Got the recall letter

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2004 | 11:32 AM
Cruisin'

Got the recall letter

Thanks to this site, this is not a surprise. I'm a bit disappointed at getting to know the service people so well. This is starting to remind me of when I owned a Chrysler product because I have a few other things that they need to fix while its in for the transmission (door rattle and passenger side window chatters as it goes down). Also had to have the CD player replaced and the power seat module replaced (which has fixed the memory problem by the way)

Now, how many times has my 2001 Regal GS been back for problems? NEVER! Flawless from day one and still is.

This is my wife's car and she kept telling me how great the Japanese cars are. Well, so far, I can't say that I am too impressed with this alleged quality of the Japanese cars.

Love the TL but as far as quality and lack of problems, GM is way ahead in my household.
Old 09-13-2004 | 11:41 AM
Team Anthracite Peon

Sorry you've had issues, but I guess I get to be the one to state the obvious. First, the TL is NOT a Japanese car. It is made in the U.S. and no it's not a solidly built as a car made in Japan (at least from my first-hand experiences) but it's still much better built than any domestic I've had. Second, all new cars (especially first year of new remodel) have minor problems here and there. Third, sell your wife's TL and buy her a GM if it's really bothering you that much.

-X-
Old 09-13-2004 | 11:47 AM
Cruisin'

Tell him how you really feel....
Old 09-13-2004 | 11:58 AM
Supreme Underlord/Abyss

Originally Posted by 04ABYSSTL

Love the TL but as far as quality and lack of problems, GM is way ahead in my household.
Your experiences are atypical of '04 TL owners. Most cars are built with a bug or two or develop them early on. A "typical" Acura owner is less likely to have problems than a "typical" GM owner, though Buick is known as one of the most reliable domestic brands.

My late production '04 (vin 55340something) has had NO problems, rattles, paint issues, falling headliner, etc in 2 1/2 months and 2,000+ miles. I won't be surprised if the transmission recall is extended to include the later production cars, but then I also kinda expected it based on what I read here prior to buying my car.

I hope your TL issues are resolved to your satisfaction. It's really a fantastic car and it would be a shame if the bugs take away from your enjoyment.

Good luck!
Old 09-13-2004 | 12:03 PM
Desi Pride

A side from the tranny issue on the 2nd gen my TL has been good to me. I will not by another domestic make ever, unless of course I buy a big SUV, which I dought. LOL. I am getting a German ride next. If you are gona dog the TL that bad, you are in the wrong forum Buddy, so get scooting. The Buick is a boring ride. LOL. As a pervious post said the TL is made in the USA. Have you ever owned a Honda before, that was made in Japan? If not don't talk to me about quality then. Can your Buick hold 50% or more of its orginal value after 5 years? I think not! My
Old 09-13-2004 | 12:12 PM
Team Anthracite Peon

Originally Posted by STAC
Tell him how you really feel....
I hate being negative on this forum, since there's already quite a bit of it here. But it really irks me when people say things like "alleged quality of the Japanese cars" and make blanket statements on the TL overall. I've never gone back to domestic cars ever since I bought my first Honda (97 Prelude). If someone else wants to talk about the reliability of their GM, please do it somewhere else.

-X-
Old 09-13-2004 | 12:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Can't tell a book by its cover...

Originally Posted by Xerxes480
Sorry you've had issues, but I guess I get to be the one to state the obvious. First, the TL is NOT a Japanese car. It is made in the U.S. and no it's not a solidly built as a car made in Japan (at least from my first-hand experiences) but it's still much better built than any domestic I've had. Second, all new cars (especially first year of new remodel) have minor problems here and there. Third, sell your wife's TL and buy her a GM if it's really bothering you that much.

-X-
Interestingly, the only major part of the TL made in Japan is the automatic transmission. Check the label. There's a Lexus owner here who always says that the TL is poor quality because it has a bad tranny and is American built. I refer you to the first sentence.

XP
Old 09-13-2004 | 12:14 PM
Senior Moderator

When?

Thanks to this site, this is not a surprise.

What is the build date or Serial No. of your TL? (approx)

XP
Old 09-13-2004 | 12:16 PM
Team Anthracite Peon

Originally Posted by Xpditor
Interestingly, the only major part of the TL made in Japan is the automatic transmission. Check the label. There's a Lexus owner here who always says that the TL is poor quality because it has a bad tranny and is American built. I refer you to the first sentence.

XP
Wow, that is interesting. What is it with Honda and their automatic transmissions? Oh well, I love my TL. Zero issues for me so far.

-X-
Old 09-13-2004 | 03:32 PM
Retired MOD

Is all about expectations !!!! I'm sure you were expecting an excellent car that turns out to be just great. In the other hand you were no expecting much good from a GM, but turnout to be better than expected making you a happy man with GM. Case solved
Old 09-13-2004 | 03:44 PM
16GS FSprt,03Max,12 335is

Originally Posted by Xerxes480
Wow, that is interesting. What is it with Honda and their automatic transmissions? Oh well, I love my TL. Zero issues for me so far.

-X-
I hear ya it seems like after all of these years since the 80's they would have the auto tranny down pat, in the 80's to mid 90's they made the most jerky automatic transmissions out there. I remember my brothers 93 Accord you could visibly see it shiftting from 1st to 2nd. Honda does make some of the best manuals out their on the other hand.
Old 09-13-2004 | 03:46 PM
Cruisin'

Actually, I was trying to push my wife to the new Grand Prix GTP. She was looking at Toyotas (Highlander, Camry, and Avalon). Talk about boring!!! The TL was sort of a compromise - she wanted a trouble free (in her mind, Japanese) car and I liked the look and performance.

Anyway, I do love the TL and I don't regret buying it - just disappointed that I have had issues.
Old 09-13-2004 | 03:49 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Xpditor
What is the build date or Serial No. of your TL? (approx)

XP
Early - October 2003. My VIN is in the 3XXX range. I had one of the first ones on the road.
Old 09-13-2004 | 06:11 PM
Not a Blowhole

The Marysville plant has consistently ranked at the top of Honda assembly plants, and has tied with a Honda Japanese plant as Silver Award winner by JD Power. Honda exports cars made at Marysville, for cryin' out loud. US-bashing starts to smell of xenophobia and outright cultural bias, based on some of the comments I have seen in other posts on this topic. All new cars have some issues - my car has been trouble-free and quiet, more so as the miles accumulate and the little niggling rubbing and bumping cause parts to smooth out and settle in. I do not like the EL42's after they sit for a few days, until they warm up - that is not surprising to anyone.

Like others, I find it remarkable that the weakest link in the car's 2nd and 3rd Gen history has been its Japanese designed and built auto-tranny. The fact that it is made by a supplier of trannies to the big German prestige companies somewhat balances things, but why is no one saying that "Japanese tranny workers suck"?
Old 09-14-2004 | 04:49 PM
Advanced

Actually, I was trying to push my wife to the new Grand Prix GTP. She was looking at Toyotas (Highlander, Camry, and Avalon). Talk about boring!!! The TL was sort of a compromise - she wanted a trouble free (in her mind, Japanese) car and I liked the look and performance.

Anyway, I do love the TL and I don't regret buying it - just disappointed that I have had issues.
Personally I think all the Pontiacs are hideous. My beef with many domestics is, their interiors are lacking big time. I especially hate GM interiors. I don't understand why GM can't get their act together on the interiors. Ford is starting to realize their interiors blow. Look at the new F series trucks and new Navigators, much better.