Grrrrr...Pohanka

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2004 | 10:04 AM
Intermediate

Grrrrr...Pohanka

Ok, I think I'm rescinding my previous endorsement of Pohanka Acura in Chantilly, VA. Well, at least the service dept. Every time I get my car back from them I find a new scratch or mark. First was a 4 inch scratch in the hood. Next a 1/4 inch chunk of the interior by the glovebox (right by where the passenger's left knee would be). I let those go, chalking it up as wear and tear.

But now I'm pissed. Brought my car in last night for A1 service and to fix the headliner. It was dark when I got it back so I couldn't check it. But this morning the first thing I notice when I sit in my car is a large 8 inch scratch in the aluminum trim on the right side of the radio. Obvious it was caused by someone being lazy with a tool. Ugly as hell and in direct sight. I called and they said I need to wait to talk to the manager who took my car last night. They better order me a new trim. I hate that they're gonna have to take my interior apart but this looks HORRIBLE.

Has anyone had better luck with taking their car in to Pohanka in the morning? Night works better for me, but I feel like they have all highschool kids working then. I'll let you know how they resolve this.

(Side note: I forget, does the glovebox have a light? Thanks)
Old 05-18-2004 | 10:53 AM
Instructor

I feel for you, brother. My dealership had to replace my left aluminum trim piece on the side of the center console, because they gouged it when inserting a new climate control unit (the one from the factory had a nice scratch on the inside of the display screen). I hate to do it, but I annally go over the interior whenever I pick it up. I have seen a couple of really minor scratches that I don't say anything abuot, but it really chaps your ass when they put a good scratch on something!
Old 05-18-2004 | 11:17 AM
Racer

That trim is easy to bend/Scratch. I ruined mine installing a phone mount 4 hours after I picked up the car. I could have cried

I ordered the piece online for $75 (Pohanka wanted $125 :thefinger ) and it's as good as new.
Old 05-18-2004 | 12:14 PM
Intermediate

I'm in the same boat with you man. They have serious problems. Have you been dealing with Ben?
Old 05-18-2004 | 01:15 PM
Intermediate

No, I think my guy's name was Kyle, the paperwork's out in the car. He was ok. I have scratches on my tint and I asked him to see what his opinion on what I should do is, and he said he never heard of it. Hmm, you'd think that service managers would know about all these problems.

I dealt with another young guy once before and he was really nice. But I don't really need them to be the nicest guys in the world, I just want them to stop messing up my new car!
Old 05-18-2004 | 01:20 PM
Intermediate

It got so bad that the only person I deal with from here on out is Ben Calvetti the service manager. I'm still pretty pissed about the last fiasco (when they forgot to bold down my seat) and I think I'm gonna be getting in another argument there.
Old 05-18-2004 | 01:28 PM
Intermediate

Yeah, I talked to him this morning and he said I have to wait to talk with Kyle. How do you get to deal with Ben? Do you make appointments specifically with him or does he just handle the morning work?

I feel like I'm going to have to take pictures of my car before every service visit and then check to see what they scratched this time. Man, it really pisses me off.
Old 05-18-2004 | 01:32 PM
Intermediate

dude, i know what you mean. we had an accident in the TL in Dec and the body shop ruined the paint (story for a different day i guess) and it has been nothing but a headache since.

i got in with him after the first couple of problems. one of the service writers gave me shit and i refused to talk to anyone but him.
Old 05-18-2004 | 01:51 PM
Intermediate

They scratched my rear left side door when I brought it in to have the tires replaced.... then their detail shoppe did a shitty paint job on the right side of the bumper (painted over part of the headlight lens) as well as the lower right rear skirt.

I just hope that they fix it right..... I don't want any problems and most of my requests are based on what they bragged about when I was in the process of purchasing the car.

Why can't they have give quality service like Lindsay Lexus of Alexandria?
Old 05-18-2004 | 04:05 PM

thats why i always do a walk though and make the manager mark off that there are no scratches or anyything wrong with the car before i hand over the keys....this means that i cant drop it at night but its worth it in the end
Old 05-18-2004 | 04:27 PM
Racer

You guys should send them the URL for this forum (they probably know about it anyway, but it'll put them on notice). Props to Lindsay Lexus. Exept they, too, put a scratch in the clear coat rear drivers side door of my old RX300. No one's perfect, but Pohanka should know they're being watched.
Old 05-18-2004 | 04:37 PM
Instructor

ania,
good idea with the walkthrough that would save everyone headaches with arguments etc
Old 05-18-2004 | 10:12 PM
Intermediate

Ania has a good idea, but I thought one of the perks of buying a higher class car was higher class service.

I couldve gotten a Sunfire and saved myself some cash........
Old 05-19-2004 | 09:14 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Ania
thats why i always do a walk though and make the manager mark off that there are no scratches or anyything wrong with the car before i hand over the keys....this means that i cant drop it at night but its worth it in the end
In my case, they really didn't deny or probably they gave me the benefit of the doubt.... but the job they did was so that I want to :rocketwho and :enforcer: even one more time.
Old 05-19-2004 | 09:57 AM
Instructor

yOu guys scare me, I'm taking my car in tomorrow and I guess I need to make them do a walkthrough to make sure there is no scratches. How come come ppl saying pohanka has the best service in Nova area, and found out all these negtive comments here?
Old 05-19-2004 | 11:10 AM
Intermediate

Ok, I brought it in last night to have them look at the scratch. I feel like I'm always greated with an attitude, maybe because I'm only 22. But after I explained the situation the service guy was pretty courteous and respectfull. He called over the mechanic (a young guy) who worked on my car, and he predictably said he didn't see the scratch last night and he didn't have any tools in the car. Anyhow, the service manager quickly said they'd order me a new one and call me when it comes in. That made me happy, I didn't feel like putting up a fight. I'll be sure to schedule a morning appointment to have it fixed though.
Old 05-19-2004 | 11:14 AM
Cruisin'

try D & V Autobody in South Riding for bodywork... They repaired the rear of my ride after my girlfriend rear-ended me and did a great job... just visit them and you will be sold... In fact they had 3 new Acuras from Pohanka in there getting work done... guess Pohanka doesn't even trust their own work...
Old 05-19-2004 | 11:15 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by brusie
Ok, I brought it in last night to have them look at the scratch. I feel like I'm always greated with an attitude, maybe because I'm only 22. But after I explained the situation the service guy was pretty courteous and respectfull. He called over the mechanic (a young guy) who worked on my car, and he predictably said he didn't see the scratch last night and he didn't have any tools in the car. Anyhow, the service manager quickly said they'd order me a new one and call me when it comes in. That made me happy, I didn't feel like putting up a fight. I'll be sure to schedule a morning appointment to have it fixed though.
You are going to be there to make sure you don't trade one scratch for another, huh? I was worried when I took my TL in to replace the parts they scratched, fearing it would be a never-ending cycle of scratches/gouges incurred during the repair of other scratches/gouges.
Old 05-19-2004 | 11:55 AM
Advanced

Don't know how far Rosenthal is from you but its by far the best service center in the area. Three Acuras and six visits for warrenty work is what I'm basing this on. Work was always done well, no scratches, and nothing else was broke when I got it back. There was a previous thread about service in the DC area. I belive Rosenthal recieved only positive remarks.
Old 05-19-2004 | 03:14 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by inaltlcoat
try D & V Autobody in South Riding for bodywork... They repaired the rear of my ride after my girlfriend rear-ended me and did a great job... just visit them and you will be sold... In fact they had 3 new Acuras from Pohanka in there getting work done... guess Pohanka doesn't even trust their own work...
I could send chills through everyones body if I told you what happened at Pohanka Autobody in Arlington.

AVOID AT ALL COSTS
Old 05-19-2004 | 09:26 PM
Advanced

I bought my car on a Wednesday from Pohanka and took it back the following Monday to have the various accessories installed. It only took an hour so I waited.

When the car was returned to me it had serious scratches near one of the splash guards. Pohanka was quick to accept responsibility and try to fix it. The first attempt was to buff the scratches out but they were too deep. Next was re-painting the scratched area.

They had their touch-up guy do it in the parking lot and it looked horrible. Blended incorrectly, scratches still visible, bubbles, etc...I refused to accept the car. :thefinger

The service manager told me it should never have been touched by the touch-up guy and should have gone directly to the body shop and a controlled environment for painting. The body shop did an outstanding job and you can't even tell it was repainted (tough to blend metallic paint just right).

Although I was really disappointed that my new car was scratched in the first place, I was very pleased with the way Pohanka tried to right their wrong. All of their staff was extremely courteous and respectful.

I think Pohanka Service has a few areas of improvement to work on. Namely:
1. Inspecting their work before returning vehicles to the customer
2. Being careful around other peoples expensive possessions

This was a brand new car so I didn't have to worry about having one of the service reps inspect its immaculate condition before handing the car into their care. I did and do always inspect the vehicle (inside and out) prior to accepting the keys back from the dealer after service is performed. The next time it is in for service I will have them note the condition on the service form.

BTW - All of my service so far has been handled through the evening crew. Maybe I need to switch to mornings.
Old 05-19-2004 | 09:34 PM

i went yesterday to pick up the plates that arrived for the car got there i had 7 people approch me wantiing to help me.....was treated like a princess had the plates put on on the back ones which is litarly two bolts and they were like we are washing your car for you had it back with in ten minutes washed and looking great couldnt be happier..... my service writier also asked me how i like the car and when i mentioned the "problem" of the seats he was like wait a while and if they become an issue just bring the car in and we will take care of them. EXCELLENT Service......i would not of gotten this at pohanka.....i just dont think they like it when a young person drives a acura.....
Old 05-20-2004 | 09:55 PM
Intermediate

being a hot chick doesnt hurt any Ania.........
Old 05-20-2004 | 11:59 PM
Pro

I took delivery on my '04 TL from Pohanka in late January 2004. I have been in two or three times for installation of a few things.

Service so far has been average. Body side molding installation was a fiasco. It was installed perfectly (during the day on a weekday, by the way), but that was after I had to reschedule two appointments because they first told me they had the part when they didn't and then had the part but in the wrong color. :banghead:

I will give them credit for compensating, though. I basically paid only for the part and not the labor. Also, no scratches yet....
Old 05-21-2004 | 12:02 AM
Pro

By the way, I think I will stick with daylight hours at Pohanka and use D & V for any body work.
Old 05-21-2004 | 10:09 PM
10th Gear

D & V? who are they? Where are they (Chantilly area, I guess?)
Old 05-21-2004 | 10:11 PM
10th Gear

Never mind... found it!
Old 05-23-2004 | 07:15 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by VTECHokie
The service manager told me it should never have been touched by the touch-up guy and should have gone directly to the body shop and a controlled environment for painting. The body shop did an outstanding job and you can't even tell it was repainted (tough to blend metallic paint just right).

Although I was really disappointed that my new car was scratched in the first place, I was very pleased with the way Pohanka tried to right their wrong. All of their staff was extremely courteous and respectful.

I think Pohanka Service has a few areas of improvement to work on. Namely:
1. Inspecting their work before returning vehicles to the customer
2. Being careful around other peoples expensive possessions

This was a brand new car so I didn't have to worry about having one of the service reps inspect its immaculate condition before handing the car into their care. I did and do always inspect the vehicle (inside and out) prior to accepting the keys back from the dealer after service is performed. The next time it is in for service I will have them note the condition on the service form.

BTW - All of my service so far has been handled through the evening crew. Maybe I need to switch to mornings.
They did the same mistake with my car, painted the damage while on the parking lot. I wonder if its the same guy? :piss2: