Grate Grin On A Stock 05 TL

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2007 | 02:25 AM
Instructor

Grate Grin On A Stock 05 TL

All credit on the fog lights go to Ua6spec who posted the Foglight Relocation thread.

There was lots of meticulous cutting and grinding/sanding involved. It took about 6 hours one night.
Sorry this isn't a writeup but here are some pics for those who like to look at photos.

Lower grill grate comparison.

The center grill is taller even though it appears to be about the same here.

Had to split the grill in half to remove some of the middle section.

I dissected the switch that came with the Accord fog lights. The gray button piece on the right was from a TL VSA switch.
I ended up using epoxy to glue the gray and white piece together then reassembled the switch.

I guess I need to get a front lip installed to make it look good.

The final result of the lower grill after all of the chopping and grinding.

Old 01-08-2007 | 05:00 AM
B A N N E D

great work! Would you be interested in making another set so I could just install it onto my car without modification? I can't do the cutting and dremeling work.

I am willing to pay if it will turn out to be as nice and factory looking as yours! If interested, PM me! I am serious.

I am loving it!
Old 01-08-2007 | 05:56 AM
not vtech... VTEC!!!

Looks great!! Well done!
Old 01-08-2007 | 08:25 AM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Great job, that looks awesome...
Old 01-08-2007 | 10:37 AM
Safety Car

Awesome bro great pics!
Old 01-08-2007 | 11:01 AM
acura-cl.com OG

it looks like an 07, great stuff! i will be buying one of those upper mesh sections very soon.
Old 01-08-2007 | 11:04 AM
Kaa - Ching !!!

From: Rhode Island.....Self-Proclaimed Chromed Cousin of Brettallica
Looks nice - but one question....

Why can't we get the whole lower grill pieces including the OEM fog light and swap it out with the regular ones? Are the not the same sizes?
Old 01-08-2007 | 11:05 AM
acura-cl.com OG

it is soooooo much easier on a non a-spec. i dont think i will be taking my lower mesh grilles out again.

On your upper grille, is that part number 71120-SEP-A10ZA ?
Old 01-08-2007 | 03:07 PM
Safety Car

Glad to see more people are relocating the foglight. Nicely done! I really like how you uses the 07 grill with the chrome strip to blend in with the foglight. Word of caution. If your foglight housing is plastic, I don't remcommend you use high wattage bulb or it will warp the len. If I were you, get an HID kit. It's not as hot and wont melt the len.

Good Luck!
Old 01-08-2007 | 03:11 PM
Instructor

Thanks for the compliments everyone.

lookinco,
I always love to help out but I'm afraid that this mod required too much detail (even the lower grills) to try to remake and send off to another TL. The peices are tailored depending on the position of the fog light.
As with most mods, I try to alter and cut my car up as minimal as possible. This is done so I can reinstall the original grills if I ever need to. The only power tools needed were my drill, belt disk sander and electric hand/jigsaw. I only needed the dremel to modify the on/off switch for the fog lights.

This mod required a lot of detailed cutting and sanding/grinding to get the pieces to fit right. I had to go back and forth and test each peice for fitment before things would fall into place. My opinion on the of this mod is that the Fog Lights were the most difficult and took the most time because of the cutting I had to do by hand with a drywall saw.
The center grill was the next difficult to do because I had to divide it into two with a jig saw and then trim off some excess. Acura changed some of the mounting hole positions so I had to use washers to hold it on.
The lower grill grates were actually the easiest to do. Once I cut off the oem fog light hole I used the sander to custom shape it. Take not that a few of the 8 locking tabs you see in the second photo are not in the same place as the original grill even though they appear to be. I used the hand saw to widen the slot on the bumper cover so the tabs would fit.

SteveP66,
You can't use the 07 grill and fog lights because it is longer than the hole in the 05 bumper cover. The 07 grill would have to be cut at the outer edge of the fog light hole forming a "C". Check out the first picture I posted above.

ding069,
I ordered the grated grills for the TL-S but and chose the aluminum bars for standard TL to keep the look consistent with my existing aluminum grill. I do wonder how the black chrome bars would look. Probably a little more subdued.

Here is what I ordered.
Items(s) Part Number Qty.MESH, FR. BUMPER GRILLE *NH533*
- Includes Dealer Installation 71120-SEP-A10ZA 1 $12.29
Subtotal $12.29
Labor Subtotal $0.00
Shipping $0.00
Tax $0.92
Total $13.21

Here are the other parts.
MESH, R. FR. BUMPER (LOWER) *NH533*
- Includes Dealer Installation 71102-SEP-A20ZA 1 $20.09
MESH, L. FR. BUMPER (LOWER) *NH533*
- Includes Dealer Installation 71107-SEP-A20ZA 1 $20.09

BAR, R. FR. BUMPER MESH CROSS (LOWER) *NH669M*
- Includes Dealer Installation 71121-SEP-A10ZA 1 $15.40
BAR, L. FR. BUMPER MESH CROSS (LOWER) *NH669M*
- Includes Dealer Installation 71126-SEP-A10ZA 1 $15.40

Subtotal $70.98
Labor Subtotal $0.00
Shipping $0.00
Tax $5.32
Total $76.30
Old 01-08-2007 | 03:21 PM
acura-cl.com OG

great informative post my friend! i now have an upper grille in transit. hey, i haven't used my dremel in a while, haha
Old 01-08-2007 | 03:26 PM
10th Gear

Man that looks like alot of work... But it came out sweet..!!Looks as good 07..
Old 01-08-2007 | 03:48 PM
Trucki!!

wow impressive!
Old 01-08-2007 | 03:58 PM
Need 4 Speed...

Looks good. I am going to do the same thing with the foglight.
Old 01-08-2007 | 10:05 PM
Got VTEC?

I've always been a fan of the mesh grill. I think it suits the TL well.
Old 01-08-2007 | 11:10 PM
Team Nighthawk member

Great work!!
Old 01-08-2007 | 11:16 PM
2006 TL

That looks awesome! I love it... but am not mechanically inclined - so I am debating whether or not to do it. I got the idea from ua6spec. Good work!
Old 01-08-2007 | 11:37 PM
Advanced

Wow that looks freaking awesome. I want to the my grill and fogs just like that. I would'nt have the patience or time to pull something like that off though so to you.
Old 01-08-2007 | 11:46 PM
Safety Car

Great work Crook.

Could you please post day pics when you get the chance?
Old 01-09-2007 | 08:02 AM
Kaa - Ching !!!

I give you tons of credit Crook - this looks fantastic. Nice work !!

I've always wanted fogs in the lower grill - might try this one out and see how far I can get.

This might be a simple question but I'll ask anyway......lol.
Wiring - I assume you tap into the fuse box and have the seperate switch in the dash? Is it that simple to wire? (I have no auto electrical knowledge to speak of)
Old 01-09-2007 | 12:05 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by SteveP66
This might be a simple question but I'll ask anyway......lol.
Wiring - I assume you tap into the fuse box and have the seperate switch in the dash? Is it that simple to wire? (I have no auto electrical knowledge to speak of).
I used the wiring harness that came with the Accord fog light kit. It was clean and loomed to match the factory wiring in the TL. A relay was included. There were two harnesses. One is used under the hood and the other is in your dash at the switch. Under the hood, one end of the harness plugged into the two fog lights and the other end plugged into the relay. There were 3 wires stubbed out from this harness. Black is grounded, Blue was wired to an inline fuse(purchased separately) and then connected to (constant power) at the bolt where your battery terminal connects to the under the hood fuse box. Pop open the cover and you'll see the two 10mm bolts next to the fuses. The third wire is a green wire which controls the relay. I extended it and ran through the firewall and into the dash to connect to the switch harness' green wire. The switch harness has a red/black wire and a blue wire which I tapped into a parking light wire near the dash fuse box. I grounded the black wire. There is a solid red wire which I did not use. I just taped it off. Finally you just plug the other end into the switch.

The switch works fine and even illuminates for visibility. A second bulb in the switch lights up when the switch is in the "on" position, making it even brighter. My problem with the switch is that the bulbs are white instead of blue and I haven't repainted the button so it looks like I have two VSA buttons on the dash.

I hope this gives you a little more detail to what was involved in my wiring.

Originally Posted by datmrman
Great work Crook.

Could you please post day pics when you get the chance?
Here you go.

Old 01-09-2007 | 12:25 PM
Advanced

Sweet! Nice Job! I sure it was worth all the time and effort.
Old 01-09-2007 | 12:25 PM
Advanced

Sweet! Nice Job! I'm sure it was worth all the time and effort.
Old 01-09-2007 | 12:41 PM
2006 NBP Acura TL

wow! looks like a lot of work, but well worth it.

Old 01-09-2007 | 01:54 PM
Kaa - Ching !!!

My god, that is beautiful.

Thanks so much for the explanation on the wiring too - it really helps me understand what to do. I think I'm going to give this a try in the spring (when the temps get warmer and I can work outside)(No garage).......for now I'm going to gather up some lights, grills and get myself ready to go.

Crook - excellant job !!!!! thumbs up !
Old 01-09-2007 | 03:16 PM
Instructor

Awesome job. A bit too much for me to tackle but excellent work on your part. You have skills.
Old 01-09-2007 | 04:05 PM
Safety Car

how exactly do the accord fog lights stay in their housings without falling off? besides the wiring of course
Old 01-09-2007 | 05:01 PM
I like to whistle in my

nice job...i need something to do on the side, as if i dont have enough work, to work on for the car...i still wanna do a carputer but it gets expensive. Not sure if wanna start that project again. Guess i'll just have to get creative again like i did with my previous cars
Old 01-09-2007 | 05:06 PM
My Daily Driver

wow. Great info and nice job. Marking this thread for future reference!
Old 01-10-2007 | 05:29 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by bforbrian
how exactly do the accord fog lights stay in their housings without falling off? besides the wiring of course
The actual light is attached to the black shroud by a screw on each side. There are four screw holes at the rear side of the light. I believe there were two in the plastic shroud and two int he metal light housing. I took the metal brackets that were included with the fog light kit and bent them to rigg them to work. Even the screws were included. On one of them, I attached an end to the screw holes on the light and the other end was screwed through the plastic of the bumper cover. If you cut the hole in the bumper cover small enough, you could just attach the other bracket to the light and it will lock it in place somewhat. They are tight and won't vibrate. The cold air intake hole is only partially obstructed by the fog light. Check out the photo below.

This is important, aim them before you tighten down the brackets to the bumber cover. Trust me on this one. I learned the hard way. You want to make sure the lights are aimed downward a little or else they will shine above the headlights and annoy other drivers. I didn't realize how high the beam was until I put everything back together. Once it was together, it is almost impossible to get to the bracket screws to re-aim them.

Anyone else have any questions, just holler.

Old 01-10-2007 | 10:27 AM
Safety Car

YEEAAAAA I ordered all the good today!!! i cant waaaaaiiiittt!! lol Crook do you have the ebay auction that u ordered the lens from available? aaaaand is it plastic?
Old 01-10-2007 | 04:09 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tripnbeats
YEEAAAAA I ordered all the good today!!! i cant waaaaaiiiittt!! lol Crook do you have the ebay auction that u ordered the lens from available? aaaaand is it plastic?
I went out to the garage and tapped on the lenses and they sound like they are plastic. Similar to the plastic covering the headlights.

I did order the light kit off of ebay and my total came to around $60. I think it was $40 for the lights and to make some profit they charged $20 for shipping. They shipped it out the next day but delivery took over a week because DHL was used during the Christmas holiday rush.

Are we allowed to post ebay links? Anyway, I ordered from a seller named trendgear. Do a search in ebay for "honda accord fog trendgear" and check the results. I got the 03-05 ACCORD 4DR OEM FOG LIGHTS FOGLIGHT KIT JDM (Clear).
Old 01-10-2007 | 07:29 PM
Kaa - Ching !!!

Crook > > > > "The cold air intake hole is only partially obstructed by the fog light. "

Does this cause any problems....? Is it a big deal??
Old 01-10-2007 | 07:57 PM
Kaa - Ching !!!

Originally Posted by Tripnbeats

I just ordered everything I needed as well. This is crazy LOL - I'll add these things to my pile of mods I wanna do when the weather gets warmer. LOL

Crook (I know you are getting like 100 questions on this) will the Accord switch work? I know you said above that you used a VSA switch was just wondering why......being a former 2003 Accord owner it looks like the VSA and the Accord switch are exactly the same size.
Old 01-10-2007 | 09:16 PM
Instructor

Crook > > > > "The cold air intake hole is only partially obstructed by the fog light."

Does this cause any problems....? Is it a big deal??

It should really be called a "cooler air inlet" but to answer your question, No, the partial obstruction will not make any noticeable difference although the heat from the fog light housing may raise the air temperature a little but not by much at all. Don't worry, I don't think you'll notice any difference in performance.

(I know you are getting like 100 questions on this) will the Accord switch work? I know you said above that you used a VSA switch was just wondering why......being a former 2003 Accord owner it looks like the VSA and the Accord switch are exactly the same size.
I don't mind the questions at all. Hopefully I can some people out.

You can't use the Accord switch because the button is too big for the rectangular hold in the dash. I actually did not use the VSA switch entirely. I only used the black button or face from the switch. It will unclip from the VSA switch housing.
I had to grind off the face of the Accord button and then glue the leftover piece to the VSA button. I used 5 minute epoxy to glue them together. Before gluing, put the switch back together and test the fitment and the mechanism to make sure it will work. Make sure you center it perfectly before the glue dries or else it won't align in the dash hole correctly.

Old 01-10-2007 | 09:24 PM
Kaa - Ching !!!

Thanks buddy - This is really really great. You did an awesome job and I'm glad you don't mind the questions. I'm hoping to get this started in a couple months (Spring) the TL is my daily driver so I have to make sure I got everything before I get started on it. Once I start I won't stop until it's done.....
Old 01-10-2007 | 11:06 PM
King of NYC

Another great idea come to life! The job looks choppy and scary but the end result is amazing! Very clean and stock looking. Too bad most people won't notice except for us fellow TLers. It's worth the self-satisfaction, you should be proud!
Old 01-28-2007 | 08:33 AM
Instructor

It looks awsome!!! I have 2 question:

1. Why cant you use the 07 light and housing (obviously the housing would need to be cut off and overlayed as you did with the honda one)? I would think it might be easier than having to cut and reshape the honda housing and light assemble...but I am sure you have a good reason.

2. Do you still have use of the original foglights in the head light assembly? Or could you turn them into driving lights...that would be cool as well.

Again, AWSOME job!!! I wish you were closer to me so I could "Bribe" you to do it for me!!!!
Old 01-28-2007 | 09:00 AM
Kaa - Ching !!!

One reason could be the OEM Fogs for an 07 cost $196.00 a piece.......
Old 01-28-2007 | 10:41 AM
Kaa - Ching !!!

Originally Posted by Bob05tl
It looks awsome!!! I have 2 question:

1. Why cant you use the 07 light and housing (obviously the housing would need to be cut off and overlayed as you did with the honda one)? I would think it might be easier than having to cut and reshape the honda housing and light assemble...but I am sure you have a good reason.

2. Do you still have use of the original foglights in the head light assembly? Or could you turn them into driving lights...that would be cool as well.

Again, AWSOME job!!! I wish you were closer to me so I could "Bribe" you to do it for me!!!!

I am going to give it a try in the spring. I have the parts I need and I can understand why he used the Honda fogs. The grills for the 06 and 07 are different sizes and shapes (on the end) The 06 has a nice curve on the end and the 07 comes down to a corner. (See the pics further back) I'm going to try to use the 07 grills and resize and reshape them so that it looks a little more OEM but I don't know if it's going to work. I imagine Crook would have looked into this already as he really knows what he is doing.

Quick Reply: Grate Grin On A Stock 05 TL