Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High Performance Tires

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2004, 10:16 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
High Performance Tires

Just bought my TL with HP tires. The dealer said I must buy a new set of tires for the snowfall. Is this entirely true? Will I get no grip at all with these tires? If so, can I go a cheaper route like getting tires for the fronts only? Thanks in advance.
Old 03-04-2004, 10:28 AM
Lurker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No dry tire HP or not really works well in snow. If you live where it snows often, you should get a separate set of snow tires and wheels. But for MO, it doesn't snow THAT much does it? Most of the roads should be plowed pretty quickly and there isn't that much accumulation. If you're careful it shouldn't be that bad.

For snow tires you shouldn't run only 2. If you end up getting them, get a spare set of wheels off EBAY or something and keep snow tires on those. Tirerack, while not super cheap has snowtire packages with cheaper wheels.
Old 03-04-2004, 10:33 AM
User Registered

It's even noted on Acura's website that the High-Performance Summer Tires are not recommended or ideal for Snow or Ice conditions. Primarily due to flat spot and traction issues.

During my search, I spoke with dealerships as far as Minnesota and received similar responses. One notable response was that one of the dealerships took there dealer demo out of the showroom equipped with HPST's and they were unable to get out of the lot and nearly slid into another parked vehicle.

Yikes!

Old 03-04-2004, 10:35 AM
Banned

Re: High Performance Tires

Originally posted by daven8844x
Just bought my TL with HP tires. The dealer said I must buy a new set of tires for the snowfall. Is this entirely true? Will I get no grip at all with these tires? If so, can I go a cheaper route like getting tires for the fronts only? Thanks in advance.
They will not work in snow and are actually a hazard. Your dealer is right. I should have gone with the HPT's because the turanzas didn't cut it in the snow up here so I bought snow tires anyway!
Old 03-04-2004, 10:37 AM
Racer

I'd agree with Skeedatl, if you're going to get snows, get a set 4, not 2. Your safety is surely worth the additional $200 or so.
Old 03-04-2004, 10:38 AM
Intermediate

I'm assuming you have the 6MT. When my car arrived in snowy Edmonton last fall, it took three technicians to push it into the service area to do the PDI. The HP tires have ZERO grip on snow and ice. Traction control and a limited slip will do nothing for you.

My advice is bite the bullet and get snow tires (or at least [shudder] all-seasons) if you see any snow on the ground where you live, and you don't have the option of parking the car for the duration. Expensive, yes, but what will sliding into a curb or someone else cost you over the next few years?
Old 03-04-2004, 10:47 AM
Instructor

I concur about the HPT's. My car came with them and I decided to try and get to work with them, while there was about 2-3" of snow on the roads. Result= bad idea. I never made it to work as I had to turn around, but sliding all over the place and having people on your ass (with good tires) is not a comforting feeling. I bought a set of falken 512 and will use the hpt's this summer.
Old 03-04-2004, 11:05 AM
Instructor

Snow tires in front, with HPTs on back...will result in the rear end coming around to meet the front. Don't do it. It would feel extremely squirrelly, well, because it will be.
Old 03-04-2004, 12:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Yea I tried it as well with my hpt's, I could not move in 3 or more inches of snow, I could not even make it out of my condominium parking lot. They will just keep spinning. Now I have this guy from my complex that knows nothing about cars,,,,calling my car a piece of sh*t becuause it does not move in the snow. He does not understand the meaning of summer tires. Whatever.
Old 03-04-2004, 12:33 PM
Burning Brakes

Just get the Michelin Pilot Sports all-season tires. Expensive, but worth it. And while your at it pull for the Michelin teams in F1. Down with Bridgestone!!!
Old 03-04-2004, 12:46 PM
Intermediate

Don't try those things in the snow. I've had some great adventures with a 1990 Peugeot 505 Turbo with Summer tires. The thing slid down a hill while I was stopped at a stoplight. My family got stuck in their own driveway and had to park the car on the front lawn after trying for hours to get it out.

It did; however, stick like glue to the road on all 5 of the warm sunny days we got in Chicago each year.

You won't have any control over where your car goes at all on ice and snow.

It would be nice if the latest Ultra High Performance All Season tires like the ContiExtremeContact, Pilot A/S or PZero Nero A/S (my next tires) were installed as OEM equipment.
Old 03-15-2004, 11:04 AM
User Registered

Well, had my first experience driving in snow on the HPST's this morning.

Yup... lemme tell you...

IT SUCKS!

Holy F%)@&@g S#!t!!! Worst experience ever in snow with a vehicle. Side-swerving while driving straight, sliding straight while trying to turn, sit-n-spin at stops, and forget changing lanes. The VSA was going bonkers, flashing on and off. At times, people behind me wanted to pass but didn't because I could barely hold a straight line.

What's worse is it had just started to snow, probably an inch or two had accumulated. I peaked at 50MPH on the highway and 15MPH in 30MPH zoned areas. The last leg (decided to catch a ride instead) of getting back home has a downhill road, of which I performed a 10MPH rolling-slide (yes, while wheels rolling) down before it levels out. Luckily ever instance (few they were) of traction I got, I corrected the slide back into a straight line (for that moment).

So be careful if you have HPST's in snow/ice areas. I didn't think it would be to bad, but never thought it'd be bad enough to garage and catch a ride to work.
Old 03-15-2004, 11:16 AM
Instructor

Holy F%)@&@g S#!t!!! Worst experience ever in snow with a vehicle.
My exact thoughts when I tried them too. Might as well not have any treads on them at all.
Old 03-15-2004, 12:33 PM
Pug
Team Camel, VP for Zaino

How are the HP tires in the rain?