Help...does this break pad look new to you?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2010 | 02:01 PM
10th Gear

Help...does this break pad look new to you?

Garage just changed my break pad...came back, but it doesn't look any thick[IMG]file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Administrator/Desktop/CIMG2427.JPG[/IMG]er....this on a 07 TL Type-s

Old 05-28-2010 | 02:11 PM
Chapter Leader (New England)

Dude I can barely even tell what I'm looking at, or what you're asking.

If you asking me if they look like new pads, I would need you to take your wheels off and get a better angle.
Old 05-28-2010 | 02:44 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by JMillerUA6
Dude I can barely even tell what I'm looking at, or what you're asking.

If you asking me if they look like new pads, I would need you to take your wheels off and get a better angle.

Yeah check to see if they look new....what about this angle...

thx

Old 05-28-2010 | 02:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

that wear indicator is kind of close to the rotor.
I'd actually question the shop about this.
Also the pad doesnt look flat. Flat like when you buy it. Looks slanted
Old 05-28-2010 | 03:12 PM
Registered Member

No, it does not look like a new pad. There should be quite a bit more material than what is seen here... at least from the pictures you've provided.
Old 05-28-2010 | 03:50 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
No, it does not look like a new pad. There should be quite a bit more material than what is seen here... at least from the pictures you've provided.
Could some post a pic of what it should look like that would be great...thx
Old 05-28-2010 | 05:21 PM
10th Gear

It doesn't look new to me.
Old 05-28-2010 | 05:28 PM
Instructor

I just changed my front and rear pads today and put factory pads on. that DOES NOT look new at all..
Old 05-28-2010 | 05:30 PM
Drifting

easiest way to tell is to look at the backing plate of the pads, which you should be able to see just by looking at your calipers closely through the wheels. If they are dirty, then the pads are old... If they are VERY clean, then either the pads are new, or the shop removed the pads, cleaned them, and put them back in....

Otherwise, by judging by the pics, your pads look old... Either that, or they installed sh!tty pads...
Old 05-28-2010 | 05:56 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by avs007
easiest way to tell is to look at the backing plate of the pads, which you should be able to see just by looking at your calipers closely through the wheels. If they are dirty, then the pads are old... If they are VERY clean, then either the pads are new, or the shop removed the pads, cleaned them, and put them back in....

Otherwise, by judging by the pics, your pads look old... Either that, or they installed sh!tty pads...
According to them...they installed 45022-SEP-60

They did show me the pads they took out...so at the moment...it's my word vs their's...if someone with the above pad could post a pic here that would give me some leverage....thanks. Otherwise I am not sure what else I can do...
Old 05-28-2010 | 06:32 PM
Team Owner

have another shop look at the new brakes for you

Did you bring the old parts home?
otherwise its just parts they showed you- dont even know they came from your car unless in a bag with invoice number on it ( I worked in the biz)

Minimum pad material thickness is normally 2mm- as determined by that bent metal piece on pad back hits the rotor when pad material wears down that far- the sqeualer tab- its called

See how it would hit when brake applied
Measure actual pad thickness
Look at top of pad for vent cut thru its depth down to 2mm in center

not all pads have the center vent but those with are easy to see wear- look for the slot thru the opening on top of caliper- thats what the hole is for

the shop may think the tech did the brake job..but it doesnt look right to any of us who have done more brake jobs than you can count

brand new pads are either 8mm pad or 10mm thick pad material depending on maker
Either will require the piston in the caliper to be pushed back nearly flat with the caliper body,,normally its out a little and you can see it after a little wear
It stays extended slightly as pads wear- if you can see 1/2 inch of piston you have no brakes!!

Pad sets come with 4 pads- 2 for each wheel,inner and outer
there should be 1 pad with the metal squealer tab put on inner side of brake rotor-
do not install pads so one rotor has both pads with the tab
Outer pad has no extra bits on it
Ck those- never trust anyone!- they low man does brake jobs

Caution to all who do rear brakes- several makers use the wrong backing plate- including hawk- it will have a 3rd- middle tab on the inner pad
the 3rd tab hits the caliper piston- only half the pad gets pushed and a funky shake under braking occurs
To see if thats happened to you look at inner face of rear rotors- shiny across is good
half rusty/half shiny across its width means has extra tab on pads
remove pad and grind tab off- put back together and bed in the brakes a few times to get wear evened out

Last edited by 01tl4tl; 05-28-2010 at 06:36 PM.
Old 05-28-2010 | 08:11 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
have another shop look at the new brakes for you

Did you bring the old parts home?
otherwise its just parts they showed you- dont even know they came from your car unless in a bag with invoice number on it ( I worked in the biz)

Minimum pad material thickness is normally 2mm- as determined by that bent metal piece on pad back hits the rotor when pad material wears down that far- the sqeualer tab- its called

See how it would hit when brake applied
Measure actual pad thickness
Look at top of pad for vent cut thru its depth down to 2mm in center

not all pads have the center vent but those with are easy to see wear- look for the slot thru the opening on top of caliper- thats what the hole is for

the shop may think the tech did the brake job..but it doesnt look right to any of us who have done more brake jobs than you can count

brand new pads are either 8mm pad or 10mm thick pad material depending on maker
Either will require the piston in the caliper to be pushed back nearly flat with the caliper body,,normally its out a little and you can see it after a little wear
It stays extended slightly as pads wear- if you can see 1/2 inch of piston you have no brakes!!

Pad sets come with 4 pads- 2 for each wheel,inner and outer
there should be 1 pad with the metal squealer tab put on inner side of brake rotor-
do not install pads so one rotor has both pads with the tab
Outer pad has no extra bits on it
Ck those- never trust anyone!- they low man does brake jobs

Caution to all who do rear brakes- several makers use the wrong backing plate- including hawk- it will have a 3rd- middle tab on the inner pad
the 3rd tab hits the caliper piston- only half the pad gets pushed and a funky shake under braking occurs
To see if thats happened to you look at inner face of rear rotors- shiny across is good
half rusty/half shiny across its width means has extra tab on pads
remove pad and grind tab off- put back together and bed in the brakes a few times to get wear evened out

Thanks for all the help....should have done this my self =/
Old 05-28-2010 | 08:15 PM
Instructor

bro....those look worn and used......
Old 05-28-2010 | 08:40 PM
Instructor

I think it would be best to get an independent mechanic to have a look and maybe sign something stating condition and pad thickness.
Old 05-28-2010 | 09:33 PM
Drifting

lol, I just happen to have new pads for the TL sitting in the living room....

Old 05-28-2010 | 10:22 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by soon2b954
I think it would be best to get an independent mechanic to have a look and maybe sign something stating condition and pad thickness.
Yeah that's what I am going to do....
Old 05-29-2010 | 02:09 AM
Advanced

It looks like in that second picture we are looking at the end of the tapered pad. That would be why:

1) It looks like it is at a weird angle
2) It doesn't look very thick. That's probably only about 1/2 as thick as the full pad itself if looking at it more from the side.

Either way doesn't hurt to take a closer look or to another shop and have em dbl check.
Old 05-29-2010 | 03:01 AM
Former Whiner

Just bring that knife with you and demand the truth from them.
Old 05-29-2010 | 07:39 AM
under renovations....

Originally Posted by Marmbo
It looks like in that second picture we are looking at the end of the tapered pad. That would be why:

1) It looks like it is at a weird angle
2) It doesn't look very thick. That's probably only about 1/2 as thick as the full pad itself if looking at it more from the side.

Either way doesn't hurt to take a closer look or to another shop and have em dbl check.
I agree with Marmbo. It's too hard to actually tell if they are new or not. And as stated earlier the shop could have showed you a different set of old pads to let you think it was done. When I changed mine I cleaned all the brake dust off everything. And by the pics yours still look a little dirty so you might be able to see if there are any fingerprints on the calipers. It might tell you if they even touched your car at all.
Old 05-30-2010 | 02:59 AM
#1 Super Guy!

lol, I just happen to have new pads for the TL sitting in the living room....

Foo, that is not a Type-S (brembo pad). Brembo pads look completely different...

As you can see in the following pic, the brembo pads have a long tapper at both the leading and trailing edges. The updated Type-S pads have an even longer leading edge tapper. If your photo is of this area it will be hard to tell if the pad is new or old because it will seem thin no matter what.

Old 05-30-2010 | 03:39 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by 94eg!
Foo, that is not a Type-S (brembo pad). Brembo pads look completely different...
Well excuse me, he didn't say what kind of car he had, I was just trying to be helpful. Yeah, I could have cross referenced the part number he posted later, but whatever, I was just trying to illustrate how thick the pad is on a new pad. You don't have to get on my ass because I posted a picture of pads that aren't brembo pads...

Instead of arguing over how pads should look from the pictures that were posted, the OP could easily tell if the pad was replaced or not, he can simply remove his wheel, and look at the top of the caliper, and see the top of the pad... Then he'll know how thick the main part of the pad was...

Old 05-30-2010 | 06:20 AM
Back From The dead

Is it me, or did you ask them not to cut your rotors?
Old 05-30-2010 | 03:16 PM
#1 Super Guy!

Well excuse me, he didn't say what kind of car he had...
Yes he did...

Originally Posted by Phonebook
...this on a 07 TL Type-s
No biggie. Sorry for sounding like a jerk.

Phonebook: As avs007 said, this is the best way to check pad condition:

Last edited by 94eg!; 05-30-2010 at 03:21 PM.
Old 05-30-2010 | 04:14 PM
Instructor

by the third picture, they look new to me. The usable pad thickness is basically the gap between the indicator and the rotor. I had the same wonder when i got mine replaced.
Old 05-30-2010 | 04:27 PM
Drifting

so I missed that part because of the screwed up img tags... still, you don't have to be an ass.
Old 05-30-2010 | 06:18 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by 94eg!
Yes he did...

No biggie. Sorry for sounding like a jerk.

Phonebook: As avs007 said, this is the best way to check pad condition:

Ah this is great info....thanks.