Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hit Pothole

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2004, 09:46 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Hit Pothole

Dented inside of front rim. Now theres a flatspot on the rim on the inner edge where it hit the pothole on highway doing 65mph. The tire is okay but now what do I do about the rim? The car still goes straight as an arrow and no shimmy or pulling or vibration. Is it okay to drive on it? whats your opinions? I am so mad about this.
Old 04-29-2004, 09:47 PM
Racer

I cant believe the rim dented so easily.
Old 04-29-2004, 09:52 PM
Safety Car

awww dang i hate nyc potholes. i could swear i see ground hogs living in them they are so deep. if you take the rims to a wheel shop they can bang it back into shape. when i say bang i mean literally. how badly bent is it?
Old 04-29-2004, 10:00 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by caball88
awww dang i hate nyc potholes. i could swear i see ground hogs living in them they are so deep. if you take the rims to a wheel shop they can bang it back into shape. when i say bang i mean literally. how badly bent is it?
Yeah it was a deep pothole on the grand central eastbound near clearview expressway exit. When the wheel it it made a loud Bang allright. I felt sick as soon as it happened. The dent left about a 2-3" "flat spot on the inside rim lip. It didnt effect the ride, alignment, brakeing or the tire, but im still wondering if its safe to keep driving on it. Its in the front. I doesnt seem like the tire will blow out its still on the rim okay just the lip of the rim becam flat in one spot. do I need to fix it? I dont want it to be "banged" out and make the wheel wobble, im figuring if it is okay why touch it? what do you think? this really pisses me off i feel like sticking mayor bloombergs head in the pothole :devil:
Old 04-29-2004, 10:02 PM
Administrator

Received 1,006 Likes on 575 Posts
You should definitely get it checked. The dent could let air escape, or there could be a crack starting that you can't see. Don't want to unnecessarily alarm you, but it is better to be safe, particularly with the TL which likes to go fast.
Old 04-29-2004, 10:08 PM
Intermediate

i'd replace it. bent rims can lead to all kinds of problems later on as they rust + it looks like crap on your new car. ck the tire too, see if the side wall doesn't develop a bubble.
Old 04-29-2004, 10:10 PM
Safety Car

if its a 2-3" flat spot and is not a bent outward then i would leave it. the tire makes its seal with the rim closer to the inner circumference and not so much the edge of the wheel. its warm now so you will not see a problem with the wheel. its in the winter time that it may give you problems. the metal can shrink a bit in the cold and it can start to leak. i had a set of rims on my old car have this happen. they had to bang it back into shape. take it to a wheel shop and let them look at it first. i hate to see something bad happen while your driving. i drive the gcp everyday and all i feel is bump--bump-bump, it really sucks.
Old 04-29-2004, 11:39 PM
AC-RIGHT

I hit a pot hole as well and inside rim was bent...cost me $304. to replace one rim! ouch
Old 04-29-2004, 11:49 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by SilverTL
i'd replace it. bent rims can lead to all kinds of problems later on as they rust + it looks like crap on your new car. ck the tire too, see if the side wall doesn't develop a bubble.
I don't think rust will be a problem with an aluminum rim - I'd be more worried about a fracture though.
Old 04-30-2004, 05:47 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Nicki
Yeah it was a deep pothole on the grand central eastbound near clearview expressway exit. :devil:

Move to Jersey!! We have smaller potholes and no Bloomberg..........damn we do have McGreevy.

Old 04-30-2004, 06:06 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by Nicki
Dented inside of front rim. Now theres a flatspot on the rim on the inner edge where it hit the pothole on highway doing 65mph. The tire is okay but now what do I do about the rim? The car still goes straight as an arrow and no shimmy or pulling or vibration. Is it okay to drive on it? whats your opinions? I am so mad about this.
I woudl replace it, I can;t find it now, but there was an Acura dealer online in CA I beleive that was selling the stick whell for $221 + shipping. I called my dealer and haggled him down to $225 + tax for mine. List is I beleive $269, but my dealer originally was asking $299.
Old 04-30-2004, 06:21 AM
Team Anthracite Member

All our potholes are filled with loose rocks and gravel which machine-gun your car up and down Rt. 287 - we have no paint left on our cars...but our rims are brand-new... :banghead:

Originally Posted by mattlana
Move to Jersey!! We have smaller potholes and no Bloomberg..........damn we do have McGreevy.

Old 04-30-2004, 06:35 AM
Pug
Team Camel, VP for Zaino

I-78

There are a few doozies on I-78 westbound express, especially near the Newark Clinton Ave exit.
Old 04-30-2004, 07:15 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Pug
There are a few doozies on I-78 westbound express, especially near the Newark Clinton Ave exit.
I have never seen families living in them as I have on the Belt Pkwy.

Teehee............
Old 04-30-2004, 07:28 AM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I have never seen families living in them as I have on the Belt Pkwy.

Teehee............
hahaha tell me about it... this winter was one of the worst for the belt. I swear I could of been completely inside one.
Old 04-30-2004, 07:37 AM
Instructor

To bad they don't show up on the Navi,,,,ha, that will be next years option
Old 04-30-2004, 07:42 AM
Kelnshe

I know that you all may start laughing, but won't the city pay for the damage to the rims caused by potholes? I'm from Dayton, OH, and if a pothole causes damage to your car, you can take pictures of the pothole and the rim damage, fill out some paperwork and submit it to the city, and they will replace your rims with the same or like rims. I had a friend of mine with an Eagle Talon, and he hit a pothole that damaged two rims (one tire) and the city paid over $700 to reimburse him. I would imagine in place like NY or LA it would be a nightmare to get the city to do anything, so it would just add insult to injury.
Old 04-30-2004, 07:43 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bent rims can be fixed. Check your local listings. If damage is too severe replacement is the only option. If replacement is required, the tire is probably internally damaged and should be replaced also.
Old 04-30-2004, 07:46 AM
Newbie for Life

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Nicki - Like Caball said, take it to a wheel shop first and I know this from experience with my Saab. Within a span of 12 months I hit the same dreaded pothole twice (I know, should have learned my lesson the first time but only drive that way two or three times a year). First time I took it to my Saab authorized service shop and they charged me something like $289 per wheel and I needed two wheels and two new tires. The next time, I got smarter and on someone else's advice I took it to a wheel shop called here in the Midwest, Mr. Wheel. They reconditioned one wheel (wasn't bent that bad) for $75 and then they found a refurbished wheel which was like new for $100 for me. On the wheels alone I saved $400 or thereabouts....and to think Saab actually "gave me a deal" on those new wheels - riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

Take it to a wheel shop first and see what they can do....I know they can work miracles on rims and I wish the search feature could find Spud's (former Acura TL.com member) pictures of his before repair and after repair.

Good luck!
Old 04-30-2004, 07:50 AM
Newbie for Life

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by kelnshe
I know that you all may start laughing, but won't the city pay for the damage to the rims caused by potholes? I'm from Dayton, OH, and if a pothole causes damage to your car, you can take pictures of the pothole and the rim damage, fill out some paperwork and submit it to the city, and they will replace your rims with the same or like rims. I had a friend of mine with an Eagle Talon, and he hit a pothole that damaged two rims (one tire) and the city paid over $700 to reimburse him. I would imagine in place like NY or LA it would be a nightmare to get the city to do anything, so it would just add insult to injury.
This is all up to the city's tort claim departments - they have the final say-so whether or not the city pays for the damage. I filed both times when I caused all sorts of damage and took pictures and the whole nine yards - no dice.

Might be worth a shot though.....I'm sure NYC has a tort claims web page on their web site. Good suggestion kelneshe!
Old 04-30-2004, 07:51 AM
Black

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
I've had this happen before on my A4 and S4 (on 17" wheels).

Should be okay (I drove from NYC > Boston > NYC without any real issues) but you WILL LOSE AIR. Slow leak scenario.

Note that some wheel/tire shops will refuse to install tires and cannot properly balance them with a dented rim.

-josh