Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got Rear Ended...Need Advice (UPDATE: REPAIRED! 1/17/12

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 06:35 PM
TL-S

Received 413 Likes on 366 Posts
Update today; 1/09/12

Well the car spent the last week in the shop. Last Monday they took off the bumper and found virtually no damage underneath. The only thing that was damaged slightly was the plastic/composite shock absorber. The steel reinforcement bar was still perfectly fine, unbent and undamaged.

They sent a supplement for an extra few hundred bucks to the insurance company Tuesday of last week and have been waiting to hear back ever since. Today it was finally approved so work starts tomorrow on the car.

In the meantime I picked up a rental since its on State Farm's dime. They had only approved me for a "Full Size" which basically means Impala or some other shitty domestic (sorry but its true!). I called State Farm and they said that they weren't required to offer me a Luxury car even though my car was luxury. They were only required by law to provide me with something of similar size. When I called Enterprise I got lucky and the guy was really cool. He upgraded me to "Premium Sedan" which means an import 4dr, 2011 Honda Accord. It was okay, I just got bored of it and stopped by again a couple days later, and he offered me a 2012 VW CC.

Damn this car is fun to drive...Plenty of nice features and its got some power for such a big car. I hate VWs with a passion; but when they're new and they actually run...they're nice! And to top it off, he gave it to me with 3/4 of a tank of gas and wrote on the paper that it was empty, meaning I'm required to return it empty.

On a side note, I stopped by the Acura Dealer today to have a buddy mount and balance some tires on my stockies and saw this WDP UA6 with a primed RJ kit. Anyone know whose it is? I think it had DC Plates.

Old 01-09-2012, 06:48 PM
A6 and TL

Received 145 Likes on 123 Posts
The hood is also primed??
Old 01-09-2012, 07:01 PM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
^^^ LOL....

OP: dude i just got back from VA....LOL....we all should have met up

EDIT: The CC looks fine
Old 01-09-2012, 07:24 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
RonJon kit FTW.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:31 PM
TL-S

Got her back from the body shop! 1/17/12

Hey all,

Well I finally got to pick my car up from the body shop today. It was supposed to be done yesterday but they called me and said they still had to clean/wash/wax it so I decided to pick it up today instead.

Here are some pics of when I went by to see it last Friday and they had the exhaust installed and bumper on for a test fit. I also had some scratches and damage repaired on the driver's side rear door and quarter panel, which came out great.

Here are the final pics when I picked it up today. Don't worry, I re-installed my 5 spoke stockies on for now when I got home lol. I may be selling my A-Spec rims soon so I didn't want to put them on just yet. These were quick pics from the body shop when I first got there. I was running late for work so didn't have too much time to stick around.

Overall I'm satisfied with the car. Everything looks great and they did an excellent job! In the pics, it looks like the A-spec is sagging just a little bit so I might take it back along with some extra strong 3m tape and have it adjusted. It looks pretty good though, almost right on, no? Also the exhaust tips are ALMOST perfect, but may be a little bit off. I'll have to take a closer look tomorrow in the daylight. Honestly I was sad to turn in the 2012 CC, the TL will take some getting used to again...

I even got some money left over from parts (they gave me parts at cost, no markup!!) and since I was able to find a used Type-S exhaust I didn't have to spring for a new one which also helped save some money. I'll most likely be using it for a professional interior detail and some coilovers in the spring... Not sure.

Last edited by quanaman; 01-17-2012 at 11:43 PM.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:24 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
very nice. needs a drop...and you need to never put those heinous green CIVIC wheels back on your car. looking good though otherwise.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:49 AM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
i rememeber your car..because you p[osted some pics o it with the same rims.. glad to know you are ok and that the car is looking good.. good luck
Old 01-18-2012, 08:27 AM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
It looks back to normal-I'm still getting used to those wheels....LOL!
Old 01-18-2012, 11:08 AM

came out great....glad you switched to stockies....we need photo proof of that else :ban: LOL....
Old 01-18-2012, 05:13 PM
TL-S

Thanks guys. I've been driving it around all day today and its good to be back in my own car.

I just need to figure out why my keyless entry FOBs wont work. I tried programming and everything and got no luck. None of the buttons on any of my 3 remotes work. Could it be because the battery was dead for a few days? I had to input my navi and radio passwords and my trip meters were all zero'd out.

I may have to suck it up and take it to the dealer. Its so damn annoying to have to walk back to the car and key lock it after I realize my remote doesn't work EVERYTIME I PARK!

Edit: Thanks for updating the title Steven.

Last edited by quanaman; 01-18-2012 at 05:18 PM.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:40 AM
**The Catfish**

Received 549 Likes on 440 Posts
looks good man, glad to hear everything worked out. Not sure if i missed it or what, but was the navi system ok? We should meet up sometime or get a photoshoot together. I have a couple other buddies out in the gainesville area with UA7's. hit me up!
Old 01-19-2012, 02:11 PM
TL-S

Thanks! That sounds good!

The Nav system went back to normal by itself. Not sure what happened but I kind of wish it stayed broken so I could have had it repaired/replaced by the insurance company. It works perfectly fine now though so I guess I can't complain.

I went to Radley Acura and asked them if there was anything they could check to see if it was affected by any impact. Stupid service women was basically like "If its working, its working."

I'm just concerned with my Keyless entry problem now...But I'm supposed to have it looked at tomorrow by a friend that works at Acura and again on Monday by the body shop.

Last edited by quanaman; 01-19-2012 at 02:13 PM.
Old 01-19-2012, 03:06 PM

^^^ even the nav system didnt like the green wheels....the minute you switched to stockies, its up and running
Old 01-19-2012, 11:45 PM
TL-S

Applying for "Diminished Value"

Hey guys,

Well I got my car back after someone rear ended me and its fine now.

I've heard of some people filing with the insurance company for diminished value. Meaning the car is now worth less money than before the accident. Easy.

I know better than to try to approach the insurance company unprepared. I did, however, ask them in the beginning how it works. They said something about scheduling an appointment with an adjuster or something after all repairs were completed.

Has anyone had any experience with applying? Any advice or tips? I'm sure the insurance company will not be forthcoming and easy about it but as long as I don't have to go to court I'm happy to try it, after all the accident wasn't my fault. The car has been in an accident before this one, so I'm not sure if that affects it or not.

I know the laws vary from state to state, but I'm from Virginia and as far as I know you're allowed to apply for Diminished Value IF you're not the liable party (meaning you can't file against your own insurance company, only if another driver hits you and its their fault you can file against them).

Thanks AZ.
Old 01-20-2012, 05:11 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
Not sure how it work, never had to file it before. I don't think it would To hard. If anything look up some Tl's that have been crashed and see how $ they are worth and then look up a clean one.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:41 AM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
It varies state to state...but it depends on the amount of damage...usually 10-15% of the damages is a good number
Old 01-20-2012, 07:57 AM
MMkay.

Received 188 Likes on 154 Posts
wow; never heard of that. If you do go thru with it; let us know.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:29 AM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
OP - your initial assessment of the state laws is correct, not every state recognizes diminished value but I believe Virginia does. And yes it has to be a situation where someone else causes the damage and you are not at fault.

Normally, you can pursue this by comparing values of similar cars that do not have prior accidents vs ones that do. So find advertised prices of cars claiming to be accident free vs similar cars that have past accidents but have been repaired.

Your case might be a little iffy if there was a prior accident already. It would depend on the amount of damage on the prior accident. Essentially, you can't claim that your car was accident free before this latest accident.

Good luck.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:31 AM
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by quanaman
I've heard of some people filing with the insurance company for diminished value. Meaning the car is now worth less money than before the accident. Easy.
I take it you're wanting to do this to get your insurance premium down? Unlike home insurance, the bulk of the insurance premium you pay is made up of liability, not asset replacement. That is, you're not really insuring your vehicle per se; more like you're insuring you driving your vehicle (if you can split that hair). So lowering your vehicle value will likely have little downward effect on premium price - if that is what you're trying to acheive.

When you go to sell, however, likely the diminished value will be registered on title, which will scare a lot of buyers away if they pull a Carfax on the car.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:42 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by VicTL06
I take it you're wanting to do this to get your insurance premium down? Unlike home insurance, the bulk of the insurance premium you pay is made up of liability, not asset replacement. That is, you're not really insuring your vehicle per se; more like you're insuring you driving your vehicle (if you can split that hair). So lowering your vehicle value will likely have little downward effect on premium price - if that is what you're trying to acheive.

When you go to sell, however, likely the diminished value will be registered on title, which will scare a lot of buyers away if they pull a Carfax on the car.
That's not what he is doing at all. He is saying that even though the guilty party's insurance paid for the repairs, his car is worth less now because it has lower resale value since it was in an accident. He is hoping the insurance company cuts him a check to account for this "dimished value".

In many states, this is allowed, but typically only if you were not at fault and another party causes the damage. But his case is a little weak since he admitted that his car was in an accident prior to this recent accident. The insurance company may point out that the value of his car was already "dimished" by the first accident. Since the OP did not give any information about the first accident, we can't speculate any further.
Old 01-20-2012, 08:31 PM
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 39 Posts
Oh I see what you're saying. I'm just used to a super-assaholic state-owned auto insurance monopoly and I doubt they would ever cut a cheque for that. That's good to know.