3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Highway rear end....TL is totaled, it seems.

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2015, 02:40 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
Don't buy a TLX
Old 10-22-2015, 03:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 319 Likes on 228 Posts
Originally Posted by Majofo
100% loss
Rear quarter panel is the most expensive to fix.. not that that's fixable.
I just checked the claim and they've deemed it a Total Loss (no surprise). Just finalizing the paperwork.
Old 10-22-2015, 04:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,692 Likes on 6,706 Posts

Time for a type S!!!!
Old 10-22-2015, 04:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

There's this one: https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/cto/5280406106.html

Not a fan of the personal touches though.
Old 10-22-2015, 05:38 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Don't buy a TLX
Why what's wrong with the TLX?
Old 10-22-2015, 05:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,692 Likes on 6,706 Posts
Originally Posted by Clint08TLNAV
Go to their sub forum and have a gander
Old 10-22-2015, 05:53 PM
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Clint08TLNAV

I'll be nice and provide you some reading material that was posted on this thread on PG. 2.
Old 10-22-2015, 06:12 PM
SixSpeedDreamin'

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts
Glad you're ok bro, keep us updated on what your next vehicle is.
Old 10-22-2015, 08:11 PM
06 Anthracite TL

Received 333 Likes on 257 Posts
I looked at the CL TL-S...I agree that I'm not a fan of some of the touches as you said, but doesn't that car at 62K miles seem a bit on the cheap side?
Old 10-22-2015, 08:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by erdoc48
I looked at the CL TL-S...I agree that I'm not a fan of some of the touches as you said, but doesn't that car at 62K miles seem a bit on the cheap side?
It is, which is why I'm skeptical.

I paid more for my base with 57,600mi at the time about 1.5yr ago.
Old 10-22-2015, 08:26 PM
Whatup SAAAAN

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Glad your ok man stay safe out there!
Old 10-22-2015, 08:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

So I went to go test drive the 2.4 TLX w/ Tech, it's very nice. I can't believe how quiet the car is, but it did feel a bit "floaty" compared to my TL which had Cinturato P7 tires on it. Good pickup considering it's "only" 200hp, and everything about the car is smooth.

Only gripes; not a fan of that dual stack media system (and never was), interior doesn't feel as "open" to the TL (which every car seems to be heading that directions with all its safety features), and the center compartment armrest was not padded very well.

I'll read a bit more into the transmission issues and check out the TLX subforum, but I really like the car. Looks great, drives great, comfortable, quiet, mpg seems good, and enough power even in the 4cyl.
Old 10-22-2015, 09:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Originally Posted by thoiboi
Go to their sub forum and have a gander
With that logic, no one should buy a 3G or a 4G.

Dezy- test drive the car thoroughly. Keep it for 24 hours or a weekend.
Old 10-22-2015, 10:33 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ggesq

I thought Lincoln only offers that?

Honestly if I could rent a tlx for a day or two that'd be awesome, but I don't think I have that option anywhere. I took a 10min test drive and liked what I saw. For "only" 200hp it's pretty peppy and has enough power to overtake if I wanted. No it doesn't overtake nearly as quick as my TL did, but hey it's enough.

And honestly, the cabin was extremely quiet, dare I say, almost near Lexus like (and after many hours behind a 13 GS350, yes I know what I'm talking about), I was pretty surprised actually. However, I did not take it on the freeway, but I did hit 50mph or so, and that's a pretty good indication.
Old 10-23-2015, 12:48 AM

I don't think the 3G or 4G TL left people stranded or stopped in the middle of a busy road with only a few miles on the ODO.

This one is the kicker.. Stew and I have had it out for many months.. He was the biggest fucking fanboi of the TLX. No matter what we said discouraging about it, he would praise it and call us trolls. I mean we've closed down several threads because of the back and forth... well well..

Check the fuel pump issue.. post #21 and on from Sandie..

Every first MY of a new gen is going to have issues.. but there are inherent issues with both transmissions and way too many lemons or serious issues with the TLX. I have other reasons why I don't like it related to the exterior and interior styling, but a car should never endanger your life because of inherent flaws in the programming or mechanical operation. Acura has a poor history with transmissions.. Still a little early to tell if they can reconcile, but there's no way I'd risk my life, especially my family's life in a TLX.

What's really bad is several owners reported their dealerships treating them poorly. Some dealerships were very responsive and really went the extra mile to reconcile the issue and get them back on the road, but more than a few seemed to ignore or downplay the issues all together. Only after days / weeks / months did they acknowledge and try to help.

If you really end up liking the TLX.. I say wait a year or two to see if they iron out these issues. Hate for you to be in a bad rear end accident like that again because the pcm flips out on you.
Old 10-23-2015, 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by dezymond
There's this one: https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/cto/5280406106.html

Not a fan of the personal touches though.
Not a fan of the "mods" either, but damn that's otherwise a clean Type-S with very little mileage and a good price. I'd definitely do your homework on it before seriously considering it. Make sure you have it thoroughly checked out (inspection and title). Take a fridge magnet and check all the panels for bondo. Check the panel gaps, tire gaps, etc. Have the subframe checked out for any patch work.

Old 10-23-2015, 02:46 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
Good to hear you are OK, TL did it's job and took the brunt of the impact.... I have been rear ended 3 times in my CL-S and have been lucky as only the bumper was damaged. When I am sitting at a light I always keep my eye on my rear view mirror as when I see them coming I let off of the brake. Last lady fell asleep and smacked me If I would have had my foot on the brake the car would have been more damaged.
Old 10-23-2015, 08:38 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,094 Likes on 749 Posts
It is, which is why I'm skeptical.

I paid more for my base with 57,600mi at the time about 1.5yr ago.
Yeah a 08 TL-S with that low mileage at 13.2k is def too good to be true.

With all those mods I think one wonders if it had been in an accident and repaired and/or intereior was trashed and he had it spruced up.

Otherwise it may have some undisclosed problem seller is not telling.

Of course still you never know and never hurts to check it out and it may be a great deal.

Just have to make sure the trans is not abused too much and all maintenance is done.

I don't think the 3G or 4G TL left people stranded or stopped in the middle of a busy road with only a few miles on the ODO.

This one is the kicker.. Stew and I have had it out for many months.. He was the biggest fucking fanboi of the TLX. No matter what we said discouraging about it, he would praise it and call us trolls. I mean we've closed down several threads because of the back and forth... well well..

Every first MY of a new gen is going to have issues.. but there are inherent issues with both transmissions and way too many lemons or serious issues with the TLX. I have other reasons why I don't like it related to the exterior and interior styling, but a car should never endanger your life because of inherent flaws in the programming or mechanical operation. Acura has a poor history with transmissions.. Still a little early to tell if they can reconcile, but there's no way I'd risk my life, especially my family's life in a TLX.

What's really bad is several owners reported their dealerships treating them poorly. Some dealerships were very responsive and really went the extra mile to reconcile the issue and get them back on the road, but more than a few seemed to ignore or downplay the issues all together. Only after days / weeks / months did they acknowledge and try to help.

If you really end up liking the TLX.. I say wait a year or two to see if they iron out these issues. Hate for you to be in a bad rear end accident like that again because the pcm flips out on you.
Dang, that is quite the sad news with Acura and the TLX. Not surprising that trans is a problem as you said with first MY cars but still....looks like acura has not been on the ball since 2008 (7 years ago) when the last great TL was in production/sales.

Maybe they would pick up the ball but so far in my future I would likely not own another Acura (also not to mention the FWD platform as well being stuck on that). Since I plan to keep my current TL for at least another 15 to hopefully 20 years or so. And if I also have the misfortune of totaling my current ride I'd be definitely looking into a 07/08 TL-S

You know looking at the "hey look at my new ride appreciation threads" in the car talk section, it's not surprising that many are going for Audi, Lexus, CTS-V, etc. for luxury/rwd/power platforms.
Old 10-23-2015, 09:01 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts

I hear you. But there are many other members with no issues at all. Seems more of a programming issue on Honda/Acura's end. Apparently, there is a new TSB that just came out. Members are reporting success. Only time will tell. This is from Mike TX's thread over there.

https://acurazine.com/forums/fifth-g...-937641/page2/

Here is a post from 04 with the tranny recall.

Originally Posted by rets
I’ve attached this TSB (the first page of 12 totals) below in order to provide more detailed info to those early VIN 5AT owners who has their trannies recalled.
  1. As it states, 2004 TL 5ATs, From VIN 19UUA66..4A000001 thru 19UUA66..4A014224, will be affected, however, it also indicates that “Not all vehicles within the VIN ranges are affected by this recall…”, please call ACS or have your dealer to check its eligibility first.
  2. According to federal law, these vehicles cannot be sold or leased until they are repaired. If you buy a 04TL 5AT with the affected VIN, your car should be fixed and updated prior to selling to you.
  3. There is no external way to tell if a remanufactured A/T has been updated. Only computer records from Acura and dealership could tell if this 5AT has been installed the oil jet kit or replaced by the remanufactured tranny.
  4. Take a look the part “Vehicles with 15k miles or less” and “Vehicles with more than 15k miles”, the huge difference of works and inspections need to be done.

There are others. There was a recall in 2004 for the fuel pump issue as well I believe.

If everyone said 11 years ago like they are saying today regarding the TLX- there is a tranny recall on the 3G, wait and see if it is fixed for a few years before buying....what would happen? In the last ten years, how many trannny threads have there been here in 3G? Failures on tranny's with less than 50k miles, less than 100k miles. You figure Acura would have fixed it by year 2006 right? Torque convertor and oil consumption issues on the 4G with cars with less than 40k miles.

The point is, and I agree with you, that first model cars- especially from Acura are going to have issues. I'm just not in the position of damning the entire TLX line based on what is read on an online forum which in its very nature is for members to come seek help about issues not praise it for being flawless.

As i said earlier to dezy- take an extended test drive. Take the car through the paces, traffic, stop and go. See how it behaves and then make a decision.

Last edited by ggesq; 10-23-2015 at 10:13 AM.
Old 10-23-2015, 11:53 AM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So I went to go test drive the 2.4 TLX w/ Tech, it's very nice. I can't believe how quiet the car is, but it did feel a bit "floaty" compared to my TL which had Cinturato P7 tires on it. Good pickup considering it's "only" 200hp, and everything about the car is smooth.

Only gripes; not a fan of that dual stack media system (and never was), interior doesn't feel as "open" to the TL (which every car seems to be heading that directions with all its safety features), and the center compartment armrest was not padded very well.

I'll read a bit more into the transmission issues and check out the TLX subforum, but I really like the car. Looks great, drives great, comfortable, quiet, mpg seems good, and enough power even in the 4cyl.
I knew you would like the TLX!

On a side note, I didn't mean to start the TLX controversy and hijack your thread. I think on forums and such you are going to hear more from people with problems and less from people without. I agree you need to do and extended test drive, determine what are the most important vehicle characteristics/features that are important to you, and make your decision based on that.

Last edited by Clint08TLNAV; 10-23-2015 at 12:04 PM.
Old 10-23-2015, 12:02 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,334 Likes on 1,962 Posts
TLX is nice. I drove one the other week. Took it on the freeway some open roads etc. Yes, no cabin noise. But with 2 kids and it being a hit and miss issue, I would not want to take that risk.
Old 10-23-2015, 12:15 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
OP, the dealership should let you take a loaner vehicle for a 24 hour test drive. It's a matter of how you communicate with the sales person. If you give off the vibe that you're really considering buying the car, it shouldn't be that big of a deal. Just be honest with him and say "Look, I've heard a lot of negative press about the car, I want to have it for more than 10 minutes to ensure my 35k is being well spent. Lincoln offers 24hr test drives. I'll head over there if you don't want my business (not serious, but sales person doesn't need to know that).

If they're adamant about not letting you take it for 24 hrs, try another Acura dealer. I believe it has to be approved by the sales manager or assistant sales manager. Move up to them if the sales person says no.
Old 10-23-2015, 06:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

I just emailed the sale person I dealt with yesterday. I mentioned how a 10min test drive was a good preview of the car but also an unfair one. I asked about possibly getting a loaner and we'll see what he says.

I also mentioned to not hesitate to call me or that I could stop by sometime today or tomorrow at certain times as I'm in the area for work.
Old 10-23-2015, 06:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,692 Likes on 1,307 Posts
I drove both TLX version the I4 has jerky side during 2nd gear let say stop and go (your wheel does not come to complete stop) also I notice the when you punch the car it seem like a slipage from 1st to 2nd gear. ZF-9 in the V6 has too many gear sometime it confuse the shit out of PCM of choosing between 3-4-5 vs my throttle input and BTW on the butt dyno I felt the V6 TLX isn't quicker than my TL 0-60 mph. on the good side it does have quite interior.

But the interior material is cheap like dash and door panel, if you look at the 2015 Cadillac ATS, Lexus IS350, BMW 3 series the dash get cover by a leather looks material which express for their price tag, however the TLX fully loaded at $45k has the interior of a 2012 civic. Even the new 2016 Accord out perform the TLX in term of interior quality, it felt sad that Acura does not care about their customer anymore. Many of us here who former owner 3G TL end up pick up a IS Fsport or GS Fsport for replacement.
Old 10-23-2015, 06:27 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,334 Likes on 1,962 Posts
Originally Posted by truonghthe
I drove both TLX version the I4 has jerky side during 2nd gear let say stop and go (your wheel does not come to complete stop) also I notice the when you punch the car it seem like a slipage from 1st to 2nd gear. ZF-9 in the V6 has too many gear sometime it confuse the shit out of PCM of choosing between 3-4-5 vs my throttle input and BTW on the butt dyno I felt the V6 TLX isn't quicker than my TL 0-60 mph. on the good side it does have quite interior.

But the interior material is cheap like dash and door panel, if you look at the 2015 Cadillac ATS, Lexus IS350, BMW 3 series the dash get cover by a leather looks material which express for their price tag, however the TLX fully loaded at $45k has the interior of a 2012 civic. Even the new 2016 Accord out perform the TLX in term of interior quality, it felt sad that Acura does not care about their customer anymore. Many of us here who former owner 3G TL end up pick up a IS Fsport or GS Fsport for replacement.

We all have been saying this.

Acura has not gave a fawk since 2008.

Accord is the way to go, plus it's cheaper.
Old 10-23-2015, 07:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

Got a response. Says I can borrow one for a couple hours...I suppose that's better than nothing...

I'll call tomorrow and see what he says
Old 10-23-2015, 11:00 PM

I hear you. But there are many other members with no issues at all. Seems more of a programming issue on Honda/Acura's end. Apparently, there is a new TSB that just came out. Members are reporting success. Only time will tell. This is from Mike TX's thread over there.

https://acurazine.com/forums/fifth-g...-937641/page2/

Here is a post from 04 with the tranny recall. There are others. There was a recall in 2004 for the fuel pump issue as well I believe.

If everyone said 11 years ago like they are saying today regarding the TLX- there is a tranny recall on the 3G, wait and see if it is fixed for a few years before buying....what would happen? In the last ten years, how many trannny threads have there been here in 3G? Failures on tranny's with less than 50k miles, less than 100k miles. You figure Acura would have fixed it by year 2006 right? Torque convertor and oil consumption issues on the 4G with cars with less than 40k miles.

The point is, and I agree with you, that first model cars- especially from Acura are going to have issues. I'm just not in the position of damning the entire TLX line based on what is read on an online forum which in its very nature is for members to come seek help about issues not praise it for being flawless.
There are always rough edges to smooth out, but I'm unaware of 04 TLs leaving their owners stranded / stalled in the middle of the road. That's what really concerns me. These transmissions aren't a redesign, they're completely new. The one thing going for the 9-speed is it's on many platforms. Car manufacturing is going the route of off-the-shelf application. Unfortunately.. this trans from ZF is a dud. Complaints from pretty much every platform it's on, and the deflection continues without a universal solution (it's an integration issue really).

The in-house DCT is what's really concerning. It might be a good design, but in the least, it's poorly executed. Hopefully this is the case. But it's still not right to put it on the showroom when there are inherent issues with the programming. There should be fail-safes in place to ensure it doesn't leave the driver stranded due to faulty inputs or untested use cases. Honda is lucky no one has died or been seriously hurt from it so far.

Acura did fix several issues with the trans for the first MY of the 3G. Definitely not bullet-proof, but not a death sentence like the 2G. It wasn't a case of if you changed out your trans, it was more like, what number trans are you on then. For 07, they made the trans even more robust by redesigning it closer to the redesigned 1.5G MDX trans. I know of several trans issues with the 3G.. but not dangerous, and many of them by the own doing of the owner (improperly maintained, messing with ATFs, burning them up, etc).

There are very few issues with 07-13 TL transmissions that I'm aware of. I'm somewhat aware of the oil consumption issues, but I've been away from that side of the forum.
Old 10-23-2015, 11:00 PM

OP.. what about that Type-S?
Old 10-23-2015, 11:03 PM

If you do like the TLX.. I advise going with the 9-Speed (V6), although I think the big value is in the I4 (DCT).. seriously though.. where are the tailpipes.. and two screens.. that do the job of one.. c'mon!

Don't get me started on the brake hold feature.. FFS!
Old 10-24-2015, 01:34 AM
Three Wheelin'

OP.. what about that Type-S?
Haven't bothered looking at it.

Tbh I'm planning out my finances for a new car, whether that is the TLX or the accord is yet to be decided.

I'm still checking out CL every few hours to see if a 3g tl catches my eye but none really have so far. Well except for a $24k TL Type S, but I haven't heard a response from that seller since I offered $19k...
Old 10-24-2015, 02:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 151 Posts
Camry V6?
Old 10-24-2015, 02:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 96SC4
Camry V6?
Don't like them, won't even consider them.

If I have to "scale" back then I would go for a 2016 Accord. But even that is a distant 2nd right now. The new Accord is very nice and a fully loaded EX-L (which I would get) is great value for the money.
The following users liked this post:
96SC4 (10-24-2015)
Old 10-24-2015, 03:01 PM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Have you considered a CPO Lexus IS/GS? Lexus/Toyota is really known for their attention to customer satisfaction, issuing lots of recalls that may not necessarily be 100% necessary, but important to owners . Not to mention, Lexus' really hold their value, and are a pretty big step up luxury/performance/look from Acura.
Old 10-31-2015, 11:10 PM
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
I know I'm late to this thread but I'm curious as to why you were without a car immediately after the accident. Didn't the guy's insurance cover a rental? I think most do.
Old 11-07-2015, 10:57 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Acuramon
I know I'm late to this thread but I'm curious as to why you were without a car immediately after the accident. Didn't the guy's insurance cover a rental? I think most do.
Didn't wanna get insurance involved. Too messy. I borrowed a family member's car instead
Old 11-07-2015, 12:54 PM
the overexplainer

Received 385 Likes on 337 Posts
Damn! TLs are dropping like flies towards the end of 2015.

Mine got rear ended as well (also in Cali) in October and while not as bad as yours it also got totaled. They cited the quarter panel and also some frame damage. Repairs would've been around $8.6k to fix.

Insurance isn't too much of a hassle to deal with as long as you have full coverage. I got my rental (had it for about a week and a half) deductible, etc. all waived obviously. I ended up buying a 2007 GS350 the same day i had to return the rental. It was more of a hassle finding myself in sudden need of a car than dealing with insurance in my opinion. The other party's insurance also reached out and I was able to negotiate a pretty good payout.

Personally, i didnt go back to 3Gs because i really liked mine and no other used ones felt the same and/or were in worse condition. The inevitable dash cracks and interior failures also deterred me. Mechanically the car is perfect however.

Last edited by ez12a; 11-07-2015 at 12:57 PM.
Old 11-07-2015, 01:05 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Awful. Glad to hear you are OK.
Old 11-07-2015, 01:51 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,692 Likes on 1,307 Posts
how the fak some one can rear end you on the freeway, this is what I am trying to get I mean unless it during the rush hour I can see why but in both case the freeway was actually not in rush hours.
Old 11-07-2015, 02:40 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by truonghthe
how the fak some one can rear end you on the freeway, this is what I am trying to get I mean unless it during the rush hour I can see why but in both case the freeway was actually not in rush hours.
Don't know. Probably some idiot speeding. How the hell they hit me considering I was all the way on the right is beyond me. Judging by the damage they seemed to have come from one of the 3 lanes over.

Either way I've moved on. Picked up a 2015 TLX Advance last week. Loving it so far.
Old 11-07-2015, 02:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

Yesterday I retrieved some stuff from the trunk. It was officially goodbye to my TL. I was a bit sad, I didn't have it long. Can't believe my last memory of it was me getting rearended but it kept me safe. I can't believe how mangled it got.

RIP TL. About 26k miles in a short 16 months

Quick Reply: Highway rear end....TL is totaled, it seems.