Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!!! UPSHIFTING from 1st to 2nd

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2004, 05:58 PM
321 whp SAE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP!!! UPSHIFTING from 1st to 2nd

Can Someone please define in good detail how to smoothly upshift from 1st to 2nd without the jerky... under low-to moderate acceleration. under heavy accelerating it seems smoother.. THANKS!!!!
Old 08-04-2004, 06:04 PM
Newbie for Life

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Confucius say, "Practice makes perfect."

For real, the drive by wire throttle is a bit tricky to get used to as it's hinged on the bottom of the floorboard, if I'm not mistaken. Coming from 3 previous manual tranny cars, it took me some practice as well getting used to it.

Now, after 4,500 miles, I'm golden.
Old 08-04-2004, 06:07 PM
Intermediate

I find that the drive-by-wire throttle holds the revs up longer than conventional throttle when you lift off the pedal for shifting. When you're accelerating hard this makes for smoother shifts.

In low-speed mode I find that pausing for tiny moment before completely taking my foot off the clutch reduces the lurch.
Old 08-04-2004, 07:01 PM
321 whp SAE

thanks guys.. AND when do you give it some gas while lifting the clutch and do you give a little or moderate gas.. I'm sorry if this sounds stupid.. I guess I just want to get it perfect.. I'm impatient.. THANKS!!
Old 08-04-2004, 07:57 PM
Cruisin'

drive by wire isn't related to ....

1. Where the pedal is hinged. My 1971 BMW 02 had a floor-hinged pedal, and DBW had not been invented when that car was built.

2. RPMs saying up ("hanging"). (At least not directly related.) Many/most(?)/all(?) cars built in recent years show this behavior. It's more directly a function of the ECU, and is related to emissions control.
Old 08-05-2004, 05:45 AM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I find that giving the throttle a bit of a bump when shifting up helps....this is the most difficult manual tranny car I've ever driven...and I've had many...so it's not you. It does take practice..and if you try adding a bit of throttle when shifting it helps....I've found that the gas pedal being hinged on the bottom seems to take more pressure than the other type....whatever it is...it does take time to learn how to shift smoothly....I've had my car since March...and if I don't drive it for a few days..I have to relearn shifting smoothly all over again. My other car...a Honda 5 speed manual....doesn't seem to have this problem...I can shift it smoothly every time..even if I haven't driven it for weeks.
Old 08-05-2004, 10:48 AM
321 whp SAE

Thanks Jet!! I feel better now.. Do you bump the gas before the clutch is engaged in the next gear or as it's engaging..
Old 08-05-2004, 01:56 PM
Instructor

I agree with all of you. I've had my TL since March and my last manual tranny was a fiat 9 years ago. I find that the revs definitely hang up when up shifting which requires a combination of waiting and balancing the gas and clutch....it requires concentration and is definitely a skill that I am trying to perfect. Downshifting is tricky too because it is a bit hard to modulate the throttle for that all important blip. Again, I find that a balancing of the throttle and clutch helps too. But again, downshifting smoothly is a skill that takes alot of practice, but when you get it right, it is awsome.

I've heard from just about everyone I have talked to that this is the toughest manual they have ever driven, mostly because the clutch is very direct, catches low and therefore is very unforgiving....hence the kicks in the ass we all have been getting when we don't get it exactly right.

Sometimes I get frustrated, but then I read something about a professional driver missing a shift in a race and blowing the engine, and then I don't feel as bad.

For me, the most annoying thing is the RPM hanging up when you want to upshift. I mean if you really want to move through the gears quickly, you need to bang some of those shifts. Though many say that this will not make the car accelerate faster, and you are better off with slower smoother shifts that don't upset the balance of the car.
Old 08-06-2004, 11:02 AM
Team Anthracite member

After you start rolling in first gear keep giving it gas till the RPMs get to about 3-4K then make your shift to second. This seems to help me get rid of the jerky motion of first to second shifting. Plus giving it gas just before letting out the clutch for second helps too. This is not my first stick either but definetly different and takes some practice.
Old 08-06-2004, 01:45 PM
Instructor

It is a tempermental tranny, but when you get it right, it is awsome. I'm still practicing, and practicing, and practicing. Someone told me that if you can master the TL's tranny, you will be able to drive any standard tranny car better than almost anyone you can find.