Old 12-16-2010, 11:05 PM
Chapter Leader (Central New Jersey)

Received 220 Likes on 202 Posts
yea there is some really good reading in this thread for new guys
Old 02-23-2011, 04:36 PM
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
BUMP...SOME REALLY GOOD INFORMATION

I am quoting this from page 10 to help you not read through all the pages. JUST START FROM PAGE 10 BEFORE POSTING, WAY TO MUCH REPOSTING GOING ON HERE.

Also will like to thank playa4real for actually doing this except for just reading all 13 pages and not do this.

Originally Posted by playa4real
So i'm pretty sure that no one wants to go through the 338 posts above to find some of the "new" features as well as read through some BS, so I decided to make a comprehensive list. (Definitely, not something I would do again ) Obviously credit goes to the users that mentioned them in the X post above. I tried to include the most helpful stuff, if something is not included, feel free to add it to the list. Mods, perhaps you can sticky this post? Anyways, hopefully many of you find this helpful!!

-------------
1. The coin holder can be moved. It is held in place by two stubs in the back of it which fit into two notches cut into the center console. Therefore it can also be mounted inside either map pocket of the front doors by the same type of notch cutouts. The little high friction area at the front of the map pockets is also great for holding small amounts of loose change.

2. The visors can be extended inwards (toward the rearview mirror) to block sunlight.

3. For the MT owners, it appears that the computer does RPM matching for upshifts. To test it try this. In second gear wind the car to say, 4000 RPM, engage the clutch, RPMS should drop and stabilize for a second at about 3000 RPMs disengage the clutch and that RPM is perfectly matched to road speed. I noticed this yesterday on mine and it seems to work every time as long as the RPMs are high enough (3500+).

4. When a CD or DVD-A is playing, hit the number of the disc (1-6) to pause the disc playing. Pressing the button again with resume play. If the button is held down the disc will be stopped and start from the beginning upon initiation.

5. The front seat head rests pivot forward and backward as well as move up and down.

6. If you are keeping a tool kit, or something else in the trunk all the time, use the plastic portion (not fabric) of the Velcro and stick it to the bottom of object (start with small amount and build up as it works well), it sticks VERY well to the carpet, and will NOT move!

7. If you give the NAVI the command "Display Current Location", not only will it display the address, town, state, altitude, longitude, and latitude, but it actually reads to you the address, town and state. Note, if you just push the white circle, you get the same screen, but no voice.

8. Push the MAX button on the dash to get maximum brightness of the gauges. Press again to return to the previous settings.

9. If the mirror adjustment switch is to the right, then the passenger mirror will flip down when you put the car in reverse. If the mirror adjustment switch is to the left, then the driver mirror will flip down when you put the car in reverse. If the mirror adjustment switch is in the middle, then nothing happens to the mirrors when you put it in reverse. However, if you drive over 5 MPH in reverse, the mirrors returns to the normal position. When you drop back under 5 MPH the mirror tilts down again.

10. To open all the windows including the moonroof, put the key in the driver’s side lock, turn it clockwise once and then do it again and hold. Or from the key FOB, press unlock once and then press it a second time and hold. To close all of the windows/sunroof, put the key in the driver’s side lock and turn counterclockwise once, and then a second time and hold. The windows/moonroof cannot be closed from the key FOB.

11. There is a "cut" on the upper tray's rear corner of the center console. This will allow you to run the charging cable from the power outlet and keep you cell phone on the upper tray as oppose to the lower bin. There is no slot to run the cable all the way out and keep the console cover closed But, I have also found that I can run my cable out of the upper tray by just laying it on the driver's side of the latches. I can get the upper tray to close and latch with the cable sticking out. Not sure if this was intended, but it works for me. I do agree that there is no real place for the cable to run out of the upper tray.

12. There is a recess on the right hand side on the interior of the trunk lid so you can close the trunk without soiling your hands.

13. If you are on a certain screen on the NAV...For example--"Setup" and you press the AUDIO button, you will get the AUDIO stuff. However, by pressing AUDIO again, you return to the previous screen.

14. In the cold the heater doesn't start blowing air until the air warms up. This is when the system is set to Auto and There is a temp displayed (not HI).

15. Cargo Net Tip:
I have the trunk tray and have not wanted to pierce said liner yet... So for now, I am using the larger net assy only. Inside the trunk, there are to 2 mounting knobs on the upper trunk area and 1 on each side of the car that are aligned with the top ones. I installed it in such a manner, that it looks like it splits the forward and back areas of the trunk--hanging in the air like a hammock.

16. The trunk lock button in the glove compartment that will deactivate the interior trunk release button, but will allow the trunk to be opened via key FOB

17. If the moonroof is opened all the way and you want to switch to just the tilt feature, press the tilt button once. The moonroof will close and then tilt up. There is no need to close it all the way and then press the tilt-up button. Essentially the process saves you one step.

18. When wipers are on intermittent, and you stop the car, the speed of the wipers goes down to the lowest setting for intermittent. When you speed up to 10 mph, the setting resets. You will notice this when the intermittent speed is on the highest setting and then pauses when you are stopped.

19. On the NAVI you can choose to "show routes" and it will go through all five methods and display them in different colors. Often, it comes down to 1 or two distinct routes, as the different options don't always produce different answers. Note: whichever choice you make will be your default routing for all later routes until you change this.

20. The center arm rest slides forward and backward for your comfort. The only down side when slid forward is you lose the second cup holder and you will have a harder time opening the compartments.

21. When you get out of your car with the headlights on (not AUTO), hit the lock button on the fob twice and first the car will lock then the lights will go out. Whenever you unlock the vehicle, the headlights will turn on.

22. Press the SCAN button momentarily while a CD is playing and it will play the first 10 sec. of each track. If you press and hold the SCAN button for 10 sec., the player will play the first 10 sec of the first track on each CD.

23. To load multiple CDs at the same time, press and hold the LOAD button, it will beep then the green light comes on allowing you to insert all 6 disks, one after the other. For ejecting the discs, press the EJECT button and hold until you hear the beep and all disks will eject, one after the other. This works without the key in as well.

24. For Bluetooth, if you are on a call, and arrive at your destination, you can shut the car off and continue the conversation in the car. As soon as you are done, just hit the end button on the wheel, and get out. I believe all the voice functions will still work with the car off assuming you are already on the phone, so you could probably transfer it if you wanted.

25. DVD-A disc's may contain sub groups or hidden groups. To change groups you need to push and hold Scan and RPT on your TL's audio Head system.

26. Press and hold RPT while a disc is playing and it will repeat the entire disc.

27. When in Sport Shift mode, you can do a 2nd gear start.

Say you're in Sport Shift (out of habit maybe) and in the Mall Parking Lot. At a full stop, click into 2nd gear. The car will NOT automatically downshift to 1st gear the next time you stop. It will stay in 2nd until you use the SS to either up or down shift. Better than running around the parking lot in 1st and 3000 rpm. Also nice around the neighborhood, dropping the kids at school, etc.

28. When viewing large lists of items on the NAV screen, you can use the Zoom-Out button to page-down the list and the Zoom-In button to page-up the list.

29. On some telephones, pressing the SPEAKER button on the phone will transfer the call to the car's Bluetooth connection. Press SPEAKER again, the call transfers back to the phone. Useful when you dial a contact from the phone, but want to use the hands-free. Using the phone, just dial the number, wait until it starts ringing, then press SPEAKER and the call will transfer.

30. When displaying your map screen, press the compass icon at the top left of the screen. The map reverts to a north-oriented display. Press it again and it toggles back to the default display setting.

-------------

Post 43 and Post 123 have information on messing around with the NAVI diagnostics. Please note that you may cause more harm than good and any changes may void the car warranty.

..and now my eyes and head are going to
Also after reading this entire thread I will add two features I came across without having to say I don't know if this was posted but......read the thread.

These are atleast from a 07 tl-s,

-When the car is unlocked if you push down the actual bar for the drivers door lock it will lock the whole car. Not to helpful since the button is right there but if u need to lock your car really quick right when you get in, it can come in handy.

-Can't think of the 2nd one after reading all this haha if I remember I will add.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:36 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
Damn. I've needed #23 since I started making DVD-A discs. Hope i remember when I get home.

Something I've learned over time: When you get a new gadget and have used it for a while (a few months, even a year or more) go back and re-read the manual.

I have always found things that made me say, "Wow!! I didn't know it'd do that".
Old 02-26-2011, 08:26 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1. The coin holder can be moved.

Is this where the sunglasses holder in the side pocket should be
(manual mentions it), but are not in my used 2004 tl?
2. The visors can be extended inwards (toward the rearview mirror) to block sunlight.
Thanks!!! I did NOT read this in the manual.
9. If the mirror adjustment switch is to the right, then the passenger mirror will flip down when you put the car in reverse.
This is for parallel parking (left or right vs. both for straight backing) per the manual. LOVE this for seeing where the curb is when you are parallel parking!
10. To open all the windows including the moonroof, put the key in the driver’s side lock, turn it clockwise once and then do it again and hold.
This doesnt work for me, but using the key fob does.
17. If the moonroof is opened all the way and you want to switch to just the tilt feature, press the tilt button once.

If it is opened in ANY position and you select another position, it goes directly there. Except for the tilt position to closed, for that one I have to click the close position.
18. When wipers are on intermittent, and you stop the car, the speed of the wipers goes down to the lowest setting for intermittent.
This freaked me out at first. Thought the intermittent wipers were electrically "off." Now, I cant wait for it to rain again! LOL
21. When you get out of your car with the headlights on (not AUTO), hit the lock button on the fob twice and first the car will lock then the lights will go out. Whenever you unlock the vehicle, the headlights will turn on.
Where is the AUTO position? This is not in the manual and I am admittedly blonde!!! I did set the time off for them, but I dont know where the AUTO is.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:01 PM
the overexplainer

Received 385 Likes on 337 Posts
Originally Posted by rebelangel

Where is the AUTO position? This is not in the manual and I am admittedly blonde!!! I did set the time off for them, but I dont know where the AUTO is.
auto is only available on 07-08 models IIRC.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:18 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by ez12a
auto is only available on 07-08 models IIRC.
So why does my 04 let me program the key fob to save my settings for the headlights off? It's in seconds like the interior light dimmer.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:20 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by ez12a's signature
'04 ABP/Camel 6MT + Navi
04 ABP/Quartz 6MT non-Navi here!
Old 02-26-2011, 09:46 PM
the overexplainer

So why does my 04 let me program the key fob to save my settings for the headlights off? It's in seconds like the interior light dimmer.
I believe that's only if you were to leave your headlights on after shutting the car off. Like BMW's "walk me home" lights. It will time out and turn off after a specified time.

Auto is for light/dark automatic activation.

04 ABP/Quartz 6MT non-Navi here!
Our interior colors are different, but i love our exterior color!
Old 02-26-2011, 09:52 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by ez12a
It will time out and turn off after a specified time.

Auto is for light/dark automatic activation.
Ahhh... that makes sense, I thought if it auto turned off, it auto turned on and that's what was stumping me, why they dont turn on. I understand now. Thanks dude!!
Old 03-02-2011, 02:09 PM
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Is this where the sunglasses holder in the side pocket should be
(manual mentions it), but are not in my used 2004 tl?
Have the side pockets fold outward, you will see two like holes/notches up more towards the front of the car in the pocket, looks like two letter T's and you can put the notches from the coin holder in there and down.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:55 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not sure if you consider this a feature

I had my car battery jumped. When I turned the ignition the alarm started sounding. I kind of panic because I've had the battery jumped before and this never happened. I started hitting buttons on the key fob and turning the key in the ignition. The tow truck driver asked for the keys and placed them in the door lock and turned the alarm off.

Needless to say I felt like a fool.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:06 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
When in Bluetooth on the phone through the car speakers you can press the call button and say transfer and it will transfer from the car to your phone and vise versa. I like this when on a call and needing to leave car to insure call is not lost and when getting in car on a call.

Also can call numbers in navigation through Bluetooth when hooked up I believe.

I know it's been mentioned but do like the sliding armrest adjustment. Also like holding unlock button down on remote and all windows and sunroof open.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:48 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you swing the visor to the side window you can extend it back to cover further back on the window.
Old 04-29-2011, 11:04 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
Since we've gotten a lot of noobs in this section I thought I'd revive this thread. Tons of great info (Easter eggs). The last page here pretty much sums up everything posted up to this point. Enjoy!!
Old 04-29-2011, 03:18 PM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by NetGnome

If you swing the visor to the side window you can extend it back to cover further back on the window.
I go positively nuts when I drive a car that does not have this feature (though I never extend the visor towards the rearview, only back along the side). Ms1995hoo's RSX is, obviously, a two-door car, and its visors don't do this. Drives me crazy because with the way I have the seat adjusted when I drive her car the sun invariably comes through beyond the end of the visor when I swing it to the side window.
Old 04-29-2011, 06:37 PM
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 170 Posts
Ha! I was thinking about this thread today and how it should be bumped for all the new owners. Thanks, LoveMyTLS!
Old 05-22-2011, 08:46 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Good thread.
Old 09-29-2011, 10:06 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
On my 07 tl base model, when I start my car, all I need to do is turn my key to start then quick release and it automaticly starts by itself.. Dont know if all models are like this or not but definitely worth a try, if you dont already know of course..
Old 09-29-2011, 10:53 AM
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
my 08-s does this
Old 09-29-2011, 05:10 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
I'm going to bump this thread. It's a must read for anyone new to the TL.
Old 11-30-2011, 05:56 PM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
I just realized that the back side of my paddle shifter has a sort of finger grip on the back side of my upshift paddle, but not on the downshift paddle. Why wouldn't they just put it on both?
Old 11-30-2011, 06:11 PM
the overexplainer

Originally Posted by P_R_N_D
I just realized that the back side of my paddle shifter has a sort of finger grip on the back side of my upshift paddle, but not on the downshift paddle. Why wouldn't they just put it on both?
prob so you can differentiate the paddles just by feel. This is helpful since the paddles are attached to the steering wheel and not the column and therefore rotate with the wheel.
Old 11-30-2011, 06:20 PM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
yeah.... they would switch positions if you were turning..
I hadn't thought of that.
maybe you're onto something...
Old 12-01-2011, 09:05 AM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I have and '08 Base/Nav and found a "feature" that startled me a little at first. If you use the window lock button, it disables the lighting of the "locked" window controls.

I had it shut off as my son and a friend were goofing around with the rear windows. That night I went back out and noticed that the window switches weren't lighting up ... Damn! Already going to have to replace interior bulbs, I thought. Turns out, once I remembered I had locked the windows and unlocked them, they lit back up.

A small feature, but a nice detail.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:25 PM
Instructor

Admittedly, I skipped around a bit, but does anyone have a use for the small triangular storage area fore of the fold down pocket on the front doors?
Old 01-26-2012, 08:58 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
Originally Posted by gilla_monster
Admittedly, I skipped around a bit, but does anyone have a use for the small triangular storage area fore of the fold down pocket on the front doors?
Gum holder.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:17 AM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by gilla_monster
I use mine for pennies and other coins that won't go into the coin holder, like car wash tokens and such.
Old 01-28-2012, 02:37 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by Blooze
I use mine for pennies and other coins that won't go into the coin holder, like car wash tokens and such.
Stuff in that side pocket is a huge source of rattling for me. I had a piece of memory foam that I stuffed in there to keep things from rattling around.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:56 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
the large screw that holds spare tire in place can be flipped to hold regular size tire

Already partially mentioned, but in summary: Key Fobs 1& 2 will recall Memory settings 1 or 2 not just for driver's seat, mirrors and A/C setting, but also stereo setting as well (bass, treble etc)
Old 04-27-2012, 04:11 PM
4th Gear

TL Type S Easter Eggs

So after two years of having my 2007 TL type S I found myself loving my car but being hating two things about it. First, that my trunk had never worked and secondly that I didn't have a auxiliary jack or bluetooth audio. Today I found out by accident that all I had to do to fix my trunk problem was to flip a switch in my glove box and I've actually had a auxiliary jack hidden under my arm rest this whole damn time. So besides my sub woofer problem (I plan on replacing it with a ID8 V3 D2 - Image Dynamics 8" this summer) and the fact that thieves seem to love the rims on my car, it's pretty much perfect. Now what I'm trying to figure out is if there's more about my car that I still don't know. I just got my NAV DVD so I'm still messing around with that. Also anyone know how to completely turn off my traction control? It never seems to be completely off so it's pretty shit when I try to race off a red light.
Old 04-27-2012, 05:51 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by Zmod10
So after two years of having my 2007 TL type S I found myself loving my car but being hating two things about it. First, that my trunk had never worked and secondly that I didn't have a auxiliary jack or bluetooth audio. Today I found out by accident that all I had to do to fix my trunk problem was to flip a switch in my glove box and I've actually had a auxiliary jack hidden under my arm rest this whole damn time. So besides my sub woofer problem (I plan on replacing it with a ID8 V3 D2 - Image Dynamics 8" this summer) and the fact that thieves seem to love the rims on my car, it's pretty much perfect. Now what I'm trying to figure out is if there's more about my car that I still don't know. I just got my NAV DVD so I'm still messing around with that. Also anyone know how to completely turn off my traction control? It never seems to be completely off so it's pretty shit when I try to race off a red light.
The Type S might be different (don't think so though) but when I turn VSA off, it's completely off. I can spin the tires as much as I like and I've had it very sideways without VSA kicking in. The only thing that remains is the ABS. What is it doing that makes you think it's not completely off.
Old 04-27-2012, 07:38 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,159 Likes on 909 Posts
try this thread for some great things that the TL has...some pretty cool items in there (post 1 is the summary)

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=540216
Old 04-27-2012, 10:36 PM
Codename Duchess

Received 80 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by I hate cars
The Type S might be different (don't think so though) but when I turn VSA off, it's completely off. I can spin the tires as much as I like and I've had it very sideways without VSA kicking in. The only thing that remains is the ABS. What is it doing that makes you think it's not completely off.
How'd you get a front wheel drive car sideways? 2nd part of question, why?
Old 04-28-2012, 04:25 AM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
when you push the window lock button...the lights for the other window buttons turns off! i just found that out today...lol
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (04-28-2012)
Old 05-03-2012, 11:27 AM
10th Gear

heres a good one that i found out really useful for iphone owners or phones with a similar size....

its the tape deck,if you dont use anymore and found obsolete can be used to insert your phone as a holder. its works best it you have a bumper case on your phone for a nice snug fit. ofcourse it doesnt go in all the way but holds nicely.

ill post a picture today.

side note...dont use your phone and drive at the same time.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:00 AM
10th Gear

Old 05-04-2012, 11:15 AM
Race Director

Received 1,544 Likes on 1,197 Posts
ROFL. Nice.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:28 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
That would drive me crazy. It looks too sloppy. Handy, though.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:04 AM
Senior Moderator

Bump!! Did you know you had these features!?
Old 07-09-2012, 06:41 AM
Senior Moderator

Bump for noobs........

Quick Reply: Have you found any New Features?? (Summary in Post #1) 3G Garage #L-001