.
Excuse me? I've gone over 80 maybe 5 times since that day.

And the times I do it's in the middle of the night on a THRUWAY with VERY little cars I'm out of town at least once a month - Rochester, Buffalo, Westfield MA, VA, PA, NJ, etc). But then again, you don't have to believe me because evidently you know the roads I drive on and when I've gone those speeds.

I was warned when I joined this forum to look out for assholes such as yourself.

Have a good day.
Old 12-07-2007, 12:56 PM
J35A8

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
So in the past 4 years you've only gone over 80, 5 times, and 40% of that time you exceeded 120mph AND you have a pic to prove it. Cut the BS.
Everyone in here probably speeds, np, but to drive that fast on public roads is just plain stupid and dangerous, even if that makes me an asshole.
I guess something like this has to happen before you learn.
Old 12-07-2007, 02:10 PM
The Golden One

Originally Posted by korrupted
So in the past 4 years you've only gone over 80, 5 times, and 40% of that time you exceeded 120mph AND you have a pic to prove it. Cut the BS.
Everyone in here probably speeds, np, but to drive that fast on public roads is just plain stupid and dangerous, even if that makes me an asshole.
I guess something like this has to happen before you learn.
Yes...after that day, I have only gone above 80 5 or so times. I set my cruise at 78 when I am on the highway...and I don't go 30mph over the speed limit on local highways (that's just plain stupid). Whether you believe me or not is your own problem, not mine. But to tell someone they are dangerous is f'in stupid. You don't know me. For all you know, I might be 100x the driver you are, even at the age of 20.

End of discussion. Go back to what you were doing before you decided to be stupid and call someone you don't know AT ALL dangerous.
Old 12-07-2007, 02:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Enough of the personal attacks!

This thread is about speed. It's not for .

Keep on topic and don't get personal.

Thanks.
Old 12-07-2007, 02:22 PM
Race Director

Received 275 Likes on 159 Posts
Korrupted, I agree with you 100%. In the day time my top speed will between 60 and 70 on a highway early in the morning. I don't know where one can find open road in NYC in the day time to accomplish 100+

I've been to Albany numerous times, there are plenty of open road, so it's definitely possible to get good speed.

For me, late at night it's a different story, I can unleash to about 90-95, but not more, it's not worth the ticket or the points. My V1 already paid for itself a few dozen times.

If you want to go 100+ "safely", go the track or an abandoned road strip. Your little thrill is not worth my life or anyone elses.

I guess after being side swiped by an idiot going 90+, and me doing a 720 in the middle of a highway, I steer away from asswipes like that.... You can be the best driver in the world, but it's not you have to watch out for, its them.

In my 2000 TL, i did go up to 140mph, but with shitty warped rotors, I never repeated such a feast, haha....and then I got slotted Rotoras.

Ilya, ne obizhaisja, poka.

PS If I do acquire a 08 TL Type-S, I will revisit this thread with #s.
Old 12-07-2007, 02:25 PM
Race Director

Received 275 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally Posted by Xpditor
Enough of the personal attacks!

This thread is about speed. It's not for .

Keep on topic and don't get personal.

Thanks.
You couldn't post that msg earlier, lol. Sorry about my 2 cents on top.

Old 12-07-2007, 05:30 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by TylerT
5mph is absolutely ridiculous. Did you fight or pay it?
Paid it. It's a 230 mile drive from my house to Vermont, and 230 miles back.

The cop would show up in court...in Mt. Tabor! Do you honestly think the Mt. Tabor Judge would deny what the Mt. Tabor cop said.

It's a losing proposition for me...and nothing but a money maker for them

I paid it.
Old 01-04-2008, 06:29 PM
5th Gear

Driving on a 3 lane 5 mile long empty stretch of Highway between the cities of Izmir and Cesme in Turkey. Got it up to 135 on the first strech then upto 145 mph on the next . Did notice the engine light was blinking for about 5 seconds. A friend whos a tuner suggested I turn the VSA off and that the automatic transmission has a problem shifting if your gunning it at those speeds. Thus causing the the check engine light to blink. The turkish cops use radar as well but wont take your license away for speeding. Youll just get a hefty ticket. The Turks really know their cars and they all stare and ask who makes the Acura since they dont have them in Turkey. Seeing what prices they pay for there cars here the TL would easily sell for $85000. Thats why they are shocked when I tell them I got it in the mid 30's.The attention was nice at first but now I rather not have everyone staring and point at my car like its a Ferrari.
Old 01-04-2008, 07:20 PM
06 RBP non navi

120+ mph
Old 01-04-2008, 08:31 PM
Mile High

in my 02 TLS. This was on a rural road coming down from a mountain pass, I could see for miles, and it was at 5am so no one out.

Would I do it again? no.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:04 PM
Intermediate

I've gone 110 in my TL, 165 (adjusted) on my R6, and 195 on a Hayabusa. I love speed

Quick Reply: How fast have you had your TL ?