Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help!!! someone hurt my baby

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 03:09 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help!!! someone hurt my baby

Short take - My 05 TL was rear-ended while parked last Saturday, and the driver took off. The damage was to the rear bumper and the rear driver's side quarter panel. The scary part is that the rear driver's side wheel was pushed in and one side of the exhaust was torn out. The car was immobile so it was towed to where my insurance company wanted.

I finally talked to the adjuster today. He said they want to repair it and not total it out. He said the rear sub-frame will have to be replaced. I asked if it was welded on, and he said it was bolted. I asked if the passenger's side suspension would also be replaced, and he said they would only replace the driver's side. I have not authorized any repairs yet. I have an appointment tomorrow to meet with him and go over everything.

I'm just totally bummed about this. I bought the car new and paid it off over a year ago. The car was perfect. I was gonna keep it forever. Any advice?

My friend has some pics on his phone. I'm going to take some more tomorrow.
Old 02-23-2010, 03:13 PM
2011 ZCP E92 M3!!

sucks bro =(
Old 02-23-2010, 03:19 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
sucks man ... i know how u feel ... i hit a huge pothole yesterday and cracked a wheel, hoping for no suspension damage
Old 02-23-2010, 05:10 PM
1st 3g Turbo TL-S

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
wow, thats so ghey. And of course the jerk didn't leave any contact info did he?

If the repairs are able to be done right, and the car will function as good as new. I'd say go for it. But i know that can't happen. If the subframe is damaged, more than likely there is more unseen damage that will affect the feel of the car later. It sux to say, but i doubt it will ever feel like 100% after this
Old 02-23-2010, 05:41 PM
Instructor

Nope, it will never be the same. I have no info from the guy who hit me. I don't even know how he drove off. There were pieces of his car near the scene. So now it's up to my insurance company to pay everything, and I know they're going to try paying as little as possible. I'm just not sure how to negotiate with them. I would like to have another body shop give an estimate. I guess I'll have a better idea once I see the car on a lift.
Old 02-23-2010, 06:02 PM
Former Whiner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Like a torn ACL, i'm sorry to be negative.

just the way it is.
Atleast you still have full coverage.
Old 02-23-2010, 06:24 PM
Instructor

Here's one pic of the accident. I know the quality sucks. I am going to take some better ones tomorrow.

It'll never be the same.

Old 02-23-2010, 06:39 PM
Newb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
sorry to hear that =\

Maybe its time to get a newer model?
Old 02-23-2010, 06:59 PM
Drifting

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
I'm so sorry man. It seems like TL's have been getting damaged left and right. Almost every time I come on, someone is in an accident.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:20 PM
Full of water...

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
holy shit, i wasnt expecting that much damage. no advice from me just best of luck man, i really hope the repairs go smoothly!
Old 02-23-2010, 09:07 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 591 Likes on 455 Posts
thats not bad damage at all, they will fix it good as new
not a drive wheel easy repair

drunk driver for sure
Old 02-23-2010, 09:28 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
go in person and talk with the body shop
Ask if they have checked everything in detail or just made an original estimate based on visual exam that the insurance co approved as being below `totalled`

Then they remove a panel or whatever and find more damage,,,and its additional cost puts it over the ins co totalled limits so they pay you out instead

For you there is reduced value after repairs in resale if fixed

for them- they have to compare to other cars.. model match to yours in year/miles, what its selling for in your area and come up with a number based on that and the guides.
Any recent work you had done, major service or items installed on the car you cant remove now are additional value you want taken into the number
Old 02-23-2010, 09:29 PM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
which shop did you take it to...? one you chose or the insurance co's shop... note that the insurance co's shop will do the work to save the insurance co money... a private shop would easily total it... the tear down is essential.. looking at that tiny grainy picture it is TOTAL LOSS... the rear quarter panel is gone, trunk inside is likely also as well as possible rear door damage... the car def took a bad hit
Old 02-23-2010, 11:45 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by stillhere153
which shop did you take it to...? one you chose or the insurance co's shop... note that the insurance co's shop will do the work to save the insurance co money... a private shop would easily total it... the tear down is essential.. looking at that tiny grainy picture it is TOTAL LOSS... the rear quarter panel is gone, trunk inside is likely also as well as possible rear door damage... the car def took a bad hit
After the accident, I had it towed to the shop the insurance company wanted. I'm going to meet the adjuster at the shop and go over everything.

The car definitely took a bad hit. I was walking back to my car when it happened. I was about a block away when I heard the crash. When I realized my car was in the same area of the crash, I starting running. The guy had already taken off. I was gonna jump in my car and chase after him, and then I saw the rear wheel. I went totally ballistic. I mean my car didn't even have a ding before. I just waxed it last fall. It makes me sick. I guess I should be happy no one was hurt.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:48 PM
I have car ADD

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
No way that wont be totalled... Any twisting near the C-Pillar and roof?

just from that tiny pic, i can tell you, you will need

Exhaust
Trunk Lid
Quarter Panel
C-Pillar
Rear Door
Bumper cover
Wheel
Suspension
Rear subframe
Rear Body pan
End links
Stabilizer Bar
Tail light
Trunk Garnish
Bumper support

and its going to take ALOT of time on the frame machine. it will need to be pulled... plus it looks like the C pillar is f*cked up....

I say about $6500 in parts, and $3500 in labor... $10k... at least

For an 05 TL with how many? miles. it will most likely be totalled.. just be patient

Last edited by BLACKURA_NY; 02-23-2010 at 11:50 PM.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:55 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by BLACKURA_NY
No way that wont be totalled... Any twisting near the C-Pillar and roof?

just from that tiny pic, i can tell you, you will need

Exhaust
Trunk Lid
Quarter Panel
C-Pillar
Rear Door
Bumper cover
Wheel
Suspension
Rear subframe
Rear Body pan
End links
Stabilizer Bar
Tail light
Trunk Garnish
Bumper support

and its going to take ALOT of time on the frame machine. it will need to be pulled... plus it looks like the C pillar is f*cked up....

I say about $6500 in parts, and $3500 in labor... $10k... at least

For an 05 TL with how many? miles. it will most likely be totalled.. just be patient
There was a little crinkle in the C pillar. The rear driver's side door wasn't damaged, but it didn't want to open so I didn't force it. The trunk lid seemed to be ok. It's a 2005 with Navi and 65k miles.
Old 02-24-2010, 12:01 AM
Safety Car

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Take it to private shop and get an estimate. I am sure insurance companies allow that. Mine did twice. They gave me option if I wanted to go to shop they suggest or I want to take it where ever I want. There is no way that it is not totaled. Just look at that poor thing all twisted and mangled up..
Old 02-24-2010, 12:15 AM
TL = True Love

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by blkaspec
holy shit, i wasnt expecting that much damage. no advice from me just best of luck man, i really hope the repairs go smoothly!
+ 1

took the words right out of my mouth when i saw this pic.
i feel for you man, cant imagine the frustration and the alcohol consumption you are going through. (at least that's what i would be doing now)
Old 02-24-2010, 12:29 AM
Cruisin'

that sucks man. i wish you and your baby the best of luck.
Old 02-24-2010, 02:04 AM
REDBULL///AMG

i own a body shop n that car is lookin like a total loss to me, its gona need an entire rear clip 1/4 skin lots of hours on a frame machine n lots of heating/streching n welding, sorry bout ur loss
Old 02-24-2010, 02:07 AM
Pro

my friend's honda civic was rear ended here in NYC and it was way less damage and his car got totalled
Old 02-24-2010, 07:53 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 06 Acura TL
i own a body shop n that car is lookin like a total loss to me, its gona need an entire rear clip 1/4 skin lots of hours on a frame machine n lots of heating/streching n welding, sorry bout ur loss
Agreed....especially being an '05 I would say it will be totalled out. I took a similar hit in the same are but not this much damage....and I was in traffic The idiot that hit you must have been really moving to do that much damage. Any time that you get into frame work, it gets dicey....
Old 02-24-2010, 08:12 AM
Cruisin'

Damn sorry to hear about your loss. That picture of the damage looks horrible.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:48 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts
Terrible news. I know how you feel as someone did the same when I had a 2k TL years ago. Hope insurance takes good care of you. Just curious - were you parked in a place where a security camera could have taped it? Might help you track them down.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:22 AM
All About Trance

Received 124 Likes on 109 Posts
Wow! What a terrible sight to look at. I'm sure your heart must've sunk after seeing that. Here's to hoping it gets totaled and you can get into a Type-S
Old 02-24-2010, 01:44 PM
Instructor

Thanks guys for the advice and support. I know it's just a car, but I'm really attached to it.

I met with the adjuster today and went over everything. They want to do the repairs. They said it's gonna be between 10k and 12k in repairs which isn't 80% of the value. I know my resale value with take a hit, but I figured I would have more value in the repaired car than if they totalled it. There's really no good option here. If I'm not happy with how it drives, I'm just going to trade it in.

They're going to replace the whole rear quarter, c-pillar, and rear bumper. The frame is going to be pulled. The rear door and trunk lid needs some body work. They're going to replace the whole exhaust, all of the rear wheel suspension and mechanicals. They're going to give me a credit for two wheels and the taillight because I have another set of wheels, and the taillight I have to redo custom. So I may not have to pay a deductible.

I got a pretty good feeling with the shop. Everything looked professional. I gave them the authorization for the repairs. All I could do now is wait and hope it works out.

Old 02-24-2010, 02:16 PM
Burning Brakes

Wow...that's a lot of damage.

It's amazing though, once they put it on the P4 rack and start straightening, how everything pops back into place. I had witnessed it in real time with my car, quite an amazing process.
I'm surprised that your insurance co. requires 80% to total it out...I was told 60% from mine....but different countries, insurance cos...

Either way, good luck on your repairs!
Old 02-24-2010, 03:38 PM
Cruisin'

wow, didn't think it would be that bad. . . I got mine after a light hit, But I gotta agree, feels different afterward, maybe its just me but there are always little things. I think I messed up cause I put 05 suspension, thats probably what made the difference. Hope everything will go well. Professionals will get it done to the dot.
Old 02-24-2010, 05:42 PM
200,000 mile club

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts
WOW! That took a hit like that standing still. OP, I feel for you man....See if you can at least get a TYPE-S exhaust out of the deal and a TYPE-S rear bumper. The only good things that can come out of things like this. Looks like the shop got right down to business....Door handles are off, the plastic is stripped and they are ready to replace parts. See if you can get pictures of the quarter panel off the car.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:51 PM
I have car ADD

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Ramrodthrusterpuppy
Wow...that's a lot of damage.

It's amazing though, once they put it on the P4 rack and start straightening, how everything pops back into place. I had witnessed it in real time with my car, quite an amazing process.
I'm surprised that your insurance co. requires 80% to total it out...I was told 60% from mine....but different countries, insurance cos...

Either way, good luck on your repairs!

Yea, When i wrecked my 06 TL, damage was about 25k.... i actually got a check for 31k which was pretty sick, considering i paid $33,500 and it already had 27k miles

I think in NY state, it was like 67% or 76% or something like that
Old 02-24-2010, 09:01 PM
My TL loves summer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sorry that happened bro .... hope they get it looking like new for yah.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:13 PM
Race Director

Received 596 Likes on 430 Posts

thats a bad hit, glad its getting fixed. as long as the shop takes its sweet time, you should be good
Old 02-26-2010, 06:40 PM
REDBULL///AMG

damn bro, if u want as soon as its fixed i believe it takes about 21 days to get reported to carfax...can anyone say TRADE-IN lol just a thought...
wish u the best man, it deff will get repaired its fairly simple, i have repaired worse.if the right shop has it it will be like new
Old 03-01-2010, 01:28 AM
Instructor

Mother fuckers i wish that guy that hit you fucking dies and if he got kids them too.......the some happen to me but not to your extend but i spend 600 to get some scraches taken of my tl and the next fucking night the back bumper had a scrach...............................people just hate orthey just dont give a fuck i hope you find out who did it -------------------------any cameras in the area where it happened ?
Old 03-01-2010, 02:04 AM
Former Whiner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
little extreme rant there billz1109...

Old 03-01-2010, 07:54 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by billz1109
Mother fuckers i wish that guy that hit you fucking dies and if he got kids them too.......the some happen to me but not to your extend but i spend 600 to get some scraches taken of my tl and the next fucking night the back bumper had a scrach...............................people just hate orthey just dont give a fuck i hope you find out who did it -------------------------any cameras in the area where it happened ?
I understand your rage. If the guy's car would've stalled, I really don't know what I would of done. I was seeing red at the time. I didn't start calming down for a couple of days. Now I'm just glad no one was hurt. A car can always be replaced. The only way a car is going to stay perfect is if you always keep it in the garage and don't enjoy it.

No luck with cameras in the area. It was mostly residential where I was parked.
Old 03-01-2010, 08:24 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i wouldnt give up looking for the guy, if you were close enough to hear the crash, did you get a look at the car, even a quick one? and maybe there were cameras down the street or something, im sure someone would coudl easily spot that car, its front end must have also been pretty wrecked
Old 03-01-2010, 08:44 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry to hear about the car. I'm with 06 Acura TL....trade it in before it goes to carfax haha