Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Had the car for 6 months and still blown away by how fast it is...other issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 11:46 PM
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts
Had the car for 6 months and still blown away by how fast it is...other issues

Hey guys...I drive an '06 Black on black TL 6spd; I've had it about 6 months. I love the car, with the only complaints being a ridiculously weak A/C fan, no auto headlights (WTF???), and I HATE THE BRIDGESTONE SUMMER TIRES...my car still doesn't ride smooth, and it drives me crazy! It handles like crazy but at 60 MPH it shudders....taken it the dealer about 20 times and they say it's the tires...so we'll see when I replace them with Michelins.

Anyway, I still am blown away by how fast this car is. Really where the car is the fastest is top end. Don't get me wrong it's a sub 6 second car to 60, but that 3rd gear is wicked, it ends at about 95-100, shift to 4th and then the next time you look down you're at 120 like that! This car hauls AS$!

People try to race me ALL THE TIME (I think it's the black on black with the 15% tint), and the only race I've lost was to an EVO (that totally got a head start). I always beat whomever it is (except that EVO), but where I really start to walk away is after about 70 MPH. The engine is so smooth that you're way up to very illegal speeds before you realize it.

I love the car; I'm a bit underwhelmed by the stereo...it sounds great, but the DVD-A's are very hard to find and expensive, and I'd rather all of the money went to making it a kickas$ 500+ watt system, but it's okay. Better than average I guess.

I really hope that new tires make the ride more smooth, because that drives me crazy, but that's about it.

The gas mileage could be better, and I wish that it had a larger tank, but I suppose it's because it's so easy to drive hard that's my fault.

But this is a great car, bulletproof feeling, and I know that it will last me FOREVER! I would highly recommend this car to anyone.

I definitely got the best looking version. The new ones are hideous, but they drive quite nice.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:57 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think the gas mileage would be a lot better if you didn't have that lead foot of yours and racing against other vehicles. The way you gave a detailed description of the 6pd 3gen makes me want to drive one really badly!
Old 03-24-2010, 12:00 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome abord!
Old 03-24-2010, 01:20 AM
Advanced

When you say it shudders do you mean that it vibrates? If so, get a balance, preferably on a hunter roadforce machine. Should help a little.
Old 03-24-2010, 01:22 AM
Advanced

Well, I do agree with what you said about how fast this car gets in 3rd and 4th gear. My friend has an Infiniti M45 and I have been in a race with him a couple of times. When racing from 0-60 or 40-80, M45 gets ahead easily by 2 or 3 cars distance. However, when doing 80-120+, somehow my TL is not only able to keep-up, but it slightly gets faster when nearing the end of 4th gear.
Old 03-24-2010, 02:30 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by geniusnouman
Well, I do agree with what you said about how fast this car gets in 3rd and 4th gear. My friend has an Infiniti M45 and I have been in a race with him a couple of times. When racing from 0-60 or 40-80, M45 gets ahead easily by 2 or 3 cars distance. However, when doing 80-120+, somehow my TL is not only able to keep-up, but it slightly gets faster when nearing the end of 4th gear.

Yeah the M45 is about a 5.4-5.6 second 0-60, so yeah, that sounds about right. I don't know about quarter mile times, but the TL manual has roughly a 100MPH trap speed.

It's like when you nail it on the freeway, you're surprised how fast you get to 100, and then you hit 120 the next time you look down and you're REALLY surprised like "WHOA!"

It's all in the gears...even 5th gear has a great pull, once you shift to it at 120. That's about how fast I've gone in it. I definitely believe the claim that this car does 150.

I hear lots of stuff about tires...as said, I'm having issues with my tires, but I do notice that my car is very, very quiet at freeway speed. Road noise is notably absent.

Last edited by MrX123; 03-24-2010 at 02:32 AM.
Old 03-24-2010, 03:02 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
get some real tires -not the ones you are thinking

Do research on tirerack.com for other TL owners choices and comments, then pay a visit to a few tire stores- example Americas Tire- and ask for their opinion
They get feedback from customers and they get to examine all sorts of old tires coming off... the wear pattern plus lifespan/miles

Ive been on general exclaim uhp for 25k and the fronts are gone, but they were fun while they lasted,, and value for low price
Old 03-24-2010, 05:50 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Not trying to hate but you say the car is fast, I beg to differ. I think the TL has good acceleration but its not in my bracket of fast. Maybe this is the quickest car you have owned and thats why, then again maybe I'm just used to a modded STI.

I still dont understand why people race around their TL. I bought mine so I could have a relaxed comfortable ride and maintain decent gas mileage.

You wish you had a bigger tank then 18 gal? I thought that was huge. I've been used to 12 gal vehicles, lol.

I do agree on the dvd-a. I've have yet to hear one play in the car but I'm not gonna be shelling out 18-20 bucks a pop for one audio dvd. I'll just stick with xm radio.

Glad to hear your loving your ride, I am too!
Old 03-24-2010, 08:01 AM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
dont put the oem michilens on, they are horrible...and forget about dvd-a...it may as well not even exist...
Old 03-24-2010, 08:38 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Boostedsti
I still dont understand why people race around their TL. I bought mine so I could have a relaxed comfortable ride and maintain decent gas mileage.
So you bought yours to relax and that means that's what everyone else should be doing?
Old 03-24-2010, 08:42 AM
07 TL-S

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
where do u live? you have the bridgestone summer tires? are they potenza re760s? because that's what i have and those are some of the best tires you could buy, especially if you live down here. most TLs come with those terrible michelin pilots. believe me, those pilots are some of the worst tires ive had.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:49 AM
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 170 Posts
DVD-A is one of my favorite features of the TL, but it wasn't always this way.

I played the Acura demo disk that came in the Owners Manual packet and it was impressive---but not impressive enough for me to run out and buy DVD-As to replace all of my music.

Then I heard about Adobeman's DVD-A Authoring software (Check the 3G Audio and Electronics FAQ for links) and it completely changed my opinion of DVD-A. Using Adobeman's software, I can now create my own disks from either original CDs or MP3 files which I can play in my car. I can even use dual layer DVDs to pack 8+GB of music onto a single disk. You can organize the music into "Groups" on the disk and switch between groups by pressing SCAN and REPEAT simultaneously.

The original DVD-A Author Tool does not create 5.1 audio, but Adobeman has also released his "Adobinizer" tool to create simulated 5.1 recordings from your 2 channel sources. While I have yet to delve into this tool to see what it can really do, I use the DVD-A Author Tool nearly every week to create new music DVD-As to fill up my changer and I love it! (hint: use DVD-RWs)

The only drawback is the head unit does not display any track info from any DVD-As (or CDs for that matter) which sucks, but is a limitation of the hardware itself.

Seriously, guys and gals. If you think DVD-A is just a gimmick, try Adobeman's tools and post back your results. I would be interested to hear what everyone thinks.

As for the tires, be glad you don't have the Perelli P-Zero Neros. I liked them at first---they were a little noisy, but had good grip. After putting 25K on them, they are horrible. They literally scream at you on the highway and when you slow down below 30mph, there is a noise that sounds like you have a bearing going bad. Dealer has looked at it twice now and say the bearings are fine. I think I'll be looking into the General Exclaims. Thanks 01tl4tl!
Old 03-24-2010, 08:58 AM
Pro

seems like you have never drive a "fast" car before?

TL is not fast.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:00 AM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Jared234
So you bought yours to relax and that means that's what everyone else should be doing?
i think he is just saying the tl is not a sports car, race car or anything to do with being racy...its a luxury sedan that leans towards being sporty...
Old 03-24-2010, 09:07 AM
#ForcedInductionFamily

Glad you're enjoying the car, try not to get a speeding ticket going that fast on public roads all the time!

FWIW, my Type-S is one of the slowest cars I've ever owned :P
Old 03-24-2010, 09:07 AM
Instructor

'Fast' is a relative term.

I could say you have never driven a fast car either because you have never driven a Bugatti

Just because Acura didn't mean this to be a sports car doesn't mean people around here aren't turning them into just that
Old 03-24-2010, 09:19 AM
Veni, vidi, vici

I love the TL, but it's not THAT fast. but for $20K ~30K it's agood deal compared to other cars with similar pricing. but I think when you think of other vehicles in it's class, I think it's one of the slowest. M5 is a MONSTER.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:20 AM
#ForcedInductionFamily

'Fast' is a relative term.

I could say you have never driven a fast car either because you have never driven a Bugatti

Just because Acura didn't mean this to be a sports car doesn't mean people around here aren't turning them into just that
Or maybe you guys just live in areas with slow cars
Old 03-24-2010, 09:21 AM
#ForcedInductionFamily

Originally Posted by Bayam0n
I love the TL, but it's not THAT fast. but for $20K ~30K it's agood deal compared to other cars with similar pricing. but I think when you think of other vehicles in it's class, I think it's one of the slowest. M5 is a MONSTER.
Wait what? M5 is definitely not in the same class at a TL.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:26 AM
Instructor

This conversation is ridiculous, check the price on a new M5.
Should be around 70-80K...
Old 03-24-2010, 09:41 AM
Pro

6MT TL is pretty quick and def fun to drive. I've driven quite a few sports cars and am pleased with its performance. Some of you guys posting on here stating that its not that fast or implying its slow etc must own an auto which in my 2 cents is plain boring. I can see why ppl saying the autos are meant for cruising etc.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:24 AM
Instructor

No I dont think that:

I even said in my original post, maybe its because I'm used to driving a modded STI as a daily driver so in comparison, no the TL is not fast.

Every car with enough money can be turned into a monster, so don't think I was saying the TL isnt worthy of being raced around in. I just would never buy a TL to race around town or race people in. To me, thats what sports cars are for.

If anyone wants to race the TL around, more power to them. Its your car do what u want, i'm in no position to be judgemental. I just don't think the TL is fast but that will vary from person to person as usual.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:27 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
to me: fast is on the racetrack- 3 miles of flat out full throttle max braking max tire adhesion in the turns, lap after lap for 30 minutes at a time--debrief, ck wheel lugs and its time for next session to work on finer points each time.
Thats a track day- and 200-300 bucks for that much fun with a pro race driver as your coach--in the passenger seat-- and no tickets!! priceless

Learn to handle the speed in relative safety, and the only cops there are volunteer driver instructors! Great fun when they wave you past at 100 on the straight.

Be sure to ask for a `hot lap` with an instructor after lunch- in their car, hehehehehe
You think your car is modded ptttttttttt
Old 03-24-2010, 11:35 AM
Instructor

I agree, I go to Watkins glen in NY. Awesome place to run your car and get some XP on a closed circuit with an instructor.
Old 03-24-2010, 01:11 PM
Veni, vidi, vici

i thought 5 series and tl were the same class? oh well, m5 still rocks.
Old 03-24-2010, 01:24 PM
Instructor

i thought 5 series and tl were the same class? oh well, m5 still rocks.

1) The M5 is in the M class not the 5 series class
2) The 5 series start at 50-60K
Old 03-24-2010, 01:28 PM
Drifting

Jeez, did this thread ever take an unexpected turn.
Old 03-24-2010, 01:29 PM
Got your mom in

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by kenbangbang
I think the gas mileage would be a lot better if you didn't have that lead foot of yours and racing against other vehicles. The way you gave a detailed description of the 6pd 3gen makes me want to drive one really badly!
Old 03-24-2010, 01:33 PM
Pro

Thanks for all the replies everyone.

Okay you all who say that the TL is not fast must drive autos, and I would agree with that. 7 seconds to 60 is quick but not fast. 5.6-5.8 and a 100 MPH trap speed is fast, I don't care who you are. It may not be Sti and Evo and M5 fast, but it's fast. I beat everything that tries to mess with me, the last race was with an older Camaro Z28 SS (305 HP small block), and I walked him all the way too 100....in my Acura sedan. You all must have never driven the manual and are basing your opinions on autos.

I hear that the difference between auto and manual is like night and day, and I certainly believe it. I couldn't see an auto getting up to 100+ as quick as my car does.

BTW, the Brembo brakes are fantastic as well; pedal feel is excellent, and they really inspire confidence. Whenever I'm smoking someone I always just slam them once it's over and am back down to legal speeds very quickly.

Hehe I love this car.
Old 03-24-2010, 01:40 PM
Pro

And BTW, I didn't buy my car to "race around in." It's not my fault that at almost every light people try and race me. If that was what I wanted, I would have bought and Evo or Sti for much less. I saw the black on black beauty sitting there, noticed it was a 6spd, and immediately snatched that sh!t up.
Old 03-24-2010, 01:43 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
I consider the TL peppy, maybe faster than the average car but that's it. I've raced mine just screwing around with friends but the thought of actually "racing" a TL for real makes me laugh.

If you've never been beat in the TL there are some slow cars in your area. It's a mid-low 14s@ 99mph (good day, good driver) car, that's it. I'm not trying to be rude but anyone that thinks the TL is fast and goes around trying to race people has never been in a fast car.

With that said, I have all the mods in place to take it to Willow Springs for fun but you'll notice the engine is stock. I'm not going to spend $1,500 to gain 15hp on a FWD platform. As far as modern cars go, I would only mod a large V8 or any FI platform. I've been spoiled with the bang for the buck of my turbo car over the last 16 years.
Old 03-24-2010, 01:52 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ajt123
Thanks for all the replies everyone.

Okay you all who say that the TL is not fast must drive autos, and I would agree with that. 7 seconds to 60 is quick but not fast. 5.6-5.8 and a 100 MPH trap speed is fast, I don't care who you are. It may not be Sti and Evo and M5 fast, but it's fast. I beat everything that tries to mess with me, the last race was with an older Camaro Z28 SS (305 HP small block), and I walked him all the way too 100....in my Acura sedan. You all must have never driven the manual and are basing your opinions on autos.

I hear that the difference between auto and manual is like night and day, and I certainly believe it. I couldn't see an auto getting up to 100+ as quick as my car does.

BTW, the Brembo brakes are fantastic as well; pedal feel is excellent, and they really inspire confidence. Whenever I'm smoking someone I always just slam them once it's over and am back down to legal speeds very quickly.

Hehe I love this car.
You did not beat an LS1 car period. There was no Z28 SS. Most put down 300+ at the wheels stock and trap from 103-110mph auto or manual. I drove my friend's manual SS bone stock including tires to a 13.4@106mph.

Either the driver REALLY sucked or he was not racing. It doesn't take rocket science to know who would win between two cars with similar weight and one with a 65+hp defecit.

If you beat a V8 powered F-body it was maybe and that's a big maybe LT1 car or more than likely a 305 L98.

Oh, btw, the stock 5at brakes will stop the car just as quick as the Brembos.
Old 03-24-2010, 02:01 PM
Pro

Jesus Christ people. Let me post how I enjoy my car without getting flamed, is that possible?
Old 03-24-2010, 02:03 PM
07 TL-S

i see no flames, only discussion
Old 03-24-2010, 02:06 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
OP, I'm glad to hear you enjoy your car.
Old 03-24-2010, 02:08 PM
Instructor

LOL, welcome to AZ.
See this post:
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-photograph-gallery-96/some-tinting-experiments-763179/
Old 03-24-2010, 02:11 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ajt123
Jesus Christ people. Let me post how I enjoy my car without getting flamed, is that possible?
I love my TL, it's probably the nicest all around car I've owned and I still stare at it every time I walk away from it. But I have no delusions as to what it's capable of performance wise.
Old 03-24-2010, 02:17 PM
07 TL-S

LOL, welcome to AZ.
See this post:
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=763179
wow, those replies are hilarious but sadly spot on.
ROFL
Old 03-25-2010, 10:55 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dwb993
Jeez, did this thread ever take an unexpected turn.
You're kidding right?
Unexpected???????
Old 03-25-2010, 11:23 AM
Drifting

I figured it would be a DVD-A and tire discussion!

Quick Reply: Had the car for 6 months and still blown away by how fast it is...other issues