Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This guy must really love his G35.

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2005, 08:38 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This guy must really love his G35.

This was in the Atlanta paper this morning.

Driver gets shot at during carjacking attempt

By LATEEF MUNGIN
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 03/17/05
Lilburn police were searching for a masked gunman who shot at a man during an unsuccessful carjacking Wednesday morning.

The victim, identified as Steven Sims of Lawrenceville, was driving a silver 2004 Infiniti G35 on Lawrenceville Highway near Beaver Ruin Road about 5:45 a.m. when he was approached by the gunman, police said.

The gunman jumped out of a dark-colored Ford Aerostar van that was driven by a possible accomplice, said Lilburn police spokesman Tyler Thomas. The suspect was carrying a pistol and ordered the victim out of his car, Thomas said.

Sims "panicked" and hit the gas. The suspect then fired one shot into the car, Thomas said. Sims was able to get away unharmed. He drove directly to his job and then contacted police, according to a police report.

"We were able to recover fragments of the bullet from the passenger door of the car," Thomas said. "We believe that the suspect shot from the driver side and missed the victim."

The victim could provide police only with a sketchy description of the gunman, describing him as a black or Hispanic male.

Lilburn police are asking that anyone who witnessed this incident or saw suspicious activity at or near the crime scene contact the department at 770-921-2211.
Old 03-17-2005, 08:41 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Given recent events in Atlanta, this guy's response was understandable.

You may want to consider posting this in the "Ramblings" forum. Thanks.

https://acurazine.com/forums/ramblings-12/
Old 03-17-2005, 08:43 AM
I'm Baaack!

Another reason to increase the torque in the TL .... Better get-a-ways..

Old 03-17-2005, 11:42 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Better reason to install the side flame-throwers. Sick of these crime committing good-for-nothing no-job pieces of crap going around accosting everyone
Old 03-17-2005, 12:04 PM
Instructor

he must also love his job! Went straight to work after being shot at? He's a lot more dedicated than I would be, that's for sure.

I would have at least stopped by home to change my shorts!
Old 03-17-2005, 05:25 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's a good thing the gunman didn't jump out of a dark-colored TL !!!
Old 03-17-2005, 05:41 PM
aw1
Pro

i think i wouldve done the same as this guy except going straight to the police station. the gunmen mightve shot you anyways if you gave him the car because you saw his face.
Old 03-17-2005, 06:00 PM
Advanced

Smile

Originally Posted by TerminaderTL
It's a good thing the gunman didn't jump out of a dark-colored TL !!!
If he had a dark colored TL -- why would he want a silver G35 . . .
Old 03-17-2005, 07:00 PM
is learning to moonwalk i

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by aw1
i think i wouldve done the same as this guy except going straight to the police station. the gunmen mightve shot you anyways if you gave him the car because you saw his face.
The gunman might have still fired, but not because he could be identified
Originally Posted by ramzfan
Lilburn police were searching for a masked gunman who shot at a man during an unsuccessful carjacking Wednesday morning.
I would have probably hit the gas and peed my pants simultaniously.
Old 03-17-2005, 07:41 PM
2004 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi/RSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by moeronn
I would have probably hit the gas and peed my pants simultaniously.
Yet another downside to perforated leather seats.
Old 03-17-2005, 07:42 PM
is still kickin!

This was in the Atlanta paper this morning.

Driver gets shot at during carjacking attempt

By LATEEF MUNGIN
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 03/17/05

The victim, identified as Steven Sims of Lawrenceville, was driving a silver 2004 Infiniti G35 on Lawrenceville Highway near Beaver Ruin Road about 5:45 a.m. when he was approached by the gunman, police said.

The gunman jumped out of a dark-colored Ford Aerostar van that was driven by a possible accomplice, said Lilburn police spokesman Tyler Thomas. The suspect was carrying a pistol and ordered the victim out of his car, Thomas said.

Sims "panicked" and hit the gas. The suspect then fired one shot into the car, Thomas said. Sims was able to get away unharmed. He drove directly to his job and then contacted police, according to a police report.

"We were able to recover fragments of the bullet from the passenger door of the car," Thomas said. "We believe that the suspect shot from the driver side and missed the victim."

The victim could provide police only with a sketchy description of the gunman, describing him as a black or Hispanic male.

Lilburn police are asking that anyone who witnessed this incident or saw suspicious activity at or near the crime scene contact the department at 770-921-2211.

any normal person would do that, if not then they're a dumbass!
Old 03-18-2005, 12:06 PM
aw1
Pro

the only time i would give up my car or anything else they wanted, ie. money, credit cards, etc. is if i'm boxed in and have no where to run. they can take anything they want, even my clothes but spear me my life. i can always buy a new one.
Old 03-18-2005, 02:19 PM
Suzuka Master

Do you need a carriers licence to keep a "peice" in the glove compartment? I assume it has a lock.
Old 03-18-2005, 02:22 PM
aw1
Pro

Originally Posted by aw1
the only time i would give up my car or anything else they wanted, ie. money, credit cards, etc. is if i'm boxed in and have no where to run. they can take anything they want, even my clothes but spear me my life. i can always buy a new one.

correction, i can always buy a new car...
Old 03-18-2005, 03:47 PM
2020 RDX A-Spec

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
that should help narrow down the search...
Old 03-18-2005, 04:58 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
To crazymjb;

You can carry a handgun in the open or in your glove box in Georgia without a CCW (concealed carry permit). See Georgia Code 16-11-126 for further information.

Also, I would most highly advise NOT carrying a defensive handgun in a glovebox or console enclosure if your reason for carrying the weapon is defensive at the time of carry. This takes too long to bring the weapon to battery. Better to have it close at hand and right next to you where you can get to it as quickly as possible. I carry mine in the forward cupholder or on top of the little sliding "door" that covers the two cupholders. That way it's right there should I ever need it.

As for giving up your property during a robbery, that's a personal call. But do keep in mind that in most of the states, as soon as your assailant presents a weapon, you can open fire immediately. No warnings (this would be really dumb). No questions. No nothing.. just deliberate fire. Again, this is a personal thing.
Old 03-18-2005, 05:27 PM
Registered Member

I would like to add that even though you have the right to open fire immediately when all three conditions are met (proximity, intent, ability), whether or not one choses to do this is an entirely different thing. Would you open fire immediately? Most people would not. Would I? Hell, I don't know.. I hope I never have to find out.

crazymjb lives in Massachusetts. Years ago, while in college, I did a paper on firearms in the home. My research turned up six states in which you had a "duty to retreat" and Massachusetts was one of them. In fact, in Massachusetts, you even had to leave your own home, if there is a way out, before you could use deadly force. Really dumb. You have to wonder why the good people of Massachusetts allowed their representatives to come up with this kind of nonsense, but then again, they also keep voting Ted Kennedy back in the senate.

Lastly, should you decide to open hostilities, keep in mind it ain't nothing like the movies. People don't get thrown against a wall when struck with a round from a handgun, a rifle, or even a 12-gauge shotgun. In fact, you don't know what someone will do when you shoot them. But you have to assume they will return fire and there is a reasonable chance you'll take a bullet. Not like in the movies. And there is no such thing as "shoot to kill" or "shoot to wound". Again, this is only in the movies (and TV). You shoot to stop. Whether or not your assailant dies is of no importance at that moment. And you never "shoot to wound" intentionally. This could really be your downfall in court. "Oh, you really didn't believe you had enough reason to fire, so you just wanted to try to hurt him". Yep, this will kill you in court.

Later.
Old 03-18-2005, 05:58 PM
Suzuka Master

I'm 15, so this isnt really an imminent concern, but I think its good to know. As of now I'm joining the Marines and from what I hear soldiers and ex-soldiers usually feel more comfortable with a firearm and purchase one after leaving the service. I can't stand MA laws, no fireworks, etc. Everything is prohibited. If my car was being robbed I would do whatever would give me a better chance of surviving(along with the passengers....depending who they were). If I were alone I would probably run, unless they had AK or some other high powered rifle. Insurence would cover the GSW's to the TL, right?
Old 03-18-2005, 06:24 PM
Dr. Feelgood

Good news for us, the Tl is made of stronger steel and ACE structuer. The bullets will bounce right off
Old 03-19-2005, 01:28 AM
Suzuka Master

Maybe coming out of a .22, but even that is questionable. I am pretty much guarenteeing that if they have any assault weapon i.e. 5.65 mm or 7.62mm your car is done. Not sure if a 9mm could get all the way through, but i think it would. A .45 and Desert Eagle .50AE would have no problem either. This is a seperate question: Anyone own an armored TL?
Old 03-19-2005, 10:20 AM
Registered Member

To All;

You have a greater chance of being attacked by a shark out of water than being attacked by an assailant with an "assault weapon". What you have been told for the last 15+ years is a lie. Criminals dont' use assault weapons because they are hard to come by and you have to jump through hoops to own one. But you can own an assault weapon.. after about a 6 month wait, $200 transfer fee, and a lot of paper work to the ATF.

What the press and the general public calls "assault weapons (rifles)" are really just semi-automatic weapons.. no different than any other semi-auto. Please do let them confuse you or mislead you. There is a major difference.

Now as far as protection, I would advise this. If you are in imminent danger of serious harm or death and you cannot escape in your car, run into your assailant. Your first reaction should be to escape if you can because while you very well may have the right to use deadly force, remember, you will be facing someone who has already demonstrated their will to hurt you badly or worse. There is the distinct possbility you may lose the match and your life.

With that said, if you cannot get away or have taken the decision to stand your ground and protect what's yours, OPEN HOSTILITIES IMMEDIATELY and do so with extreme prejudice. Now knowing these are your only two options (actually, there is a third one), you must think quickly and act decisively, be it to flee or to fight. The third option is to do nothing and leave yourself at the whim and mercy of your attacker.. not really an option in my book.

Lastly, don't be heros. Live to last another day if you can. Most of the time, if you get the hell out of there, you'll be much better off and thankful you took that option.
Old 03-19-2005, 10:21 AM
Registered Member

That should be, "Please do NOT let them confuse you or mislead you. There is a major difference" instead of what I wrote.
Old 06-17-2005, 08:56 AM
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts
I probally would have done the same thing if I had an open road. That asshole would probally have killed him anyway if he did give the car away. I can imagine the look on the car jackers' faces when the G35 bolted away like greased lightning!