HID bulb replacement w/o removing bumper?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008 | 11:29 PM
Racer

HID bulb replacement w/o removing bumper?

I just recently cleared and blacked out my headlights but didn't have my new hid bulbs in time for the reinstall.

I want to know if anyone has had success changing out the bulbs without removing the bumper and the headlight assemblies. I really, really don't want to go through all of that just to replace the bulbs. ugh. I searched the forums with no luck finding anyone mentioning this.

I'm pretty sure the passenger side should be easy, it's the driver side I'm worried about. Not sure if I will be able to squeeze my hands in there.

Anyone?!!! Please advise.

Old 10-07-2008 | 11:58 PM
F-SPORT

There was a thread a while ago with someone doing it in the wheel well area but that also requires using a torq screw or some star shape screw to unscrew the cap out and then you can switch bulbs. But dude you know what bolts you have to unbolt to get to the lights. So just save you the trouble and take the bumper out and switch them. Plus you do not want to put any scratches on the bulb itself!!
Old 10-08-2008 | 12:10 AM
I have car ADD

Originally Posted by LTxArucAx60
There was a thread a while ago with someone doing it in the wheel well area but that also requires using a torq screw or some star shape screw to unscrew the cap out and then you can switch bulbs. But dude you know what bolts you have to unbolt to get to the lights. So just save you the trouble and take the bumper out and switch them. Plus you do not want to put any scratches on the bulb itself!!
Actually, the link i used once, worked awesome.. you dont even need the special locking torque screwdriver... a tiny flat head works like a champ.... i went through alot of headlight bulbs until i found my favorite combo.... i didnt always take the bumper off, but honestly, if you know how to take off the bumper, it can seriously be a 20 minute ordeal... ALSO... when you go in through the wheel well, theres a chance you'll put the bulb in upside down... it will still close up properly, but the light refraction and reflection will be terribly off

if i ever need to change another HID bulb in my car, ill probably just take off the bumper

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/diy-hid-bulb-change-w-o-bumper-removal-3g-garage-g-004-a-598853/

This DIY works great, your hand will get a little cut up, and manuevering inside without "seeing" is difficult... it would probably take the same amount of time as removing the bumper.. and if you leave the bumper on, and start sticking your hand in the hole with the bulb in it, you run the chance of accidently touching the bulb, or breaking it....

my
Old 10-08-2008 | 12:16 AM
iScrape going into

It's defiantely possible without having to drop the bumper, but like mentioned the driver side is a pain in the ass trying to get your hand to fit. I'd just say spend the extra couple of minutes and drop the bumper and then install the lights.
Old 10-08-2008 | 08:26 AM
Pro

+1

take off the bumper..it makes the install much much easier