Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

!!help!!still A Nubie!!help!! Anti-theft Code

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 12:08 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
!!help!!still A Nubie!!help!! Anti-theft Code

I need help how to remove the radio unit to obtain serial numbers to have the dealers give me the code to have my radio working again. I just got my TL out of the bodyshop because of two hit-n-runs from the holidays parked at the mall, and when i got the car back the anti-theft was activated. I don't have the anti-theft card because I bought the car used from a Credit Union Used Car Lot, and got a pretty good deal on it too compare to the dealers. Bought the car w/ 6400 mi. and still have the 4 year warranty. But, to the point...I called the dealers to see if I can take the car in and have the dealers support me with the code and they told me to I would have to pay about $145 to get to the serial number and they will provide me with the code. But if I just give them the serial number they'll give me the code over the phone free of charge. Can anybody provide me with information how to get to the radio unit?
Old 02-13-2006, 12:12 PM
FOR SALE - BM

i had to deal with the same situation. i have heard that there are a few stickers on the car in which you can find the numbers... check in the glove box for 1 supposably there is a sticker their in which the codes are printed. i have also heard that there are stickers on the trunk lid and somebody mentioned under the hood... none of those unfortunately worked for me. So, i had to take it to the dealer.. i asked what he did. and im sure you could probably do it yourself... if you remove the vent housing (above the nav) you should be able to see inside somehow and get the numbers off the radio.. at least that is what the tech told me when he had to do it to mine... good luck..
Old 02-13-2006, 12:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 708 Likes on 325 Posts
Doesn't the dealer usually include a card with the stereo code in the owner's kit?
Old 02-13-2006, 12:24 PM
FOR SALE - BM

yeah but if you get the car preowned they don't have a code for you.... i went as far as to find the dealership where my car came from and i gave them a call (montclair) .. they told me that they don't keep the info for that long and it wasn't in their record... i tried everything in order no to take the entire dash apart like i thought... but i only had to have the upper vent removed... seemed pretty easy, it just pulled out with a special tool that they had... but im sure there are other people on this site that have pulled it out with other household items...
Old 02-13-2006, 01:14 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by drdamian
i had to deal with the same situation. i have heard that there are a few stickers on the car in which you can find the numbers... check in the glove box for 1 supposably there is a sticker their in which the codes are printed. i have also heard that there are stickers on the trunk lid and somebody mentioned under the hood... none of those unfortunately worked for me. So, i had to take it to the dealer.. i asked what he did. and im sure you could probably do it yourself... if you remove the vent housing (above the nav) you should be able to see inside somehow and get the numbers off the radio.. at least that is what the tech told me when he had to do it to mine... good luck..
Thanks for the advice. I'll try when i get home, don't have the car with me today.
Old 02-13-2006, 01:46 PM
Administrator

Received 1,002 Likes on 572 Posts
As they said, look all over the car for the sticker. Mine is on the outside left hand part of the glove box, but it could be anywhere. Check the fuse box covers, both inside the car by your left foot or outside by the engine, or in the center arm rest covers.

If you don't find anything, then this thread will tell you how to remove your radio.
Old 02-13-2006, 02:25 PM
Instructor

Wait if you call up with the serial num he will give you the code? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of the anti thef? I mean I can steal your radio and call up with the serial num and get the code. Seems pointless to me.
Old 02-13-2006, 02:51 PM
Registered Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by shaker31280
Wait if you call up with the serial num he will give you the code? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of the anti thef? I mean I can steal your radio and call up with the serial num and get the code. Seems pointless to me.
With my first gen, I went in (one of the service guys knew me from previous services) I gave him the serial number, and he gave me the code.

You may have to go to the dealership and bring the registration/ID to prove that the car is in fact yours.
Old 02-13-2006, 04:32 PM
All About Trance

Received 124 Likes on 109 Posts
If you've already signed up with Owner Link, click on My TL after logging in, and you'll see your radio code below the Interior Color. Hope this helps.