3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Highway rear end....TL is totaled, it seems.

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2015, 03:01 PM
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by dezymond
Don't know. Probably some idiot speeding. How the hell they hit me considering I was all the way on the right is beyond me. Judging by the damage they seemed to have come from one of the 3 lanes over.

Either way I've moved on. Picked up a 2015 TLX Advance last week. Loving it so far.
Congrats on the new ride. Hope to still see you around the TL forums! Hope to see pictures of the new ride soon!
Old 11-07-2015, 03:38 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 319 Likes on 228 Posts
Originally Posted by tristann616
Congrats on the new ride. Hope to still see you around the TL forums! Hope to see pictures of the new ride soon!
I'll stick around here, first place I went to as an AcuraZine member. You guys have helped me so much with my TL in the past, hopefully I can return the favor.

I haven't taken many pictures of my TLX but it's a white with espresso interior. I don't have any mods planned for it as I don't have much to spend on it. I got some weathertech mats coming in, bought a rear seat cover, and next on the list is tint but that's pretty far down the road for now. Plus I like the interior to show a bit for now.

I haven't even posted pics in the TLX section. Considering it's 100% stock I don't think it's worth putting up pics, plus it's really dirty. Haven't had time to wash it and with rain predicted for the next two days I can't give it a proper detail either.
Old 11-07-2015, 04:08 PM
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
Yesterday I retrieved some stuff from the trunk. It was officially goodbye to my TL. I was a bit sad, I didn't have it long. Can't believe my last memory of it was me getting rearended but it kept me safe. I can't believe how mangled it got.

RIP TL. About 26k miles in a short 16 months

I've been in your position and I know the feeling. It's a bittersweet parting. I totaled an Accord coupe I'd owned for a long time. I was lucky to find a TSX at a ridiculous price the very next day. I had to come and retrieve my personal stuff from the Accord and it was sad to see the condition it was in. And walking away from it for what I knew was the last time was like walking away from an old friend. At the same time I was excited to hop into the TSX as it was my first Acura (it has since been sold for my TL).

Post pics of the TLX when you get a chance. Would love to see it!
Old 11-07-2015, 04:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Acuramon
I've been in your position and I know the feeling. It's a bittersweet parting. I totaled an Accord coupe I'd owned for a long time. I was lucky to find a TSX at a ridiculous price the very next day. I had to come and retrieve my personal stuff from the Accord and it was sad to see the condition it was in. And walking away from it for what I knew was the last time was like walking away from an old friend. At the same time I was excited to hop into the TSX as it was my first Acura (it has since been sold for my TL).

Post pics of the TLX when you get a chance. Would love to see it!
It really is sad. The 3G TL was one of the cars I wanted most since it first came out, and I was just about completely happy with it throughout my ownership of one. Leaving it in that condition, with the amount of time I took to clean it up, keeping it clean, and adding my own little touches, yeah it hurts. It did its job in protecting me though, I've truly been grateful for every day I've woken up since the accident. It made me realize how bad things can turn in just a matter of seconds and how out of control sometimes life can be. Stay safe out there and keep a constant look out on your surroundings.

I'll get some good shots of the TLX one day, well as good as my Note 5 will take (which is pretty damn good to me lol). It just needs a proper cleaning, which hopefully can be next weekend. I didn't post any pics of it the day I picked it up because it was dark by then already and by the next day it was raining already

Last edited by dezymond; 11-07-2015 at 04:20 PM.
Old 11-07-2015, 04:50 PM
06 Anthracite TL

Received 333 Likes on 257 Posts
Sorry to see the 3G that way, but as you said, it did its job protecting you. Good luck with the TLX! That (unfortunately) looks like a very severe hit. As our 3Gs age, even with a relatively minor hit, they're much easier to total from an insurance standpoint
Old 11-07-2015, 05:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by erdoc48
Sorry to see the 3G that way, but as you said, it did its job protecting you. Good luck with the TLX! That (unfortunately) looks like a very severe hit. As our 3Gs age, even with a relatively minor hit, they're much easier to total from an insurance standpoint
Hehe I assure you my accident wasn't minor. Story posted in first post, but that damage with me going roughly 68mph, don't even want to think about how fast the other car was going, other than too damn fast.

It was totaled, but I got 91% of my money back from the purchase price, pretty damn good return.

I asked the auction yard people and they said it would be strictly used for parting out. I think the appraiser had it set at about $23k worth of repairs.
Old 11-07-2015, 05:35 PM
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
hope you are okay and so is everything else!
Old 11-07-2015, 08:01 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by dwk331
hope you are okay and so is everything else!
I'm doing great. Neck was stiff from about a week since it was a strain, but otherwise physically I'm ok. Couple nights of lost sleep since I had so many things running through my head, but it all settled down, resumed life as if it almost didn't happen.

Now if only I could hear from my insurance about the idiot's insurance contacting them.
Old 11-08-2015, 07:19 AM
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I'll stick around here, first place I went to as an AcuraZine member. You guys have helped me so much with my TL in the past, hopefully I can return the favor.

I haven't taken many pictures of my TLX but it's a white with espresso interior. I don't have any mods planned for it as I don't have much to spend on it. I got some weathertech mats coming in, bought a rear seat cover, and next on the list is tint but that's pretty far down the road for now. Plus I like the interior to show a bit for now.

I haven't even posted pics in the TLX section. Considering it's 100% stock I don't think it's worth putting up pics, plus it's really dirty. Haven't had time to wash it and with rain predicted for the next two days I can't give it a proper detail either.
That's great, the TL was my dream car too. It sucks, my parents always say that you can't control what other people do on the road, and in cases like yours, it really rings true. Like you said, the TL really did it's job protecting you. There have been times where my TL has protected me from really shitty situations through other means but I'm glad you're okay!

That TLX sounds awesome. I love the TLX, I don't care what other think, but I think it's a fairly good looking car. Takes a lot of 3G TL DNA in its styling. Glad that you'll be around, though! You'll have fun in the TLX, I'm sure. It's a pretty good car, and I think even though it has a conservative design, it still gets a few looks on the street (at least from me haha)
Old 11-08-2015, 10:51 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by tristann616
That's great, the TL was my dream car too. It sucks, my parents always say that you can't control what other people do on the road, and in cases like yours, it really rings true. Like you said, the TL really did it's job protecting you. There have been times where my TL has protected me from really shitty situations through other means but I'm glad you're okay!

That TLX sounds awesome. I love the TLX, I don't care what other think, but I think it's a fairly good looking car. Takes a lot of 3G TL DNA in its styling. Glad that you'll be around, though! You'll have fun in the TLX, I'm sure. It's a pretty good car, and I think even though it has a conservative design, it still gets a few looks on the street (at least from me haha)
There's a reason there are so many different cars on the road; they all have their differences to please different people. The TLX just about hit everything I was looking for in my next car. The 3G and TLX share alot of similarities which I really like.

I think it is a bit "conservative" of a design, but it's a good looking car. I had it parked next to my mom's GS350 F sport, and they are pretty similar looking, but look fairly different at the same time. Both look good imo.

Acura strayed away from conservative with the 4G and I don't like it, no offense to those who do like it, but it just wasn't my good looking in my eyes. So I'm glad Acura went back to the drawing board and put out a good looking sedan again. They tried different and it was a mix review, same with this TLX, but no one is calling the TLX ugly just "boring".
Old 11-08-2015, 01:02 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,692 Likes on 1,307 Posts
which TLX you go with? DCT or ZF-9?
Old 11-08-2015, 01:28 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by truonghthe
which TLX you go with? DCT or ZF-9?
Zf-9. And yes I heard of the issues but I haven't felt anything bad with it. I got 500mi on it.
Old 11-08-2015, 01:31 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Congrats, Dezy. Hope it brings you years of smiles!!
Old 11-08-2015, 01:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Zf-9. And yes I heard of the issues but I haven't felt anything bad with it. I got 500mi on it.
congrats man, the problem I have with ZF9 is the car ran like grampa in normal mode, I have to leave it in sport or sport plus mode in order to mimic the way my TL drive. Oh also abit confuse of choosing 3rd or 4th gear.
Old 11-08-2015, 02:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

congrats man, the problem I have with ZF9 is the car ran like grampa in normal mode, I have to leave it in sport or sport plus mode in order to mimic the way my TL drive. Oh also abit confuse of choosing 3rd or 4th gear.
Honestly, I always driven pretty grampa like, so the TLX seems quick enough to me. I haven't pushed it yet but it does have some pretty good pickup.

I admit I've only been driving it in eco mode. I did a bit more driving than my usual commute this past week due to two extra trips, but I wanted to see how good a mileage I could get on that first tank of gas.

I did try sport mode for a bit and there is an immediate difference between that an eco, throttle response is much better and it feels more precise. I won't be using sport mode for awhile as the engine is still breaking in, but I will eventually. I know the TLX has potential for a fun spirited drive, just not anytime soon. Even in eco mode it feels pretty nice on backroads.

In terms of driving experience, the TL had a better feel to it. It felt more connected and I loved the heavier steering of the TL, something definitely not found in the TLX. The TLX still handles great, but it does feel "disconnected" compared to the TL. Comfort level, hands down the TLX wins and I can't believe the ride quality for the price. I like to think of it as Acura money for Mercedes/Lexus ride quality.

Last edited by dezymond; 11-08-2015 at 02:47 PM.
Old 11-08-2015, 03:05 PM
Suzuka Master

^^^that because Honda went from double wishbone up front to Mcpherson set up also they up size the tire profile hint you gain in ride conform but loose in ability of cornering. I mean grampa like because I tend to push the pedal more (pedal travel) than I need to to speed up and pass someone. As far as MPG went it actually surprise me, I use the car for 100 miles mix 20% freeway and 80% city (mix between normal and sport IDS) got 22 MPG out the whole ordeal. And by no mean I am sparing the MPG. I also note when you put the IDS from normal to Eco the AC blow air less than in normal mode.
Old 11-08-2015, 03:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

^^^that because Honda went from double wishbone up front to Mcpherson set up also they up size the tire profile hint you gain in ride conform but loose in ability of cornering. I mean grampa like because I tend to push the pedal more (pedal travel) than I need to to speed up and pass someone. As far as MPG went it actually surprise me, I use the car for 100 miles mix 20% freeway and 80% city (mix between normal and sport IDS) got 22 MPG out the whole ordeal. And by no mean I am sparing the MPG. I also note when you put the IDS from normal to Eco the AC blow air less than in normal mode.
I'll have to try that out. It wouldn't surprise me, I think some of the older Hondas when they first implemented the "eco button" did this. It's been cold enough here the past week so haven't even used AC, just had the recirculation off and it's been cool enough.

It has plenty of power to pass anyone though. I'm just impressed overall with the package the TLX comes in; comfort, technology, quality, etc. I am getting used to that dual screen setup as much as I don't like it, and even though it's "quality" plastic, there's alot of it.
Old 11-11-2015, 03:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

Finally got around to some pictures after a bit of a detail. Rain is predicted over the weekend, but I couldn't stand how dirty it was and that it wasn't protected.

I can't believe the amount of dirt specks embedded into the paint/coat already after one week. Maintaining the clean white paint is going to be a challenge, but at least it's got some sealant on it now. It is definitely cleaner than the day I picked it up as well.

- wash with ONR
- clay bar with ONR
- apply Menzerna power sealant
- Armor All on the tires

Onto the pics. I did not take a pic of the rear because it has the Acura Rear Seat covers on it and also a seat cover on top of that. It's dirty since I took my dog to the dog park this morning.

Old 11-11-2015, 04:09 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
Great color combo OP, hope it treats you well!
Old 11-11-2015, 04:11 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 360 Likes on 319 Posts
how you liking the TLX so far?
Old 11-11-2015, 04:12 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
The one mod I'd do right away.. grandpa driving or not..

What are those????

Some of the worst OE tires eva!! Sell 'em, get better (upgraded) tires.. maybe some Conti DW 255s..
Old 11-11-2015, 04:19 PM
2016 Acura TLX

Received 137 Likes on 89 Posts
Congrats dude!!! I see you got it from Pleasanton also. They were pretty easy to work with when my parents bought their MDX earlier this year and also for providing pricing on a new TLX. Who'd you deal with?
Old 11-11-2015, 04:33 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Jakes_tl
how you liking the TLX so far?
The more I drive it the more I really like it. Super comfortable, very quiet, handles great, and gets great mileage.

I really like the IDS, I turned it to Sport mode the other day since I had some time between shifts and took it to a nice backroad, the car handled so differently in Sport vs Eco mode. Everything felt more responsive especially steering. Completely different personalities and it can really match how I want to drive. Though yes, 80% of the time I drive like a grandpa.

Originally Posted by Majofo
The one mod I'd do right away.. grandpa driving or not..

What are those????

Some of the worst OE tires eva!! Sell 'em, get better (upgraded) tires.. maybe some Conti DW 255s..
Yeah my next set I think I'll go back to Pirelli Cinturato P7s. I had those on my TL and they were a great set of tires.

I have heard good things about those Conti tires, but that decision won't be for awhile. I know these Potenza tires get sorta loud after 10,000mi though...

Last edited by dezymond; 11-11-2015 at 04:37 PM.
Old 11-11-2015, 04:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by honda_nut
Congrats dude!!! I see you got it from Pleasanton also. They were pretty easy to work with when my parents bought their MDX earlier this year and also for providing pricing on a new TLX. Who'd you deal with?
I was in talks with three different dealers online with the Internet Managers; Concord, Pleasanton, Stevens Creek. I originally test drove at Fremont, but the guy I test drove with was out of town for the week and I didn't want to go to someone else within Fremont dealership.

I dealt with Stephen Lao, the Internet Sales Manager. I sent him a quote from Concord dealer and he said he would beat it. Process was quick and painless.

Only reason I didn't go with Concord is because their guy wasn't open to any negotiations. I tried multiple times, but he said "I gave you my best price and been transparent blah blah" and that ticked me off. It'd be a good 45-60min drive for me to Concord and he wasn't willing to negotiate.
Old 11-11-2015, 05:13 PM
2016 Acura TLX

Received 137 Likes on 89 Posts
Stephen was the guy that finalized our purchase too.

For some reason the Concord dealer just seems to be rude. We dealt with them when the 2G MDX first came out, and their attitude was terrible causing us to cross off the new car purchase. Didn't look at MDX's again until 7 years later lol. Tried calling them again for pricing and their guy was like "What stops you from calling someone else afterwards ...." And I hung up on the guy.
Old 11-11-2015, 05:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by honda_nut
Stephen was the guy that finalized our purchase too.

For some reason the Concord dealer just seems to be rude. We dealt with them when the 2G MDX first came out, and their attitude was terrible causing us to cross off the new car purchase. Didn't look at MDX's again until 7 years later lol. Tried calling them again for pricing and their guy was like "What stops you from calling someone else afterwards ...." And I hung up on the guy.
Yeah don't know, the sales guy I was in contact with was very upfront about price and everything, but once I wanted to negotiate his responses turned a bit rude. I know there's always a "game" when it comes to dealerships, and I've seen it many times during my time at Honda working in service department, but for some reason this guy at Concord seemed insulted when I wanted to negotiate.
Old 11-11-2015, 05:41 PM
Suzuka Master

we always ran into an A$$ hole at the dealer thinking we got no money and dreaming about the car. Thank god all the sale rep I dealt with at dealer are true professional.
Old 12-12-2015, 10:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

Just an update... On 11/20 I received the police report

Apparently the dumbass who hit me was some woman with a Florida driver's license who was too drunk to give CHP officers a straight answer. Judging by the quotes on the report, she basically admits she was drunk.

She was going about 85-90mph when she hit my car and swerved across 3 lanes to hit me.

I haven't heard back from their insurance and my case is being dealt with by the subrogation department now.

I don't know what I'm going to do next. I want some compensation, but need to really sit down and figure it all out after next week (finals week for school). Been almost a month and still haven't heard back from the subrogation department, better contact them soon...
Old 12-13-2015, 02:54 AM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,106 Likes on 764 Posts
I haven't heard back from their insurance and my case is being dealt with by the subrogation department now.

I don't know what I'm going to do next. I want some compensation, but need to really sit down and figure it all out after next week (finals week for school).
Consult a personal injury lawyer for compensation for injuries, loss of earnings and damages other than property damage.

The assignment of the claim to the subrogation department means your insurer has paid you for your property damage and is seeking reimbursement from her insurer. However, the subrogation department is not going to seek damages for you-- it is only seeking to recover what it paid you.

G/L.
The following 2 users liked this post by Will Y.:
dezymond (12-13-2015), ggesq (12-13-2015)
Old 12-13-2015, 10:01 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Will Y.
Consult a personal injury lawyer for compensation for injuries, loss of earnings and damages other than property damage.

The assignment of the claim to the subrogation department means your insurer has paid you for your property damage and is seeking reimbursement from her insurer. However, the subrogation department is not going to seek damages for you-- it is only seeking to recover what it paid you.

G/L.
Thanks for the advice.

I'll have to look around and hopefully it's not too late. The accident was almost 2 months ago....I just didn't want to get involved in any legal mess, but from what everyone is telling me I just show up with my info and what I suffered and the attorney will take care of the rest? I know they just take a chunk out of the payout for their work.
Old 12-13-2015, 03:05 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,106 Likes on 764 Posts
...I just didn't want to get involved in any legal mess, but from what everyone is telling me I just show up with my info and what I suffered and the attorney will take care of the rest?
The attorney you retain will be able to explain the time limits and the process. The law firm will collect your records, make a personal injury claim with the other driver's insurance company and attempt to settle for an amount you approve. If the settlement offer is not acceptable to you, the firm will file a lawsuit if you agree.
Personal injury cases are usually based on a contingency fee-- a percentage of the settlement the injured party receives.
Old 12-13-2015, 04:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

Wondering if its worth my time and whatever fees I'll have to pay. I pretty much had 3 days of meds and then I would say a few days of discomfort after that. I think I felt all better by a week and a half.

About 2.5wks of eating discomfort due to a cut I received at the corner of my lip, but that's about it.
Old 12-14-2015, 09:32 AM
Jeff

Received 815 Likes on 726 Posts
id milk the shit out of all that man, get as much as you can out of this. Nice looking TLX u got there congratulations
Old 12-14-2015, 03:46 PM
Three Wheelin'

Guess I'll send in some emails to local attorneys. Hopefully it'll go smoothly...
Old 12-14-2015, 03:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,692 Likes on 6,706 Posts
If you're going the legal route, I'd suggest you cease updating this thread immediately...

For your own good.
Old 12-14-2015, 04:01 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by thoiboi
If you're going the legal route, I'd suggest you cease updating this thread immediately...

For your own good.

Was just about to say I'll update at the end of the process if I'm choosing this route.
Old 12-14-2015, 04:10 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,334 Likes on 1,962 Posts
Hmmm seems like everyone goes there to get their Acura's. Maybe IF I ever decided to come back I'd check them out.