Sponsored by:

Hey

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 09:42 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts
Hey

Hey guys,

I'm looking to upgrade my honda prelude to an acura tl..specifically looking at 2006+ models.

Hows the car? I currently have the 99 prelude and a 07 rdx, I find the RDX mediocre in terms of quality (i've had to take it in a few times for warranty stuff) but im sure the TL being in its 3rd generation (now 4th) and also this being the 2nd year of the 3rd gen problems occured would have been fixed.

My main concern is the auto tranny, I'd like to get the 6 spd manual but finding them is like a needle in a haystack.

I found a decent deal on a 2006 Aspec with 30k (KM's) on it, looks beautiful will have to test drive it thoe.

Are there special things to look for when purchasing a TL?

Thanks!
Old 06-11-2008, 09:50 AM
aw1
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Overall great car. Shouldnt have many problems. Just do you home work and check the car over throughly. Havent heard many auto tranny issues to date. The manuel have a 3 gear issue, but not many of that as well.

Some 04-06 TL's are being recalled due to wiper motors and power steering hose. So I wouldnt call you RDX mediocre because of warranty stuff.

btw, l was just up in Toronto this past weekend. Great city!! If you saw a AM TL with aspec body kit, tls spoiler, tails and sides, dark tints and NY plates, that was me.

Good Luck with your purchase.
Old 06-11-2008, 09:53 AM
Banned

The TL is a awesome car but it has its limitations...if i was you i'd probably find a Type S cus those are amazing

eventually you'll find one

08's are goin to be extremely cheap soon so if u want wait for the 09 drop
Old 06-11-2008, 10:01 AM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,485 Likes on 1,049 Posts
Good luck on your purchase. Is the one you're looking at auto or manual?
Old 06-11-2008, 10:19 AM
07 TL-S

Originally Posted by mau108
Hey guys,

I'm looking to upgrade my honda prelude to an acura tl..specifically looking at 2006+ models.

Hows the car? I currently have the 99 prelude and a 07 rdx, I find the RDX mediocre in terms of quality (i've had to take it in a few times for warranty stuff) but im sure the TL being in its 3rd generation (now 4th) and also this being the 2nd year of the 3rd gen problems occured would have been fixed.

My main concern is the auto tranny, I'd like to get the 6 spd manual but finding them is like a needle in a haystack.

I found a decent deal on a 2006 Aspec with 30k (KM's) on it, looks beautiful will have to test drive it thoe.

Are there special things to look for when purchasing a TL?

Thanks!
definately get rid of the prelude, those things are garbage
(inside joke so relax ppl )

don't give up on the 6 speed, i found two, the first one was sold by the time i went to get a test drive, and i bought the second one. they were both at acura east. there should be some leased cars available soon, the corporate guys can get a new one every year so sometimes barely used cars are available...

what to look for is third gear, mine is pretty notchy but it appears to be a universal problem, i'm going to try the gm fluid soon, hopefully that works. if not i guess i'll go in for warranty.
Old 06-11-2008, 10:47 AM
2011 BMW 335i

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Since the RDX was a new model for 2007, I would expect it to have some flaws but as far as the TL I highly recommend it. I have an 05 Myself and couldnt like it more. The only thing about the 06 was that new SAE testing procedures dropped the TL's horsepower rating from 270 to 258 for 06 models. I heard its the same power just measured differently or whatever someone else was saying but anyway I like my 05. You do get TPMS for the 06 tho. Good luck with your purchase.
Old 06-11-2008, 10:56 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Flavour
definately get rid of the prelude, those things are garbage
(inside joke so relax ppl )

don't give up on the 6 speed, i found two, the first one was sold by the time i went to get a test drive, and i bought the second one. they were both at acura east. there should be some leased cars available soon, the corporate guys can get a new one every year so sometimes barely used cars are available...

what to look for is third gear, mine is pretty notchy but it appears to be a universal problem, i'm going to try the gm fluid soon, hopefully that works. if not i guess i'll go in for warranty.
hey its you from tpc :P

Cal right?

I don't mind an auto actually, my lude is an auto and it to has a very weak tranny but its made it to 171K and I'm sure it can keep on rolling.

The A-spec im looking at only has 30k on it and has tons of warranty left, although the ad does not state if its an auto or manual .. weird.

I'm going to drop by tonight after work to have a look at it and start drooling :P
Old 06-11-2008, 11:09 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts

Cal right?

I don't mind an auto actually, my lude is an auto and it to has a very weak tranny but its made it to 171K and I'm sure it can keep on rolling.

The A-spec im looking at only has 30k on it and has tons of warranty left, although the ad does not state if its an auto or manual .. weird.

I'm going to drop by tonight after work to have a look at it and start drooling :P
Take a very large towel......
Old 06-11-2008, 12:38 PM
07 TL-S

Cal right?

yup, still mostly on tpc but figured i'd see whats up over here...

if you're not going type-s then i'd would say to stick with the 06, from what i've read they softened up the 07-08 non s because they did have a s model. maybe someone here can say the differences. 2 year old car with 30k ain't bad, and i like the look of the a spec. does it have navi? i love my navi in this thing, worth every penny.
Old 06-11-2008, 01:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Flavour
yup, still mostly on tpc but figured i'd see whats up over here...

if you're not going type-s then i'd would say to stick with the 06, from what i've read they softened up the 07-08 non s because they did have a s model. maybe someone here can say the differences. 2 year old car with 30k ain't bad, and i like the look of the a spec. does it have navi? i love my navi in this thing, worth every penny.

yes it comes with navi, tinted windows, alarm, hids, fogs, auto dimming mirror etc....
Old 06-12-2008, 09:58 AM
The Darker the berry....

06 TLs are great, but it does miss some features that came out starting in 07 - fogs in the bumper, MP3 ability, indicators in the side mirrors, etc. I had a tranny issue in my 06 at 30K miles (tranny was whining, but still shifting OK), but I don't think it's very common and Acura agreed to replace the tranny w/o hesitation and it's been good so far... Good Luck - great choice.