Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help painting grille/ rims

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 11:12 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help painting grille/ rims

Hey, i have a 2006 black TL with black interior, i want to make it look cooler, but i dont want to spend a ton of money. ive seen people paint there rims and grilles black and i wasnt sure if people did it professionally or at home, I'd rather it be done professionally but i dont want to spend a ton. could someone tell me how much it costs to get that done or how to DIY?

also, doesnt anyone know if tinting your headlights is legal in NC?

Last edited by samspot44; 12-24-2009 at 11:14 PM.
Old 12-25-2009, 05:58 PM
8th Gear

I am interested to hear about the diy painting also.
Old 12-25-2009, 11:25 PM
Racer

first off, tinting i believe is legal in NC, but first off, does not look very good on TLs IMO, and secondly, you dont want to sacrifice the light

solutions:
get something custom from JnC
OR go to bluebatmobile get teh sidemarker overlays that cover the amber part of the headlights, gives it not only a more dynamic/aggressive/clean look than full tint, you dont lose the light

onto painting: seems to me as though you are going for a blackout, in which you do have a good idea of wat to do

i painted my stock tl-s rims black, i had no experience whatsoever, but i found it very easy to do as long as you take your time and be careful, and the results are awesome, furthermore, painted stockies look VERY sick

if you ask me, if you want powdercoat look for at least 100 dollars, but for me, i painted mine for 15 dollars (5 for each primer, black engine enamel, and clearcut), of course the professional powercoat is probably higher quality, but really the paint looks just as good IMO, and if you take good care fo youre car, itll be just as good
painting your own rims is not very difficult at all

as for the grille, i have not painted, but i am planning on getting it wrapped in vinyl professionally, some members on the forum have done it, looks just as good, and it is more resistant to chipping, not to mention reversible, so you may want to consider that.
Old 12-26-2009, 12:52 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by t3hanarchist
first off, tinting i believe is legal in NC, but first off, does not look very good on TLs IMO, and secondly, you dont want to sacrifice the light

solutions:
get something custom from JnC
OR go to bluebatmobile get teh sidemarker overlays that cover the amber part of the headlights, gives it not only a more dynamic/aggressive/clean look than full tint, you dont lose the light

onto painting: seems to me as though you are going for a blackout, in which you do have a good idea of wat to do

i painted my stock tl-s rims black, i had no experience whatsoever, but i found it very easy to do as long as you take your time and be careful, and the results are awesome, furthermore, painted stockies look VERY sick

if you ask me, if you want powdercoat look for at least 100 dollars, but for me, i painted mine for 15 dollars (5 for each primer, black engine enamel, and clearcut), of course the professional powercoat is probably higher quality, but really the paint looks just as good IMO, and if you take good care fo youre car, itll be just as good
painting your own rims is not very difficult at all

as for the grille, i have not painted, but i am planning on getting it wrapped in vinyl professionally, some members on the forum have done it, looks just as good, and it is more resistant to chipping, not to mention reversible, so you may want to consider that.
do you know how much the wrapped vinyl costs? and what kinds of car places do it? sorry I'm new to all this car stuff.

ps good advice on the rims and on the lights
Old 12-26-2009, 11:24 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by samspot44
do you know how much the wrapped vinyl costs? and what kinds of car places do it? sorry I'm new to all this car stuff.

ps good advice on the rims and on the lights
theres a guy in st louis where i live that does professioanl vinyl graphics and anything with vinyl, he said he hasnt done TL grills before, but all the other grilles from other cars are running about $40, if you are interested, his site is
vinyl-designs.com try emailing him and he may work out a deal for you to ship them to him he does that too

idk anywhere else, try joining some local forums of your area and checking there, ALTERNATIVELY you could try doing it yourself, vinyls a little tricky, but you can figure it out with time
Old 12-26-2009, 03:31 PM

Received 9,507 Likes on 6,176 Posts
First of all welcome to Acurazine!

I live in Cary, NC, which is right outside of Raleigh, so I'll try my best to sum up the tint laws and such.

The headlights cannot have any kind of film on them. The taillights aren't either, but mine are smoked, and I've never had a problem passing inspection. The windows cannot read out lower than 32.0% by a tint meter, therefore you will need to put 35% tint on the windows so it reads out 32%.

I've never painted my wheels, so I can't help you there.

I just painted my grill last weekend in my garage. The hardest part of the whole process is removing the front bumper. It's not hard to take it off, there are just clips and bolts everywhere. Once that's off, it's pretty easy to take the grill off of the bumper and prep it for paint.

Now when it came to painting everything, I got three different kinds of paint: Adhesion Promotor to make sure the paint sticks and also prevent peeling down the road, Flat Black Engine Enamel Paint (High Heat Resistant), and Gloss Black Engine Enamel. Of course the colors you choose can be different depending on what you want your grill to look like, but that's what I chose. Here is how mine turned out:

The hardest part of everything is waiting for everything to dry and then putting it all back together. Besides that, it's a fairly easy project that can be knocked out in half of a day.
Old 12-26-2009, 11:06 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by CLtotheTL32
First of all welcome to Acurazine!

I live in Cary, NC, which is right outside of Raleigh, so I'll try my best to sum up the tint laws and such.

The headlights cannot have any kind of film on them. The taillights aren't either, but mine are smoked, and I've never had a problem passing inspection. The windows cannot read out lower than 32.0% by a tint meter, therefore you will need to put 35% tint on the windows so it reads out 32%.

I've never painted my wheels, so I can't help you there.

I just painted my grill last weekend in my garage. The hardest part of the whole process is removing the front bumper. It's not hard to take it off, there are just clips and bolts everywhere. Once that's off, it's pretty easy to take the grill off of the bumper and prep it for paint.

Now when it came to painting everything, I got three different kinds of paint: Adhesion Promotor to make sure the paint sticks and also prevent peeling down the road, Flat Black Engine Enamel Paint (High Heat Resistant), and Gloss Black Engine Enamel. Of course the colors you choose can be different depending on what you want your grill to look like, but that's what I chose. Here is how mine turned out:

The hardest part of everything is waiting for everything to dry and then putting it all back together. Besides that, it's a fairly easy project that can be knocked out in half of a day.
o that is very helpful, thanks. are your head lights cleared? ( no orange turn signal) because i want to clear them and dont want to mess my car up by DIY. did you do it or did someone do it for you? and your grille looks nice you did a good job
Old 12-26-2009, 11:08 PM
10th Gear

hey t3hanarchist, when you get yours done, could you post a pic? id like to see how it turns out
Old 12-27-2009, 12:06 AM

o that is very helpful, thanks. are your head lights cleared? ( no orange turn signal) because i want to clear them and dont want to mess my car up by DIY. did you do it or did someone do it for you? and your grille looks nice you did a good job
Thanks man. The headlights are blacked out but I left the turn signal housing silver so the light output from the switchbacks are brighter. Another local Acurazine member came over to my house and we knocked out both lights in one day.
Old 12-27-2009, 12:58 PM
10th Gear

yeah, i want to do that with my head lights, i just have no idea how. and im not great with DIY maybe ill try to find someone in NC to help me out. car looks nice though
Old 12-27-2009, 01:07 PM

^Where in NC are you located?
Old 12-27-2009, 05:40 PM
10th Gear

charlotte
Old 12-27-2009, 07:59 PM

There are a bunch of Acurazine members over in the Charlotte area.

Post in the Southeastern section of the Regions Forum at the top of the screen. Maybe somebody would be willing to help you out
Old 12-27-2009, 11:30 PM
10th Gear

thanks, i posted one
Old 01-19-2010, 02:18 PM
Intermediate

Does anyone have pics of oem wheels painted? I am thinking of painting my 06 rims black with Dupont industrial coatings so they will last.
Old 02-18-2010, 03:13 AM
10th Gear

I painted my wheels gunmetal grey. It took me several hours (sanding, taping, and several coats of primer/paint), but it turned out perfect. I highly recommend it. Total cost was about $30 and I have had tons of complements.

I will post pictures soon.
Old 02-18-2010, 04:34 PM
Racer

painting wheels is really easy just make sure u using the right paint and do layers as thin as you possibly can, the thinner the layers the more professional it loooks
Old 02-18-2010, 05:19 PM
Drifting

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
The grill is quite easy. It is basically sanding and painting and baking and clearcoating...multiple times.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:56 PM
Advanced

what kind of paint do you use for the inside of the headlights?
Old 05-05-2011, 09:23 PM
Race Director

Received 2,316 Likes on 1,690 Posts
Originally Posted by thenick708
what kind of paint do you use for the inside of the headlights?
Damn old topic lol

I'm about to use Krylon Fusion Gloss Black for my headlights, though.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:21 PM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
I've painted a couple things: my emlbems, my grill, and my engine cover. All of them were really easy to do especially since we have the DIY aka the "garage".

for your grill first go to the DIY section of the 3g TL forum to look at how to remove your bumper which only takes 15 minutes. once you do that you need to disassemble your grill. once you have that done you're ready to start painting.

When you're painting you need three things, fine grit sand paper, primer or adhesion promotor, and your primary paint color.

1. you need to sand the areas you want to paint with fine grit sand paper. *wet sanding is recommended, wet sanding it sanding with the aid of soap and water which prevents all the the gunk from building up on your sand paper and gives you an easier time with a better quality job*
2. once you've sanded the area you need to wipe it off and make sure it's clean then spray on your primer which will help your paint adhere to the area. you will coat the areas with primer, but prevent dripping and over coating, about 10-15 minutes between each layer.
3. once you're done with layering the area with your primer make sure the primer has had ample time to dry then you can layer on your paint 15-20 minutes apart and let dry.

then after that you just need to put everything back together, for my grill and my emblems i didn't really wait that long between layers and it still came out great, by my engine cover i took a really long time on cause i was just learning to how paint things especially with paint cans haha.
Old 05-07-2011, 11:14 PM
Racquetballer

I know it's kinda whack but has anyone tried plasti-dip to black out their grill?
Old 05-08-2011, 12:08 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 306 Likes on 193 Posts
Originally Posted by krmerritt
I know it's kinda whack but has anyone tried plasti-dip to black out their grill?
I've seen it before, and it looks ok. Its a matte look.
Old 05-08-2011, 01:58 AM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by krmerritt
I did it 2 days ago on WDP. I taped off the parts I didn't want to get paint on w/ newspaper and masking tape and went to town. Didn't remove bumper or undo anything.

It looks great, IMO. Plastidip is latex-like, so it's going to stretch where you don't want it to, and refuse to cut/break when you want it to. I did it kind of as a trial to see how it'd look. The matte looks good IMO, and it IS reversible, just be damned sure you do a tits job of taping shit off because you won't get this stuff out of your radiator if it gets in.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:41 AM
I Like turtles

Received 300 Likes on 238 Posts
Glad to see another NC member, I'm in Greensboro

I did my wheels in graphite about 2 weeks ago and love it, wasn't a hard DIY project. Going to do my grill the same color here in a few weeks. Here's a few pics of the wheels and engine cover I've painted

I'll be getting my 35% tint here in June so I'll let ya know how that goes too
Old 05-08-2011, 07:43 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 306 Likes on 193 Posts
That color look nice. What kind of paint and color is it?
Old 05-09-2011, 03:19 AM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
plasti-dip! honestly you cant fuck up with plasti-dip and if you do just wait for it to dry, peel it off and do it again! i plastidipped my grilles and left the "A" chrome and plastidipped the "A" in the back
Old 05-11-2011, 05:20 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by nyczkennyy
plasti-dip! honestly you cant fuck up with plasti-dip and if you do just wait for it to dry, peel it off and do it again! i plastidipped my grilles and left the "A" chrome and plastidipped the "A" in the back
Yeah, I need to order some plastidip. I'm going to do my grill and my wheels with it. Not sure if the wheels are going to stay flat black or going to get painted over, but I like the idea of not having to sand my type s wheels and just peel the plastidip off when I want to sell the wheels.
Old 05-11-2011, 05:45 PM
I Like turtles

Received 300 Likes on 238 Posts
Originally Posted by AckTL05
That color look nice. What kind of paint and color is it?
for the rims or engine covers?
Old 05-11-2011, 07:08 PM
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts
Hey, i have a 2006 black TL with black interior, i want to make it look cooler, but i dont want to spend a ton of money. ive seen people paint there rims and grilles black and i wasnt sure if people did it professionally or at home, I'd rather it be done professionally but i dont want to spend a ton. could someone tell me how much it costs to get that done or how to DIY?

also, doesnt anyone know if tinting your headlights is legal in NC?

Here is a link to my pics. I painted the stockies black, smoked the tails and will post pics of the grille that I wrapped in 3M Di-noc

https://acurazine.com/forums/members/cpm06wdptl-306884-albums-started-modding-8097/