3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: which LED would you want?
15 LED Round
40.00%
16 LED Tower
60.00%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Groupbuy: 20 Led Turn Signals For Those With Blacked/cleared Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 04:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oy vey...

One has 15 LEDs, one has 16, and they are arranged differently.

Mike
Old 06-27-2006, 05:27 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
I'm in for a set of 7443's for the front and7440 (in white) for the rear...

What happend to the monster 20 LED towers from the first thread. That would be ideal given the recessed nature of the front running lights.
Old 06-27-2006, 05:38 PM
Team Anthracite Member

From an electrical/physical standpoint, I would think it would be next to impossible to pack a resistor capable of dissipating the amount of current that needs dissipating in order to fool the light controller into thinking there's an incandescent bulb there and not an LED. So for all of you planning to do this, keep in mind you'll have to install a load resistor (and it's pretty big). And it should be located somewhere it can dissipate a lot of heat. Also, to replace the left turn signal, you have to remove the battery unless you have REALLY small hands.
Old 06-27-2006, 09:21 PM
Pro

couldnt this possibly drain the batteries faster?
Old 06-28-2006, 08:27 AM
SSM A-Spec

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm still collecting information on how many are interested and which style. Right now, 15 LED style is winning. I'm going to let this run a few more days than I'll tell the vendor how many and which style. Installing a load resistor guys, is a piece of cake. The only thing you have to be certain is that you mount the heat sink to a metal piece of the car.
Old 06-28-2006, 08:30 AM
SSM A-Spec

Originally Posted by Ka0tik
You don't have to worry about that. We hook up 500 watt amps to power subs to our batteries and they are fine. Two measly LED bulbs will be okay.
Old 06-28-2006, 09:11 PM
Instructor

what woiuld be needed to do this mod? Are they specially made for cleared turn signals since they blink yellow? Also, how much would the resistors cost?
Old 06-28-2006, 09:26 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Ka0tik
All these LEDs likely consume much much less power than one incandecent bulb.

For now count me in on the group buy.

Mike
Old 06-28-2006, 09:31 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
You can tally me in there as well for two of whatever, I dont really care
Old 06-28-2006, 10:27 PM
1st Gear

I'd be in for a pair.
Old 06-28-2006, 11:57 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by crazymjb
All these LEDs likely consume much much less power than one incandecent bulb.

For now count me in on the group buy.

Mike
This would be true if people here did not insist on using the caveman resistor method to maintain normal flashing rates. With the resistor, the same amount of power is used except this time around much more of it is dumped as heat -into whatever metal structure you mount it to. There is a better way, though it's a bit more involved so I can understand why some people take short cuts. On average, an LED will consume 1/10 the power for equal light output, and a much higher percentage of that power is emitted as light compared to incandecents. Very efficient. They don't look too bad either. I believe the new Audi A8's have LED headlights, quite impressive.

I would be interested in a set of the 20 diode jobs from the first post in a 7443. The latter 15/16 diode deals have been around and I believe someone from here tried them and decided they were not bright enough. Not sure though, it's been a while.
Old 06-29-2006, 01:22 AM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Manic
This would be true if people here did not insist on using the caveman resistor method to maintain normal flashing rates. With the resistor, the same amount of power is used except this time around much more of it is dumped as heat -into whatever metal structure you mount it to. There is a better way, though it's a bit more involved so I can understand why some people take short cuts. On average, an LED will consume 1/10 the power for equal light output, and a much higher percentage of that power is emitted as light compared to incandecents. Very efficient. They don't look too bad either. I believe the new Audi A8's have LED headlights, quite impressive.

I would be interested in a set of the 20 diode jobs from the first post in a 7443. The latter 15/16 diode deals have been around and I believe someone from here tried them and decided they were not bright enough. Not sure though, it's been a while.
I Agree with you, it is a cavemen method but without heavily modifying the flasher circuit, it is the way to go for most people.

I guess I am going to invest in a spare flasher relay and play with it to modify it so that LED flashers can be used. This is going to be a personal project when I do have the time.

The probelm with this custom modification of the flasher relay is it would need to be tailored to each specific 7443 LED Replacement light bulb out there (8, 9 12 , 15 ,17 LED) each have different current pull and the integrated circuit for the flasher was never conceived for LED light bulbs to start with.

best regards

frenchnew
Old 06-29-2006, 03:20 AM
Advanced

I'd like to buy a pair from you too!!
Old 06-29-2006, 04:52 AM
Advanced

If it is simple plug and play, i'd be in for a pair.
Old 06-29-2006, 08:08 AM
SSM A-Spec

HI EVERYONE: JUST A REMINDER. This GroupBuy is for the 15LED or 16LED Superwhite/Amber Flashing Bulb. Please post if you are interested and I will get these ordered. If you want to have an idea of the output of these bulbs go to the thread below and look at INVINCIBLE's car. He has the 16LED Tower. Very nice looking. His does NOT glow superwhite and flash amber, though. Also, if you read the thread, you will learn alot about how 15, 16 or 20 LED's are very close in light output.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ght=invincible
Old 06-29-2006, 08:09 AM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Originally Posted by Manic

Manic,
Good to hear someone with experience in this area.

Yep... LEDs are much less power and much more effecient, but because of this, the signal causes the lights to "hyperflash". The cavemean resistor gives the appearance to the circuit that the incadecent is in place and working.
Caveman or not, it works and is easy to wire... and the turn signals are only used every so often, so it shouldn''t stay too hot for too long.
I also agree the way to deal with this is to molest the flasher relay... but noone with any brains has done that yet.

Also agree with you about which led's.

-xtin and others tried the 15 led bulbs. They didn't look so good because most o fthe ligth was sent out the front, but side running lights use more of the reflector.

- I can't remember the name, but someone tried the 16 led towers in yellow/yellow. They didn't look too bad. I'd really like to try the 20 led towers though...
Old 06-29-2006, 08:12 AM
SSM A-Spec

Originally Posted by Kennedy
Manic,
Good to hear someone with experience in this area.

Yep... LEDs are much less power and much more effecient, but because of this, the signal causes the lights to "hyperflash". The cavemean resistor gives the appearance to the circuit that the incadecent is in place and working.
Caveman or not, it works and is easy to wire... and the turn signals are only used every so often, so it shouldn''t stay too hot for too long.
I also agree the way to deal with this is to molest the flasher relay... but noone with any brains has done that yet.

Also agree with you about which led's.

-xtin and others tried the 15 led bulbs. They didn't look so good because most o fthe ligth was sent out the front, but side running lights use more of the reflector.

- I can't remember the name, but someone tried the 16 led towers in yellow/yellow. They didn't look too bad. I'd really like to try the 20 led towers though...
I guess you didn't pay close to attention, but these 15 LEDs have 6 side firing LEDS to give a wider light angle. But YO, this is a thread to show interest in these bubs offered, NOT a thread to discuss LEDs and how they work. There are plenty of other LED discussion threads if you use the SEARCH function for that. So, please don't hijack my thread.
Old 06-29-2006, 12:41 PM
Pro

so if im not mistaken, all LED's will cause hyperflashing? if so, why not just replace the light with a bulb so there is no hyperflashing

would there be any differences when the lights are just on normally?
Old 06-29-2006, 01:56 PM
Advanced

I just want to clarify... We will need a resister if we change the bulbs to leds unless we want hyperflashing? How much is a resister and is it complicated to install? thanks in advance.
Old 06-29-2006, 02:00 PM
One on the right for me

^-see post 57...I dont think we are allowed to ask that simple question here
Old 06-29-2006, 02:17 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Originally Posted by subinf
^-see post 57...I dont think we are allowed to ask that simple question here
We're not allowed to ask questions that impact the installation of the product we may want to buy... per TL Dustins response to my contribution.
It's imperative the buyer understand the implications of the installation before committing to the purchase... but that's just my thoughts, otherwise your hijacking a thread.

and BTW, those that have not done the "search" research, those 6 side firing LEDS on the 15 led option BLOW., which is the point I was trying to make more politely in my previous thread. It's been well discussed here that most of the light comes out of the sides, NOT the front, where most of the 15 LED bulbs id focused.
Read PAGE 1 of the link Dustin provided and you'll see that.

I have a question... What happended to the 20 LED tower option...?
Old 06-29-2006, 02:39 PM
One on the right for me

We're not allowed to ask questions that impact the installation of the product we may want to buy... per TL Dustins response to my contribution.
It's imperative the buyer understand the implications of the installation before committing to the purchase... but that's just my thoughts, otherwise your hijacking a thread.
I agree. I dont know much about LED lights and would like to see this thread open up to an explanation so those who are interested know what they are saying "yes" to.
Old 06-30-2006, 08:19 AM
SSM A-Spec

and BTW, those that have not done the "search" research, those 6 side firing LEDS on the 15 led option BLOW., which is the point I was trying to make more politely in my previous thread. It's been well discussed here that most of the light comes out of the sides, NOT the front, where most of the 15 LED bulbs id focused.
Read PAGE 1 of the link Dustin provided and you'll see that.

I have a question... What happended to the 20 LED tower option...?
Well, the original product I found was the 20 LED but they will only manufacture the 15 or 16 LED style. So Kennedy, explain to me why the 6 LEDs on the side "blow" as you say? Designwise, they are a huge improvement on standard front firing LEDs because you are now getting light projected to the sides where it was previously lacking. And why do people get LEDs? Well, its simply a matter of preference. It's like two different brands of cell phones, they both are used for the same thing but with different features and pros and cons. And I've posted this several times in the thread. IF YOU WANT THE BLINKER TO BLINK AT A NORMAL RATE, YOU WILL NEED A LOAD RESISTOR. No, there is not a bult in resistor. It's a piece of cake to install. When it comes down to it, the bulbs will put out a decent amount of light; more than incandescent bulbs. LEDs are the latest "trend". And the coolest feature, these Glow Superwhite and Blink Amber! ** thumbs up **
Old 06-30-2006, 08:45 AM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Originally Posted by TL Dustin
Well, the original product I found was the 20 LED but they will only manufacture the 15 or 16 LED style. So Kennedy, explain to me why the 6 LEDs on the side "blow" as you say? Designwise, they are a huge improvement on standard front firing LEDs because you are now getting light projected to the sides where it was previously lacking.
Dustin, I think you have a cool idea here with the white/yellow. Stop being so damn confrontational and people won't get hostile.

The 15 led's blow because of the reflector design. The reflector is designed with a standard bulb in mind, where most of the light is emmitted from the sides of the bulb, NOT the front. Even with a whopping 6 little LEDs directed at the sides, 2/3 of the light output is still cast directly out the front of the bulb, making no use of the reflector at all... This output will only be visible right before you head smashes into the headlight. It's a very simple concept.
I was enthusiastic about the 20 LED becasue of this design.

Here it's very clear:

From page (1) of the thread you posted, 15 LED bulb:

From page 3, 16 led towers, where most of the ligth is cast tot he sides like a real incadescent bulb:

Which one appears to work better?

Also, being the enterprising young man you are, since we all concur load resistors are a must, perhaps they could/should be offered as part of the buy? Perhaps even, we could specify a load resistor specific to each bulb design that will minimize power draw yet still trick the circuit into thinking they're regular bulbs (given autolumination offers three different size resistors)?
Old 06-30-2006, 09:58 AM
Administrator

Received 1,004 Likes on 574 Posts
TL Dustin PM'd me and asked me to clean up the thread, but I explained to him that questions and answers in a thread like this are necessary so interested people can make an intelligent decision on whether or not to buy the product. As long as the posts stay on topic, questions about the leds are not only allowed but are encouraged.

I hope TL Dustin will agree with me on this and contribute to the discussions, because he started an excellent thread with a great deal of interest and I am sure a lot of people will benefit when a final decision is made and the LED turn signals are finally available. He has done an excellent job monitoring this thread and keeping us informed.

I think it might be time to contact the seller and start to finalize the plans with him, and have him contact Astroboy. It all hinges on whether the seller will sign on as a vendor, so you need to determine this so you can move forward with this project.
Old 06-30-2006, 11:24 AM
Intermediate

TL Dustin, Ok this is what I want to know. From the pictures from Kennedy it looks like the 16 is better so the 16 LED are 23.99 for two that 47.98. What kind of resistor would you recommend?? And how much is it for each?? I just want to get a final price. Thanks.
Old 06-30-2006, 10:26 PM
SSM A-Spec

Hey I'm waiting on the vendor to get registered with the AZ and than we'll start the groupBuy and I'll post more details. Also, I've asked about load resistors and will post pricing for that, too.
Old 06-30-2006, 11:26 PM
99 SSM Tl

Im in for a pair
Old 07-01-2006, 10:11 AM
Cruisin'

Im in for either one.
Old 07-01-2006, 10:23 AM
Team Owner

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,031 Posts
Which one appears to work better?
Can't tell from those pictures - the photos are completely different exposures as you can see from the headlights.

In the one in which the parking light appears dim, the headlight is also very dim. The headlight is very bright in the picture in which the parking light appears very bright.

Mike
Old 07-01-2006, 02:51 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Originally Posted by svtmike
Can't tell from those pictures - the photos are completely different exposures as you can see from the headlights.

In the one in which the parking light appears dim, the headlight is also very dim. The headlight is very bright in the picture in which the parking light appears very bright.

Mike
Mike,
Fine. let's quibble over this.
I have tried both. I started with 15 led's from ebay (identical to those offer by AL). I then bought (1) 16 led tower in yellow/yellow (thought they can in pairs, oops).

The 16 LED towers work lots better.
The pictures show the difference, whether you want to prattle over exposure length, focus angle, flash, or whatever.
Old 07-01-2006, 06:39 PM
1st Gear

id be in for a pair of the 16 leds
Old 07-02-2006, 04:47 AM
Advanced

just purchased 24-led set of 7440's in amber from ebay...i wanted to have amber at all times because cops in south jersey fukin suck...lol...what u guys think....i know i have to get resisters or sumthin called a led blinker sumthing...cant think of it...what should i get to ensure proper blinking speed? thanx

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...DME:B:EF:US:11
Old 07-02-2006, 08:40 AM
Team Owner

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,031 Posts
Mike,
Fine. let's quibble over this.
I have tried both. I started with 15 led's from ebay (identical to those offer by AL). I then bought (1) 16 led tower in yellow/yellow (thought they can in pairs, oops).

The 16 LED towers work lots better.
The pictures show the difference, whether you want to prattle over exposure length, focus angle, flash, or whatever.
Thanks for condescending my very valid observation as quibbling and prattling. There may very well be a difference in the performance of the lights - I'm not saying that there aren't because I simply don't know.

Since this forum is in part about information sharing and establishing generally accepted facts, I think it is problematic to be offering highly suspect photographic proof to substantiate a claim. The controls on the photographs are obviously not tight enough to be able to claim they show a difference.

I could take two photos of the same lights with different exposure parameters and make it look like two completely different sets of lights. Add in the variables of two different light sources from different angles and you really can't draw any conclusions from the photos.

Mike
Old 07-02-2006, 08:47 AM
VS#03

Count me in also.....just pm me with the details.
Old 07-02-2006, 07:18 PM
ThreeHR

im in....pm with the details of the group buy plz thankssssss
Old 07-02-2006, 09:52 PM
Instructor

In the photo comparison, it looks like the pic of the 15 LED has the low-beams off. I think the flash reflection just makes it looks like its on. I haven't tried either bulb, but I would think the 16 LED towers would be brighter and reflect more. Now if the turn signal housing is painted black, there might not be as big a difference between the two.
Old 07-04-2006, 10:01 PM
FizzyStatus!

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Yeah man I'm in
PM me with details with the pricing and all..thanks!
Old 07-04-2006, 10:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Count me in if you go with the 16s, though a pic would be really nice(of them in use).

Mike
Old 07-06-2006, 08:06 AM
How may I help you.....?

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
What is the status of this thread? Are we going to make something happen here?

Quick Reply: Groupbuy: 20 Led Turn Signals For Those With Blacked/cleared Headlights