Sponsored by:

Hail and the TL...

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 03:25 PM
2014 RDX Tech AWD

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking Hail and the TL...

Just thought I'd share this...

Last week immediately after I got home from work a severe thunderstorm came through and spit out marble size hail. My very first concern was that my car, which is parked in the driveway and not the garage, is going to be pelted by the hail - so I anticipated going out afterwards and finding a million little dents and with great amazement....there weren't any. Not one!!

I know some folks complain about the paint on the TL, but I am still applauding my paint job because I know from other occassions if it would have been my previous Accord or Civic out there... I would have had dents. For some reason both of those cars dented with the slightest touch, it seemed.

Anyone experience hail or any other weather related damage to your TL?

-Kelly
Old 05-31-2006, 03:49 PM
Look Mean, Play Nice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Actually, I am also impressed in that regard. I got stuck in a hail storm on the highway and there was really no way to pull over so I just had to drive through it. Surprisingly no noticeable damage whatsoever. Maybe the top paint is better?
Old 05-31-2006, 05:18 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Damage to the paint isn't a "hail" concern for me,,, dents in the sheet metal is

Two words.... Hail sucks...
Old 05-31-2006, 05:34 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Yep...suffered hail damage a few weeks ago (several small dents....hood...one small slight one on roof...and right over the driver door on that little strip as well as the black strip there. It can happen, trust me. Dont leave it out thinking - no big deal.....it WILL dent. Survived a few storms...but the last one did it.
Old 05-31-2006, 06:19 PM
Dr. Feelgood

Thank god my baby was garaged 2 weeks ago. We had a mini hail storm here in MA as well.
Old 05-31-2006, 08:01 PM
Indian Acura Driver

That's a good thing to hear. I went to put my Sister's TL in her garage, however low and behold i didn't have her TL keys i was so scared...but that's good that there's a chance there may not be any problems. Phew! Hopefully there is none atleast! I'm going to feel so bad otherwise
Old 05-31-2006, 08:01 PM
Currently at 50,546 miles

Wow... my Accord was hit with $5k of damage in Texas in 2002 - I was out of town, and got to come back to that...
Old 06-01-2006, 02:58 PM
2014 RDX Tech AWD

Originally Posted by MichaelBenz
Yep...suffered hail damage a few weeks ago (several small dents....hood...one small slight one on roof...and right over the driver door on that little strip as well as the black strip there. It can happen, trust me. Dont leave it out thinking - no big deal.....it WILL dent. Survived a few storms...but the last one did it.
Good point...

We're supposed to have severe storms again this evening right through Saturday morning and I've come up with a master plan; or a "plan" at least. LOL.

Being pessimistic about the hail, I plan on taking an old comforter or two and throwing them over the car; my b/fs father suggested this and seems to think that it is a good temporary fix in a pinch, rather than taking the risk of having mini-dents.
Old 06-01-2006, 03:04 PM
2014 RDX Tech AWD

Forgot to ask...
How much did it end up costing you for the repairs? Were they able to do the paintless dent removal or something else?

Thankfully I haven't had any repairs (KNOCK ON WOOD!) with the TL, but I know from my previous 2002 Civic that even for the smallest imperfection a repair costs a lot. It cost me $800 to have the front bumper repaired and painted; and the gauge wasn't even that big from where the idiot reversed back into me. So by all means, I want to protect the TL!!!
Old 06-01-2006, 03:08 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Originally Posted by KJW73
Good point...

We're supposed to have severe storms again this evening right through Saturday morning and I've come up with a master plan; or a "plan" at least. LOL.

Being pessimistic about the hail, I plan on taking an old comforter or two and throwing them over the car; my b/fs father suggested this and seems to think that it is a good temporary fix in a pinch, rather than taking the risk of having mini-dents.
Free box if cookies for your Dad with a side of cheese wiz for later! :killer: Thats a heck of an idea in a pinch! And I bet it would work too!!
Old 06-01-2006, 03:12 PM
2014 RDX Tech AWD

Free box if cookies for your Dad with a side of cheese wiz for later! :killer: Thats a heck of an idea in a pinch! And I bet it would work too!!
He's a crafty fella for sure!

...even the Martha Stewart of men maybe?

Apparently it must work because he has used this method before; or it at the very least it would minimize the damage. We'll see...if I use it, I'll keep you posted.
Old 06-01-2006, 03:14 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Forgot to ask...
How much did it end up costing you for the repairs? Were they able to do the paintless dent removal or something else?

Thankfully I haven't had any repairs (KNOCK ON WOOD!) with the TL, but I know from my previous 2002 Civic that even for the smallest imperfection a repair costs a lot. It cost me $800 to have the front bumper repaired and painted; and the gauge wasn't even that big from where the idiot reversed back into me. So by all means, I want to protect the TL!!!
Right now...I havent messed with it yet. Just happened a few weeks ago and is very hard to notice at all....but I would expect the estimates wont be cheap due to the fact it is multi-panels and one is the roof. I have a charity event that I have to attend with the car....so I have put it off for a bit. The graphics that are on the car hide the hood dings right now....so after the event when they come off...I am sure it will be more pressing! I do know that the insurance co writes all the estimates for paintless dent repair though on these matters...unless it is really bad or cant be accomplished due to location. My father got like $1800 last hail storm though....damage to car. Pocketed the cash.
Old 06-01-2006, 10:30 PM
Instructor

I have had 4 honda/acuras take on hail. Usually you are ok with anything less than quarter sized. A few weeks ago my SI took on quarter sized right next to a WRX and not a single dent. The WRX had $3200 in damage. I had an 87 Integra that took on softball sized and most of the dents came out with dry ice and a hot summer day.
Old 06-01-2006, 10:32 PM
acura-cl.com OG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good point...

it is a good idea
Old 06-01-2006, 11:34 PM
Intermediate

Red face TL Hail Damage - Hell Yes!!

Just got my '04 WDP TL back from hail repair last week (paintless)...got hail damages about a month and a half ago in Austin, TX with golf ball size hail. It was painful to watch my car getting pound with the hails when I was at work starring from inside .

Got one big dent on the hood near the front, one big dent on rear driver side door, one on the roof, one of the driver side door rail and one on the trunk. One shop quoted me $250 and the other quoted me $825. The second shop said it costs more to fix the hood and the trunk as they are made from Aluminum?? I didn't know about that...were they right?

Anyway, I went with the $250 repair and it turned out great...can't tell they were ever there! But the fact is our beloved TL is indeed vulnerable to hails

Sam