Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help, trying to buy 08 TL

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 07:24 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help, trying to buy 08 TL

I'm hoping to buy a new TL, and so far negotiations aren't going well. Does anyone have any idea about how much a dealer should be able to come off of MSRP? I know a lot of variables are in play, but dealer today said that best offer (after much discussion) could come off $3500 if I took the 2.9% financing or $6000 if I didn't take the financing. Please provide me some info, since this is my first Acura. Also, how much labor cost should it be to install the body kit (base tl) and rear wing. If I try to save money and install the kit myself, is it difficult? I do have good mechanical experience. Thanks for all the help.
Old 09-01-2008, 07:36 PM
Detail Cars in Philly in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
what is the msrp? navi or no navi? also the body kit really isnt too hard to install, as for the wing it shouldnt be too hard as long as you dont mind drilling holes in your trunk
Old 09-01-2008, 08:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,004 Likes on 1,424 Posts
save the money and get the kit and wing later, you can buy it for much less at hondaacuraworld.com, call up tim there and tell him you are from here and he will lower the price, also, if you get 3 people to buy it with you, you get an extra discount.

As far as pricing:
TL-S should be around 33.5 + tax, tag and title
TL with navi should be around 30.5
TL without navi should be around 28.5

spend your money carefully, test drive the navi TL if you are looking at the non-navi, it is so much better. Also check out the TL-S, its is worth the money.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:01 PM
Intermediate

MSRP was about 34,900 non navi base tl (after I had them take off some of the bs dealer crap such as paint protection). Thanks
Old 09-01-2008, 08:03 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by csmeance
save the money and get the kit and wing later, you can buy it for much less at hondaacuraworld.com, call up tim there and tell him you are from here and he will lower the price, also, if you get 3 people to buy it with you, you get an extra discount.

As far as pricing:
TL-S should be around 33.5 + tax, tag and title
TL with navi should be around 30.5
TL without navi should be around 28.5

spend your money carefully, test drive the navi TL if you are looking at the non-navi, it is so much better. Also check out the TL-S, its is worth the money.
Thanks
Old 09-01-2008, 08:09 PM
Detail Cars in Philly in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
yeah there is noooo wayy that you should pay anywhere over 30k for a non-navi
Old 09-01-2008, 08:19 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by dmassott
yeah there is noooo wayy that you should pay anywhere over 30k for a non-navi
If you search here, you will find other threads on non-navi vs. navi, and the answer always is get the navi or you will regret it later on.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:37 PM
Intermediate

I absolutely would love the navi, but the base is a bit of stretch since this is going to be my commuter car. But thanks for the info. Tac
Old 09-01-2008, 09:21 PM
10th Gear

Just got the 08 TL w/ Nav today! 30.4k+tax+license fee.
Old 09-01-2008, 09:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 536 Likes on 345 Posts
Yeah don't forget the completely redesigned '09 is literally right around the corner, so use that to your advantage. At this stage of the game I wouldn't pay over $30K (before TTL) for a base w/ Navi.

The Type-S is a different story, though, as that model has been discontinued for '09 and even w/ the redesign, is in high demand. The dealers know this and have the upper hand on this model unfortunately so don't expect much discounting going on w/ this model.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:01 PM
Cruisin'

I picked up a 08 TLs for 31995 with body kit last week. I was able to get the 2.9% financing too by buying Lojack from the dealer. sort of the best of both worlds.

negotiate the price with the sales manager, and work a deal with the finance dept for the financing. there are many ways to buy down the finance rate. Lojack and extended warranty are both options. run some calculations between the buy down options and the higher rates. my total cost of ownership was lower by buying down the rate to 2.9% vs. 6%. in 60 months it would of been a $5k diff.

the finance officer should be able to run the numbers for you.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:05 PM
Advanced

I'm on the same boat as you.......I'm looking for a TL w/Navi too. I have 28K and my parents are giving the rest. (I'm 17) And I'm trying to get my hands on one before they are gone. So far the best price I have gotten was 32.3 K w/o ttl. But thats still to high for what I'm looking for. Good luck finding your TL...
Old 09-01-2008, 11:47 PM
Intermediate

I guess this will sound personal

Originally Posted by waterpolo820
I'm on the same boat as you.......I'm looking for a TL w/Navi too. I have 28K and my parents are giving the rest. (I'm 17) And I'm trying to get my hands on one before they are gone. So far the best price I have gotten was 32.3 K w/o ttl. But thats still to high for what I'm looking for. Good luck finding your TL...
but WTF is a 17 year old doing going into $30K debt on a new car? You should be buying a CPO something or other for half that and SAVING THE REST.

Yeah, I'm old, get over it.
Old 09-02-2008, 04:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by phred
but WTF is a 17 year old doing going into $30K debt on a new car? You should be buying a CPO something or other for half that and SAVING THE REST.

get yourself a used TL and pocket the rest, cars depreciate like crazy, its a money pit so please think wisely.
Old 09-02-2008, 04:11 PM
Intermediate

Still couldn't get a deal worked. Both dealers are wanting to come down about the same. I guess I will wait to see what Acura does in the next month concerning interest rates or rebates. Thanks for help.
Old 09-02-2008, 06:17 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by phred

I wouldn't be going to any debt. I've worked hard since I was 15, kept my grades up, (thats why my parents agreed to the extra loot) and my parents got me into the stock market early, and I got lucky, (and unlucky ) a couple times and ended up with a little over 28k.

Originally Posted by csmeance
get yourself a used TL and pocket the rest, cars depreciate like crazy, its a money pit so please think wisely.
Well I've had my eyes on this car for a while now, and I don't really take depreciation into account because I, (and my family) run cars into the ground, the '96 RL that I have right has over 136,000 miles and I will pass that onto my brother when I get my next car..
Old 09-02-2008, 06:20 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Tacsavage
Still couldn't get a deal worked. Both dealers are wanting to come down about the same. I guess I will wait to see what Acura does in the next month concerning interest rates or rebates. Thanks for help.
I would expect Acura to give even bigger incentives when it gets closer to launch date of the 4G. And even more afterwards. Good luck.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:00 PM
Advanced

Type-S price

Originally Posted by 240hpaccord
I picked up a 08 TLs for 31995 with body kit last week. I was able to get the 2.9% financing too by buying Lojack from the dealer. sort of the best of both worlds.

negotiate the price with the sales manager, and work a deal with the finance dept for the financing. there are many ways to buy down the finance rate. Lojack and extended warranty are both options. run some calculations between the buy down options and the higher rates. my total cost of ownership was lower by buying down the rate to 2.9% vs. 6%. in 60 months it would of been a $5k diff.

the finance officer should be able to run the numbers for you.
Hey, where did you pick up your car. The lowest I've been quoted in central NJ is $32,800. That is the price of the car that they are using to calculate my lease pmts, which come to $447.48 including NJ taxes (no money down, just the usual fees-DMV, bank, etc). That is a great price. heck, if I can get the car for that price, my lease pmts will only be $423.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:56 PM
Intermediate

I bought the 08 TL non navi out the door for 30.7k, that was the cash deal. I hope that helps
Old 09-03-2008, 12:45 PM
Pro

I'm hoping to buy a new TL, and so far negotiations aren't going well. Does anyone have any idea about how much a dealer should be able to come off of MSRP? I know a lot of variables are in play, but dealer today said that best offer (after much discussion) could come off $3500 if I took the 2.9% financing or $6000 if I didn't take the financing. Please provide me some info, since this is my first Acura. Also, how much labor cost should it be to install the body kit (base tl) and rear wing. If I try to save money and install the kit myself, is it difficult? I do have good mechanical experience. Thanks for all the help.

You must not be trying hard enough. They should be practically giving these cars away.

Either that or the dealers know that the 4th gen won't be selling as well as the 3rd Gen
Old 09-03-2008, 01:37 PM
5th Gear

I just paid 31K out the door for my 08 non-navi. I traded in a civic Si and got over $18K for it in trade as well, and it was probably not going to bring me that selling it outright, so I was fine with it.
Old 09-03-2008, 02:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
Paid $32,328.00 w/o TTL for my 08 TL-S. Have you looked at other dealerships other than local? I've heard of people flying to pick up their TL. The savings was that much, it was worth the one way air fare. I'd broaden your search. Good luck. You can negotiate online.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:40 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by rjorge3
Hey, where did you pick up your car. The lowest I've been quoted in central NJ is $32,800. That is the price of the car that they are using to calculate my lease pmts, which come to $447.48 including NJ taxes (no money down, just the usual fees-DMV, bank, etc). That is a great price. heck, if I can get the car for that price, my lease pmts will only be $423.

Dont know if Im allowed to give out the name. its the Acura dealer on Northern Blvd in queens, NY. took about a hour to work the deal. Type S, A spec body kit, trunk tray and all season mats for $31,995 +ttl. (brand new car with 11 miles on it)

I was looking for a 6speed, but settled for the auto since there's none to be found. look for Mafique (sales person) and try to work the deal with Justin (sales floor mgr) [Justin wont take floor customers, he works through his sales staff]
Old 09-04-2008, 01:50 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by AcidHorse
You must not be trying hard enough. They should be practically giving these cars away.

Either that or the dealers know that the 4th gen won't be selling as well as the 3rd Gen

I have been dealing with multiple dealers in several states. They seem to only be coming down to about the same price of about $3500 off sticker if I take the 2.9% or an extra $2500 with out the financing. So with a few accessories that barely gets it down to 29K without a good financing rate. So do you all think that is as good as it gets for now or should I wait a little longer to see what happens in the next few months with incentives?
Old 09-04-2008, 02:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I have been dealing with multiple dealers in several states. They seem to only be coming down to about the same price of about $3500 off sticker if I take the 2.9% or an extra $2500 with out the financing. So with a few accessories that barely gets it down to 29K without a good financing rate. So do you all think that is as good as it gets for now or should I wait a little longer to see what happens in the next few months with incentives?
Are you going through internet departments or just calling these places? Deal with the internet sales dept, you usually get a better deal. Depending on what your credit score is, you can get a car loan for 5% or less pretty easily from an external lending source, it comes out cheaper in the long run if you use the $2500 dealer cash incentive and don't use Honda finance, even with the higher rate.

I paid $33,200 for my type s, with destination. Plus tax and title.
Old 09-04-2008, 04:45 PM
Advanced

They called me today

Dont know if Im allowed to give out the name. its the Acura dealer on Northern Blvd in queens, NY. took about a hour to work the deal. Type S, A spec body kit, trunk tray and all season mats for $31,995 +ttl. (brand new car with 11 miles on it)

I was looking for a 6speed, but settled for the auto since there's none to be found. look for Mafique (sales person) and try to work the deal with Justin (sales floor mgr) [Justin wont take floor customers, he works through his sales staff]

I know the dealer and I was contacted by them this morning. They do seem to have the better prices, but Stupid Acura changed the lease program and now their money factor is 0.00270 (6.3%) for their tier 1 customers. I guess they want push people to buy instead of lease. The program I believe will change tomorrow so I'll see. I will not pay more than $430 including taxes for my lease (Type-S, 36 months, 10k per year, no money down). In this economy they will be lucky to move their left over inventory.

The Dow just took a 300 points dive, Acura sold 23% less TLs from last year, their only line that was actually up was the TSX and that is because people's sensitivity to gas prices, and they want to eliminate their attractive lease program???? That is a dumb move. All the other companies are offering great rates for both buys and leases.

Oh well. I will wait since I am not in a rush, or look somewhere else.
Old 09-04-2008, 06:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

/\
That is correct, they ARE trying to push customers into buying vs. leasing. I won't get into all of the long drawn out reasons as to why, but leasing is a thing of the past for many auto manufacturers and I think it will be going the way of the dinosaur for ALL manufacturers sooner than later. Acura is being wise to the market and making a smart business decision. They don't need to move as quickly as say, GM, who went cold turkey on leasing b/c Acura's vehicles hold their value, so they can gently push their cutomers into buying. But again, don't expect leasing to be around much longer...
Old 09-04-2008, 08:35 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BradE
Are you going through internet departments or just calling these places? Deal with the internet sales dept, you usually get a better deal. Depending on what your credit score is, you can get a car loan for 5% or less pretty easily from an external lending source, it comes out cheaper in the long run if you use the $2500 dealer cash incentive and don't use Honda finance, even with the higher rate.

I paid $33,200 for my type s, with destination. Plus tax and title.
I have been going through the internet sales managers with the exception of my local dealer.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:47 PM
Advanced

About 2 months ago, I received an email from a dealer in Virginia. They were having an end of month sale, which had at least 5 TL's with Nav for 29,900. I don't remember what the non Nav TL's were going for. I am quite sure it was Radley Acura in Virginia.
I posted the email in the forum and one of the members called the dealer, to verify the prices and all seemed legit.
Unfortunately, I can't find the email or posting.
You may want to try their internet sales dept. and see if they can send you some pricing.
Good luck,
Chris
Old 09-04-2008, 11:22 PM
Advanced

I just got an email quote from Weir Canyon Acura for $30,489 (without negotiation) . I think the most important thing to do is deal with the internet sales department. And even try bargaining with them through that.
Old 09-04-2008, 11:35 PM
Cruisin'

I just got an email quote from Weir Canyon Acura for $30,489 (without negotiation) . I think the most important thing to do is deal with the internet sales department. And even try bargaining with them through that.
tl? or tls?
Old 09-05-2008, 09:14 AM
Instructor

On my deal I basically got 7k off msrp with mud flaps, wheel locks, and all weather mats included not extra. At that price I used honda finance but not the special rate. 4.49 for 60 or 4.99 for 72 is what I qualified for. If you have 6k off on a tl no nav your probably getting pretty really close to the bottom price. My price was on a tl-s and if I was working a deal on a tl-non nav I would be working towards 28,400 plus ttl. Stick to your guns call the internet manager tell them your pulling the trigger tonight. I had to work 2 dealers against each other to make the sell. Good luck
Old 09-05-2008, 09:26 AM
Instructor

Here is an email I received back in may that I used to get my deal. This dealer was about an hour and half from where I live a closer dealer got sale. I hope it helps.

Subject: RE: tl-s

Hi Tad,

Here is your written quote for the TL TYPE S 2008.....MSRP of $38,940.00.....

Fleet selling price ............ $32,070.00
Fees
Doc......................... 55.00
License..................... 273.00
Electronic DMV Filing....... 28.00
CA tire fee................. 8.75
County fees................. 22.00
Sales tax @ 7.75................ 2,489.69

Total out the door............. $34,946.44

Included with purchase, until May 31st, 2008, is a $100 gas card. This is a fleet departmnet offer and valid only when presented to either myself, or to my assistant fleet manager, Tricia.

Please give me a call or email me and we can proceed with your request. My direct line in the fleet department is 310-784-8623.

Hope to talk to you soon. ASAP if interested as I have only 3 TL TYPE S in stock at this time.

Thanks,

Jerry Ede
Fleet Manager
POWER ACURA SOUTH BAY
310-539-3636 X 123 DEALERSHIP #
Old 09-05-2008, 11:20 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I have been going through the internet sales managers with the exception of my local dealer.
Always use the internet department, even for your local dealer. It's so much easier then dealing with the regular saleman crap.

FYI, Acura bumped up the dealer cash incentive to $3,500 for September, up from $2,500 in August. Get an external lending source, there is no way you'll save $3,500 by financing it through Honda.
Old 09-05-2008, 02:20 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BradE
Always use the internet department, even for your local dealer. It's so much easier then dealing with the regular saleman crap.

FYI, Acura bumped up the dealer cash incentive to $3,500 for September, up from $2,500 in August. Get an external lending source, there is no way you'll save $3,500 by financing it through Honda.
I actually used the internet department, but when we went in to have my trade appraised, they turn it over to a regular salesman. Thanks for the info about the incentive change. I just got an email from one dealer telling me that due to changes, they were able to give me another $500, sounds like they are keeping a little for themselves. We will have to see. Thanks for all the info. Tac
Old 09-05-2008, 08:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

/\
That's how the Acura dealer we used for the TSX was, and I completely used it against them because we built a rapport with the internet sales woman and she led us to believe we would be dealing w/ her when we got there. When some jerk took over when we got there (and I mean JERK), I went right to the sales mgr. and used it in our favor.
Old 09-05-2008, 09:26 PM
Advanced

tl? or tls?
TL with Navi, according to them they have no more TL-S.

**They just lowered it to $28,400!! I'm loving these price reductions!!
Old 09-07-2008, 12:40 AM
'08 Type S KBP

I was quoted $32K +TTL for TL-S today. I'm looking to trade in my 06 TL and want the KBP type S with ebony interior. I can't locate any with ebony yet, only the taupe. I absolutely hate the parchment in my current TL....gets dirty too easily. If I find a S in KPB with ebony for $32K I'm buying it.
Old 09-07-2008, 12:43 AM
'08 Type S KBP

TL with Navi, according to them they have no more TL-S.

**They just lowered it to $28,400!! I'm loving these price reductions!!
Wow , that's a good price...considering I paid almost $31K for my 06TL 2 years ago.
Old 09-07-2008, 05:51 AM
Stock 07 TL NBP

You guys are lucky. The TL is too expensive in Canada, actually almost everything in Canada is overpriced. I am starting to think about purchasing my next vehicle from the states.

Canadian prices @ acura.ca
2008 Base TL $42,700 before taxes and freight and PDI
2008 TL Navi $45,800 before taxes and freight and PDI
2008 TL-S $46,500 before taxes and freight and PDI

Not to mention taxes are very high. After taxes for the base TL it comes to approximately $50,000.

Quick Reply: Help, trying to buy 08 TL