Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do others react to your TL?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2004, 05:08 PM
TL hacker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How do others react to your TL?

There aren't that many TLs in my area and probably not a single one where my parents live.

I've been noticing that people have strange reactions to my TL navi. First of all is when they see it. Some people just don't have a clue what it is and I can see passengers in other cars looking at my rear searching for the name (i.e. Acura TL).

Next is the Navi system. Many people just haven't seen one in a car before. I mean really, probably 90% of the cars on the road don't have a navi system at all!

Next is when I tell them the navi, radio and climate control is voice activated. Usually when I demonstrate this I see jaws dropping on the ground.

Or when I tell them I have DVD-audio surrond sound. Most people think I can play DVD movies on the navi screen. I then have to explain to them the differences between an audio CD and DVD audio disc. Most people have no clue about DVD-audio.

Then there's the handsfreelink. Sometimes when I'm on the phone people in other cars and on street corners look at me strangely. Then I do the "I'm on the phone" gesture with my thumb and pinky sticking out. That's when I see them looking for my phone on the dash or a headset hanging off my ear. I keep my phone in the upper center compartement so they never see it.

And then there's the power. Every so often I fly by some older mustangs and the like and they got this look on their faces: "A Jap 4 door can do that?"

Anyway, I'm often amused by people's reactions to the TL. Especially the "No way... you don't have THAT in your car, do you?" reactions.

Little story: I pick up a girl in a bar. We're driving back to her place. I usually keep my temperature at 25 degrees celcius. She says: "It's too cold". I hit the talk button and say "Passenger temperature 28 degrees". She hears silicon sally respond. She looks at me in amazement and asks: "What did you just do?". I respond: "I told the car to make it warmer on your side". Now she's looking at me with irises shapped like little hearts. LOL!
Old 07-21-2004, 05:10 PM
You touch my tra la la...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Everyone who sits in, rides in, or sees my car thinks its awesome. And I do get A LOT of looks on the road. I love the praise and attention.

Btw, nice color choice, from another 5AT, SSM/Ebony, Navi owner .
Old 07-21-2004, 05:14 PM
TL hacker

When you get people in your TL, do you do the DVD-audio demo, handsfreelink demo and voice control demo? And then watch how they react?

It's funny isn't it?
Old 07-21-2004, 05:25 PM
You touch my tra la la...

I used to, but now its kind of a waste of time. I mean, I love to show it off and stuff, but sometimes people get into my car to get from point A to point B, say nice car, and really don't want a demo. If its a friend though I give them the whole rundown .
Old 07-21-2004, 05:34 PM
Overlord of Networking

"I told the car to make it warmer on your side". Now she's looking at me with irises shapped like little hearts. LOL!
God, I just love a woman who has a thing for technology. I can respect that
Old 07-21-2004, 05:47 PM
Kollage is funn!

I have a 03 TL-S nav in Satin Silver....if i see an 04 TL in silver with either a young driver or no front plate i give em the thumbs up...(i have no front plate). usually i get either a thanks or a thumbs up too

you guys kick ass on the road tho....i love the 04 tl
Old 07-21-2004, 06:13 PM
GÜNnµ ¡Ï

i was actually thinking about this the other day.. But i have noticed that around here MIAMI... they are driven by i would say. ummmm 30-40 year olds.. i am only 22, i feel like kinda young. But at the same time i wonder if they are look at that BOY. Driving his Dads car.. when in fact its all mine. But whatever. About getting good remarks. Hell yea.. everyone loves it. And get alot good compliments. But once someone was saying that they see another TL they would flash lights or thumbs up.. I think here i do that and i get the two.. :fingerfawk: up!!! i guess people are drifferent here than up north states..
Old 07-21-2004, 06:56 PM
04 5AT ABP/Camel

Zeuser,

That is an excellent description. I often go through the same pitch as well.

BTW: How'd the date work out?
Old 07-21-2004, 07:53 PM
Advanced

Some of my friends told me I should have gotten a 3-series BMW...they are not my friends anymore
Old 07-21-2004, 08:06 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

My car gets mistaken for a champagne 2001 Lexus ES330 every day

BJ
Old 07-21-2004, 10:17 PM
Team Anthracite

people gather around and give me fellatio on the spot...

oh wait... no... they dont.
Old 07-21-2004, 11:48 PM
Racer

i get nothing but praises about the car. I LOVE IT. People are amazed by the voice command. You literally see their jaws drop. If only her dress with drop along with it.
Old 07-22-2004, 12:08 AM
Racer

A friend of ours recently "discovered" the new TL, and seems pretty taken with it. He hasn't really had a chance to see it up close, and I'm sure he doesn't know about all the features, but he was very impressed with the DVD-A stereo. Makes me laugh when he tells me "I saw a 3.2 TL today!" Haven't the heart to tell him that it's not only the old model, but I DROVE ONE FOR OVER 3 YEARS!!

Hehe thanks, TommyBoy - some of us gals are geeks too! In fact, this past year I out-geeked most of my friends thanks to a new PDA, cellphone and digital camera. Then again, these things happen when all your friends are geeks (ever been to a 3 hour dinner with programmers??).

One question about the voice activated stuff... how does it handle accents? Do you have to anunciate everything clearly? Depending on whom I'm around (between my American friends and my British family), my accent changes. I'm wondering if it'll get confused! LOL! "I say, old bean, be a jolly good chap and cool the passenger off, if you'd be so kind".
Old 07-22-2004, 12:35 AM
TL-SHAWD 6MT Rocks!

Originally Posted by GunnmeTaLCURA04
i was actually thinking about this the other day.. But i have noticed that around here MIAMI... they are driven by i would say. ummmm 30-40 year olds.. i am only 22, i feel like kinda young. But at the same time i wonder if they are look at that BOY. Driving his Dads car.. when in fact its all mine. But whatever. About getting good remarks. Hell yea.. everyone loves it. And get alot good compliments. But once someone was saying that they see another TL they would flash lights or thumbs up.. I think here i do that and i get the two.. :fingerfawk: up!!! i guess people are drifferent here than up north states..
maybe you should have a plate frame that reads:
"my dad drives a Porsche!"

so they know it's your TL!

Old 07-22-2004, 09:51 AM
Team Anthracite

Originally Posted by Pot80h
One question about the voice activated stuff... how does it handle accents? Do you have to anunciate everything clearly? Depending on whom I'm around (between my American friends and my British family), my accent changes. I'm wondering if it'll get confused! LOL! "I say, old bean, be a jolly good chap and cool the passenger off, if you'd be so kind".
Good question, maybe It'd recognize me better if I tried a British accent. Typically its fine, but for some reason, it never understands: 98.1 FM No idea why, I can give a whole other range of numbers, but that one (classical station here) just sends me off in weird ways; from showing ATM's, to 800 AM. I'll try a crappy british / irish / australian accent and see what happens. (That is all 3 at once; i'm not that good. )
Old 07-22-2004, 11:00 AM
TL hacker

Originally Posted by yano_jl
Zeuser,

That is an excellent description. I often go through the same pitch as well.

BTW: How'd the date work out?
Very well. My charm, not my looks (I look average), got her into the TL and I think the TL sealed the deal. LOL!

Anyway, nice girl and I'll probably call her again soon for another date. Hope she understands my busy schedule and why I can't call her every single day.
Old 07-22-2004, 11:04 AM
TL hacker

Originally Posted by GunnmeTaLCURA04
Do the cops pull you over sometimes? They're sometimes suspicious of 20 somethings driving cars like these.

I got pulled over when I went to see my parents. They probably never saw a '04 TL in that area ever. They said it was just a "verification", or spot check if you prefer. I think they just wanted to get a good look at my TL up close and personal. LOL!
Old 07-22-2004, 11:14 AM
Overlord of Networking

Originally Posted by Pot80h
Hehe thanks, TommyBoy - some of us gals are geeks too! In fact, this past year I out-geeked most of my friends thanks to a new PDA, cellphone and digital camera. Then again, these things happen when all your friends are geeks (ever been to a 3 hour dinner with programmers??).
Actually Pot80h I have,. Its ot fun i can tel you that. I really can appriciate a woman who likes technology as much as i do.)
Old 07-22-2004, 01:59 PM
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts
My SSM Navi AT was in an accident last week. The cop asked my how I liked the car as he was thinking of getting one. I told him its the best car I have ever owned. The guy at the car rental shop was impressed that I had a TL even though he didn't see it. He just knew from the insurance info that I had one.

People who know the car are impressed. People who don't usually end up impressed.
Old 07-22-2004, 02:04 PM
TL hacker

Sorry to hear about your accident smoore. Hope it isn't too bad.

Was this an O.P.P. cop?

Thank god it'll be his personal ride. Last thing I need is an undercover cop chasing me down in a TL. LOL!
Old 07-22-2004, 05:04 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
To Pot80h;

Dinner with programmers?? Yep, I'm a software engineer so I can vouch for that. I mean some people in this field are completely clueless.. as in weird. Do this for 9 to 10 hours a day then go home and mess with the home machine or dial up back to work for another 3 or 4 hours. In serious need of getting a life.
Old 07-22-2004, 05:44 PM
Instructor

Everyone loves the color and the interior/sound system blows them away.

For some reason every 350Z, MB, G35, etc. wants to race me to show how superior they are. A couple of days ago a white 350Z almost rear ended an SUV trying to show me how fast he was. The bait I use is to give it some gas at a light then shift at 5K and back off. The funny thing is I can hop in my old 92 EX and I'm invisible again.
Old 07-22-2004, 11:16 PM
Racer

Oh boy, I'm in trouble now...

Coming out of my dance class a couple of weeks ago, I spot a TL parked next to my car. I went over with a couple of the other girls to check it out. They seemed to like it too.

Flash forward to tonight. When I get to class, one girl yells out "Guess what I've bought!". She gets her new TL in about a week! She loved it on first sight, and so did her husband when they went to test drive it. They didn't even know what one was before I showed her.

But at least she's promised to take me for a ride when she gets it!
Old 07-23-2004, 12:30 AM
I don't have a Ferrari in

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
People drool over my car. Not literally of course because they would be dead and I would be in prison. I do the thing Zeuser did all the time with the passenger. I turn up the heat just to mess with them haha and I turn it cold again. They are like wtf how did you do that?! I always use voice commands when I have friends in the car. They never get bored. They even didnt know there was a button and one by one kept talking to my car like an idoit and for one of the cuter girls, i pressed the button to make her think shes good at working my ride
Old 07-23-2004, 02:31 AM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
having owned a 00 Tl w/ navi and an 03 type s TL i get a lot more attention in my 04TL. obviously b/c it looks better and performs better. its still not on par with my 99 XJR, but at half the cost i cant complain. anyway, the response is awesome.
Old 07-23-2004, 09:18 AM
04 5AT ABP/Camel

Originally Posted by Mylriahd
Good question, maybe It'd recognize me better if I tried a British accent. Typically its fine, but for some reason, it never understands: 98.1 FM No idea why, I can give a whole other range of numbers, but that one (classical station here) just sends me off in weird ways; from showing ATM's, to 800 AM. I'll try a crappy british / irish / australian accent and see what happens. (That is all 3 at once; i'm not that good. )
Give this a try:

Instead of saying the numbers as "ninety-eight point one", try "nine eight point one". I think the voice recognition routine often confuses "ninety" with "nineteen".
Old 07-25-2004, 06:52 PM
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Zeuser
Sorry to hear about your accident smoore. Hope it isn't too bad.

Was this an O.P.P. cop?

Thank god it'll be his personal ride. Last thing I need is an undercover cop chasing me down in a TL. LOL!
Metro cop and he was a good guy. The other driver was a female firefighter and she tried to intimidate my wife by flashing her badge and calling in a firetruck. She had made a left turn from WB Eglinton to go into FutureShop at Eglinton and Laird and my wife, who was going EB T-boned her. The cop told the firefighter right away that it was her fault. Her insurer tried to to move the fault to my wife by insisting my wife was in a a reserved bus lane. However, she was there after the reserved hours. The insurer paid without further debate.

Downtown Acura's bodyshop had to replace the bumper cover, grill, hood, rad and condensor and they did a great job. Got the car back on Friday and you couldn't tell it was in an accident. It looks a little "off" because I had two new coats of wax on the rest of the car. They told me to wait 30 days before I rewax the front end.

Oh BTW, my wife wasn't injured.