Sponsored by:

Honda / Acura Odometer Proposed Class Action Settlement

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 12:50 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Honda / Acura Odometer Proposed Class Action Settlement

Hello all,

Just as an FYI, you should take a look at this thread as it will affect just about all Acura/Honda's 2002 to 2006:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...298#post667298
Old 02-17-2007, 01:11 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Yes...I got that same letter a while ago.
Old 02-17-2007, 01:32 AM
Safety Car

Received 340 Likes on 278 Posts
Originally Posted by MichaelBenz
Yes...I got that same letter a while ago.

+1
Old 02-17-2007, 02:19 AM
Unofficial Goat

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts
hmmm i wonder if us canucks a re going too get a similar letter, i have a feeling they are just going to deny it in canada cause they only move about 5000units.
Old 02-17-2007, 06:45 AM
GO DAWGS!! SICK'EM!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
search before post
Old 02-17-2007, 10:30 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 02-17-2007, 10:34 AM
Burning Brakes

You see how much the lawyers want to get out of the deal! What a joke! Just like all class-action suits, the lawyers get a phat bag of money!
Old 02-17-2007, 11:13 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Originally Posted by HiTEC
You see how much the lawyers want to get out of the deal! What a joke! Just like all class-action suits, the lawyers get a phat bag of money!
I know...I thought the exact same thing. The poor guy who starting the whole thing and brought em the case only got 10 grand for gods sake....and the lawyers get millions? I am sure they can produce billable work to back it up...but you know how that works...1/2 hour becomes 6 hours, ect ect. enough...and you can justify it in a hurry! Class Action Law Suits are generally always a joke in the end.
Old 02-17-2007, 02:09 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Well without the lawyers people wouldn't be getting anything. There is a ton of shit to go over for class actions, its pretty complex litigation.
Old 02-17-2007, 04:44 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Originally Posted by subinf
Well without the lawyers people wouldn't be getting anything. There is a ton of shit to go over for class actions, its pretty complex litigation.
So you believe this kind of setup is fair as all get out then I would assume? I mean...I understand what up and that there IS work involved...but you dont feel that typically they are being overpaid grossly? I just find it hard to believe that somebody isnt being overpaid here to the max....thats usually how they get settlements. Heck...I have seen phone company class action suits go so far that the original plaintiff literally got like $1000 and the lawyers got tens of millions...now tell me the group of lawyers didnt sell out here on the plaintif when you see this type of thing. Its like....well....the lawyers got their fangs in us.....so we gotta pay em off. And they typically sell out on the original plaintif to get the pay in my opinion....its as if the defendants offer the lawyers HUGE money to sell out....and it appears that they usually do in the end. But again...thats just my opinion there.
Old 02-17-2007, 05:13 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by llwtsx
Hello all,

Just as an FYI, you should take a look at this thread as it will affect just about all Acura/Honda's 2002 to 2006:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...298#post667298
So does it mean that the newer Hondas/Acuras don't have the odometer problem anymore?
Old 02-17-2007, 05:25 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,149 Likes on 775 Posts
Class actions are supervised by the courts and useful...

So you believe this kind of setup is fair as all get out then I would assume? I mean...I understand what up and that there IS work involved...but you dont feel that typically they are being overpaid grossly? I just find it hard to believe that somebody isnt being overpaid here to the max....thats usually how they get settlements. Heck...I have seen phone company class action suits go so far that the original plaintiff literally got like $1000 and the lawyers got tens of millions...now tell me the group of lawyers didnt sell out here on the plaintif when you see this type of thing.
Take the following with a grain of salt since I am a litigator/trial lawyer in SoCal:
The class action is not to obtain damages for the named plaintiff, who is a class representative. The class action exists so that the class- many individuals-- can get some redress for a wrong which otherwise would have cost each consumer such a small amount that they would not otherwise sue and to disgorge improperly-obtained benefits from the defendant(s). The successful named plaintiffs in many of these cases may only get $5,000 or $10,000, but their actual measured damages were actually much less (sometimes $20 to $50 each, for example, or in the case of the Honda plaintiff, about $1,500 for the excess mileage, perhaps?).
The settlement terms, specifically including the attorneys' fees, are then submitted to the judge and counsel for all parties (including other named plaintiffs if there are additional lawsuits filed in other jurisdictions) to approve. Most judges prefer a modicum of honesty in the billing which is submitted to them.
I have only represented defendants in class action cases, and tried one to verdict (in which the plaintiffs and their attorneys were shafted although they "won" a judgment), but believe the class action is a useful form of litigation despite its overuse in many cases. The existence of actual or potential class action litigation is often a large part of the motivation for Ford to issue recalls on bad tires and bad ignition parts and gets Honda to cover bad transmissions, for example.
Old 02-17-2007, 05:46 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
So you believe this kind of setup is fair as all get out then I would assume? I mean...I understand what up and that there IS work involved...but you dont feel that typically they are being overpaid grossly? I just find it hard to believe that somebody isnt being overpaid here to the max....thats usually how they get settlements. Heck...I have seen phone company class action suits go so far that the original plaintiff literally got like $1000 and the lawyers got tens of millions...now tell me the group of lawyers didnt sell out here on the plaintif when you see this type of thing. Its like....well....the lawyers got their fangs in us.....so we gotta pay em off. And they typically sell out on the original plaintif to get the pay in my opinion....its as if the defendants offer the lawyers HUGE money to sell out....and it appears that they usually do in the end. But again...thats just my opinion there.

I see a class action as a suit that allows all similarly situated persons to get redress from a wrong. Do they get a huge payout? No, not usually. As I said before, class action litigation is a huge amount of work. You have to understand that it isn't just one or two attorneys taking the lions share; there are clerks, paralegals, etc. that go through a shitload of information before the case gets going and they have to be paid.

Although not a class action - look at the attorney fees Skilling racked up. While I do think the lead attorney does charge a little too much per hour, his legal staff had to go through over a billion pages of crap. That takes a lot of time.
Old 02-19-2007, 01:54 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by MDs1
So does it mean that the newer Hondas/Acuras don't have the odometer problem anymore?
Apparently, Honda changed the odometers in the '07 model year to more accurately compute the mileage, and/or to at least not overstate it.
Old 02-20-2007, 01:59 AM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
Proposed Settlement Class for Honda/Acura