Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grinding noise...

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2004, 04:11 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grinding noise...

A question for all AT owner. I have notice a grinding noise sound under the hood after the car is normallly accelerated to about 10-20 mph (only in the morning).

Sequence:

1. Car parked in garage overnight.
2. After start eng , allow about 30 sec before back out of garage.
3. Put car in Drive after complete stop.
4. Slowly/normal accelerate car ( the street has a slight downhill incline)
hear grinding noise at about 10-20 mph.

The car has 7k miles. Notice this in the last week ( consistently every morning)
Vin no. 42xxx. This is not the normal clicking sound with ABS. Could this be a transmission issue?
Old 07-11-2004, 04:19 PM
Racer

it always happens on my TL since new no matter it's overnight or not
Old 07-11-2004, 06:03 PM
10th Gear

I don't get a grind per se but a definite clunk for a second. And you're right, it has to be after a period of inactivity. I went to the dealer to demonstrate it and of course it wouldn't work with a stop/start.

Any ideas what this is??

KF
Old 07-11-2004, 06:56 PM
7th Gear

I have the same issue also. It happens in the mornings (when I first use the car) and it seems to happen during the shift from 1st to 2nd. I though it might be the tranny recall issue but my vin is in the 42,000s. I'm almost due for my first oil change and I will bring this issue up with the dealer.
Old 07-11-2004, 07:02 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Killfox
I don't get a grind per se but a definite clunk for a second. And you're right, it has to be after a period of inactivity. I went to the dealer to demonstrate it and of course it wouldn't work with a stop/start.

Any ideas what this is??

KF
What I'm hear is not a clunk or clicking sound but more of grinding noise. The inactivity
from parking at work does not cause this. The only different is street at the house has
has a downward inclince. What's give?
Old 07-11-2004, 07:14 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
ABS checking/recycling... NORMAL.

We also say it's Click/Thump/Flap/Clunk Noise... Check out Garage, there is detailed stuff there...

Originally Posted by hokietl
What I'm hear is not a clunk or clicking sound but more of grinding noise. The inactivity
from parking at work does not cause this. The only different is street at the house has
Sometimes, mine could replicate this sound while sitting in the parking lot more than an hour. When I drive it away, the sound starts to happen.
Old 07-11-2004, 07:30 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by rets
ABS checking/recycling... NORMAL.

We also say it's Click/Thump/Flap/Clunk Noise... Check out Garage, there is detailed stuff there...
I sure hope that's the case, I was getting a bit worried! I'm heading over the the garage section to find more info on this.
Old 07-11-2004, 07:58 PM
10th Gear

My bad. Thanks Rets - found the thread after I posted

http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85426

So, anyone know what the clicking is when I depress the break pedal on my 2004? I thought it was the tail lights switching on and the relay was noisy but a store window check says no. NE ideas?

TIA

KF
Old 07-11-2004, 08:29 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by Killfox

My bad. Thanks Rets - found the thread after I posted

http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85426

So, anyone know what the clicking is when I depress the break pedal on my 2004? I thought it was the tail lights switching on and the relay was noisy but a store window check says no. NE ideas?

TIA

KF

That clicking sound "seems" normal.

However, if you continuingly and frequently hear that noisy from "inside" in every chance you step on your brake, you may need your dealer to check the plunger on brake switch. If necessary, they will replace it.

If it's from outside, it "seems" normal, too, and a space between the caliper and the brake pad usually causes that clicking sound. Unfortunately, all my Acuras have this sound since Day 1. (I'm not saying all Acuras "should" come with this sound... )
Old 07-11-2004, 08:33 PM
10th Gear

Thanks for the quick reply.

Yes its every time and its only from inside. I have my first oil change coming up and I'll have them check it then

KF
Old 07-11-2004, 08:37 PM
Through Tamburello.......

Grinding noise

Thanks for the note. I've had my TL for three months now and have noticed this grinding noise. It happens very shortly after I start the car from a period in which it has been parked ando only lasts 1-2 s. Anyone else have anything to add on this matter? Can it really be the ABS if it's felt through the GAS pedal (not calling anyone dumb here)?

Cheers!
Old 07-11-2004, 11:42 PM
Advanced

grinding noise

Folks what I'm hearing is a grinding noise very briefly (1 to 2 sec as stated by other) and not the normal ABS test (clunking, tapping. thumping, or clicking sound). More as metal grinding similar to a sound of manual tranny when clutch is not fully depressed when shifting gear. Break is not depressed during this time.
Old 07-12-2004, 06:56 PM
Advanced

Folks what I'm hearing is a grinding noise very briefly (1 to 2 sec as stated by other) and not the normal ABS test (clunking, tapping. thumping, or clicking sound). More of metal grinding sound similar to a manual tranny when clutch is not fully depressed when shifting gear. Break is not depressed during this time.
Anyone else has a comment on this
Old 07-12-2004, 07:30 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Anyone else has a comment on this
1. Car parked in garage overnight.
2. After start eng , allow about 30 sec before back out of garage.
3. Put car in Drive after complete stop.
4. Slowly/normal accelerate car ( the street has a slight downhill incline)
hear grinding noise at about 10-20 mph.

Based on what you've described above, it's fully matching this ABS matter. I wish I'm wrong... mabye the steering wheel pump?
Old 07-13-2004, 02:50 PM
Advanced

Pretty loud grinding noise...

Based on what you've described above, it's fully matching this ABS matter. I wish I'm wrong... mabye the steering wheel pump?
I was able to reproduce the noise this morning...pretty loud sound when I let the car coast a little in neutral before change gear shifter to drive. Defininately a transmission grinning noise probably when the gear is engaged ( synchro. problem? or not getting lube from long period of inactivity). Vin no is 42xxx. with about 7k miles. Car has not been
driven hard.
Old 07-17-2004, 04:05 PM
Advanced

I was able to reproduce the noise this morning...pretty loud sound when I let the car coast a little in neutral before change gear shifter to drive. Defininately a transmission grinning noise probably when the gear is engaged ( synchro. problem? or not getting lube from long period of inactivity). Vin no is 42xxx. with about 7k miles. Car has not been
driven hard.

update....grinding noise is more frequent now. Definitely after car has been parked
for 2-3 hour. Also, sometime when transmission shift from 1st to 2nd. I have not
takin to the dealer. However, wife's MDX will be going in on Monday for the recall.

The grinding noise is more noticable with the cabin quiet (radio off, door auto lock off).

Auto tranny owner please try this...let the car coast first on an incline in neutral (about 10 mph) and change shifter from neutral to drive....I'm getting a pretty loud grinding noise. Could it be that the car has a bad synchro.
Old 07-17-2004, 05:45 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Grinding noise seems to mean the sound btwn metal and metal... I just want to make sure that's the best term to describe your issue...?
Old 07-17-2004, 07:31 PM
Advanced

Grinding noise seems to mean the sound btwn metal and metal... I just want to make sure that's the best term to describe your issue...?
Yes..unfortunately.
Old 07-17-2004, 09:16 PM
Team Anthracite

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There's no doubt that a sound SHOULD happen at this point. However, the intensity / quality of the sound is what you should be concerned about. In my car (6spd), there is a slight... "clunking" kind of sound when I start out in the morning. I can feel it only through the clutch when I move to second gear (about the time it happens.) I do NOT feel it through the shift knob.

So if your sound is really startling you, get it checked out... its possible that the ABS clunk is having difficulties doing its job, and instead resorts to grinding. Bad....
Old 07-23-2004, 09:08 PM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
my tl with the automatic transmission also makes that slight clunk sound after being parked for an hour or longer, sound usually occurs between gears 1 and 2 at low rate of speed. i will take it to the dealer next week to address that issue as well as other minor issues. Will post results.
Old 07-23-2004, 10:15 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by consultauto
my tl with the automatic transmission also makes that slight clunk sound after being parked for an hour or longer, sound usually occurs between gears 1 and 2 at low rate of speed. i will take it to the dealer next week to address that issue as well as other minor issues. Will post results.
Welcome to the forum....

Sound should usually occur aroud 10 mph, it's obviously around 1 or 2 gears...

That sound seems normal... would you mind checking out Garage section? There is a list there...
Old 07-23-2004, 10:18 PM
Advanced

What about a big clunk (grinding noise) when shifting from park to drive or drive to reverse. Any ideas? I'm taking her to the dealer to get some other issues fixed! While there i will bring this up to them.
Old 07-23-2004, 11:11 PM
Advanced

Back up..

I was going forward, and I stopped...
and changed it to reverse and back up the car immediately, and I can hear a very very loud noise from the front part of my tires, the sound was like metals robbing against each other, I guess it was the break problem? and as i accelerated my car(back up), it gets louder and louder, is it something relate to the grinding noise when I start my car in the morning, and heard a noise coming out from the front(10mph)?
Old 07-23-2004, 11:51 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by grktl
What about a big clunk (grinding noise) when shifting from park to drive or drive to reverse. Any ideas? I'm taking her to the dealer to get some other issues fixed! While there i will bring this up to them.

If you talk about that sound happens when shifting between R gear and P/D, it could be normal... FWD vehicle used to have this noise. You will hear it clearly in quiet space or garage.

Let me know what your dealer says to you, thanks.
Old 07-23-2004, 11:59 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by a_bu_lo
I was going forward, and I stopped...
and changed it to reverse and back up the car immediately, and I can hear a very very loud noise from the front part of my tires, the sound was like metals robbing against each other, I guess it was the break problem? and as i accelerated my car(back up), it gets louder and louder, is it something relate to the grinding noise when I start my car in the morning, and heard a noise coming out from the front(10mph)?

You seem to talk two different things. First of all, the noise when you start your car in the morning and from the front (about 10mph) is normal by ABP pump.

Please go to Garage and check out the noise threads...

Second, when you switch back and forth btwn forward and backward, FWD tanny may make a grinding sound, normal. When moving, your brake (outsides) may make "click"-like sound in some situation (check the same thread as I mention above in the Garage)... sometimes if you accelerate fast to back up, the R gear seems to make some noise in such high speed... (I don't know how to explain it though... sorry )
Old 07-24-2004, 10:40 AM
Instructor

Door locks?
Old 07-24-2004, 10:52 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
There is a "grade retarder" function in the 5AT that applies (engine) braking on inclines. See your owners manual but I don't think it goes into detail.

That could be it.

XP
Old 07-24-2004, 01:49 PM
Moderator Alumnus

What is "grade retarder"? If this is what I think, Grade Logic Control System, this won't cause that grinding sound for him.

This could be the good thought, but the sound of downshifting isn't "grinding".

Grade Logic Control System will automatically downshift your gear for increased downhill engine braking... if it works, you would hear the same sound as you downshift from 3 to 2 or 2 to 1... depend how fast you try to drive...

hokietl,

Try downshift manually in plain roads and check if the sound is the same...
Old 07-24-2004, 01:52 PM
registered !!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I get exactly the same grinding noise. Almost feels like its coming from the driver's side only.
Old 07-24-2004, 02:37 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by Intox1221
I get exactly the same grinding noise. Almost feels like its coming from the driver's side only.
When & How? Could you describe it a little more?
Old 07-24-2004, 10:02 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Qien sabe

What is "grade retarder"? If this is what I think, Grade Logic Control System, this won't cause that grinding sound for him.

This could be the good thought, but the sound of downshifting isn't "grinding".

Grade Logic Control System will automatically downshift your gear for increased downhill engine braking... if it works, you would hear the same sound as you downshift from 3 to 2 or 2 to 1... depend how fast you try to drive...

Try downshift manually in plain roads and check if the sound is the same...
I can't speak to what it sounds like because we don't have any hills in South Florida. THe biggest mountain we have is Mt. Basura, the landfill.

XP