3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

great, just got a tint ticket - if i just pay it off, whats the worst that can happen

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 04:26 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
great, just got a tint ticket - if i just pay it off, whats the worst that can happen

Great, i just got a window tint ticket today. What is the worst that can happy if i just pay for it? I read somewhere that if i get a second ticket, it will be a heavier fine? However, i can't find it anywhere in the forum...

20 percent all around...

another question, what if i can get a note from a doctor, then how much can i get my fronts tinted? The officer said 85 percent of the light have to be able to go through, but i am not too sure about that. 85 percent is a weird number. IONO what do you guys think?
Old 11-02-2006, 04:31 PM
Burning Brakes

the worst that can happen is that youll just get another ticket
Old 11-02-2006, 04:50 PM
Instructor

hm. it'll cost me 50 dollars to have both window removed.

the ticket will be anywhere from 75-100 dollars.

I would normally just pay for it, BUT i goto college in a small town, so im scare that the same cop will keep dicking me...

My eyes have medical problems, so im trying to go that route.
Old 11-02-2006, 04:53 PM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts
It's not a traffic violation, so it won't matter if you get 20 of them and you pay them all, insurance doesn't care and neither do the cops. They are just making money.
Old 11-02-2006, 04:55 PM
B A N N E D

just go to a dealer and take pics of a car that your same color....interior doesnt matter as they are looking for the tint.
Old 11-02-2006, 05:01 PM
Instructor

okay, i guess i'll just keep paying for the tickets. i just hope i dont get one every 30 days lol.
Old 11-02-2006, 05:04 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by pimpin-tl
It's not a traffic violation, so it won't matter if you get 20 of them and you pay them all, insurance doesn't care and neither do the cops. They are just making money.
Exactly,
I guess you were the unlucky one that got caught at the end of the month.
I got caught back in june.
just pay the ticket and at the end of the month be careful
Old 11-02-2006, 05:06 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by gotjesus
Exactly,
I guess you were the unlucky one that got caught at the end of the month.
I got caught back in june.
just pay the ticket and at the end of the month be careful
what im worry about is that i goto UCSC and its a pretty small town...
Old 11-02-2006, 07:15 PM
Instructor

Arrow tickets

i just got a tint ticket 2 weeks ago and he also gave me a ticket for no front license plate! this i my 4th ticket in 1 month. 2 for no license plate in front , 1 for HOV lane (my fault) and 1 for Tint. I decided just to put my front license plate on and im just gonna pay for the stupid tint ticket.the cop tested out my windows and he measured 24 in the back and 25 in the front. anyways I WILL NOT take off my tint!
Old 11-02-2006, 08:16 PM
Racer

I would be careful and check the local laws. Some places it is a fix it ticket only and if you don't fix, they will suspend your licence. It happened to me in California, I got a tint ticket, sent in the money and moved to Florida. When I went to get my licence changed, they said I had a suspended licence. It took 3 months of explaining that I don't live in California anymore to get the suspension lifted. ( I HATE California law)

So don't think they are no penalties for ignoring them and just paying. As I said, check your state's rules.......
Old 11-03-2006, 04:27 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by chfields
I would be careful and check the local laws. Some places it is a fix it ticket only and if you don't fix, they will suspend your licence. It happened to me in California, I got a tint ticket, sent in the money and moved to Florida. When I went to get my licence changed, they said I had a suspended licence. It took 3 months of explaining that I don't live in California anymore to get the suspension lifted. ( I HATE California law)

So don't think they are no penalties for ignoring them and just paying. As I said, check your state's rules.......
great i live in california lol, so does this apply to me?
Old 11-03-2006, 07:11 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by playboyace35
great i live in california lol, so does this apply to me?
Definitely....You cannot just pay the ticket, you have to remove the tint and have the police sign off on it. California is a major PITA!!!!
Old 11-03-2006, 12:42 PM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by TypeAcuraTL
i just got a tint ticket 2 weeks ago and he also gave me a ticket for no front license plate! this i my 4th ticket in 1 month. 2 for no license plate in front , 1 for HOV lane (my fault) and 1 for Tint. I decided just to put my front license plate on and im just gonna pay for the stupid tint ticket.the cop tested out my windows and he measured 24 in the back and 25 in the front. anyways I WILL NOT take off my tint!
Your potential problem is that, because you live in Virginia, you have to have the state safety inspection done each year. Depending on where you take the car, the inspector might give you the rejection sticker if your tint is too dark. Be very careful in deciding where you get that done, or else be prepared to give the inspector a nice "tip" for passing you.
Old 05-26-2007, 08:39 AM
Safety Car

Received 134 Likes on 130 Posts
If I get a tint ticket around Chicago and I pay for the ticket, will it go on my record. DON'T want insurance to go up.
Old 05-26-2007, 09:20 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TypeAcuraTL

What did they measure it with? Do they have something in their cars? Also, what level of tint did you get from the tint shop? I just got mine done at 35% all around, I'm hoping that isn't too much of an issue since I see many cars with much darker tint.
Old 05-26-2007, 09:28 AM
Pimpin' Ain't Easy!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Anansi
What did they measure it with? Do they have something in their cars? Also, what level of tint did you get from the tint shop? I just got mine done at 35% all around, I'm hoping that isn't too much of an issue since I see many cars with much darker tint.

no its not a moving violation. itd be the same if your taillight was out... at least i think
Old 05-26-2007, 11:38 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Whaddup Anansi! They have a little contraption that looks like a small rectangular box in MD that they hold up to the glass. According to how much light passes thru it is how they determine your tint level. If it is an overcast day, the cop told me that might be your ass! Hahahahaha! Seriously! So, in MD if you get pulled over, you have to get it taken off and they give you a ticket that you have to bring back up to the police office, any one, and let them check out the car so they can release you. NO ESCAPING IT IN MD! You get caught, it's coming off! Hell, they used to make you take it off right there on the spot! No joke!
Old 05-26-2007, 04:17 PM
4th Gear

If you visit the website www.windowtint.com...on the left side of the screen there is a tab that you can click called "State Law Chart" and that chart will tell you what is legal in your state. But in your case its obviously illegal...I live in Chicago and i had a Subaru WRX and I had never been bothered in my town or any other neighboring towns. But as soon as i got into a town about an hour away i was nailed but i just paid it and said screw it im not takin it off b/c i got a ticket in a town i never really drove thru.
Old 05-26-2007, 05:20 PM
Safety Car

I am sick of wanting tint I love it My eyes are very sensitive to bright light and need it. I wondered if I see an eye doctor if he can give me a card to have tint?????????????????????? I am thinking about getting 35% on ALL the side windows and NOT the rear window. That way cops can see in from the rear. What do you think????
Old 05-26-2007, 06:34 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by JD TL-S
I am sick of wanting tint I love it My eyes are very sensitive to bright light and need it. I wondered if I see an eye doctor if he can give me a card to have tint?????????????????????? I am thinking about getting 35% on ALL the side windows and NOT the rear window. That way cops can see in from the rear. What do you think????
I think that if you're scared, you should maybe buy you some shades?

LOL!
Old 05-26-2007, 08:23 PM
DuDeChEwY

Great, i just got a window tint ticket today. What is the worst that can happy if i just pay for it? I read somewhere that if i get a second ticket, it will be a heavier fine? However, i can't find it anywhere in the forum...

20 percent all around...

another question, what if i can get a note from a doctor, then how much can i get my fronts tinted? The officer said 85 percent of the light have to be able to go through, but i am not too sure about that. 85 percent is a weird number. IONO what do you guys think?
i have a doctors note and a certificate from the nj dmv and it says i can have my windows tinted and also my windshield tinted....i have 20s all around and 35s on the windshield......i got pulled over in nyc for having my windows too dark.....i was told the certificate doesnt hold in a different state....i think its all bs but whatever it was a $60 ticket and i paid it off......btw the certificate gives a certain percentage that the tint has to be.
Old 05-26-2007, 10:23 PM
Racer

Anansi: Your tint is unlawful in VA Sorry! VA states you must allow 50% through the fronts and 35% in the rears. 35% isn't that bad but I'll almost guarentee that your Tint registers darker than 35%. The windows are already tinted from the factory. My friend got 20% put on his TL and it registered 10% on the tint meter. I do know that in NOVA if you get multiple tickets for Tint the Judges will hit you with a very hefty Fine. First Offense is a joke and they will usually dismiss it if you tell them it was removed. God help you though if you tell them it was removed and it wasn't. Remember a Police Officer will have your driving record at court for the judge and it will show prior convictions for Window Tint if you had any. THat is when you have to worry because I have seen them slam some hefty fines like $500 a pop. If the Cop who wrote you patrols your neighborhood and knows your car get it replaced with legal tint all around. Trust me you are playing with fire. If it was a random thing then I would say don't worry so much. Most Cops do not write for Tint violations unless you are a jerk. In that case refer to my statement above about them "Knowing your car". Plus if you like to trick out your car and put alot of Mods on it that will attract the attention of the PoPo just like everyone else and makes it easy to pick you out of a crowd. Remember, It pays to be Polite, Not a sermon just a thought!
Old 05-26-2007, 11:28 PM
10th Gear

If your in a small town like you say you are... the smart thing to believe is you "will" cross that cops path again. You might not see him, but he will remember you! Especially if your car sticks out and is the only type/color in that town. If you do have a tricked some way that no other car has, this guy will notice you quickly. Now... how many tickets will it take before you call it quits too? This may get very expensive for you... just something to think about.
Old 05-27-2007, 12:32 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dudechewy
.....i was told the certificate doesnt hold in a different state....i think its all bs but whatever it was a $60 ticket and i paid it off......btw the certificate gives a certain percentage that the tint has to be.

Not sure, but i think the "full faith and credit" thingy in the constitution forbids this sort of cross-state hokey....either that, or states could restrict interstate travel based on legislation that doesn't match states they don't like?
Old 05-27-2007, 12:50 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by dudechewy
i have a doctors note and a certificate from the nj dmv and it says i can have my windows tinted and also my windshield tinted....i have 20s all around and 35s on the windshield......i got pulled over in nyc for having my windows too dark.....i was told the certificate doesnt hold in a different state....i think its all bs but whatever it was a $60 ticket and i paid it off......btw the certificate gives a certain percentage that the tint has to be.
How do you get a eye doctors note. Can an eye doctor tell by looking at your eyes if the sun bothers you? I already wear shades all the time, unless its dark out. Even cloudy days I wear shades. On sunny days the sun still peaks around my shades and it bugs me

Should I make an eye appointment?
Old 05-27-2007, 09:15 AM
RBP > WDP, NBP, SSM etc

20 percent all around...

also be careful, here in NY, the cops are allowed to pull a knife out and PEEL THE TINT OFF The window if they really want to...and you can't do a DAMN thing about it if the meter reads anything below 70...I have 35 all around, haven't been bothered yet, had 20 all around in my 98 civic, and got pulled over all the time

check your local laws, otherwise, its not a moving violations, so you're ok
Old 05-27-2007, 09:14 PM
Secret Agent

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts
I was hanging out with my brother (cop), his girlfriend (cop) and a friend of theirs who drives a TL (yep, cop too) who has his windows tinted. He said the trick into not attracting a lot of attention to the tint is to just have the front and rear different. You can go darker than the law allows and as long as there is some contrast between the front and rear they won't look too close. This is in Northern VA.
Old 05-28-2007, 02:53 AM
DuDeChEwY

Originally Posted by JD TL-S
How do you get a eye doctors note. Can an eye doctor tell by looking at your eyes if the sun bothers you? I already wear shades all the time, unless its dark out. Even cloudy days I wear shades. On sunny days the sun still peaks around my shades and it bugs me

Should I make an eye appointment?
DO IT!!.....i went to the local lencrafters.
Old 05-28-2007, 11:25 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
don't know exactly where you live in cali... but if it's so cal. go see my buddy Mike at Mike's Tint Shop in Orange. If you pay for the expensive film he will give you ticket protection. Which means if you get a ticket, just bring the car in to him and he'll take the tint off so you can go get an inspection and then put it back on for free! I've already done it twice. Just paid my $10 fix it ticket at the courthouse and went on my way. More hassle now than anything... oh yah, and i'm limo tint on a black on black with 19s. I get hassled ALL the time!
Old 05-28-2007, 12:53 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
Originally Posted by Hi There
Not sure, but i think the "full faith and credit" thingy in the constitution forbids this sort of cross-state hokey....either that, or states could restrict interstate travel based on legislation that doesn't match states they don't like?
This is something I've said numerous times before (although I didn't know the reason behind it). You can't be written a ticket for (some) non-moving violations out of state. Tint is the most obvious of these; it doesn't matter what the laws are in NY if my car is registered in NC.
Old 05-29-2007, 10:17 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by chill_dog
This is something I've said numerous times before (although I didn't know the reason behind it). You can't be written a ticket for (some) non-moving violations out of state. Tint is the most obvious of these; it doesn't matter what the laws are in NY if my car is registered in NC.
Yeah, I'm not at all sure about the issues/legality surrounding that, I'm not a lawyer...but it would make sense. Otherwise, for example, if Georgia got in a trade/border dispute with Florida, they could make laws like "People with oranges on their license plate can't drive in Georgia" or similar.
Old 05-29-2007, 10:28 AM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,117 Posts
I don't understand people that complain about tint tickets. If you KNOW you're going above and beyond what the law states, and you get caught, then don't complain.
Old 05-29-2007, 10:29 AM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I've had over $250 in tickets in Chicago for my front tint over the past three years. Well worth it in my book -- it's the cost of having tint .. i like the privacy and the look.
Old 06-21-2007, 04:33 PM
1st Gear

i got a ticket in chicago, but i have a ny license. just moved here. I got a ticket for tints and have to go to court tomorrow.... I wouldnt mind just paying a fine, but I have to miss work and go to court ....

what I want to know is once I switch over to an IL license, will I still have to go to court every time I get a tint ticket? or is this only since I had an out of state license? I can deal with the fines, but not the mandatory going to court.....

also, any advice on not getting a fine now that I will have to go to court tomorrow? anyone with fake receipts I can just print and show em tomorrow?

thanks in advance
Old 06-21-2007, 05:17 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by chill_dog
Probably has something to do with the fact that tint law is different in every state. What might be illegal in one is legal in the other. Sort of like how most countries will not extradite a bad guy on small legal issues. If there was a federal law for tint it might be a different matter.

I understand why there are tint laws. To protect police. But, I think more often then not it is just another way to generate money for the town / city / state.